first grow ever..purple diesel in soil indoors 400w and cfl

• Thread starter Marysdaddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

opened a couple vents on the side of my tent and that is helping to keep temps at 72. Getting closer.

Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

Elizabeth is starting to get white tips on a few fingers of a few leaves. I read that is do to over feeding them. Can you guys add to that? Is that a good place to start? I'm with my own mix of soil so I don't think I can flush out the stuff. Should I just sit tight and let it eat? When I moved them into the solo cups I cut the soil with more HP-pro to dilute it down more, like a 60% soil 40% nuted soil so.... =)

Thank you

Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

2 pics of the tips and one pic overall. Imma take the girls outta solo and drop em straight into hp-pro and mix in my seafood soil as needed. see how that tips their leave. ha!

PHOTO 20130802 000715 1985961097
PHOTO 20130802 0007581786227678
PHOTO 20130802 001313 640936950
Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

Alright, dropped em into 1 gallon straight hp-pro and so far the tips are going back to green. I noticed the plants in the front had smaller roots than the ones in the back so I switched places for a while. Gonna start rotating them after a week of switch, should even them out a bit. I moved my fans around and put both exhaust ducts outside the grow area and that helped to drop the temps down to 71. I can deal with that. I am going to go to my local grow shop next week and get a huge 8" fan and see what that does. I'm hoping it gets me into the 60's. I'd like to close the doors on my tent and room and keep the temps below 70. We'll see.

Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

here are some updated pics. the girls seem happy and have grown a bunch. is it time to top em? Lst? I have those 55w cfls that I move around.

PHOTO 20130805 1739201617230789
PHOTO 20130805 173934790037622
Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

Thank you Don. =)

Some of the upper leaves at the edges are curling up. Just the edges though.

I've uploaded some pics. It seems the lowest fan leaves are starting to droop a bit and they look starved. I mean if they were a dog I'd give the damn thing a whole chicken to nub on. They all kinda had a rough start with nutrient burn so I'm sure that doesn't help now. The few droopy leaves are also very green. Dark green. I gave them all a 32 oz drink today because I read mixed view forums on if this issue is over or under watering so I thought to give it a douche. The soil was ready for a watering anyway. I've been doing about 8 oz twice a day but only watering in the middle so with the 32 douche I got all of it so the roots can grow more. I also think I LST'd them. I bent the tops to about a 90 degree angle and am holding it down with a coat hanger. They got bushier so I'm thinking that's a good sign.

Oh yeah, my camera loves to take a picture of the background so try not to strain your eyes too much. The leave in question is to the center of the picture frame and again in the center with the leave growing to the left of the frame. I've also added the updated group shot with the lst in full effect. I'm going to get some ties on Sunday and go nuts. I'm also going to pick up an 8" in-line so I can pump filtered outside air into the room to cool things. It's 55 outside right now and my room is 73. I'd love to keep it at 69, Dudes! I really want to close the doors to my room but it gets up to 84 when I do that so no bueno. Gotta see what else I can do. A/C maybe.

Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

I am getting some holes in the leaves and I haven't been able to find any info on it yet. Looks like bugs to me but I'm not sure. Other than that they seem to be growing well enough.

IMAG0004
IMAG0006
IMAG0005
O

Organicyumyum

I picked up 4 clones from the club on Sunday July 21, 2013 and planted them in my grow room.

400w overhead light with vented hood
4 55w cfl placed so light can get under the plant
4" inline fan currently sucking air into my filter into the room for cooling
20" house fan
huge dehumidifier
soil: hp pro mix with fish and oysters. I have 4 plants, 4 five gallon buckets so I put per bucket a pound of salmon(mixed heads and spine from filets) pound of whole 8" sardines, 4 oysters and 1 10 oz jar of oysters. I blended it all up except for the whole oysters I just buried them in the soil, hoping for a nutrient bomb later during Flowering.

So far I think things are ok. The stems are turning purple and I thought I read that was a nitrate deficiency. I have a 9lb bag of Nitro bat guano that I could use. I'll search around tonight see what I can find. View attachment 329077View attachment 329077View attachment 329077View attachment 329078View attachment 329077View attachment 329078View attachment 329079View attachment 329077View attachment 329078View attachment 329079View attachment 329080

im not quite sure why you are using raw seafood in your soil mix? food scraps or anything like that would have to be put into a compost bin and break down for months prior to use to be effective at all. like the guy on here said, that soil must really stink. most store bought soils have most of what you need already in them, and beyond that you supplement with bottled nutes. either that or make a super soil which is what it seems you were trying to do. Keep it Simple (simplici-tea) makes a great soil mix that only requires plain water.

Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

im not quite sure why you are using raw seafood in your soil mix? food scraps or anything like that would have to be put into a compost bin and break down for months prior to use to be effective at all. like the guy on here said, that soil must really stink. most store bought soils have most of what you need already in them, and beyond that you supplement with bottled nutes. either that or make a super soil which is what it seems you were trying to do. Keep it Simple (simplici-tea) makes a great soil mix that only requires plain water.

It's my first grow and I heard throwing a fish into your soil will help it greatly.

O

Organicyumyum

It's my first grow and I heard throwing a fish into your soil will help it greatly. It's mainly diluted now as you could have read further down, when I put them into the 1 gallons I made it mostly Hp-pro. They seem to be growing well in my mix. I'm gonna have to do some research when I put them into the 5 gallon buckets. Figure out how to dilute my soil more. I'll check out Simplici-tea.

So far I haven't added any nutes to the soil. Just water. Tap water. =)

i read where you said you let it cook, but spending $100 on seafood for soil for 4 plants is very unnecessary and highly expensive. Not to mention you have no exact way of measuring the nutrients you put in the soil. Oyster shell and fish emulsion as well as many other products could replace these ingredients and cost you a lot less. The Simplici-tea nutrient pack will make well over 30 gallons of soil (which is enough soil for a 3-600 watt light setup) and costs just under $100 to make after sourcing the additional ingredients needed (perlite, sphagnum moss, and earthworm castings). it contains plenty of nutrients for a full cycle. just trying to help you save money and have a soil mix that is super easy to work with and really requires nothing but you watering plain water all the way through flower. been doing this for about 14 years now......if you are gonna add in food products into a soil mix you have to compost it first which takes months to break down.

Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

Cool. Thank you for the input. I'll check it out. Seems like the way I want to go. =)

Any reason pops up for the leaves with holes and such?

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

I would recheck for some bugs bro.. And look into some different soils for sure like organic said.. It will make things simpler, and give ya better success.. good luck...Donny P

Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

I'll check again for bugs. Maybe they fly in eat and bail? My local grow shop said he wasn't sure either but said he has some spray. I'll figure it out.

Patanjali

Patanjali

I think the holes in the leaves is due to the soil. Just a guess cause I think I have seen it before. As far as a soil mix, this is an easy one that will not cost much.

50% peat moss or 1/3
25% EWC or Vermicompost or 1/3
25% aeration or 1/3
to 1 cubic foot of mix the following is added:
1/2 cup neem meal
1/2 cup kelp meal
1/2 cup crab shell meal
4 cups mineral mix consisting of glacial rock dust and/or basalt

For aeration, there are a lot of options out there. Perlite is one of my least favorite. Others might include: scoria, lava rock, pumice, vermiculite, bio-char, expanded shale, gypsum, etc, etc. I also like a plain ol omri peat from home depot or lowes. Just remember you'll need to add the aeration. Don't skimp on the EWC/Vermicompost.

Peace,
P-

Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

I think the holes in the leaves is due to the soil. Just a guess cause I think I have seen it before. As far as a soil mix, this is an easy one that will not cost much.

50% peat moss or 1/3
25% EWC or Vermicompost or 1/3
25% aeration or 1/3
to 1 cubic foot of mix the following is added:
1/2 cup neem meal
1/2 cup kelp meal
1/2 cup crab shell meal
4 cups mineral mix consisting of glacial rock dust and/or basalt

For aeration, there are a lot of options out there. Perlite is one of my least favorite. Others might include: scoria, lava rock, pumice, vermiculite, bio-char, expanded shale, gypsum, etc, etc. I also like a plain ol omri peat from home depot or lowes. Just remember you'll need to add the aeration. Don't skimp on the EWC/Vermicompost.

Peace,
P-

Awesome man, thank you very much. I was at the Grow shop today and They have vermicompost. I remember seeing it cause the name was funny to me. I'm going back tomorrow to help the owner retire $100 at a time, so I'll check into the peat moss, aeration and the other things.

The tops and bottoms of the leaves both have a faint white dust. I thought it was trichomes starting but now I'm thinkin not so much.
IMAG0019

Patanjali

Patanjali

Kind of hard to see on the white dust. I will add, that if it was me, I would have the CFL's on top of the plant. The top of the leaf absorbs far more light then the bottoms.

This is just me, but when all possible, I source my ingredients outside of the hydroshops. They are always way over priced, and many times sell an inferior product imho.

Peace,
P

Marysdaddy

Marysdaddy

Here are some updated pics. I've been just LST ing them every night and watering about 39oz each of tap water that has been sitting for 3 or more days. I move the lst ties to where I want them to grow and give them a nice dousing of water. They seem to be doing great aside the bugs. I hope to Jeffrey I make it to the grow shop tomorrow within the 4 hour time frame so I can buy some 45 insect killer spray. I have bugs eating my leaves and the spray should help. It's not neem but I don't have spider mites so..... Time will tell, that ratty bitch.

IMAG0064
IMAG0061
IMAG0060
Top Bottom