First Grow Ever

• Thread starter bmvortex81
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

Hey Friend,
Just started reading today! After all five pages I must say I am impressed with your dedication and growth since post number one. You brought me back to my first grows and I too built many things myself before upgrading to today (10 years later).

You have received some awesome advice so far so I wont chime in too much on the past but for sure will be following along and giving my two cents where I can. I am a soil grower so possibly I can round that side of advice out for you, but also have done about three or four years of hydro growing as well.

For now however I can help you with the main lining theory. It looks like you got the initial topping correct. Should have been done at node three, but after node five or six is developed. But then it looks like you just let the plant grow, this defeats the purpose of the main line. The theory of the main line is to get all your colas to start at the exact same height and to remove most of the rest of the extra shoots on the plant. This way the plant evenly distributes energy to each branch instead of creating separate nutrient lines at separate heights. I included a link below that should help you with this next time. I highly advise to read the entire page as it is a very good tutorial on the process and users have also posted good questions on the bottom portion of the page. I also like that tutorial due to the fact it shows how to do it from clone, something other people will tell you is impossible due to offset growth patterns.

http://www.growweedeasy.com/main-li...rting-from-clone-main-lining-picture-tutorial

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

hey hey thanks for rideing along, my hydro is doing exceptionally better then my first i must say, my only problem is now i got 6 of them growing right next to each other and i still dunno if there male or female and id like to let them grow more in veg but im affraid if i dont switch over to 12/12 lighting and identify my plants i dont think ill have enough room.... if all 6 are female i dunno what to do because is that gonna be enouygh room?.... i guess the way to do it is start with females and only put 1 in each corner so they have enough room, but i didnt wanna use my female seeds for the hydro yet for fear i would kill em because i dont have (i think) enough experiance needed to get a succesful run out of it..... so i used the bag seed untill i get 3 or 4 runs under my belt ya know? i suppose i should switch them over when i switch my flower room over witch im going to do within the next cpl of days, i wanted to wait for my HPS bulb to come in but the MH bulb im running now wont kill em in flower so imma gonna make the flip tommorow or the next day. im fighting with heat right now, so im trying to build a swamp cooler to cool the room, i did make up a concocktion today that includes a fish tank water pump, garden hose and a old heater core i ripped out of a chevy cavalier lol and its circulating the water with no leaks but im using a 5 gal bucket right now for holding water and gallon milk jugs froze but i set it up today and in 7 hrs my gallon jug had thawed on my, so i found a old picnic cooler that i gotta seal drain plug up somehow (cause the damn thing is gone lmao) fooking thing is like 50 years old by the looks rofl but i should b able to put 3 1 gallon milk jugs frozen in it, so we will see how long that hold :D and tbh im having a fuck of a time cloneing i take the cuttings and do everything right and the sumbitches die everytime on me for the life of me i just cant get it, and im geting pissed that i cant i just dont get it i dunno what im doing wrong......

burn4me

burn4me

hey hey thanks for rideing along, my hydro is doing exceptionally better then my first i must say, my only problem is now i got 6 of them growing right next to each other and i still dunno if there male or female and id like to let them grow more in veg but im affraid if i dont switch over to 12/12 lighting and identify my plants i dont think ill have enough room.... if all 6 are female i dunno what to do because is that gonna be enouygh room?.... i guess the way to do it is start with females and only put 1 in each corner so they have enough room, but i didnt wanna use my female seeds for the hydro yet for fear i would kill em because i dont have (i think) enough experiance needed to get a succesful run out of it..... so i used the bag seed untill i get 3 or 4 runs under my belt ya know? i suppose i should switch them over when i switch my flower room over witch im going to do within the next cpl of days, i wanted to wait for my HPS bulb to come in but the MH bulb im running now wont kill em in flower so imma gonna make the flip tommorow or the next day. im fighting with heat right now, so im trying to build a swamp cooler to cool the room, i did make up a concocktion today that includes a fish tank water pump, garden hose and a old heater core i ripped out of a chevy cavalier lol and its circulating the water with no leaks but im using a 5 gal bucket right now for holding water and gallon milk jugs froze but i set it up today and in 7 hrs my gallon jug had thawed on my, so i found a old picnic cooler that i gotta seal drain plug up somehow (cause the damn thing is gone lmao) fooking thing is like 50 years old by the looks rofl but i should b able to put 3 1 gallon milk jugs frozen in it, so we will see how long that hold :D and tbh im having a fuck of a time cloneing i take the cuttings and do everything right and the sumbitches die everytime on me for the life of me i just cant get it, and im geting pissed that i cant i just dont get it i dunno what im doing wrong......
what is your cloning method? have you tried a couple different ways? im playin with heat too. damn mother nature. but swamp cooler is all i can do for now. and hope my ghetto dehuey tricks work at least to keep it in check.

HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

Ah yes heat, cant wait till that sets in. Luckily I am down in the basement so the cement walls insulate me well.

As for cloning here is what I do;

Equipment:
Humidity Dome and Tray (just the tray, not the rapid rooter insert)
Rapid Rooter Plugs
Clonex Rooting Gel
Clonex Rooting Solution
Kabob stick (for poking holes)
Seedling Heat Mat
New Razor Blade
Plant Trimmers or Scissors
Cheap Fluorescent Tube Light
Nutrient Syringe (like an empty shot used by med patients but much larger)
Clean Spray Bottle

Now get everything ready. Someone once told me that cloning is like plant surgery. I was having a lot of trouble at the time so I took the message to heart. Clean everything, never will your plant be more susceptible to picking up a disease than now, time is everything and you have a life in your hands. Get your work station ready, the clone tray set on the heat mat under the light, etc. Ready all of your tools within arms reach. Remember, think surgery. Take the rapid rooters and turn them upside down, now the point is at the top and the fat part on bottom. Poke new holes in the now "top" of the rooters and try not to connect with the original hole but no problem if you do, don't poke all the way through either, you want the base to be solid rooter. Soak them in a weak solution of clonex solution and water until very saturated and place onto the tray to await the clones. I then take a cutting with the trimmers that has at least three nodes on it and still enough room for a stem. Bring it right back to the station and do the following;

trim tips of every leaf except the newest growth, if more than three nodes trim bottom nodes off, determine desired stem length and use razor to cut remainder of stem off at a 45 or larger degree angle, cut a cross about a half inch or less into the bottom of the clone to make a sort of four prong stem immediately dip into clonex gel and then into the rapid rooter, now gently squeeze the excess solution out of the rooter while at the same time closing any gaps around the stem, place into tray, close dome, water everyday and sometimes twice a day with the syringe so that only the cube gets water and not too much excess is sitting in the tray.

This method, knock on wood, has gotten me 100% success since I started it. I never change it, never go out of order, and like I said, I treat it like surgery. Spray the inside of the dome with water if you need extra humidity but never spray the clones themselves. Thats it, ask if you have questions!

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

well the method i tried is taking my cutting and putting it in a red solo cup and putting either a 2 liter pop bottle over it with the bottom cut out or a gallon milk jug cut out the bottom and used that for a dome, then once that was done i sprayed them once a day leaves and all the other thing ive tried is using 20 oz pop bottle with like 2 2and half inch bottom and i made a makeshift dome u can see it in one of my pics
DSCN2380

that thing is my last attempt and did that the same way sprayed them once a day leaves and all. my method for taking the cutting was clean i used a pair of stainless steel scissors dip in alchol for like 30 seconds so they were sanitized once taken i dipped them in a cloneing solution (dip n grow) then stuck them in the dirt... was that my problem tryin to use dirt? i do have some uhmmmm the plugs ya use for hydro ffs i cant think of them AHAAA they r rockwool blocks ffs i felt a bit tarded there LOL but what if i use them and like wojo said soak them in a weak solution of my dipNgrow then try and use them? my thing is does the tray i use for a humidity dome gotta b air tight? cause as u can see the makeshift dome im using certainly is not air tight. im so fed up with it im telling the wife to try it, cause everything i can do she for some stoopid reason can do better... y i have no clue it had baffoled me for 11 years we been together, and i tell you i fooking hate it so damn bad, but i have accepted it and no use it to my atvantage rofl so what yall think? OH and another thing.... it sucks cause i dont have a camera but im thinking bout taking my hydro and throwing her in the flower room (oh i just switched to flower today the girls are tall enough for me so i flipped them i prolly got like 2 2 and half foot plants and there gonna stretch some more from the flip) but anyways the hydro girls are looking at like a foot if not a bit taller the reason im thinking of putting them in the flower room is because i have 6 right next to each other and i still dunno if there ladies or gents what yall think on that? i dont wanna crowd them by letting them keep going in veg and again there gonna stretch when flipped whats yall opinion? i dont have a cam i will try and get one with my cell as yall ponder on this one thanks guys

burn4me

burn4me

well the method i tried is taking my cutting and putting it in a red solo cup and putting either a 2 liter pop bottle over it with the bottom cut out or a gallon milk jug cut out the bottom and used that for a dome, then once that was done i sprayed them once a day leaves and all the other thing ive tried is using 20 oz pop bottle with like 2 2and half inch bottom and i made a makeshift dome u can see it in one of my picsView attachment 408034
that thing is my last attempt and did that the same way sprayed them once a day leaves and all. my method for taking the cutting was clean i used a pair of stainless steel scissors dip in alchol for like 30 seconds so they were sanitized once taken i dipped them in a cloneing solution (dip n grow) then stuck them in the dirt... was that my problem tryin to use dirt? i do have some uhmmmm the plugs ya use for hydro ffs i cant think of them AHAAA they r rockwool blocks ffs i felt a bit tarded there LOL but what if i use them and like wojo said soak them in a weak solution of my dipNgrow then try and use them? my thing is does the tray i use for a humidity dome gotta b air tight? cause as u can see the makeshift dome im using certainly is not air tight. im so fed up with it im telling the wife to try it, cause everything i can do she for some stoopid reason can do better... y i have no clue it had baffoled me for 11 years we been together, and i tell you i fooking hate it so damn bad, but i have accepted it and no use it to my atvantage rofl so what yall think? OH and another thing.... it sucks cause i dont have a camera but im thinking bout taking my hydro and throwing her in the flower room (oh i just switched to flower today the girls are tall enough for me so i flipped them i prolly got like 2 2 and half foot plants and there gonna stretch some more from the flip) but anyways the hydro girls are looking at like a foot if not a bit taller the reason im thinking of putting them in the flower room is because i have 6 right next to each other and i still dunno if there ladies or gents what yall think on that? i dont wanna crowd them by letting them keep going in veg and again there gonna stretch when flipped whats yall opinion? i dont have a cam i will try and get one with my cell as yall ponder on this one thanks guys
my wife has that same power brother. cant do shit but except it lol. as for cloning ive only used my soil mix. had 100% success with it. so idk the reason its not taking. ive heard good things about rockwool but havent had chance to use it yet. will be soon though. gonna try a few mediums. sounds as if maybe the soil used is not airy enough maybe? just a guess does it seem to smother it? your method didnt vary much from what i did. except i did use cloning gel and not solution. maybe try a rooting compound next time. although a lot of people do it with nothing. different strokes type deal. my dome was not air tight either. i actually might of had too much air flow run through it. the flap on top is missing lol. fan blew right across the dome so im sure it entered it. keep us posted and i hope you find a method that works.....or at least your wife can for you. good luck

oh and shit yeah flower when ready if they are mature enough rock em

HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

good luck to the wife! hah, i know how that goes man, when we transplant the pots that she does look ten times happier than mine. oh well.

i don't know about the method, nothing seems terribly out of place or wrong. i would just keep experimenting with different temps, soil/plugs, gel/solution till you find what works for you. until this last method i had a hell of a time, six years plus of growing under my belt but couldn't clone for crap, then for whatever reason this worked for me, luckily i filmed the whole thing, and then just repeat those steps every time i clone

good luck!

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

well the bad news is in and out of the 6 i flipped to 12/12 i got 1 fucking female pissed me right off so i threw in my WW female and the mixed one thats is 3 foot tall already :/

HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

Very true,
I have often wished at the end of harvest I had one or two less plants to that I could have devoted more time overall to the rest. Always disappointing though when you loose 5 outta 6. On the other side, how is the one female? Healthy? Growing quickly?

burn4me

burn4me

i know the feeling. its my 1st grow. went from 7 to 3 then 2 were males....sad day for this noob. but my one plant got the whole 5x5 tent and 1K watts of light too.....good from the bad brother.

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

yeah shes doing good thats bout all i can do burn bro make good outa the bad heh shes budding decent wish it was a bit faster but what ya gonna do cant rush sucsess lol

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

well more news is in, the mixed one that was growing and growing and growing turned freakin male ARE YA KIDDIN ME fuck me lmao so im back down to the 2 females in there, and i also threw in my hydro like i said i was, i beleave 2 out of the 7 so far are male, cant tell yet on the other... now too a problematic solution i seek in my fellow smokers, the setup my flower room with one 10 inch fan inside for circualtion, i have 4 plants around 80 days (and low and behold one of the mixed freebies i got in my white widow pack) and one more female white widow over in the corner about 2 weeks old (just a baby maybe 3 inches tall) and like i said shes over in the corner, now the problem that damn mixed plant was a fucking auto flower and within 2 god damn days he grew nuts and exploded with pollen, now are my other 3 plants screwed? and is my lil 2 week old 3 inch white widow fucked? mind you the fan was blowing damn near directly on that plant.... so i imagine it blew pollen all over the 6.5 ftX3 tent?lemme know bros thanks in advance PEACE

Dunge

Dunge

May be fucked, but unlikely to be fertilized. (If I understand your situation)

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

well thats awsome, the 7 i had in my hydro 3 out of the 7 are female, and growing tall, not much on em yet but tall. thats the update for now, my first one that started budin is doing awsome cant wait for harvest. so basically on the veg room (thats where i meant in the previous post) i have to wait untill the flip?

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

ok heres some pics of the girls so far, the yellow bucket is 5 weeks in flower, the white bucket is 3 weeks in, and the hydro is like a week and it looks a lil rough the hydro does, but im working on it (gettin my ass kicked but its going) question i have is i had to chop 4 plants out of the hydro because of male will the roots keep sucking water or not? if so how do i stop it? or is it pretty much nuttin i can thanks boys!!

DSC01052
DSC01053
DSC01054
DSC01055
DSC01056
DSC01057
DSC01058
DSC01059
DSC01060
DSC01061
stonestacker

stonestacker

I'm just a nob but imho no dead root in my hydro. Root rot.

Top Bottom