First grow, Leaves are canoeing up.

• Thread starter Stopher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stopher

Stopher

Hello growers. This is my first ever grow and I am experiencing an issue. I germinated 3 Quadruple Grape auto seeds (bifbeans.com) on a paper towel and planted straight into my final pot (5gal) using FFOF. Yeah I know. I read some posts saying NEVER do this and some saying that’s all they’ve ever done.

My setup is a 2x4x5, AC Infinity t4 exhaust fan, AC Infinity raxial s6 intake fan, 2 Parfactworks ra2000 LED lights.

My seeds broke soil after 3 days (1 didn’t survive). The newer leaves have started canoeing up. Someone on Reddit says it looks like heat stress and suggested I turn one light off until the plants gat about 3 or 4 nodes so I did and only 1 is still on… light is about 38” above the plants. Still canoeing up.

I’m pretty sure I’m not overwatering, but not sure as I’m a noob. At first I was only misting the soil around the stem, but I have recently been watering with about a cup of RO water once a day, is that still to much?

First grow leaves are canoeing up
First grow leaves are canoeing up 2
First grow leaves are canoeing up 3
First grow leaves are canoeing up 4
Stopher

Stopher

Oh yeah, temp is consistently around 78° and humidity around 53% with lights on. 70° and 45% with lights off

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah what media is that? Looks like underwatering and to much light but that could be from the underwatering causing it not to tolerate that much light

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

I also noticed a humidifier in your tent and you said your relative humidity was between 45-53%. These leaves look like they could have been in a lower humidity environment or underwatered, but I would also turn off one of those lights as the young plants don't need the same amount of light getting started.

Stopher

Stopher

I also noticed a humidifier in your tent and you said your relative humidity was between 45-53%. These leaves look like they could have been in a lower humidity environment or underwatered, but I would also turn off one of those lights as the young plants don't need the same amount of light getting started.
I was using the humidifier at first because I read seedlings like high humidity, like 70%. Then I read 40-60 so I turned it off. But the leaves started curling even with the humidifier. As I stated in the post, I’m only running one light.

Stopher

Stopher

Well if your watering once a day you are definitely not giving enough water when watering.

How much each day are you giving them?
I would say about a half cup per plant, maybe a little more. Are these plants still considered seedlings? I’ve been watering them like they’re seedlings still. Watering is the thing I struggle with most because I heard overwatering is the biggest mistake new growers make

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would say about a half cup per plant, maybe a little more. Are these plants still considered seedlings? I’ve been watering them like their seedlings still. Watering is the thing I struggle with most because I heard overwatering is the biggest mistake new growers make
Ok well thats your problem... water the pot to saturate ALL of the media then let it dry out well. Which in your case is likely to be over 5 days.

This drives me nuts and I have no idea where this started or is advised... ROOT DONT GROW IN DRY SOIL... it does not prevent over watering and can't count how many times I see this cause issues.

Not ranting at you OP just needed to get that out.

Have a read here to help you understand watering.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Ok well thats your problem... water the pot to saturate ALL of the media then let it dry out well. Which in your case is likely to be over 5 days.

This drives me nuts and I have no idea where this started or is advised... ROOT DONT GROW IN DRY SOIL... it does not prevent over watering and can't count how many times I see this cause issues.

Not ranting at you OP just needed to get that out.

Have a read here to help you understand watering.

With the powers vested in you as a staff member, could you make that a sticky thread? It seems like a good 5-10% of problems are related to watering mistakes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom