First Grow Shopping Cart (what’s missing?)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

hadnt been makin bacon lately but we both still ornary as all , be 2 years come halloween bro ,you been ok? the site has changed quite a bit, gave me a little problem navigating yesterday, but hey you know i still operate a push button phone when i can find it too hahahah hope all is well with you mate
Been an up and down ride but still to stubborn to sit down and give up. Nothing wrong with ornery brother... ya still bitchin ya still kickin.

Maybe pull out the old BB gun and give he a slap on the butt. Lol that'll get her 🥓🥓🥓 goin

Jakecan

Jakecan

How’s the end product as far as terpenoid content, cannabinoid content, bud structure? I realize other things play a part too...but I’m definitely curious about this stuff. Capable of top shelf end product?

wait...do they sell it in the US? Lol
End product is amazing. The buffer allows the plant to take up the nutrients it needs when it needs it. I've noticed better trichome production as well as a better quality smoke. No need to flush either as your plant will not be taking up any excess nutrients. White ash every time and amazing terpene profiles. They are based in Canada and I'm not sure they ship to US direct but I know there are hydro stores you can order from that ship to the US.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just my opinion but in a soil that's amended to already buffer PH you don't need to PH your nutrients. Your not going to change soil PH of a buffered soil with your ph adjusted water. Just doesn't work that way.

Jakecan

Jakecan

A bottle of dyna bloom is 1/3 the price and lasts twice as long. You literally pay 6 times more to grow with mantis. No way I'm gonna spend more on nutes than I do electric.
So bloom is to be used during the flowering stage. Looking at their website you'd still have to buy other parts in order to have an optimal grow. This is what I'm trying to avoid and why I stick to Mantis one part seedling to harvest.

Jakecan

Jakecan

Just my opinion but in a soil that's amended to already buffer PH you don't need to PH your nutrients. Your not going to change soil PH of a buffered soil with your ph adjusted water. Just doesn't work that way.
Forsure, not everyone is going to start with a PH buffered soil. I personally grow in coco and would love to move to DWC. Mantis is amazing in hydro especially dealing with a Res.

growsince79

growsince79

So bloom is to be used during the flowering stage. Looking at their website you'd still have to buy other parts in order to have an optimal grow. This is what I'm trying to avoid and why I stick to Mantis one part seedling to harvest.
If using good soil, you probably won't need nutes until flower. If you need extra N, just add 1/2 cup/g urine to the dyna bloom. Some growers here use foliage plus or dynagrow the entire cycle. But if you do use grow and bloom it's still only $40 for both and will last 12 times as long as the mantis.

Jakecan

Jakecan

If using good soil, you probably won't need nutes until flower. If you need extra N, just add 1/2 cup/g urine to the dyna bloom. Some growers here use foliage plus or dynagrow the entire cycle. But if you do use grow and bloom it's still only $40 for both and will last 12 times as long as the mantis.
Totally. I know my friends who use Mantis tend not to use any extra nutrients for the first 4-6 weeks until the nutrients in their soil start to deplete. To each their own and what works best for each person 🙂

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Forsure, not everyone is going to start with a PH buffered soil. I personally grow in coco and would love to move to DWC. Mantis is amazing in hydro especially dealing with a Res.
100% but I can't think of a soil sold that's not already amended.

Coco and hydro you have to control PH most definitely. Personally I like to have the control myself as in early veg for hydro I will run a Ph of 5.5 drifting up to 6 and PH down again then in flower I raise the pH a bit.

Same in coco 5.5-5.8 and by the end of flower I'm running 6.0-6.2.

I'm not sure about mantis but I do know ph perfect doesn't exactly play well with many other additives that are commonly used.

I'm a dry fert guy all the way. Cheap as can be and works for me.

Jakecan

Jakecan

100% but I can't think of a soil sold that's not already amended.

Coco and hydro you have to control PH most definitely. Personally I like to have the control myself as in early veg for hydro I will run a Ph of 5.5 drifting up to 6 and PH down again then in flower I raise the pH a bit.

Same in coco 5.5-5.8 and by the end of flower I'm running 6.0-6.2.

I'm not sure about mantis but I do know ph perfect doesn't exactly play well with many other additives that are commonly used.

