First grow, flowering taking forever

• Thread starter Microfarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Microfarmer

Hi, everyone.
I'm new here, and this is my first grow. I have a 100W cob led just for this girl, and she's been in 12/12 since early June. She is in soil, and I started giving her flowering nutes a month ago (learning on the go).
She is full of pistils but I don't see the buds fattening. Is it just my anxiety or am I missing something?

First grow flowering taking forever
First grow flowering taking forever 2
BigCube

BigCube

If that's been flowering since early June, something definitely wrong. Is it a female? Can we get a close up of the pistols?

Also what are its nights like? Does it get pitch black? Or is there light near by?

What medium you using? What kind of feed schedule etc might help to know too.

M

Microfarmer

She is a organic soil, and the nights have no light leakage, as she is in the closet. Not even a stand by light. I feed her every other watering, once a week, about 1ml of each of these in the picture. And here is another Pic of the pistils.

M

Microfarmer

Oh, and when I tried to give her more nutes, she showed signs of over feeding, with a little burning on the point of the leaves.

the rrock

the rrock

I would suggest a little brighter light,not sure what a cob led is,but you will never get good hard buds without at least 400W( I dont know shit about LEDs so I may be wrong.)If thats all you got after 6 weeks of 12/12 youve got a long wait to get something even smokable.You would be better off leaving it outside depending what latitude ur located.

az2000

az2000

What's the name/model of the COB LED? If it's not a good spectrum, that could be the problem. (Sometimes people say "100w" when they mean "equivalent, it actually only draws 18w."). But, I think your plant wouldn't look that good if it were that light starved.

You said the plant lives in a closet. How is it ventilated? Do you have any air circulation in addition to ventilation?

It's possible that not being in a tent (with reflective surfaces) might contribute to the plant not getting enough light. You could add some warm-white LED lightbulbs. If you put them in reflectors (like the clamp-on reflectors sold at Home Depot), they can be effective for growing cannabis. I use them for sidelighting.

BloodShot

BloodShot

Hi, everyone.
I'm new here, and this is my first grow. I have a 100W cob led just for this girl, and she's been in 12/12 since early June. She is in soil, and I started giving her flowering nutes a month ago (learning on the go).
She is full of pistils but I don't see the buds fattening. Is it just my anxiety or am I missing something?
Are you making sure the 12/12 dark period is uninterrupted dark with no light leaks during this time?
https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/why-are-my-leaves-growing-three-fingers-let-me-tell-you-why.72492/

You may want to add more light and search for light leaks.

M

Microfarmer

So, it looks like she is needing more lights. I was planning on starting slow, and not buying a tent for now, but I guess if I want to get something nice from it there is no other way. One thing leads to the next. If I put more lights, I will need a better exhaust system, and won't be able to install it in the closet.

J

James1969

That looks like a sativa, which is going to take longer to flower, but that doesn't account for the lack of flower body. You need much more light.

az2000

az2000

100w is not enough imo goodluck

Without knowing details about that light, 100w (actual) should cover a 20x20" space. That would be 36w/sq ft. The plant looks about the right size for that kind of footprint. Being a single-point COB, the coverage might not be as great as surrounding the plant with more angles of light. But, 36w/sq ft is pretty significant light.

Maybe the OP has the light too high. That can seriously reduce the light reaching the plant. (Not having reflective material can affect how much of the 36w/sq ft reaches the plant too.).

Being in a closet, I bet there's no ventilation and the plant isn't getting Co2. Feed it nutrients and light, but without Co2, it's like it's still not eating. I once read that a grow tent's air should be entirely replaced every 5 minutes (minimum. If lights make it too warm, then replace the air more frequently.). If that plant's sitting in a closet during lights out, 12 hours without the air being replaced.

J

James1969

Looking at it again, the soil looks really wet. To the OP, do you let the soil dry out between watering/feedings??

M

Microfarmer

Without knowing details about that light, 100w (actual) should cover a 20x20" space. That would be 36w/sq ft. The plant looks about the right size for that kind of footprint. Being a single-point COB, the coverage might not be as great as surrounding the plant with more angles of light. But, 36w/sq ft is pretty significant light.

