First grow, self build grow closet with cfl lighting

• Thread starter blues frog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blues frog

Little update

:harvest:

I have harvested the smaller branches of my bagseed today, but left the largest branch and the main stem to go for a bit longer, but will be cutting that soon as well.
Partly cos I want something to smoke, and I'm broke (how poetic, or is it pathetic), and partly cos I need the space, as I haven't got my timing right with bringing the clones on and I have 3 more plants ready to go in to flowering.

Took a small branch a couple of days ago, and dried it out, smoked it today, no cure and it was lovely. Tasted clean and lemony and it wasn't sprayed (thank gaia), and one spliff got three of us well and truly stoned.

:joint:

I think its safe to say I absolutely fucking LOVE growing my own.

:damnhippie:

B

blues frog

Shame about the quantity, but it is my first, and I am taking it early. I've learnt a hell of a lot in a very short time, and things will only get better from here on in.

S

shdowlkr

Shame about the quantity, but it is my first, and I am taking it early. I've learnt a hell of a lot in a very short time, and things will only get better from here on in.

yea, it will that! Now that ya got the growing part sorted, its time to get your cycles sorted. I have the worst time with that part. When the cycles are right, something goes wrong, every time.... the last was no rooted cuttings for more then a month. true killer to a perpetual cycle..

B

blues frog

I am already out of sync with that. I am going to have to do it in stages, just took Eight cuts today, and finished chopping the bag seed, cause I had two more ready to go in. The four I've put in over the last couple of days are in 6 and 8 inch pots, instead of 10 inch, to make more room, so when my next set of cuts get strong roots I'll veg them for two weeks, then into the flower room in 25 fl. oz bottles. I've put another 2 fem seeds in today, white widow and alaskan ice, so I will hopefully have Early misty, Lavender, Blue Cheese, Magic Bud (mutant), White Widow, Alaskan Ice, and of course the sativa bag seed all producing cuts. I need 6 or 7 viable clones per week I think to get this right, but it might take me a while to sort it out.

Now I have cut the bag seed, and it is drying, the smell is really coming through, and it's like lemon cheesecake thats been made with cannabutter, gently skunky and really sweet. Not overly frosty but promises to be really nice.

B

blues frog

New pics

Here we go. Week 9 since they went 12/12. One of them has less quantity of bud, but much more trichome production, the other has much more bud, which is well covered in trichs, but much less on the fan leaves. I've been trying to decide which one is a keeper. Obviously I should wait till I smoke to make a choice, but I am greedy so I'll keep them both. They are bound to smoke different, and variety is the spice of life.

Photo 0001
Photo 0002
Photo 0003
Photo 0004
Photo 0005
Photo 0006
Photo 0007
Photo 0008
Photo 0009
B

blues frog

Little update

My Alaskan Ice from Greenhouse seeds has germinated. Germinated upside down, and had to be flipped up the right way round. Can't wait for this one.

Took another four cuttings from an early misty yesterday, so I now have twelve of them rooting (I hope). Also the Blue Cheese, Lavender, and Magic Bud are all nearly ready to have cuts taken from them.

All of this is going really well at the moment. Still got thrips, the neem oil hasn't got rid of them, but they seem to do far less damage once the plants have been sprayed and watered with it.

D

dogofan

hey blues frog great job man.and i'm at the 3rd grow, so i nedd information too, plese tell me: you use only cfl (iwant to do it)? how much watts?how much weeks in veg?and totally)i've wandering if put 4 small cfls vertically at the corner of the growing space will help my plants to get some more light on the ground, where the upper light do not arrive...wat do u think about it?thankyou and a tips: pay attention to umidity when you cut your plants and put them upside down...it's a critical step and you can ruin all of your work..

D

dogofan

and pleas let me know how much grams your plants produce...how much centimeters it is? thankyou again

B

blues frog

hey blues frog great job man.and i'm at the 3rd grow, so i nedd information too, plese tell me: you use only cfl (iwant to do it)? how much watts?how much weeks in veg?and totally)i've wandering if put 4 small cfls vertically at the corner of the growing space will help my plants to get some more light on the ground, where the upper light do not arrive...wat do u think about it?thankyou and a tips: pay attention to umidity when you cut your plants and put them upside down...it's a critical step and you can ruin all of your work..

Thank you. At the moment I have a 300watt red spectrum bulb in the flower room, and a 300 watt blue in the veg room. I am about to get some ordinary light fittings and fix up 4 or 5 small CFL bulbs in the veg room, and I will move the big 300 watt blue into the veg room as well.

I read loads that CFL light doesn't penetrate well, and i've discovered how true that is, so my advice would be to grow lots of small plants, flowering the main colas only, so you don't need worry about light penetration.
More light will only help, but only up to a point, and then of course you have to worry about the heat if you add more bulbs.

Vegging time on the ones that are just finishing was, well , forever it seemed like, and they grew slowly because I did stuff wrong, overwatered and overfed. I know a bit better now, and I am going to try vegging my clones for 3 weeks, then flower.

I don't have any fine enough scales to weigh it properly, but I just got about an eigth off the top bud on one branch.

What do you mean about the humidity when I cut them. How can that ruin everything?

D

dogofan

i mean when you dry it pay a LOT of attention because is on this step tath you decide a 40% of the quality of the erb , and if the umidity is hig or not controlled the mould quicly attack the plants and completly ruin them (get information on mj mould and if you recognize it on plants trow it away: it's very dangerous and do not die even with combustion...)thankyou man, remember: attention on dying

W

woodronomus

You are lookin' good bro! keep in mind, the density that you ( and the rest of us ) are looking for comes from lumens (light density) and a nice full spectrum of colors in the light. HPS is required for max yeild. With that amount of ladies u need a 400wHPS in addition to your CFls. Also with the sativa dominant strains, u should watch the height. Internode distance is greater and they tend to flower much later (11-14wks!) If this becomes a problem, look into "Topping" during veg, and "Super-Cropping"

P

Potato

I have enjoy reading your posts! I to am a new grower! I am day 21 in my grow of 6- 3 G13 and 3 Medicine Man . Started from clones. All 6 are doing well. Vegged under 4 tube fixture 2 grow bulbs purple color and 2 white grow bubs from Wally world . 24/7.5week veg want to just go 4 but had to wait a week for the CPF to show up . To flower room 10x10x10. 400hps and 3 bulb full stect. CPF flowering 315watt. First 3 days 14/10 light Next 3 days 13/11. Then 12/12 .I started the flower time at the switch to 12/12. At 2 weeks I cut all the large sugar or shade leaves off and used string to open up the center of the plants plus equal out the hign of the plants so light intense is more equal . I put the lights at 12" from tops and move light when they are 6 'close again to 12".I have them on a table with wheels so once a day I rotate 180 . At day 16 I gave them a few days to recover from Hair cut and I broke the necks on the G13 plants 2 plants got 1 broke and the other needed 2 necks broke and tied to the bucket. I did this to help equal out the canopy .I put the light to 13/11 . I have read this will make the flower time and yield around 10% longer and better yield but leafer buds.day 22 today buds ever where on both . Tops are 1 plus cola starts lower buds are 1/2 to 3/4 " . I hope I am not boring any one but this is my first grow in along time . Farmed most my life . Fert. and nut. as organic as I can . For bug control I do not spray on the plant except soap and h2o2when they were in veg only. Now that there are in the flower room. I just spray the dirtafter I have let the pots dirt out a good 1" down then I wait another day the water til it flows thru and drain I drilled lots of holes in the pots for air . At this time and only at this time I do or change 2 thigs in a day . I have found I do 1 thing different to plants a day only. But once a week when I water I spray the DIRT (good cover don't water with it) after water has drained with 1teaspoon Malathion 50% little dish soap and 1oz. 3% H2O2 to QT. Mix just enough mix for the job.it is not a good idea to store mixed Fert or sprays!. Knock on wood no bugs. It is safe at this rate of posted on the bottle to spray tomatoes 1 day before harvest on the foilage . Not for me just dirt work good for me . I stop spray at the 4 to 5 week time. I will stop the fert 1 week before harvest if not sooner. I mix my own fert. I am to cheap to pay for the good stuff. The Malathion might be hard to find I have in my chem and paint room got it years ago for use around the house and farm. Hav you ever heard the story about a watched pot of waer won't boil well if you watch pot to much it don't grow as well. HaHa plus you are bringing in thingsto your controled room . I should talk I am in our room daily and I don,t use a timer I do it manual.. Grow strong, grow tall ,and grow for free! Potato

B

blues frog

Where do you find 300w cfl?

wher yuo find the 300w cfl?

Got them online from a company in the UK called basement lighting, and they come in 2700k or 6400k or a mixed bulb with elements of both. Here is the link.

B

blues frog

You are lookin' good bro! keep in mind, the density that you ( and the rest of us ) are looking for comes from lumens (light density) and a nice full spectrum of colors in the light. HPS is required for max yeild. With that amount of ladies u need a 400wHPS in addition to your CFls. Also with the sativa dominant strains, u should watch the height. Internode distance is greater and they tend to flower much later (11-14wks!) If this becomes a problem, look into "Topping" during veg, and "Super-Cropping"

Thanks man. I am realising about the light penetration, and am going to try and circumvent this somewhat by growing small plants for their tops only, so no need for penetration below the canopy. I don't know if there is a top limit on lumens that a plant can actually use, but I intend to increase mine as soon as I can, but I can already see plants with a looser structure fill out better under cfl. HPS is not an option for me at the moment, parly heat and partly costs.

Already had to supercrop the sativa, which in itself made the buds on the main stem fill out better because they were all getting more light.

B

blues frog

Cheers Potato. Hope it all goes well for you.

But once a week when I water I spray the DIRT (good cover don't water with it) after water has drained with 1teaspoon Malathion 50% little dish soap and 1oz. 3% H2O2 to QT.

Malathion has been banned for a long time. Dangerous shit.

If malathion is used in an indoor, or other poorly ventilated environment, it can seriously poison the occupants living or working in this environment.

LD50/LC50: Malathion is slightly toxic via the oral route, with reported oral LD50 values of 1000 mg/kg to greater than 10,000 mg/kg in the rat, and 400 mg/kg to greater than 4000 mg/kg in the mouse. It is also slightly toxic via the dermal route, with reported dermal LD50 values of greater than 4000 mg/kg in rats.

It has been reported that single doses of malathion may affect immune system response. Symptoms of acute exposure to organophosphate or cholinesterase-inhibiting compounds may include the following: numbness, tingling sensations, incoordination, headache, dizziness, tremor, nausea, abdominal cramps, sweating, blurred vision, difficulty breathing or respiratory depression, and slow heartbeat. Very high doses may result in unconsciousness, incontinence, and convulsions or fatality. The acute effects of malathion depend on product purity and the route of exposure.

Other factors which may influence the observed toxicity of malathion include the amount of protein in the diet and gender. As protein intake decreased, malathion was increasingly toxic to the rats. Malathion has been shown to have different toxicities in male and female rats and humans due to metabolism, storage, and excretion differences between the sexes, with females being much more susceptible than males. Numerous malathion poisoning incidents have occurred among pesticide workers and small children through accidental exposure. In one reported case of malathion poisoning, an infant exhibited severe signs of cholinesterase inhibition after exposure to an aerosol bomb containing 0.5% malathion.

Effects on birds: Malathion is moderately toxic to birds. The reported acute oral LD50 values are: in mallards, 1485 mg/kg; in pheasants, 167 mg/kg; in blackbirds and starlings, over 100 mg/kg; and in chickens, 525 mg/kg.

Effects on aquatic organisms: Malathion has a wide range of toxicities in fish, extending from very highly toxic in the walleye (96-hour LC50 of 0.06 mg/L) to highly toxic in brown trout (0.1 mg/L) and slightly toxic in goldfish (10.7 mg/L). Malathion is highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates and to the aquatic stages of amphibians. Because of its very short half-life, malathion is not expected to bioconcentrate in aquatic organisms. However, brown shrimp showed an average concentration of 869 and 959 times the ambient water concentration in two separate samples.

Effects on other organisms: The compound is highly toxic to honeybees.

Basically Malathion is a vile and poisonous substance that is harmful to just about everything, including you. I know it is heavily used in US agriculture, but this shit is very dangerous, especially in an enclosed space.

W

woodronomus

i would never pull off or cut leaves that arent dead or dying cuz they feed your lady.
neem oil beats dish soap

P

Potato

Here are some of ours pictures at 22 days of flower . Sorry about the Malathion .I know it was banned use very little and apply only to the soil .It is not like you said not for inside the house use.. I am new at adding pictures bear with me .
22day 001
Medicine Man

22day 002
G13

22day 003
G13

22day 004
group picture growing back from hair cuts. I though hard on the hair cut and training but I am happy on it is turning out so far. They are growing between 1/4 to 1/2 a day . Frosting up nice .Last picture just the CPF lights are on .Got from shealth company 3 105wattbulbs multi spectum 400HPS turned off :banana: Potato

P

Potato

The CPF I ordered was set up for flowering They offer the light Veg , Multi use, and flowering. Worth a look into it comes with reflector and the 3 bulbs and cord $200 plus shipping .There sales pitch is each bulb is the same as 400watts of incad. light and over 16000Lumen .later Potato

Latest posts

Top Bottom