**First Grow** (PUDC, Sour Power) Pt.2- Spider Farmer SE5000 Journal

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Krispy420

Krispy420

then one of the HSC folks gave me a call and explained a couple things...like with certain strains if you don’t change from 18/6 to 12/12 gradually it can stress the plant to herm. But she also explained that I was not the first person to mention difficulties growing PUDC so they will most likely discontinue it for that reason. So I guess it’s an awesome smoke but has a tendancy to herm. Go grab them now if you’ve been on the fence and can manage herm possibilities. My brother smoked some in Florida and said it was one of the best strains he’s ever smoked. Anyway, amazing customer service from Humboldt Seed Company and they are sending me a few different strain seeds, a t-shirt and who knows what else.
that's really interesting about the gradual switch to 12/12...I've never heard of anyone doing a gradual switch indoors but I'm sure some people do and it kinda goes back to what I was saying about mimicking nature(without the bad). I'm glad you hit them up and that they were graceful about it and gave you some free stuff 👍. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and smooth seas don't make good sailors.

Observationist

Observationist

Nice! If you go with HSC let me know. I asked for Magic Melon, Hella Jelly (formerly Jolly Rancher) and Strawberry Cheesecake. Ive heard good things about Hella Jelly and also Magic Melon. Raspberry Parfait is supposed to be awesome too. They have some diesel strains but probably more fruity than gassy, I want that straight gas.
I will definitely.

those strains are new to me, sound good.

hope you get those soon and are all females.

Observationist

Observationist

that's really interesting about the gradual switch to 12/12...I've never heard of anyone doing a gradual switch indoors but I'm sure some people do and it kinda goes back to what I was saying about mimicking nature(without the bad). I'm glad you hit them up and that they were graceful about it and gave you some free stuff 👍. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and smooth seas don't make good sailors.

maybe for flower, but veg it does not matter according to dr. bruce bigbee

growsince79

growsince79

UPDATE:

After losing Sour power due to most likely being male, and finding that all 3 PUDC turned Hermie 2 weeks into flower...I am down to 2 plants. I decided to pluck all ball sacs off and closely monitor. If they reappear, I will toss it. If not, I should have some killer buds if I don’t screw it up.

I see 2 outcomes if all goes well.

Best case: The PUDC doesn’t keep herming and I flower 2 awesome new strains. 1 Lemongrass and 1 Pineapple Upside Down Cake, in a tent that has much more space now.

Worst Case: I end up with 2 plants full of seeded bud, which I will use to make bubble hash and maybe some edibles.

I’m a flower guy so hopefully best case outcome.

SEED UPDATE!
I got a quick response from the mom & pop vendor I purchased the seeds from...they reached out to the breeder (Humboldt Seed Company) and explained the issue. I had also emailed HSC (which responded like 2 hours later)....then one of the HSC folks gave me a call and explained a couple things...like with certain strains if you don’t change from 18/6 to 12/12 gradually it can stress the plant to herm. But she also explained that I was not the first person to mention difficulties growing PUDC so they will most likely discontinue it for that reason. So I guess it’s an awesome smoke but has a tendancy to herm. Go grab them now if you’ve been on the fence and can manage herm possibilities. My brother smoked some in Florida and said it was one of the best strains he’s ever smoked. Anyway, amazing customer service from Humboldt Seed Company and they are sending me a few different strain seeds, a t-shirt and who knows what else. They really seemed genuine about being sorry that I had issues with their seeds and wanted to compensate me for the troubles. Based on that alone, I’ll buy from them again. Plus I hear good stuff about their strains.

So 3 down, 2 left, one that might have to leave the tent. Crossing my fingers...but now, with what HSC is sending me....OMFG I can’t wait for GROW #2!
At least they were cool about it. I read stories of breeders that don't treat customers well. I've been thinking about trying hsc, but $100 a pack here. I wonder if they tell you in advance what strains are herms? I kinda doubt it.
Maybe they will send you some that don't herm this time. I can't wait to see what they send you and how they turn out.

Dothraki

Dothraki

maybe for flower, but veg it does not matter according to dr. bruce bigbee
He’s talking about slowly turning the light on though, it might be different when talking about giving the plants 18-24 hours of light then immediately cutting down to 12. Maybe there’s a response in strains that aren’t good with that type of stress. Def would like to know more about it though.
We are talking about flowering though, not veg. That's a long watch but i'll get to it eventually 👍 thanks for the link
I watched it a while ago...best explanations to great questions I’ve seen on YouTube.

Dothraki

Dothraki

It’s nice to see some buds starting to form... I hope it doesn’t herm again lol.
6A5A5896 2BF0 40F5 993D C4DF87338717

Jakecan

Jakecan

Humboldt Seed Company seems sloppy to me. I've heard far too many people grow their genetics to get herms. Gradual light change to not induce herm to me means crap genetics. If thats what it takes to herm a plant you more than likely are going to find that most growers are going to stress those plants and herm them as well. I know some people love HSC but here in Canada they've been pulled off Ontario, Alberta and BC legal cannabis retailer websites due to poor genetics and herms.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Humboldt Seed Company seems sloppy to me. I've heard far too many people grow their genetics to get herms. Gradual light change to not induce herm to me means crap genetics. If thats what it takes to herm a plant you more than likely are going to find that most growers are going to stress those plants and herm them as well. I know some people love HSC but here in Canada they've been pulled off Ontario, Alberta and BC legal cannabis retailer websites due to poor genetics and herms.
Wow I didn’t know that. Out of the 2, only the PUDC hermed...I’ll run a few more of their strains next run to see how it goes. I’m all about genetics that don’t herm...but for me the strain has to be something special and make me feel a certain way. I’d rather grow something special that has a tendency to herm than something that’s “good” but more stable. I know you can have both, I just don’t know where to get them. I’m extremely picky about strains. Usually looking for something that works well for writing music. But I never know until I smoke it. If HSC delivers with this next grow, that’s good enough for me. But we‘ll see what happens.

Moeboi

Moeboi

And then there were 2.

I found 2 more male sacs today, plucked them off. If it happens again I will most likely toss it and give the tent to Lemongrass.
View attachment 1203117
View attachment 1203118
I've heard male plants are good too to keep around not around female plants but I did a little research only thing really is seeds and it still will be potent depends on strain ..I had one on last grow ..I chopped it fast though tried to make my own strain 🤣🤣 big fail for my first grow lol but in the end after I got seeds out smoked dam near better than the females I had..ijs worth trying you spent that long growing them to just toss them out ..grow it outside away from other plants if u can..u won't be disappointed u owe it to yourself to try n see if u like u been taking care of them this long..just my opinion

Dothraki

Dothraki

Looks like the lemon grass has a lot of stretch left.
OMG that thing is lanky hahaha. It’s like those vines that grow up fences and the side of the house. I hope it doesn’t stretch too much more or I’ll have to manhandle those stalks which could be rough.

I've heard male plants are good too to keep around not around female plants but I did a little research only thing really is seeds and it still will be potent depends on strain ..I had one on last grow ..I chopped it fast though tried to make my own strain 🤣🤣 big fail for my first grow lol but in the end after I got seeds out smoked dam near better than the females I had..ijs worth trying you spent that long growing them to just toss them out ..grow it outside away from other plants if u can..u won't be disappointed u owe it to yourself to try n see if u like u been taking care of them this long..just my opinion
I thought when they get pollinated they are less potent? I can’t throw it outside it’s below freezing at night. So the only option is, have 2 plants full of seeds, or 1 plant with no seeds. If the bud is just as potent and smelly with seeds I wouldn’t mind as much since it’s for personal use...although that would kinda suck to have all those seeds. I’m on the fence about the risk. I really want to try the strain, but I also don’t want my other plant to get pregnant lol. It’s looking grim though since it grew 2 more sacs today.

Jakecan

Jakecan

I thought when they get pollinated they are less potent? I can’t throw it outside it’s below freezing at night. So the only option is, have 2 plants full of seeds, or 1 plant with no seeds. If the bud is just as potent and smelly with seeds I wouldn’t mind as much since it’s for personal use...although that would kinda suck to have all those seeds. I’m on the fence about the risk. I really want to try the strain, but I also don’t want my other plant to get pregnant lol. It’s looking grim though since it grew 2 more sacs today.
Your plant will be using more energy producing seeds than it will trichomes and new growth. I personally don't think it's worth it especially if you have one normal. The seeds will be pretty much worthless as well because if they come from a hermie they will most likely be hermie themselves.

growsince79

growsince79

OMG that thing is lanky hahaha. It’s like those vines that grow up fences and the side of the house. I hope it doesn’t stretch too much more or I’ll have to manhandle those stalks which could be rough.

Depends on how many seeds you make. If the whole plant is pollinated it will put all effort into seeds and not resin. If its just a few seeds, potency will be same but the seeded buds taste like shit even after removal.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Your plant will be using more energy producing seeds than it will trichomes and new growth. I personally don't think it's worth it especially if you have one normal. The seeds will be pretty much worthless as well because if they come from a hermie they will most likely be hermie themselves.
That’s what I figured too. Dang. Well...at least I got more experience identifying herms and seeing how quickly male balls can grow. I think I’ll keep it for now. If more than 2 more balls grow at once, I’m tossing it. But if they seem to not be coming back and no signs of them for a while, I’ll risk it.

Depends on how many seeds you make. If the whole plant is pollinated it will put all effort into seeds and not resin. If its just a few seeds, potency will be same but the seeded buds taste like shit even after removal.
I always though one pollen sack would pollinate the whole tent. Is it possible to have them only pollinate a few buds or possible they don’t produce a lot of seeds? I’m not certain how it works.

growsince79

growsince79

That’s what I figured too. Dang. Well...at least I got more experience identifying herms and seeing how quickly male balls can grow. I think I’ll keep it for now. If more than 2 more balls grow at once, I’m tossing it. But if they seem to not be coming back and no signs of them for a while, I’ll risk it.

I always though one pollen sack would pollinate the whole tent. Is it possible to have them only pollinate a few buds or possible they don’t produce a lot of seeds? I’m not certain how it works.
One ball can make lots of seeds, but not the whole tent.

Dothraki

Dothraki

One ball can make lots of seeds, but not the whole tent.
Ok cool. So my thought process is this...if I get what appears to be all of the balls off, but one or 2 end up slipping by, I would be ok if some seeds here and there...just as long as all buds aren’t completely full of seeds.

CactusJack1

CactusJack1

Supporter
Back in my days in the early seventies pretty well all weed had seeds thats all there was we picked out the seeds and smoked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom