First Grow

• Thread starter PDXLifted
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PDXLifted

PDXLifted

First two pictures are the citrus sap. The third picture is my strawberry cough momma that's been left outsoors - no light deprivation. Looks like it's that special time of the year here in Portlandia!

PDXLifted

PDXLifted

:smoking: Thank you all, gents. It's thanks to folks like you for sharing information that it's gone so well this first time!

Sorry for double posting a few pictures, I post from my phone and it doesnt show all the images that are uploaded sometimes. Here's a shot of the strawberry cough yesterday.

The second picture is one of my ladies in the grow tent. It's a 3x3 with a 250w LED (platinum LED) and a 150 w HPS. I've got a 600w HPS set up as well for flower.
I'm upgrading to a 4x4 in the next week or so and will switch over to the 600 watt.
There are two citrus saps and one purple cheese in the tent.

Last edited:
PDXLifted

PDXLifted

Hola fellow farmers, hope you all are doing well and that your crops are doing even better!

Day 53 of flower and we are getting very close. Tomorrow (Saturday) will be the 5th day of flush (using water + clearex); here are a few pictures of the citrus sap ladies.
About 10% of the trichs are amber under a loupe. I will post some pictures of the bubble gum tomorrow, they're at least a couple days behind the citrus saps, surprisingly.

One love

PDXLifted

PDXLifted

This little lady (citrus sap) is ready to go a little bit early. Day 57 is tomorrow and she's already at about 40% ambers on several of the main colas. Im going to let the other one go until the weekend at least and go from there.

Over the past few days I've pretrimmed some of the fans that were on larger colas, and since I defoliated the plant at day 23 about 99% of the leaves that remain(ed) will now make great hash to have a fun trimming party with the homies.

One love.

Last edited:
PDXLifted

PDXLifted

Here's a picture of the final product of the citrus sap (hang dried for 6 days, and sitting in glass jars with boveta 62 since) The final total was 13 ounces off of those two plants which were in 5 gallon pots (originally plan was to flower indoors).
The bubble gums were 3 weeks younger and yielded 6.5 ounces between the two of them; they were also in 5 gallon pots. I'll post a photo of the bubble guns in a week or so.

My second grow of the outdoor season already is well underway and 2-4 weeks into flower depending on the strains. I am almost done with the indoor set up.

Otherwise. This journal is done - thanks for reading folks!

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

nice, very nice good pics. whats the shell looking stuff in the pots. look like top of a acorn.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Hola fellow farmers, hope you all are doing well and that your crops are doing even better!

Day 53 of flower and we are getting very close. Tomorrow (Saturday) will be the 5th day of flush (using water + clearex); here are a few pictures of the citrus sap ladies.
About 10% of the trichs are amber under a loupe. I will post some pictures of the bubble gum tomorrow, they're at least a couple days behind the citrus saps, surprisingly.

One love
what is in clearex please?

Ecompost

Ecompost

citric acid and long chain sugar
helps with flushing
ok, so it is a polysaccharide but how does the citric acid work to help, esp in light of Citric acid being a principle component made by plants during the krebs cycle? I would anticipate that excess Citric acid may well harm the delicate balance of the Krebs Cycle. I have of course heard of Vitamin C being used at later stages to assist with stress relief and I am told it helps trichome production, but that same can be achieved by foliar feeding half a soluble aspirin in a litre of water to stimulate SA and so impact terps, flavs tanins and other essential oils. Wouldn't you need extra P to take advantage of this extra citric/carb content?

I am not sure what your product is doing can you explain how it helps you? What benefits are you really seeing with its use? One can see how Citric acid is used to metabolize carbohydrates as part of the natural krebs cycle of course, but is the plant using this extra?
http://chemistry.about.com/od/biochemistry/ss/citricacidcycle.htm

Some thoughts on flushing from Silas..

Flushing additives containing EDTA (Final Phase etc..) or other chelation agents can also help breakdown and prevent salt buildup. But Warning, Adding significant EBDT to a root mass saturated with high ppms will break down trapped salts creating more ppms, as well as making the existing ppms far more absorbable, and it can KILL a plant. So always flush thoroughly with tap water (or very low strength nutes) first before using high levels of EDTA. (I will discuss this more in the the upcoming “Root Zone: article)

Also, it is a common misconception that a “final flush” (i.e. eliminating all nutrients for the last week or two) improves the “taste” of the final product by reducing “minerals” from the buds. The amount of “minerals” (technically they are colloidal elements) at any moment traveling in a plant regardless of the feeding levels is microscopic compared to the weight of the plant, and the vast majority of those miniscule levels are carried in the xylem (plant vascular system) found in the stems and leaves, NOT the flowers. So the only real, functional benefit of flushing is it reduces chlorophyll levels, i.e. it yellows out the plant, and this will improve the taste, reducing the need for curing because it is the green chlorophyll that causes the harsh taste often wrongly ascribed to “minerals.”

However, if you reduce the chlorophyll, you reduce the plants energy source and with it all aspect of growth including resin. Bottom line: flushing to the point of significant plant yellowing will improve taste, but it does it at the possible expense of resin and fragrance production, so you may be better served to flush only enough to prevent salts, and remove the chlorophyll later during the drying/curing process.

Wisher619

Wisher619

ok, so it is a polysaccharide but how does the citric acid work to help, esp in light of Citric acid being a principle component made by plants during the krebs cycle? I would anticipate that excess Citric acid may well harm the delicate balance of the Krebs Cycle. I have of course heard of Vitamin C being used at later stages to assist with stress relief and I am told it helps trichome production, but that same can be achieved by foliar feeding half a soluble aspirin in a litre of water to stimulate SA and so impact terps, flavs tanins and other essential oils. Wouldn't you need extra P to take advantage of this extra citric/carb content?

I am not sure what your product is doing can you explain how it helps you? What benefits are you really seeing with its use? One can see how Citric acid is used to metabolize carbohydrates as part of the natural krebs cycle of course, but is the plant using this extra?
http://chemistry.about.com/od/biochemistry/ss/citricacidcycle.htm

Some thoughts on flushing from Silas..

Flushing additives containing EDTA (Final Phase etc..) or other chelation agents can also help breakdown and prevent salt buildup. But Warning, Adding significant EBDT to a root mass saturated with high ppms will break down trapped salts creating more ppms, as well as making the existing ppms far more absorbable, and it can KILL a plant. So always flush thoroughly with tap water (or very low strength nutes) first before using high levels of EDTA. (I will discuss this more in the the upcoming “Root Zone: article)

Also, it is a common misconception that a “final flush” (i.e. eliminating all nutrients for the last week or two) improves the “taste” of the final product by reducing “minerals” from the buds. The amount of “minerals” (technically they are colloidal elements) at any moment traveling in a plant regardless of the feeding levels is microscopic compared to the weight of the plant, and the vast majority of those miniscule levels are carried in the xylem (plant vascular system) found in the stems and leaves, NOT the flowers. So the only real, functional benefit of flushing is it reduces chlorophyll levels, i.e. it yellows out the plant, and this will improve the taste, reducing the need for curing because it is the green chlorophyll that causes the harsh taste often wrongly ascribed to “minerals.”

However, if you reduce the chlorophyll, you reduce the plants energy source and with it all aspect of growth including resin. Bottom line: flushing to the point of significant plant yellowing will improve taste, but it does it at the possible expense of resin and fragrance production, so you may be better served to flush only enough to prevent salts, and remove the chlorophyll later during the drying/curing process.
it acts as a chelator for built up salts to grab hold of and fush out of the medium
for this particular flushing agent
you run this through your medium until 80-90% runoff occurs....you then follow with pure h20 for the rest of the cycle
it is not intended as some type of prolonged cycle
it is merely used to break down and grab hold of the rest of the nutrient bank and release it from the medium so that when you run the h2o through it clears the medium of all salts

for hydro application you use it for 2 hours then dump your res and refill with pure water and run
changing out periodically until you reach an acceptable ec value of your desire

PDXLifted

PDXLifted

Wisher, eloquent and succinct as ever. Beautiful phrased. The main reason for the clearex was a hastened flush period for one of the citrus saps that ambered out much faster than the other plants. But you don't use clearex in back-to-back waterings (I did it twice in 7 days on one, and 3 times over 2 weeks with the citrus saps). The final smoke is incredibly smooth, even-burning (white ash), and retained all of the amazing tastes and smells associated with the terpene profile. I am biased about the quality of my bud, but everyone that's smoked it thus far has said the same thing. Clearex is awesome, though I have no experience sans-clearex to compare that to, hence the title of this posting series "first grow."

Rob, I'll shoot you a PM and we should definitely make that happen!

MamaBear, that's such an amazing compliment; thank you so much. Passion for cannabis is certainly not lacking over here, but its thanks to good folks like those here that allowed me to adequately research prior to ever trying!

Stay tuned, the second grow is deep in flower and the first full indoor cycle is underway!

Edit: as promised here is a shot of the bubble gum.

One love,

Pdx

Last edited:
Top Bottom