First Grow Shopping Cart (what’s missing?)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Everyone knows that snorting heroin isn’t quite as effective as shooting it right to the veins...surely cannabis must work in the same way. Is Hydro considered the “master race” of growing? I need to look into that some more lol.
With faster growth comes less time to react and faster progression of issues.

Sure it's fast but as I said the media you will be most successful I'm is the one you understand. There is a lot to learn about each style and some require a lot more investment in equipment... like hydro.

This was 2 weeks growth in hydro and personally after doing both I prefer coco. Each has its benefits and draw backs.

IMG 20191218 194941
IMG 20200101 124659
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Is that to help with root formation to keep the plant strong through the life cycle? Does it make a difference growing in the coco perlite mixture in fabric? I would prefer to use 3g just to keep the plants smaller but curious what other effects it would have for instance more frequent watering (feeding?) and how that ultimately affects the plant or heat retention if temps are fluctuating....I want all the nitty gritty lol. I’m surprised I can’t find more in depth info on this, everything just references yield but I’m sure there’s more to it than that right?
It's also better for watering and feeding cycles. Its best to saturate then let dry then saturate and let dry in cycles. Watering in large pots makes that more difficult to judge their needs for me and its a waste of nutes & adds too much humdity. Why feed 2 gallons of liquid in a 5 gallon pot when you only need a quart of feed in a smaller pot? Transplanting is easy if done at the right times and it doesn't shock them if you are gentle with the transplant.

growsince79

growsince79

It's also better for watering and feeding cycles. Its best to saturate then let dry then saturate and let dry in cycles. Watering in large pots makes that more difficult to judge their needs for me and its a waste of nutes & adds too much humdity. Why feed 2 gallons of liquid in a 5 gallon pot when you only need a quart of feed in a smaller pot? Transplanting is easy if done at the right times and it doesn't shock them if you are gentle with the transplant.
Perfect answer.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Sure it's fast but as I said the media you will be most successful I'm is the one you understand. There is a lot to learn about each style and some require a lot more investment in equipment... like hydro.

This was 2 weeks growth in hydro and personally after doing both I prefer coco. Each has its benefits and draw backs.
Wow....Show off........You've even put mylar on your pots.....not to waste any stray bouncing rays eh? ....Too fking clean though.... that's too hard to emulate for this slob.....I needs me some dirt....lol............Nice stuff man !! What light is that you are using?😍😍

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

As @Aqua Man said, with faster growth comes less reaction time to correct issues. What he didn't say is some of these issues can be deadly quickly. So make sure you have your pH pen of good quality and calibrate it regularly. Also purchase a ppm pen of good quality. I use Blue Lab's but they are pricey. Maybe someone here can suggest less costly RELIABLE tools for your tool kit. Coco is usually hand-watered in the smaller grows so it's a good choice for getting started if you are interested in hydro-type growing.

The only good reason not to use coco is in a situation like me. I'm gone a lot for work. If I'm gone for 5 days, my plants will still be fine. That's not so with coco ... unless you automate, and that's where it can get really pricey!

Dothraki

Dothraki

I think what drove me towards coco was simply the nutrient “all in one” stuff called Mantis. No need to PH, adjust nutrients, flush, or worry about lockout from salt buildup. Those are necessary skills I will need to develop sure, but if I can get the basics down of everything else like climate, ventilation, pruning, training etc.. then I can focus more on the rest next time, and I would like to learn to grow organic in soil.

On a side note...I am very critical of the quality of flower I buy to smoke, so if I end up getting good results with this magic Mantis juice...I’ll know it’s a legitimately good or exceptionally good product. Reminds me of an infomercial product..but been told it actually works. Cant wait to find out!

Dothraki

Dothraki

Getting excited. Carbon filter and tent arrived today...I’m thinking I might be ready to pop the seeds next weekend.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Wow....Show off........You've even put mylar on your pots.....not to waste any stray bouncing rays eh? ....Too fking clean though.... that's too hard to emulate for this slob.....I needs me some dirt....lol............Nice stuff man !! What light is that you are using?😍😍
That's an HLG 600 v1 with the Samsung 561c diodes.

The stuff around the pots is reflective bubble wrap insulation to keep the 80f+ air temps and 72f water temps from forming condensate and influencing my water temps between lights on and off.

Was really good growth in there but I can't even say how much of a pita the pruning and plant maintenance was in that setup.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

As @Aqua Man said, with faster growth comes less reaction time to correct issues. What he didn't say is some of these issues can be deadly quickly. So make sure you have your pH pen of good quality and calibrate it regularly. Also purchase a ppm pen of good quality. I use Blue Lab's but they are pricey. Maybe someone here can suggest less costly RELIABLE tools for your tool kit. Coco is usually hand-watered in the smaller grows so it's a good choice for getting started if you are interested in hydro-type growing.

The only good reason not to use coco is in a situation like me. I'm gone a lot for work. If I'm gone for 5 days, my plants will still be fine. That's not so with coco ... unless you automate, and that's where it can get really pricey!
100% brother.

growsince79

growsince79

I think what drove me towards coco was simply the nutrient “all in one” stuff called Mantis. No need to PH, adjust nutrients, flush, or worry about lockout from salt buildup. Those are necessary skills I will need to develop sure, but if I can get the basics down of everything else like climate, ventilation, pruning, training etc.. then I can focus more on the rest next time, and I would like to learn to grow organic in soil.

On a side note...I am very critical of the quality of flower I buy to smoke, so if I end up getting good results with this magic Mantis juice...I’ll know it’s a legitimately good or exceptionally good product. Reminds me of an infomercial product..but been told it actually works. Cant wait to find out!
Hate to tell you, but the quality of your buds will have very little to do with your choice of nutes. Get good genetics...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

100% brother.