I'm a dry fert guy all the way. Cheap as can be and works for me.
You can add additives and I know people do like to tinker and play around with it but I just haven't really seen the need to yet. I have tried some additives that aren't nutrients I won't say the name because people praise it, but, I did a side by side and did not notice a single difference in yield or quality by using Mantis with an additive compared to just using Mantis on its own.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You can add additives and I know people do like to tinker and play around with it but I just haven't really seen the need to yet. I have tried some additives that aren't nutrients I won't say the name because people praise it, but, I did a side by side and did not notice a single difference in yield or quality by using Mantis with an additive compared to just using Mantis on its own.
I can try to figure out why if you pm me rather than post? Often times ppl see different results and sometimes it's ppl praising snake oil and sometimes there is a explanation of why they seen differing results.

That's cannabis there are so many variables it can be very difficult to figure why with almost anything related.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Been an up and down ride but still to stubborn to sit down and give up. Nothing wrong with ornery brother... ya still bitchin ya still kickin.

Maybe pull out the old BB gun and give he a slap on the butt. Lol that'll get her 🥓🥓🥓 goin
nah when them old hens quit laying eggs they done haahah, i have had to get the pellet gun out though,went out back door last week to find about a 30 lb porcupine standing there ,so next day there it was in a tree asleep,it never woke up 2 days later another,them damn quills will even pierce welding gloves , hated to do it but,my fenced in yard is mine ,the wildlife have the other 2 1/4 acres,coming on porch knocking my corn buckets over,with luck im done with all that,love my critters hahah

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

nah when them old hens quit laying eggs they done haahah,

Well does that mean the rooster came before the chicken?

And I sure hope the chicken came before the egg lol.

Either which way if ya have eachother to be ornery with/at that's what's important.

Hope your not still pushing your stubborn ass all over the yard like your 20 still and getting some rest. How's the cage holding up? Or you manage to keep it agitated running around like your 20? Lol

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Well does that mean the rooster came before the chicken?

And I sure hope the chicken came before the egg lol.

Either which way if ya have eachother to be ornery with/at that's what's important.

Hope your not still pushing your stubborn ass all over the yard like your 20 still and getting some rest. How's the cage holding up? Or you manage to keep it agitated running around like your 20? Lol
well i had a few of them stitches break ,they sharp too,but ya all good mate,not much holds me down all though a 2015 nissan versus ac job about wiped me out,had to take whole dash out and seats too,that was atough job aint gonna lie,since then i kinda been laying back kinda hhahahah man if im gonna go ,i want no jobs unfinished .
you get that manifold figured out,last i seen you just had the flood table finished

Dothraki

Dothraki

This is all awesome info. I love when a little “debate“ happens because its the best way to get the in-depth details from both sides, pros and cons etc.

I went with the Mantis, and here’s why...

During my first grow I’d like to make it easy enough to succeed while still learn enough to try different methods in the future. My biggest concern is controlling temps and humidity, I imagine that’s going to be tough. The Mantis is expensive but if it does save the need to PH my water, and not worry about salt buildup and lockout, it’s worth it to me. I’m going with Mantis in a Coco/perlite mixture (as suggested) in 5g fabric “Smart Pots” (unless reason to avoid them with this setup) and will definitely need all the help I can get from all of you because I truly want these seeds to grow to the best of their potential, without me screwing it up haha. Also, it can be a good test for the people like me starting out from zero experience....to see if it’s a good system to consider. If this stuff allows me to grow some dank flowers with good potency, I’d like to see it succeed.

Keeping in mind if it produces crap, I could have screwed up other stuff lol.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

This is all awesome info. I love when a little “debate“ happens because its the best way to get the in-depth details from both sides, pros and cons etc.

I went with the Mantis, and here’s why...

During my first grow I’d like to make it easy enough to succeed while still learn enough to try different methods in the future. My biggest concern is controlling temps and humidity, I imagine that’s going to be tough. The Mantis is expensive but if it does save the need to PH my water, and not worry about salt buildup and lockout, it’s worth it to me. I’m going with Mantis in a Coco/perlite mixture (as suggested) in 5g fabric “Smart Pots” (unless reason to avoid them with this setup) and will definitely need all the help I can get from all of you because I truly want these seeds to grow to the best of their potential, without me screwing it up haha. Also, it can be a good test for the people like me starting out from zero experience....to see if it’s a good system to consider. If this stuff allows me to grow some dank flowers with good potency, I’d like to see it succeed.

Keeping in mind if it produces crap, I could have screwed up other stuff lol.
Coco is less forgiving, needs more frequent watering, and you will use more fertilizer through your grow. This isn't a problem if you know what you're getting into. You can have terrific results with coco.

I grow in soil because it fits my lifestyle better. I've automated what I can for when I'm out of town ... like this week. Work sent me to the windy city.
l
l

Dothraki

Dothraki

Coco is less forgiving, needs more frequent watering, and you will use more fertilizer through your grow. This isn't a problem if you know what you're getting into. You can have terrific results with coco.

I grow in soil because it fits my lifestyle better. I've automated what I can for when I'm out of town ... like this week. Work sent me to the windy city.
l
l
The watering part doesn’t worry me too much because I do have someone that can water for me if I go out of town...but I wasn’t aware that it’s less forgiving although it makes sense if the nutrients are going straight to the roots similar to full hydro. I also have gathered that it is more sensitive to heat changes, doesn’t retain as much, which makes me think I’ll really need to get the temps dialed in. Probably looking for some sort of small AC in the room but nowhere to vent it so will need to figure that out if the exhaust doesn’t take care of it. I‘m impressed at how many aspects there are to get a successful grow going, and how many variables can screw it up...on top of all the different growing methods lol. I bet I would shit a brick if I saw some of you guy‘s setups. It’s really cool....learning to grow like this can be applied to so many plants. I’ve always said the two things we should automatically be taught in every school is how to farm and how to patch a wound. Basic survival skills that were necessary for thousands of years up until recently.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The easiest way to success in a grow is to understand the type of grow your doing. If you don't then no matter what style you will have problems.

Imo after hydro, peat, coco and soil for mothers. Coco is the easiest to maintain the media. There is so much more control over your media than others. Don't like the ph and ppm...... simply flush through the ph and ppm ya want and done. Hopefully after some reading you can decide what you feel will meet the needs of your knowledge and time commitment.

Oh and I do not recommend starting in 1 gal coco. Just not a begginr thing.

5 gal pots for coco is way to big unless you plany on growing trees and I'd say not likely in a 3x3. hell 5 gal pots are imo to big for soil in your 3x3. Pots that are to big will likely cause you watering issues just like pots to small if your not able to maintain them.

The whole benefit to coco is less media. 3 gal 70/30 is a pretty forgiving media to start that won't require a crap ton of watering like 1 gals do.

If your going to do coco read these.

If your going to do soil read these 2.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

well i had a few of them stitches break ,they sharp too,but ya all good mate,not much holds me down all though a 2015 nissan versus ac job about wiped me out,had to take whole dash out and seats too,that was atough job aint gonna lie,since then i kinda been laying back kinda hhahahah man if im gonna go ,i want no jobs unfinished .
you get that manifold figured out,last i seen you just had the flood table finished
Sure did.. worked great. My only complaint is they need to make timers with breathalyzers.... managed a few or more unitended modifications to the watering schedule... like no water for I think a day or 2? And at 14x a day peak watering that's a mistake that you can't make. (Or atleasr can't make sober) I can't remember it's in that journal. The gelato was a cranky bitch to the end. Hated high light and very light feeder so I said to hell with her she's gonna sit at the table and finish what's she gets... also took away the sunscreen but she produced pretty well considering the abuse.

Last edited:
Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Just wanna say. What a thread! Hope this info can become a resource for future farmers as well. The AMan gives the best advice. I wouldn’t contradict him, although for me coco isn’t the most simple media. Peat base (pro-mix hp, or sunshine4) more Forgiving.
Coco can give better results tho for sure. For my future gro starting soon,
If available local I’ll run promixhpcc, if not I’ll mix up my own with canna.
great advice lads.👊 op is lucky to shop his list here.🤠

66F5DE0E EE75 45F0 A532 57C64F64A081
Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just wanna say. What a thread! Hope this info can become a resource for future farmers as well. The AMan gives the best advice. I wouldn’t contradict him, although for me coco isn’t the most simple media. Peat base (pro-mix hp, or sunshine4) more Forgiving.
Coco can give better results tho for sure. For my future gro starting soon,
If available local I’ll run promixhpcc, if not I’ll mix up my own with canna.
great advice lads.👊 op is lucky to shop his list here.🤠
I think MY biggest issue was going from hydro to peat.... made growth rates like watching paint dry... the peat to coco made coco feel like God mode.

So in hindsight I more than likely have some bias I'm my opinion but like I say. The best media is one that suit out knowledge and time commitment so its going g to be another no right answer question or rather should I say all right answer question... little more positive note 😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom