First grow curled seedling
First grow curled seedling 2
First grow curled seedling 3
First grow curled seedling 4

First grow, day 12.
Seed was Fem. Critical Jack
Medium is a mix of 1/3 peat, perlite and humus
Temps from 70-78 F, Humidity ~55%
She was under 2x 23W 6500k cfl, but switched on day 10 to my Kingbrite 240W LED raised to 28", both on for 24/0.

Germinated for 24 hours using paper towel method, then sprouted after 24 hours in soil.
Watered on day 4, 7, and 11.

She came up with her seed still on, which was removed at the beginning of day 2. However, I left the membrain behind, and didn't catch it and remove it until day 3.
The cotyledon came out curled after that, with the tips that were under the membrain staying pale.

If I look very closely, I think I can see the second set of leaves forming in there.

Although this is my first grow, this just doesn't look quite right. Any ideas what she's doing?

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

get the ppm & ph of soil with tds/ec meter and whatever ph gear u can swing.

looks like hot medium... to me. regardless of light height, the cfls, might do ya better, for now. teepee temp is not leaf surface temp. lots of factors, there... all at once...
wait for smarter peeps than me, for second opinion. more experience, usually comes, but you'd been waitin a while. u won't b ignored...

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

one more thing cause this'll grind on me til we get confirmation- seedlings come with the kit that gives em what they need, til 4-6", even... so nothing more than ph'd r.o., and support structure, is required.
i recently tourched a seedling, with 200ppm oops. i forgot it was fill for the cloner n not just the aforementioned... stalled it out, as an oops, benefit, in my case, but the celotedons were pist! inert "soil" will do... again, ph'd... u would b measuring ur minimal runoff...

BobbHimself

BobbHimself

I'm currently without a tds meter, I'll have to pick one up.
Canopy temp is 72.
Using tap water that contains chlorine, not chloramine, per the annual water report.
After bubbling with an air stone for at least 24 hours, its ph is at 6.8 before going in.
Runoff tests at 5.75.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

means the ph of ur soil is 5.75... nice work on ctemp. can't thing of what else. u would've lowered the ppm, just by doin that. too young to take the stress of "severe flush", I'd imagine.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

found my examples. not the celotedons, but first trues... my bad on the verbiage.

see the similar curl? heat n wind can n so do some nutes n ph caused nute issues. ur gonna ... this gets expensive and education often, costs just as much, whether in time, or kAsh...
I'll grab some other stuffs.
the boyz n ladies tell me it's 800ish for solid mediums... for starters, but NOT at this stage...

u can see that while nitrogen haunts me, regardless of ph... some nutes get unused at certain ranges. y some folks flux a bit...
prepare for needing calmag... eventually, also, at a minimum. using and guard? any of that great white type real weird name to remember- type stuff? zyme something maybe? roots have issues, too... anything to help aerate that medium? perlite? vermic? um... hydroton, even? coco? then, might read up on fungus gnats... and prepare for battle. got ur neam, um... sbicarb? citric? lots of stuffs... ph adjusters n such. what's the strain? u prolly said. people may have tips, such as- DON'T TOUCH EM! or- top em, etc.

YouTube is a great resource to c um... parallels, how tos, etc... even same mediums n strains, often... and premature seeds can make us feel retarded cause they don't always develop, as we'd prefer. nl... looks like bad salad, for instance, early on... from lookin at others '... i never had the pure strain, myself.

Screenshot 20200106 104755 Chrome
Screenshot 20200106 104728 Chrome
Screenshot 20200106 091341 Chrome
Screenshot 20200106 091359 Chrome
Screenshot 20200106 074250 Chrome
BobbHimself

BobbHimself

I've got an organic super soil recipe that's been cooking for a few months, that was to be the medium upon the first transplant.

It's been cooking for about 3 months now, but I was worried about it being too hot still to start in, hence the reason for that particular starting mix.

Link to the mix

Can I start in that mix if its cooked for that long? I've got extra beans, and am wondering if it's better to start over in that mix, rather than trying to fix this one?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Peat is not a hot mix. I would not transplant it into that other mix now. Use a steady pH of 6.2 in your current mix, that may well clear it up?