Maybe the OP has the light too high. That can seriously reduce the light reaching the plant. (Not having reflective material can affect how much of the 36w/sq ft reaches the plant too.).

Being in a closet, I bet there's no ventilation and the plant isn't getting Co2. Feed it nutrients and light, but without Co2, it's like it's still not eating. I once read that a grow tent's air should be entirely replaced every 5 minutes (minimum. If lights make it too warm, then replace the air more frequently.). If that plant's sitting in a closet during lights out, 12 hours without the air being replaced.
I think you are right about the height of the lights, yesterday I put some old college books to pretty good use, rising her up a little bit. Lol
But as for the carbonic gas, I use to leave a small opening in the door during her light hours, and there is a small fan in there, but maybe it isn't enough. Sometimes I used a small citronella candle in there to get rid of some flies. Do you think it could be enough to burn some more oxygen and create co2? I though about calculating how much co2 it would create, as I learned somewhere in college, but then I got lazy. And as I don't know how much the plant needs, it wouldn't have taken me anywhere anyway.
As for light leakage during dark hours, I am 100% sure there is none.

J

James1969

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't worry about the co2 levels. If the plant is allowed to dry out and the roots start uptaking nutrients, you should see a difference in the buds' formation. Are there any roots coming out of the bottom of the pot?
Also, I would switch over to a fabric pot right away.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I think I see a few more issues..The soil looks very dense and little or no aeration..Hopefully it is only the pictures, but the 1st shot looks like you have WPM beginning to form. A tent also provides a way to provide a proper environment (I like under 40%RH and temps about 75-80 w/ lights on in flower. ) These numbers change a little according to what strains I am growing.
BTW..I have WPM and once you have it..you have it! It can be controlled, but near impossible to eradicate. Spraying a flowering plant is a no, no, but ingesting mold is way worse. ( I use Plant Therapy currently) That is assuming the plant survives the attack. Again..I hope I am completely wrong and it's either lighting or spots from spraying ?

WPM has two functions in life:
1) Eat the host
2) make more mold spores..Bad stuff.

az2000

az2000

As for light leakage during dark hours, I am 100% sure there is none.

Without an exhaust fan, that's 12 hours of stagnant air. If the air should be entirely replaced every 5 minutes... that's a long time without the air being replaced. For example, I have a 4x4' (7' tall) tent. I calculated (asked Google to convert cu. ft to gallons) how much air it had to move. I thought about using a 35 gallon (large) plastic trash bag (used for bagging lawn clippings, etc.). To replace the air every 5 minutes, the exhaust duct had to inflate that bag in 12 seconds. If you can visualize that, that's a lot of air. (5 bags per minute. 300 bags per hour. 3600 bags during lights out.).

If the closet's large, and only one plant, it probably doesn't need 5-minute total turnover. But, you get the idea. Even if it was hourly turnover... that's a long time without fresh air.

This doesn't help now, but if something precludes you from buying a grow tent, an autoflower would be a better choice. It doesn't need darkness. You could leave the closet door wide open the entire grow.

If you're using the closet for stealth, you can buy or build a stealth grow cabinet. They look like furniture. (I assume stealth isn't an issue because, without a tent -- and exhaust fan drawing air through a carbon filter -- you're making odors.).

J

James1969

I think I see a few more issues..The soil looks very dense and little or no aeration..Hopefully it is only the pictures, but the 1st shot looks like you have WPM beginning to form. A tent also provides a way to provide a proper environment (I like under 40%RH and temps about 75-80 w/ lights on in flower. ) These numbers change a little according to what strains I am growing.
BTW..I have WPM and once you have it..you have it! It can be controlled, but near impossible to eradicate. Spraying a flowering plant is a no, no, but ingesting mold is way worse. ( I use Plant Therapy currently) That is assuming the plant survives the attack. Again..I hope I am completely wrong and it's either lighting or spots from spraying ?

WPM has two functions in life:
1) Eat the host
2) make more mold spores..Bad stuff.

A simple sulfur burn for a few days will completely eradicate PM.

Top Bottom