First Grow

• Thread starter Limber pine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bostix

Bostix

so I have two raised beds been farming tomatoes in for years.. Be perfect space to grow two of my new fave Godberry ( one in my current grow that I got some clones off of) but my question is after what u learned u going to put all four in soil or pots next year? I'm really thinking of keeping in pots sense I have the indoor grow room if I need to Corentine or put out of sight.

L

Limber pine

Well, I used the BT to try and fight the caterpillars, but I wasn't using it until I saw the caterpillars. From what I've read on here, in an outdoor grow, one must use the BT from the beginning of flower. It's funny, I've always liked caterpillars, untiiiiiil they started eating my buds!!

http://www.amazon.com/Monterey-Cate...e-1-Pint/dp/B00ANT611U?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20

My White Widows had Powdery mildew and I used Neem oil to combat it during growth and then the peroxide water bath to clean them off after I harvested. Those both seemed to work really well.

Next year, I will be mixing up one of the composted soil mixes that people have posted about on here and using that, with any supplemental potassium I may need during flower. I try really hard to stay away from anything where I'm not sure what's in it, because from what I've ready a lot of fertilizers synthetic and organic can contain pretty hefty amounts of heavy metals in them.

Again I will do 2 in the ground and 2 in pots, but I will move away from the 5 gallon bucket and go to 15 gallon smartpots for my potted plants. I may also do a 3x3 hole per in ground plant, where this year I did a 4x4 hole for both.

L

Limber pine

I just like using sunlight to grow my plants. Partially, because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for the extra electricity. :D

Otherwise, I would try some indoor at some point. I think for the space I have, 2 in ground and 2 in pots will be good. If I did 4 in ground, it may draw too much attention.

L

Limber pine

But believe me, if I had the space, I would try and grow 4 trees in ground! Some of the massive plants I've seen on here, I would love to be able to try and grow on my own property!

The Shivers

The Shivers

I've been growing mostly in pots and have been pretty happy with the results. They give me a good plant size and they're easy-ish to move around which helps keep them in the sun and out of the neighbors line of sight as they get bigger.

I use #10 and #20 nursery pots. These are pretty cheap if you get them from some nurseries and pretty expensive if you get them from fancy garden centers. I paid about $10 for the #20 and $6 for the #10.

The #20s are about 20"w 18"d
The #10s are about 15"w 12"d

I think if my raised bed (also used for tomatoes) was in a different spot, I'd be growing in there now that it's legal. One issues I've had when I've done it in there before was the plant size got a little out of control, this is both a good problem and a bad one ;)

L

Limber pine

But believe me, if I had the space, I would try and grow 4 trees in ground! Some of the massive plants I've seen on here, I would love to be able to try and grow on my own property!
Grow big plants like that I mean.

The Shivers

The Shivers

As for the catapillars, this season I sprayed BT every 4-5 days until about two weeks befor harvest. It seems to have been pretty good effort. I saw the fewest cats this season since I started (6th year now).

Thanks to the good advice I found on this forum, half-way through the season I started alternating between BT and spinosad.

L

Limber pine

It's funny. I did see quite a few cats out by my plants late in the season. Is there a reason for this?

L

Limber pine

Bahhh, the cure is the hardest part! I opened up couple jars this morning to let them breath, and they just smell amazing! So rad!

The Trainwreck is just super citrusy and the White Widow is sweet with a hint of diesel. Yum.

The Shivers

The Shivers

It's funny. I did see quite a few cats out by my plants late in the season. Is there a reason for this?
What I've learned is that every season it's something... But for sure, a regular BT regiment will make you and your grow happy.

Last year I found a leaf where an egg sack had just hatched and there were 10,000 tiny and very hungry caterpillars on the one leaf. I picked it off, chucked it on the ground and did a happy dance on it. It's hard to win against numbers like that...

L

Limber pine

Yeah, I won't lie. It was very gratifying to get those caterpillars out of the buds! Even when I was trimming stuff up before drying, I would find them and smash em up, what good that did though, because they had already chomped through a bunch of the colas.

Bostix

Bostix

Alright you guys got me convinced about the BT so I will start a regiment this coming year and yes I'm using pots I already am using 10 gallon in my indoor. So I will probably just use the same. And I think I'm the most nervous about the curing process myself a grown a lot of plants over the years seems to be the easy part.so exciting to hear that you're having some success Limber pine!!

Bostix

Bostix

So what kind of soils are you guys planning on using in your pots next year? In my indoor I just used Foxfarm Ocean Forest and all there main nutes. Was wondering if I could just use something like that ?

Bostix

Bostix

Just thought I would mention that you can kind of see my raised beds and my profile photo and I have a second just to the right of the one you can see but anyways something interesting is that the last four years I have been growing asparagus to the most far right bed . Have not harvested yet since they need a few years to grab roots so I let them grow out to about 5 foot trees then tie them up on top to make a canopy just to make it easy to walk around. But the last four years anyways there has been hatches of ladybugs in the canopy they seem to hang out there all Summer I was even thinking they might've even hatched in there but just thought I might mention my little found secret!

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

So, I just found a couple caterpillars on the buds. About a week ago, I noticed a small portion of one of the buds rotting and thought it might be due to rain, so I removed it. But now I see the caterpillars crawling around and have been removing them by hand. Should I be spraying something on them to get rid of them? I'm thinking I still may have 2 weeks of flowering left. Any help would be appreciated!

Yeah the cats'll getcha. I heard BT spray every full moon will stop them in their tracks. I guess, from what im told by a very talented outdoor grower, they mate and lay eggs every full moon. Also what you gotta keep an eye out for, is moths. Moths lay the eggs and cause the cats. I also hear a good bug net will help stop the moths from making it to your buds

Also, make sure to chop out ALL the affected buds. if you dont itll spread. Go in with tweezers and pull as many off as you can

The BT spray will be pretty cheap. grab some asap

L

Limber pine

Yeah, I used the BT twice, but I think it was just oo late in the game. I chopped pretty much everything down, a little early unfortunately, but I had a good percentage of cloudy tricomes, with some bud hairs turning brown, but some still primarily white. I just thought it best to do the chop and get some, instead of waiting it out and possibly loosing a ton more to mold and the caterpillars. The BT was much cheaper than I had anticipated, so that was nice and now I have plenty for next years grow.

L

Limber pine

Top Bottom