Edit: maybe a LED grower can answer your question whether the lights are too close, you might want to raise it another foot until you find out for sure?

Last edited:
BobbHimself

BobbHimself

Than it's got to be the compost added to the starting mix. The super soil mix linked above, and I have on standby, is 6.8 in and 6.8 out, while the starting g mix I'm cuttently in is 6.8 in and 5.75 out.

Sounds like I should have used the super soil mix from the start.

Anything I can do for the little mutant, or should I crack another seed?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Than it's got to be the compost added to the starting mix. The super soil mix linked above, and I have on standby, is 6.8 in and 6.8 out, while the starting g mix I'm cuttently in is 6.8 in and 5.75 out.

Sounds like I should have used the super soil mix from the start.

Anything I can do for the little mutant, or should I crack another seed?
You said:

"Medium is a mix of 1/3 peat, perlite and humus"

That equals 3 thirds, so I'm not sure where the compost comes in? However I think the issue is from pH fluctuation, as I mentioned above I recommend you set it to 6.2 for a pay based Medium? also what's the PPM of your tap water?

Also I'd recommend you do a slurry test and see what the actual pH and PPM of your medium is

BobbHimself

BobbHimself

The curling and stretching upward started while still under the cfl's. I had I initially thought it was an upward stretch for more light.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I've got an organic super soil recipe that's been cooking for a few months, that was to be the medium upon the first transplant.

It's been cooking for about 3 months now, but I was worried about it being too hot still to start in, hence the reason for that particular starting mix.

Link to the mix

Can I start in that mix if its cooked for that long? I've got extra beans, and am wondering if it's better to start over in that mix, rather than trying to fix this one?
want to make sure ,use a regular green bean seed if it grow your weed will too

BobbHimself

BobbHimself

It's a bag of organic composted humus from the local sod farm.

Tap is 6.8

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

sounds right, but i haven't done anything but failed soil and whatever version of hydro. so wait. I'll... here... but ya gotta keep on ur research and pay it fwd maybe with a journal to help others who encounter this, after u... as a matter of respect for this hero: @Aquaman
he'll come, pretty sure.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

skol's a hero in his own right. ur in more knowledgeable hands, now.
your doing fine,you did mention ppm both in and out,thats the most important factor from what i see ,you have a baby,the soil by sight looks like its hot,but also he changed lights from a candle to a flame,those are things you mention right,well you called them both,first off without noing what is going in as far as ppm or ec which ever you want,could be feeding it 400 ppm out the tap,hell mine is 315 and that too much for a baby that size,150 is best for ppm,with humus ,peat ,peat is acidic so is it off set with the humus? anyway i would run 6.5 ph because i go for the middle number of uptake of minerals,with humus thats the good stuff,so im going with ph,ppm,lights all you called threw all that ole gabber hahahah,you got it right,quit beating yourself homie

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

the nutso makes me second guess everything so... i try n answer the door, try to keep it short. skol, I'm forgetting 101 everything by the minute so that's y. no confidence. i jacked my ph from 4.ish to 8.ish over common stuffs, just over the wknd so... it's warranted. just don't want good peeps leavin the site just because it happened between 9-5... and I'm around so...

but i appreciate where ur comin from.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

the nutso makes me second guess everything so... i try n answer the door, try to keep it short. skol, I'm forgetting 101 everything by the minute so that's y. no confidence. i jacked my ph from 4.ish to 8.ish over common stuffs, just over the wknd so... it's warranted. just don't want good peeps leavin the site just because it happened between 9-5... and I'm around so...

but i appreciate where ur comin from.
you alright you will figure it out ,i been there and live it,just want recognoize it and thats what keeps it away

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

skol- u mentioned another nute...
is what he's using, first go... an advanced medium, someone might have "sold him on" that may b a great medium, but isn't "miracle grow", simple/(no offense n miracle grow is being used as comedy, not a recommend), novice medium to get a feel for it, first?

appreciative n intuitive fella. hate to see him quit, frustrated, feeling like he's holding a bag of bat, chicken n bovine guano...

Top Bottom