First Grow :)

• Thread starter Og420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Og420

Og420

So im starting my first grow, seeds should arrive on monday or tuesday, getting 3 purple widow and 1 fem big bang, gonna be starting by planting 1 seed using a 40watt light, while I finish off the main grow closet, in 2 weeks,in witch time it should have a light a small exahust fan and a door :), do plants smell much when there vegging? if so then might have to also build a diy cf until i get the money together to buy one with a more powerful fan.

Only planting one seed to start with to learn the basics with, figure theres no point shelling out for loads of seeds and planting them all to kill them all and have to make the purchase again, so went with cheaper genetics witch also means i can finish off my cab sooner, and go for better genetics second time affound

Got my seeds through single weed seeds, all 4 plus special delivery = £10.12, was originally just going to get the big bang but couldnt resist the purple widow at £1.27 a seed lol

In the time between getting my hid 400watt light, i might grab a 150 watt cfl off ebay if i can find one at a good price to add to the current 40watt i have.

Ill upload some pics of the seeds and there packaging when they arrive and the next update will be when they have sprouted :)

The purple widow seeds are reg, if by some stroke of a mirical i get a phenomenal phino (male or female) how late can you take clones and whats the best way to store them to root at a later date ( is it possible to freeze them?)

im sure any problems i come across the farm will be able to be help

cant wait to start my first grow :)

S

Sense

Sick dude! Those are some good genes to work with.

I'm pretty sure freezing a cutting isn't the best idea, or best way to store clones. Maybe another farmer can add to that...

But you can take cuttings as long as the mother is still in vegetative growth. Once she starts blooming, you'll have to revert the clones back to veg, which takes time, energy, essentially stunting their growth.

Good luck on popping your first bean. I prefer the 'paper-towel method' for germination. Then transplant sprout into prepped soil or rockwool cubes.

How are you planning on growing 'em, soil or hydro.

Good luck dude.

Og420

Og420

gonna be soil to go with, looked into hydro but found out it's not as forgiving with nutes and everything so soil seems the way to go for the first grow, just snaged a 150watt cfl and reflector off ebay for £17.50 aswell, that should be here next week, could proberly have done with buying some wood to build a door for my cab but at that price i couldnt pass up the light lol

I'll proberly germ in soil as well, dont want to be messing with the sprouts, im not the best at dealing with things like that lol, gonna soak them in warter for a few hours first, was reading that that usualy helps with germing.

have you grown any purple widow?, the ones that turn out to be male ill take down the lane and plant in the bushes by the river, not to worried about someone finding a male, whats the best way to gather pollen from them? can you store pollen for long periods of time?

thanks

Og420

Og420

So seeds came today, have pic's on my phone to upload but cant get my phone to connect to the pc atm,

seeds were ordered from single weed seeds, arrived this morning, had to be signed for. They were well packaged, each individual seed was in it's own baggy with a label on the front saying what seed it was and had a piece of the breeder pack inside. All seeds were then placed in a bubble wrap bag and then into a bubbled jiffy bag for posting.

Potted 2 seeds, the fem big bang and one of the purple widows. They are currently in an old pc case with a 40watt desk lamp providing light until my 150watt cfl gets delivered. The pc case is only going to be used until I finish off building the cab, just need to make a door and get some magnetic locks for it now, so will either be done this week or in 2 weeks time when i next get paid.

Plants are currently in small pots ( don't have the exact size) with cling film over the top secured by an elastic band to keep the humidity up until they germ.

The pc case has not been light proofed and I haven't added any fans in as it's full of holes, but is currently sitting behind 3 guitars and a guitar case witch is stopping the case from lighting up the room to much.

Looking forward to when they brake the soil :)

Just read that they need to be in the dark to germ so light has now been switched off, until they brake the surface

Og420

Og420

My 150w cfl arrived today, it also smashed today :(

so now im on the hunt for a new bulb, does anyone know if it would be alright to run a 250w in the reflector that came with the 150? i havnt got any more info on it other than the bulb it came with was a 150w

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

My 150w cfl arrived today, it also smashed today :(

so now im on the hunt for a new bulb, does anyone know if it would be alright to run a 250w in the reflector that came with the 150? i havnt got any more info on it other than the bulb it came with was a 150w

I dont know if yours will be okay with it. What brand light did you get? I think most of them are able to do that. I can tell you I have a Hydro Farm 150 watt cfl running a 250 watt bulb right now for my veg room.

Og420

Og420

I dont know if yours will be okay with it. What brand light did you get? I think most of them are able to do that. I can tell you I have a Hydro Farm 150 watt cfl running a 250 watt bulb right now for my veg room.

I'm not 100% sure, there's a sticker on the back that says "maxibright British horticulture" so at a guess id say a maxibright there's no numbers on it for a model or anything though

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

I'm not 100% sure, there's a sticker on the back that says "maxibright British horticulture" so at a guess id say a maxibright there's no numbers on it for a model or anything though

If you have a grow store near you just take the light in they should let you try it out in the store. If not be sure to buy it from someone who will allow you to return the 250 if it wont light

Og420

Og420

Just been out to the local hardware store and got wood to build a door for my lager cab, shame i didn't do this earlier, properly wouldn't have broke my bulb trying to fit it in a case that was such a tight squeeze. seed's are yet to brake soil and still in the pc case, I turn the light on for about an hour every few hours to try and keep the temps in there up at the minute, or should i just be leaving them in the dark or just in light? since they haven't broken the soil yet I flinger it wouldn't make to much of a difference.

If anyone's got any tips on something that I could change, or something that I'm doing wrong, please chime in.

It's going to be 2 weeks before I can afford to buy another bulb, witch is also pushing back everything else i need to buy, eg hps for flowering and a carbon filter, I'm expecting it to be 4 weeks till I can get a carbon filter and another 4 weeks after that until I can get a hps, unless i manage to find one hell of a deal on ebay

Og420

Og420

If you have a grow store near you just take the light in they should let you try it out in the store. If not be sure to buy it from someone who will allow you to return the 250 if it wont light

There used to be one thats not to far, not sure if it's still there, ill go take a look when i can convince someone to gimme a lift, would putting a 250 watt in the reflector not damage the light if the reflector cant use it? or would it simply not come on?

Og420

Og420

Just had an email back from a guy selling the 250w on ebay, he says that as it's self ballasted it works with any e40 hanger or reflector, so ill order one in 2 weeks when i can afford it and cross my fingers that it works as the 150 is more expensive than the 250

Og420

Og420

Big Bang has just popped her head out the soil, she looks very white tho, almost like the tap roots come up?

I'll post a pic when I get some batteries for my camera as it's not coming out so well on the phone

Og420

Og420

it's looking more yellowish in the photo's and it's a bit small to get the camera to focus on

DSCF0328
DSCF0329
DSCF0330
DSCF0333
Og420

Og420

The big bang has now truend green :) but is still yellowed/brown around the edge, thinking it might be a fert burn from the soil :/
Purple Widow has now sprouted and is under an 11w cfl untill my 250w arrives mid next week :D purple widow is looking lovely and green not the yellow colour that big bang was when she first surfaced

The taller seedling is the big bang and the one uncurling is the purple widow

DSCF0334
DSCF0340
DSCF0341
DSCF0342
Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

They look so cute. Hey to go backward on you no you wont hurt your light if you use one to big it just wont light.

Og420

Og420

They look so cute. Hey to go backward on you no you wont hurt your light if you use one to big it just wont light.

the big bud really shot up last night, grew an inch over night, i was surprised havnt had anything have a growth spurt like that before, give it 3 weeks and it'l probably be twice the size of my chilli plant that's 5 months old, that thing is tiny tho to be fair

hanks for the reply doc, yea i was emailing a guy on ebay how said the fittings on the e40 reflectors are good for 125-300w lights as there self blasting, and then went and bout one off someone cheaper, if it dosnt work or i brake this one ill be writing it down to karma, but with a $30 saving ill risk the karma points lol

off to the hardware store to buy a drill and some screws on friday woohoo, got a feeling im gonna need to find a way to lightproof the door, hard to tell at the as its not all fitted together properly yet but it looks like it's going to have a 2mm gap all the way around :/

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

got a feeling im gonna need to find a way to lightproof the door, hard to tell at the as its not all fitted together properly yet but it looks like it's going to have a 2mm gap all the way around :/

Duct tape to the rescue.

Og420

Og420

Purple Widow's growing ahead, got it's second set of leaves today :D, the bog bang still hasnt got the 2nd leaves and seems to have streched a fair bit, im guessing thats from the first night where the lamp was stood upright so she had to climb up for the light, light was lowered after the second day so hopefully it's gonna sort it's self out, leaves still look a little burnt around the edge and it's defiantly not from heat. Added a fan in there today to try and help the stems thicken, all seems to be going well so far :)

Og420

Og420

5 days since big bang germed and 3 days from when purple widow germed and the widow is storming ahead

(plant 1 up from the bottom is purple widow and the bottom pic is the big bang )

the fan is on rotate so it blows over the plants as well as around them, there still only under an 11w cfl, but they seem to be doing well, ill update next when i have installed my new light and finished the cab, unless something unforseen happens with the plants

Top Bottom