First grow. Autoflowers in promix hp

• Thread starter Knifemaker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Update day 19
Hi guys got a couple things going on this morning some good some maybe not so good....

Gelato (Elayne) took her node removal like a champ. Like she didnt even notice
20190524 080248

20190524 080301

She looks downright happy.

Northern lights (Min) is plugging along. Still a bit pale but putting on new growth and leaves raised up praying to the Sp250.

20190524 080305

20190524 080312

20190524 080714

I started with some LST on her this morning.

My problem child Zkittles (Aviendha) is showing some discoloration on the new growth. It is coming in very yellow, not the noce bright green it was pushing out at the begining.

20190524 080318
20190524 080326

My 4th seed that I dropped Wednesday night had split its shell by last night and got put into damp paper towel. I'm going to try starting it in a smaller container and up potting one time after establoshing a root ball to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for looking
Have a knife day
StaySharp

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Update day 19
Hi guys got a couple things going on this morning some good some maybe not so good....

Gelato (Elayne) took her node removal like a champ. Like she didnt even notice

She looks downright happy.

Northern lights (Min) is plugging along. Still a bit pale but putting on new growth and leaves raised up praying to the Sp250.

I started with some LST on her this morning.

My problem child Zkittles (Aviendha) is showing some discoloration on the new growth. It is coming in very yellow, not the noce bright green it was pushing out at the begining.

My 4th seed that I dropped Wednesday night had split its shell by last night and got put into damp paper towel. I'm going to try starting it in a smaller container and up potting one time after establoshing a root ball to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for looking
Have a knife day
StaySharp
I wouldn't think that the ZKittles is having any issues if your other ones are doing fine, although I haven't seen any side by side comparisons. It is most likely just a difference in the strain's way of growing unless it is very pronounced. They get a lot darker green as the leaves grow older, with new vegetative growth being a pretty light shade of green... sometimes they can look like flowers/pistils, making the sexing job a little scary until you let the plants grow a little more to reveal their sex without a doubt. If you are up for it, post a pic or two of the ZKittles plant as well as another of yours, and it will make it easier to figure out the problem, if any.
***UPDATE***
I looked at the ZKittles picture and I think the main issue is that the Zkittles appears to be more of a Sativa influenced plant, instead of the fast-out-of-the-gate Indica's, whih have the stocky stems, huge fan leaves, and hard nuggets for buds. The ZKittles appears more Sativa influenced, with skinnier leaves, a slower startoff, and less dense buds. I would think that this is why you are seeing a big difference between the ZK and the others that are growing. I'm willing to bet that the ZK has a solid stem, while the others will have a hollow main stem.

Last edited:
Knifemaker

Knifemaker

I wouldn't think that the ZKittles is having any issues if your other ones are doing fine, although I haven't seen any side by side comparisons. It is most likely just a difference in the strain's way of growing unless it is very pronounced. They get a lot darker green as the leaves grow older, with new vegetative growth being a pretty light shade of green... sometimes they can look like flowers/pistils, making the sexing job a little scary until you let the plants grow a little more to reveal their sex without a doubt. If you are up for it, post a pic or two of the ZKittles plant as well as another of yours, and it will make it easier to figure out the problem, if any.
Are you not seeing the pictures? All 3 plants are the same age but Gelato had 5 nodes, NL has 4 and Zkittles barely has 2 the newest leaves thatbate poking out the centre are growing but veeerrrryyyy slowly compared to the other two.
This new growth has turned quite yellow. It has been slow and small since day 1 because it climed out of the soil and I had to replant it.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Are you not seeing the pictures? All 3 plants are the same age but Gelato had 5 nodes, NL has 4 and Zkittles barely has 2 the newest leaves thatbate poking out the centre are growing but veeerrrryyyy slowly compared to the other two.
This new growth has turned quite yellow. It has been slow and small since day 1 because it climed out of the soil and I had to replant it.
The pics didn't show up at first. I DO see a little lightening of the growth...maybe. It is so small and young, that it's hard to say what will be the outcome. Sativa's don't seem to tolerate "hot" soils as well as Indica strains, so maybe that has something to do with the problems. The plant is young and growing...the next few days should tell it's future. The roots might be talking a while to get established, but they usually make up for the slow start once they get growing in alternate node growth.
Sorry for the earlier confusion about the pictures!

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Update day 20
spent the weekend out at the inlaw's farm. Its nice to get out of the city and relax in the country now and then.

Got home to 2 positives and one negative

Gonna start with the negative, my problem child Zkittles is looking very sick. Rust spots on her oldest growth and her newest growth has holes in it. Neither of my other plants look like they have any issues at all but zkittles looks like might be on deaths door.

20190526_202102.jpg

20190526_202059.jpg

20190526_202056.jpg

20190526_202051.jpg

20190526_202047.jpg

Northern lights (Min)
Is getting LST, I think its going well. Training her towards the edge of the pot and keeping her crown level with the top of Gelato.

20190526_202128.jpg

20190526_202136.jpg

Gelato (Elayne) is a rock star. Took the node removal and topping like it was nothing. After a 2 day break from the stress of the removals I have begun gently training down the 3rd node.

20190526_202108.jpg

20190526_202123.jpg

What is everyone's opinion is Zkittles going to stand a chance or should I cut bait and repalce her with the 4th seed that I just planted in a 1L pot to experiment with up potting an auto?

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Morning everyone, checked in on my garden before leaving for work this morning, as I do, and man oh man maybe it's my imagination but Gelato and Northern Lights really put on some new growth overnight. I had to readjust my tie down on NL and I had to move the garden staples on my quadline attempt. I was also able to get staples onto the little branches of node 4.

20190528_063925.jpg

20190528_063944.jpg

20190528_063950.jpg

20190528_064000.jpg

Also on a bit of a positive note for Zkittles, it also might be my imagination but the yellowing seems to be going away? Still clawing pretty good and deffinately not happy yet but trying to pray toward the light. Also seems to have put on some new growth as well.

20190528_063921.jpg

20190528_063915.jpg

All 3 pots are feeling pretty light so I'll be watering this evening at lights on.
I've been getting conflicting opinions about what I should be giving these littles in their water. Mainly calmag, some guys are saying give them full dose of calmag every watering. Others are saying to only give calmag when they show signs that they are needing it.

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Update day 23
Cruising right now! All 3 got watered last night right at lights on. In 3 Gallons of RO water I did a full 12ml dose of calmag, a 10ml half dose each of MGB and a 12ml half dose each of voodoo juice and B52. Each plant got watered 2 cups at a time with about a 15 min break when the jug was half empty. Got quite a bit more runoff on Zkittles than on either Gelato or NL even tho they all got the same amount put in. They had all just started dripping out the bottom as I finished pouring in the last of the water. Got about a cup each off Gelato and NL but Zkittles at least double that.
Zkittles is deffinately looking better. Not nearly as yellow although the leaves are still clawing

20190529_202351.jpg

20190529_202334.jpg

Northern Lights seems to be doing great with only LST. Added a second tiedown and tightened the first one.

20190529_201951.jpg

20190529_202026.jpg

Gelato, my auto quad is still the main attraction in my tent. The main stem on her is about 1/4" wide and the branches at node one are really packing on the girth now too. Needed to add another pair of garden staples to hold them down.

20190529_202039.jpg

20190529_202218.jpg

And lastly Zkittles#2 made its way into the world this afternoon with a bit of assistance to get its helmet and sack off but its up and Ill be calling today its day 1.

20190529_204844.jpg

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Update day 25
Good morning everyone, hope everyone had a great week and getting ready for the weekend.

My little garden is making daily gains and the growth is noticeable between evening and morning checks.

Lowered the sp250 from 30" above down to 24" above last night at lights on and this morning all 3 still looking very happy.

Gelato, just keeps doing it's thing. Getting bigger and loving the quadline training she's getting.

20190531_063251.jpg

20190531_063334.jpg

Northern Lights, getting LST is also doing great. Almost have her be t all the way to the side of the pot and then I'll start it around the edge. We'll see how far it gets before starting to flower.

20190531_063339.jpg

20190531_063353.jpg

My sickly child Zkittles seems to have bounced back. All that ugly yellow colouring has gone back to green and its deffinately getting taller. Infact it is now as tall standing straight, as the other two with their respective training methods.
Still clawing a bit but even that seems to be getting better.

20190531_063155.jpg

20190531_063212.jpg

Lastly Zkittles #2
No real change since its last update. Hasn't even stood all the way up yet. Hopefully not a bad sign already....

20190531_063413.jpg

Well thats it for now, have a great weekend
StaySharp

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Morning everyone, checked in on my garden before leaving for work this morning, as I do, and man oh man maybe it's my imagination but Gelato and Northern Lights really put on some new growth overnight. I had to readjust my tie down on NL and I had to move the garden staples on my quadline attempt. I was also able to get staples onto the little branches of node 4.

All 3 pots are feeling pretty light so I'll be watering this evening at lights on.
I've been getting conflicting opinions about what I should be giving these littles in their water. Mainly calmag, some guys are saying give them full dose of calmag every watering. Others are saying to only give calmag when they show signs that they are needing it.
Everything is looking good. The plants are too small to really need much of anything and shouldn't be showing deficiencies, especially in Promix. I've never used Calmag with Promix, mainly because I use tap water that has enough calcium and magnesium in it and too much calcium can throw off the Ph and impede magnesium uptake..the very thing it should prevent. Everything in a balance. You should be seeing good root growth, which is why I think the Zkittles was stunted at first. Once the roots are developed I keep them well hydrated since the Promix doesn't normally hold a excess of water. Damp is the soil condition I try to achieve. If I can squeeze more than a couple drops of water out of it 6 hours after watering, then it might be holding too much water. As for fertilizing, I usually do it about every 10 days with a normal dose, although smaller plants take a lot less fertilizer than a 9 ft tree, so I always go easy on nutes...you can add more but removing it is difficult.

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Everything is looking good. The plants are too small to really need much of anything and shouldn't be showing deficiencies, especially in Promix. I've never used Calmag with Promix, mainly because I use tap water that has enough calcium and magnesium in it and too much calcium can throw off the Ph and impede magnesium uptake..the very thing it should prevent. Everything in a balance. You should be seeing good root growth, which is why I think the Zkittles was stunted at first. Once the roots are developed I keep them well hydrated since the Promix doesn't normally hold a excess of water. Damp is the soil condition I try to achieve. If I can squeeze more than a couple drops of water out of it 6 hours after watering, then it might be holding too much water. As for fertilizing, I usually do it about every 10 days with a normal dose, although smaller plants take a lot less fertilizer than a 9 ft tree, so I always go easy on nutes...you can add more but removing it is difficult.
The advice given to me on another forum had me up the nutes. It was deffinately showing calmag deficiencies along with other issues with all the rust spots, clawing, canoeing mottled leaves etc.
I'm using only RO water because the tap water here is quite hard. The good feed has zkittles on the rebound and putting on new growth.
Remember these are autoflower strains and I've got them in 5Gal pots. They are almost a month old now so they're going to start flowering in the next couple weeks.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The advice given to me on another forum had me up the nutes. It was deffinately showing calmag deficiencies along with other issues with all the rust spots, clawing, canoeing mottled leaves etc.
I'm using only RO water because the tap water here is quite hard. The good feed has zkittles on the rebound and putting on new growth.
Remember these are autoflower strains and I've got them in 5Gal pots. They are almost a month old now so they're going to start flowering in the next couple weeks.
I'm glad to hear that things are looking up! How hard is the tap water? The minerals that make it hard are the same ones that Cal-Mag replaces. I really don't know anything about autoflowers in particular, but I'm usually pretty good at general plant health. I have had a few plants, namely Jack Herer, that sprouted then seemed to stall for a week or so. I was ready to toss it and removed it, only to find a surprisingly large root system for the tiny plant above ground. I guess they sometimes grow the root base first, then put on a big push of new growth... in my case it caught up to it's others in size within a month and a half after being half the size of the next smallest plant.
I'm glad to hear of the happy ending. Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop.

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Your yield is gonna be effected by this for sure.
Auto flowers need to have as little stress as possible but from the pics your doing great. Good job dude

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Your yield is gonna be effected by this for sure.
Auto flowers need to have as little stress as possible but from the pics your doing great. Good job dude
Yeah I'm afraid you're right. Since its my first grow I was expecting to make mistakes and not get the weight off them as I'd like but if I can get 3 oz total I'll consider it a success.
My next run I'm going to try the same 3 strains but in the Doc Bud's High Brix Blend kit.
Ive got my kit soil cooking away and it will be ready to use in about 3 more weeks. Once this group gets chopped Ill start the next ones. Should see a massive difference between this group and the next one if the kit works for me like it does for the other people using it.
Screenshot 20190522 202332 Facebook

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Good morning, hope everyone had a great weekend. We're dealing with alot of smoke from a forest fire that is burning about 5 hours north of us. Thursday the air quality advisory was at a 10, it was so smoky it was like twilight all day. It has improved some since then but still pretty hazy.

My garden is coming along nicely. All 3 of my plants are making solid gains every day.

Gelato ( Elayne )
Still loving the quadline treatment. Little bdsm freak she is lol
While trying to get some light into the lower reaches I was trying to bend some of the fan leaves out of the way and broke 3 off... decided to leave her alone after readjusting the tie downs.

20190603_063938.jpg

20190603_063953.jpg

20190603_064015.jpg

Northern Lights (Min)
Doing quite well with the LST. This plant seems downright dainty compared to Gelato. The leaves aren't as tough feeling and the stems are thinner and more pliable. I've started training the lower branches out the opposite direction from the main stem in order to open them up to the light more.

20190603_064043.jpg

20190603_064059.jpg

Zkittles (Aviendha)
Seems to have almost made a full recovery. New growth all over and even the clawingnhas almost entirely gone away.

20190603_063913.jpg

20190603_063925.jpg

Zkittles#2 (Z-2)
Still no reall progress. Hasnt stood up yet but also doesnt seem to be dying so there's that....

20190603_064344.jpg

Well that's it for now. Have a great f
Monday
StaySharp

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Update day 30

Hey all you 420 fanatics here we are with another mid week update.
Yesterday I lowered the Sp250 from 24 down to 20" above Gelato who is currently the tallest of the 3. They all seem pretty happy with the change. I imagine I'll be raising it back up as the girls stretch at flowering to keep from burning them.
All 3 got a good drink with half dose of week 3 level nutrients. 12ml calmag, 23ml m-g-b and 12ml B52 in 3 gal of RO water.

Group shot

20190605_204406.jpg

Gelato (Elayne) is going bonkers, I've been leaf tucking/bending and trying to keep my canopy level. Resorted to a bit of mild supercropping on a couple of the taller centre branches.

20190605_203620.jpg

20190605_203637.jpg

While watering the ladies this evening I happened to lift some leaves as to not splash them and saw this on Elayne

20190605_202148.jpg

Northern Lights (Min) not really seeing the explosive growth I'm getting with Elayne but definitely getting bigger. Maybe this latest watering will get her going.

20190605_203948.jpg

20190605_203935.jpg

20190605_204011.jpg

Zkittles (Aviendha) chugging along, growing slowly still but has gotten taller than Min (as LST'd)

20190605_203504.jpg

20190605_203515.jpg

but I have a concern... is this a boy part or just a new set of leaves growing in on either side of the top node?

20190605_203603.jpg

Thanks again for all the help, I wouldnt have gotten this far without it.
Have a knife day
StaySharp

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
But are they both girls or is the one a boy?
For some reason, that particular photo didn't show up on my screen... any chance of a re-post and maybe circle the parts in question? I'm sure the plant is fine but a 2nd opinion is always reassuring.

Top Bottom