First Grow Set Up Magnum+ LED

• Thread starter ninjahippy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

ninjahippy

Hey guys its ninjahippy, I am a new member and this is my first grow. I am a very health conscious kinda guy, my diet is organic and I would like my plants to be grown organically as well. I have already purchased some of my supplies but I am waiting to buy the rest when the time is right. That put aside, if you guys think theres something that should be changed(add/remove) I am open to suggestions. Like I said, this is my first grow so I would appreciate any help I can get. Oh yea and im using seedlings, no cuttings around these parts :( Shipped in from the Netherlands: blueberry, cheezeberry haze and some lowryder autoflowers I got free. I'm still debating on weather or not to grow the autoflowers first, the seeds aren't feminized so I guess I am going to have to suck it up and pull the males out. I am trying to do 100% organic, but I am willing to change some things if the price is right

I tried my best to put everything in an order of how you would initially set up, so heres what were workin with:

-357 Magnum+ LED light (357 actual watts)
@357magled.com its on sale for: $999
-I may add the Kessil H350 Magenta later which runs for around $350

-120V 15 Amp On.Off 7 Day Dual Digital Timer
@plantlightinghydroponics $12.90

-Secret Jardin Dark Room Pro DR120 II Grow Tent (approx. 4'x 4'x 6.5')
@aghydroponics $223 shipped

-EcoPlus Large Display Temp/Humidity
@bghydro $19.09

-6" Air King Circulating Clip Fan(2)
@bghydro $17.09

-Vortex 4 inch 172 CFM High Power Inline Fan
@plantlightinghydroponics $114.90

-Active Air 4" x 25FT Perma Duct Premium Air Ducting
@plantlightinghydroponics $16.90

-Quiet Clamps - 4" Pair
@bghydro $6.09

-20 lb CO2 tank
@ebay $124.95 shipped

-CAP REG-1 CO2 Regulator and Valve
@plantlightinghydroponics $89.90

-CAP CO2-2e Temperature, Humidity & CO2 Control with 2-timers
@plantlightinghydroponics $194.90

-Germination Station
@bghydro $24.95

-General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Organic Plugs Bag(50)
@plantlightinghydroponics $10.90

-Smart Pot 3-Gal Soft Growing Containers(10)
@plantlightinghydroponics $3.90 each

-12" Clear Plant Saucers(10)
@bghydro $1.15 each

SOIL/NUTRIENTS:

Home & Garden/Iguana Juice?

-BioCanna Bio Terra Plus Soil/Canna Coco/Roots Organics/Fox Farms? (150 L)
@local store

-DISTILLED WATER
@local grocery store $.89 - GAL

-Bio Vega by BioCANNA - 1L (FLOWER)
@bghydro $26.95

-Bio Flores by BioCANNA - 1L (BLOOM)
@bghydro $26.95

-Bio Boost by BioCanna - 250 mL
@bghydro $25.95

-Canna Rhizotonic - 250ml (root stimulant)?
@bghydro 17.95

-Earth Juice Natural pH Up 2 lb
@plantlightinghydroponics $13.90

-Earth Juice Natural pH Down 2 lb
@bghydro $12.99

-Botanicare Cal Mag Plus - quart or Earth Juice?
@bghydro $11.29

-Fox Farm Super Coarse Perlite, 100L, 1.7 Cubic Feet
@plantlightinghydroponics $15.90

Worm Castings?

ACESSORIES:

-Hanna HI 98129 Combo pH/EC/TDS/Temp Tester (Low Conductivity)
@mitchellinstrument $119 shipped

-CAP 5 Gallon Black Plastic Bucket
@plantlightinghydroponics $4.90

-EcoPlus Air 2 6W 2-Outlet Variable Control Air Pump
@plantinglighthydroponics $8.90

-Eco Plus Large Round Air Stone(2)
@plantlightinghydroponics $3.90 each

-1/4" Tubing for Stealth/Small Boy (blk)
@plantinglighthydroponics $.21 per foot

-Precipitator 360 Spray Bottle - 16oz
@bghydro $2.99

-Whynter Eco Pure Room Air Purifier, Black (AFR-300-BL) (covers 600 sq. ft./adjustable fan speeds)
@amz $289.99

LIGHTING SCHEDULE/REGULATIONS:

-3-8 days for germination of seeds, seedling phase lasts about 1 month 16-18 hrs of light a day(2-3 weeks after germination)
vegatative: 24 hrs
flowering: 12 hrs light/12 hrs dark
-keep ph level @ 5.8
-water should be @ room temp.
-keep circulation fans/inline fan/water pump/air purifier on for 24 hrs

If theres anything I'm missing here please let me know.

Here are my initial questions:

-As far as supplies go, is there anything that is unnecessary here?, I'm trying to cut costs if possible.

-Which type of soil should I use and should I go with coco coir or regular soil?
I am debating between BioCanna, Canna Coco, Roots Organics and Fox Farms

-Do I need nutrients such as: worm castings, root stimulator, tea compost, cal mag, perlite?
Anyone have a comparison between BioCanna, Canna Coco, Home & Garden, Botanicare or Iguana Juice?

-What should I keep TDS (PPM) levels at?

-What time, what amount and how many times a day should I water my plants?

-Since the leds dont produce much heat, could i reuse the air in the room rather than diverting it out a window or the laundry exaust and buying a carbon filter
note if no carbon filter I will be using an air purifier in the room

-Do I even need to monitor the temperature since I'm using LEDs?
If I do, what temperature should it be?

-How much CO2 should I be using and how should I set up the timer?

-Should I grow my autoflowers first since its my first grow?

I would like some advice from experienced LED/organic growers if possible. Again, this is my first grow and I would appreciate any help I can get. Hopefully I don't mess anything up and I get it right the first time. I will keep you all updated on how everything goes. Thanks!

-ninjahippy

H

Hairydodger

I'm at the end of my first grow. 5 Stealth Grow 602 LED lights Fox Farms Ocean Forrest, CO2 generator, 4 fans, air conditioner. No one told me about insecticides. I almost had three disasters. I'm not pitching Zero Tolerance except that you mentioned organics. Read the directions and follow the directions. Buy it and Neem Oil on your first shopping trip. You'll need it.

N

ninjahippy

Thanks the suggestion brotha. I will have to stock up on that

T

testez

I'm concerned with the fact that you might be moving to much air with your co2. IMO if your going to use co2, you should have a sealed room. If your bringing in air and moving it out then i would not recommend using c02, especially in the beginning. If you do though your ppm should be around 1200 to 1500 (leaning more towards the later).

In regards to watering ... your plants tell you. Head to this and you'll be successfull. Most people water every 1-2-3 days. A good way for the plant to tell you if it's needing water is the bucket will be lite. Weight it when dry and weigh it when wet. You'll get a feel for it over time. If your more the scientific type then a good hygrometer is a good way to measure the humidity in your grow medium. Allot of people don;t use them though because over time it destroys the rhizosphere (the roots).

Since growing indoor's, especially under this type of intense spectrum(s) you might need calcium/magnesium supplements. I would highly recommend looking into earth tea's to top up the nutrient values your medium.

Water pump should NOT run 24hrs ... you'll burn it within the first 24hrs. Your pump only works when your pumping nutrients and/or water into the medium.

DO NOT seed/veg with a 357 magnum. It's asking for certain death. The spectrum's and amount of light is far to harsh for those lol guy;s. I recommend sml cfl's on a shelf.

Also Keep a mother and take clones from it. DO NOT use seeds to grow with straight from start. Again, spectrum is far to harsh for seedlings. Take cuts off a mother or take cuts from your last run. Seeds sprout in their own time. Your time frame is a bit short. I would allow 14 to 21 days for the seedling stage. Then 2-3 weeks veg, then flowering period.

Should you use c02 ... IMO No, not because it can't be used but because this is a science in itself, especially with the spectrums your using. If I were you, don't do it just yet. Get to know your strain, and how to grow it to it's maximum potential. Once you've plateaued, then it's time to try to push it harder with other more advanced technic's.

Temp and RH (relative humidity) must be observed nightly and daily. Since this is a new environment then you should definitely keep this in check. Your trying to keep the heat down bellow 80 degrees F. Your humidity should definitely range between 40 to 50% RH to prevent mildew.

Carbon filter in a sealed room or not is a good idea. Your growing MJ Bro, first rule while growing is to keep it as low key as possible!

IMO Autoflowering is SHIT ... Polutes the pure gene pool in the MJ World. Grow them out and your on your own cause I hate them and have very little xp with em. They're hard to manipulate and are prone to hermie. Especially for a beginner grower that's a variable that I wouldn't want to deal with.

Total dissolved solids (TDS) and Parts Per Millions (PPM) are not used in the organics world. That's a soiless and/or hydro reference which you don't have to deal with. Even PH (potential hydrogen) should not be an issue if you have a good, robust, fertile, stable growing medium.

Sorry if I'm all over the place with my answers, got mixed up in the order they were asked. Hope this helps and keep asking questions! That's the most important thing to do when your trying to master anything ... question, question, and .... wait for it.... you got it! ... Question. lol

Seems like you have a really good general idea of what you plan on doing which is awesome. When I started i didn't know how to grow anything, matter of fact i was mis informed, thus at a deficit. none the less MJ lol. So your far more ahead then I was. Also, when using an LED, That's a science in itself and the grow has it's own specific needs. Be patient, and learn/absorb as much as you can. Because we are still pioneering with LED's and specific spectrums their is no "Fails" here. Only different experiments that will give us results. Some we might not like but we learn from that and move on. Your off to a good start though. :)

N

ninjahippy

thanks for the reply testez. i have some follow up questions in regards to your responses.

Okay, as far as the pump goes, the idea was to use a 5 gallon reservoir for the water/nutrient mix and use a pump to circulate
air flow. I plan on hand watering the plants. So, is it better for the nutrient mix to have air or should I not bother with a pump at all?

I will take your advice on the CO2 tank, carbon filter and autoflowers

CA5P3R

CA5P3R

thanks for the reply testez. i have some follow up questions in regards to your responses.

Okay, as far as the pump goes, the idea was to use a 5 gallon reservoir for the water/nutrient mix and use a pump to circulate
air flow. I plan on hand watering the plants. So, is it better for the nutrient mix to have air or should I not bother with a pump at all?

You recommended to seed/veg with CFL's, does this mean the LED is only for the flowering stage?

So as far as the PH/TDS, since I am using soil, does that mean I dont need to monitor the ph level? Do I even need to buy a ph meter?

As far as lighting for the Seedlings I use Fluros in my little box I built from the Hardware store for about $50. However I believe you will be alright to start your seedlings under a Mag, I would just only use the Blue Spectrum and don't keep it to close, I would start with maybe 1.5-2ft away and adjust it by how you see your seedlings reacting. Bring them closer if you don't see problem until you are within about a foot from them.

Just don't keep them to high above for to long because then they will get all stretched trying to reach for light.

It's new gear for you so experiment a bit and you will find the sweet spots for everything. :)

N

ninjahippy

As far as lighting for the Seedlings I use Fluros in my little box I built from the Hardware store for about $50. However I believe you will be alright to start your seedlings under a Mag, I would just only use the Blue Spectrum and don't keep it to close, I would start with maybe 1.5-2ft away and adjust it by how you see your seedlings reacting. Bring them closer if you don't see problem until you are within about a foot from them.

Just don't keep them to high above for to long because then they will get all stretched trying to reach for light.

It's new gear for you so experiment a bit and you will find the sweet spots for everything. :)

Oh hey ca5p3r! the guys at 357 mag actually referred me to your second led grow post. I did look through it. He said something about using raw honey to enhance the flavor. He told me to use a combination of 60% perlite and 40% soil. I also checked out the air pots and the price is pretty hefty, are they worth it?
Now, is it better to use the fluros for seedlings/vegging? How come you use the the fluros when you can use your mag?
Nice homemade carbon filter btw, you are quite the handyman.

anyways thanks for the advice cas5p3r

CA5P3R

CA5P3R

Oh hey ca5p3r! the guys at 357 mag actually referred me to your second led grow post. I did look through it. He said something about using raw honey to enhance the flavor. He told me to use a combination of 60% perlite and 40% soil. I also checked out the air pots and the price is pretty hefty, are they worth it?
Now, is it better to use the fluros for seedlings/vegging? How come you use the the fluros when you can use your mag?
Nice homemade carbon filter btw, you are quite the handyman.

anyways thanks for the advice cas5p3r

Yeah right the Mag guys said to check out my journal? Nice guess they been watching too. Good to know. :)

Yeah I use straight up Promix HP, but the mix they told you sounds like a pretty good mix as it will have great drainage.

I like the Raw honey idea, I was looking into that a bit with my last grow but decided to just keep it standard and try new things to beat my benchmark. I may try that out in the last few weeks of flower since I do have some raw honey in the kitchen. I hear it is good for Carbo loading your buds too.

The AirPots do cost a little more then standard pots but I mean you are going to be using them going forward so it isn't really much of an expense in the long run.....well unless you are talking about a warehouse full of ladies, but that is out of my league. I do like them, though I will not really know until this one is done if they are everything I hope. I can say that my plants are a lot larger and the vigour is great. Though keep in mind my old pots were standard 2G and these are something like 3.3G so they also had more room to develop a solid root mass.

The only reason I start with Fluro is because I am doing a perpetual. So a week before my ladies go into 12/12 I cut clones off them and pop them in the Fluro box to root and then Veg until my Magnum is done with the Flowering ladies. If I had 3 tents with Magnums in them I would for sure use them all the way from Seed/cutting to harvest.

My plan is to get a second tent and am now really thinking of outfitting it with a Mag+. Then I would have 3 stages that would never stop running. 6 weeks in the Fluro box for cutting to take root and do some light vegging. Then 6 weeks in the Magnum 357 tent, the first 4 weeks would be Aggressive Veg and the next 2 weeks would be the beginning of Flower. Then over to the Mag+ tent for the final 6 weeks of Flower.

This way I will have a new Harvest every 6 weeks. Perhaps 7 week stages for longer running strains. That is the plan at least, I hope to have all three stages running near the end of this grow but may take the Mag+ for a start to finish grow first just to see what she can do on her own.

Haha thanks for the compliment on the Carbon filter but trust me I am no handy man, it was painful for me to walk around the Hardware store in search of what I could use to build one, but it surprisingly went pretty well once I got the materials.

N

ninjahippy

Thanks for the reply ca5p3r. Sounds like a good plan you got going there for your future grow. No prob on the compliment. One more thing I gotta ask since you have a mag+. I bought one recently, I turned it on and I noticed that 7 of the diodes weren't turning on at all blue or red spectrum. Was it made this way? or are the diodes dead? I posted pics of my unit in the mag plus thread. I'm worried about it so please get back to me soon. As you probably already know, its a hefty price and it should be fully functional when you are spending that kinda money.

T

testez

5 gallons = 20 liters

1gallon = 4 liters

\sorry canadian so I have to convert it to get a better idea.

i would get a 2 walmart rubbermaid tubs/reservoirs. Both 5 gallons. One for your nutrients/water and one for your water. The res for water should always have water in it. The water in it should be at least 24 to 48 hours standing in order to evaporate chlorine and/or chloramine and be ready for use. Once the water is is good n ready you transfer the amount that you need to the nutrients res. You then mix in your macro, then micro nutrients. Additives/vitamines and benificials come next.

The method that you choose to deliver your water/nutrients could be by hand or with a pump/hose/water wand. Other methods of delivery are numerous but to keep it simple we could use one of these 2 examples.

The airstone, if I understand your question is not needed in a simple drain to waist type of nutrient regiment. An air stone is usually used for recirculating nutrient regiments.

Basically if you want to use the pump, it's less laborious then watering by hand/. You have to do this every (depending on your recipe) day, maybe every other day or every third day so after awhile it gets tedious. Is it needed for small projects>> no.

Some choose to let their nutrient solutions "settle" for up to 48 hours before using it. Not a good idea IMo. When you have your |good| water ready in your nutrient res mix in your nutrients immediately then feed your ladies. :)

IMO The air stone and or added air into your nutrients and/or water would be a waist of electricity.

N

ninjahippy

Haha nice bro. Its probably gonna be a few more months before I actually start. I'm still in the process of doing research, getting supplies and finding a good spot. I will def keep you updated. Thanks for your interest.

I subbed, can't wait to see this journal unfold!

N

ninjahippy

Ill be using distilled water, its completely pure, no chlorine or containments. About the air stone, I talked to a few gro shop reps and they also told me i dont need it. I agree, its def a waste of electricity. Will a single 5 gal bucket work? I will just mix the nutrients with a wooden spoon and hand water.

5 gallons = 20 liters

1gallon = 4 liters

\sorry canadian so I have to convert it to get a better idea.

i would get a 2 walmart rubbermaid tubs/reservoirs. Both 5 gallons. One for your nutrients/water and one for your water. The res for water should always have water in it. The water in it should be at least 24 to 48 hours standing in order to evaporate chlorine and/or chloramine and be ready for use. Once the water is is good n ready you transfer the amount that you need to the nutrients res. You then mix in your macro, then micro nutrients. Additives/vitamines and benificials come next.

The method that you choose to deliver your water/nutrients could be by hand or with a pump/hose/water wand. Other methods of delivery are numerous but to keep it simple we could use one of these 2 examples.

The airstone, if I understand your question is not needed in a simple drain to waist type of nutrient regiment. An air stone is usually used for recirculating nutrient regiments.

Basically if you want to use the pump, it's less laborious then watering by hand/. You have to do this every (depending on your recipe) day, maybe every other day or every third day so after awhile it gets tedious. Is it needed for small projects>> no.

Some choose to let their nutrient solutions "settle" for up to 48 hours before using it. Not a good idea IMo. When you have your |good| water ready in your nutrient res mix in your nutrients immediately then feed your ladies. :)

IMO The air stone and or added air into your nutrients and/or water would be a waist of electricity.

CA5P3R

CA5P3R

Thanks for the reply ca5p3r. Sounds like a good plan you got going there for your future grow. No prob on the compliment. One more thing I gotta ask since you have a mag+. I bought one recently, I turned it on and I noticed that 7 of the diodes weren't turning on at all blue or red spectrum. Was it made this way? or are the diodes dead? I posted pics of my unit in the mag plus thread. I'm worried about it so please get back to me soon. As you probably already know, its a hefty price and it should be fully functional when you are spending that kinda money.

Thanks man. As for the Mag+ I don't actually own one as of yet. I am going to assume that the diodes that are not lit are the UV, this was the case with the original Magnum 357. If you want to be sure just give Grow Perfect a call, he'll let you know the deal.

I called for the same reason when I got my Mag. :)

C

chewchewbar

ninja quick question for you, are you in the states? and did you get hit with any duties/import taxes upon delivery? I keep reading that its either hit or miss with some claims of a total of 20%. With the mag+ costing 1k id be pretty pissed answering the door for dhl with a 200 dollar fee waiting on me :(

N

ninjahippy

Yes, I am in the states. There were no taxes and no shipping costs. They did however charge me in Canadian dollars. The exchange rate fluctuates based on the current market price of both currencies, so it can be either good or bad in regards to pricing.

ninja quick question for you, are you in the states? and did you get hit with any duties/import taxes upon delivery? I keep reading that its either hit or miss with some claims of a total of 20%. With the mag+ costing 1k id be pretty pissed answering the door for dhl with a 200 dollar fee waiting on me :(

N

ninjahippy

Yup, I called them and they were the UV bulbs. There are 7 of them. the 6 of them are in a pattern but there is one random one in the middle. Let me know if yours turns out to look the same. Oh and I got a question for ya. Should I use the blue spectrum or both for vegetative growth?

Thanks man. As for the Mag+ I don't actually own one as of yet. I am going to assume that the diodes that are not lit are the UV, this was the case with the original Magnum 357. If you want to be sure just give Grow Perfect a call, he'll let you know the deal.

I called for the same reason when I got my Mag. :)

CA5P3R

CA5P3R

Yup, I called them and they were the UV bulbs. There are 7 of them. the 6 of them are in a pattern but there is one random one in the middle. Let me know if yours turns out to look the same. Oh and I got a question for ya. Should I use the blue spectrum or both for vegetative growth?

Yeah that is what threw me off as well. My original Mag had I think it was 5 UV and 4 were in a pattern that seemed logical and then there was one near the far edge of one side.

I confirmed this was standard though after a friend of mine ordered 4 Mags and they all had UVs in the exact same place.

For Spectrum there have been some different schools of thought it seems. Some say in Veg it is good to use the Blue Spectrum by itself once every 3 or 4 days and then back to full spectrum.

I personally feel that if your unit has a certain wattage rating, then why not use all the power you can for all stages. Plus that way I won't have to remember when to change over the spectrums, set it and forget it is how I roll. :)

N

ninjahippy

haha yes. best to take full advantage of its capabilities

Yeah that is what threw me off as well. My original Mag had I think it was 5 UV and 4 were in a pattern that seemed logical and then there was one near the far edge of one side.

I confirmed this was standard though after a friend of mine ordered 4 Mags and they all had UVs in the exact same place.

For Spectrum there have been some different schools of thought it seems. Some say in Veg it is good to use the Blue Spectrum by itself once every 3 or 4 days and then back to full spectrum.

I personally feel that if your unit has a certain wattage rating, then why not use all the power you can for all stages. Plus that way I won't have to remember when to change over the spectrums, set it and forget it is how I roll. :)

Top Bottom