Just a word of caution. Marketing and reality are usually not quite the same.

Any complete nutrient will grow great cannabis. It's the grower knowledge and environment that are going to determine how close you get to the genetic potential. Great cannabis can be grown with any of the nutrients you see people using here.

Dothraki

Dothraki

2 WEEKS!?!? Damn! Mind if I ask what strain? The reason I wanted to learn to grow is because it’s hard to find my favorite strains, although is turning into a nice science experiment...which I also love! Win Win!

Dothraki

Dothraki

100% brother.

Just a word of caution. Marketing and reality are usually not quite the same.

Any complete nutrient will grow great cannabis. It's the grower knowledge and environment that are going to determine how close you get to the genetic potential. Great cannabis can be grown with any of the nutrients you see people using here.
Hate to tell you, but the quality of your buds will have very little to do with your choice of nutes. Get good genetics...
I disagree. Removing variables that could lead to problems can better help me diagnose the problem. For instance, testing for PH, figuring out feed cycles, readjusting for what appear to be nutrient deficiencies or burn only to be unaware that it was my light height or intensity, temps, humidity etc.

With the nutrients and PH management to the side, I can learn what mistakes I will make from everything else. That way, I have less to guess what I did wrong.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

2 WEEKS!?!? Damn! Mind if I ask what strain? The reason I wanted to learn to grow is because it’s hard to find my favorite strains, although is turning into a nice science experiment...which I also love! Win Win!
Hmmm I can look. I actually had to cut and toss it because of that 2 weeks of growth. Had a family emergency and had my daughter look after it while I was gone for 2 weeks out of province. A perfect example of faster is not always better and can bite you in the ass if you blink.

I didn't have the drive to try and fight that jungle for 8 weeks. That's why it's an unprinted overgrown mess.

It was citrol sledgehammer from GK. I haven't seen him here in a while but I have his contact info. Gk genetics and he has a site if ya Google.

Thus the diary for that grow. Disappointing end but hey only makes you appreciate when shit goes right.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
I dig your motivation bro but get a good light and play with different substrates. I prefer soil simply because I deal with it daily in my job and I know how it works for the plants I use outside of marijuana. If it's not broke don't fix it kind of thing.

I feel that you may be gathering too much for a first grow. Weed can be grown with minimal light and no nutrients. When we involve or over think these, things start to get more complicated and the plant feels/shows it. That's my beginner tip. Just get a good light, a tent and the other basics and start growing.

With as much though and money as you are planning/putting in to this, I feel that if things go south you may drop the hobby. You can have a really decent first grow without the tech. Learn yourself from the first and upgrade from there is all I'm saying.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I disagree. Removing variables that could lead to problems can better help me diagnose the problem. For instance, testing for PH, figuring out feed cycles, readjusting for what appear to be nutrient deficiencies or burn only to be unaware that it was my light height or intensity, temps, humidity etc.

With the nutrients and PH management to the side, I can learn what mistakes I will make from everything else. That way, I have less to guess what I did wrong.
Ph management is the least of your worries brother. This is speaking from experience. And personally I much rather have control of my ph than not.

Then there is the chelates they use to achieve the PH balancing. The PH balancing nutes often don't play nice in the sandbox when you mess with adding other things so limit your options.

But these are the things you don't read about on the label and websites.

🦄, are dangerous. And I'm not saying they don't work because they absolutely do. But with thier advantages also come disadvantages and to manage ph I don't feel it's worth it.

Personal choice. I'm one of those guys that just despise ph perfect and the likes as I have seen some pretty hard to diagnose issues when things are added to them.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Most definitely. I was never looking to grow fast. Speed and yield are not something I’m interested in. Only final quality. Of course I’ll have to dig deep and get some real world experience in before that happens...this grow will only be step one. I don’t expect it to be fire out of the gate....but will do everything I can to attempt it haha.

oh btw...the seeds were from Humboldt Seed Co. Called pineapple upside down cake. Heard they have good genetics but also read that most Trainwreck strains have a tendency to herm? So...maybe I’ll find out.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I dig your motivation bro but get a good light and play with different substrates. I prefer soil simply because I deal with it daily in my job and I know how it works for the plants I use outside of marijuana. If it's not broke don't fix it kind of thing.

I feel that you may be gathering too much for a first grow. Weed can be grown with minimal light and no nutrients. When we involve or over think these, things start to get more complicated and the plant feels/shows it. That's my beginner tip. Just get a good light, a tent and the other basics and start growing.

With as much though and money as you are planning/putting in to this, I feel that if things go south you may drop the hobby. You can have a really decent first grow without the tech. Learn yourself from the first and upgrade from there is all I'm saying.
So much this.

Concentrate on a good light with potentiometer in a tent is a must and ENVIRMWNTAL control.

The second will likely be the biggest issues you will have if doing coco.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Ph management is the least of your worries brother. This is speaking from experience. And personally I much rather have control of my ph than not.

Then there is the chelates they use to achieve the PH balancing. The PH balancing nutes often don't play nice in the sandbox when you mess with adding other things so limit your options.

But these are the things you don't read about on the label and websites.

🦄, are dangerous. And I'm not saying they don't work because they absolutely do. But with thier advantages also come disadvantages and to manage ph I don't feel it's worth it.

Personal choice. I'm one of those guys that just despise ph perfect and the likes as I have seen some pretty hard to diagnose issues when things are added to them.
I understand. That is one of the risks I am willing to take but...I don’t plan on adding anything else. I want to see if the bottle does what it says, without intervening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom