First indoor grow and my plants took terrible! Why?

• Thread starter GrandmaGanja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Hi,

This is my first indoor grow. I feel like my plants are a bit smaller than they should be after about a month, plus they look bad. Any idea why?

Specs:
Bruce Banner, Black Widows, and Skylwalker OG
600w LED light 2' above plants
Picture is just under a month after sprout
Using Coast of Maine Potting Soil
Foxfarm Trio of nutrients using their feeding schedule: https://www.thegrowshow.org/fox-farm-feeding-schedule
Watering from tap through a filtration system
I'm still waiting on a PH tester, bit of a delay
24 hour light cycle, shortly changing that to 18/6
Realized tent was too hot, at 81f, working on lowering temperature

The Bruce Banners were problematic seeds. They were in soil for a good 3.5 week and only one of them sprouted, he's a bit of a runt right now.

Thanks everyone!

First indoor grow and my plants took terrible why
First indoor grow and my plants took terrible why 2
First indoor grow and my plants took terrible why 3
First indoor grow and my plants took terrible why 4
GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Don’t have the ppm of my water. It’s city tap but run through a house filter.

never grown in that soil before. The picture was taken after a fresh watering, but I’ll check the watering. What is a good amount to water? Been watering until it comes out the bottom.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yep, too much water and probably too much food. They looked swamped.

Agree. You beat me to it. ;-)

Next time mix about 15-25% more large perlite in and break up the clumps in the soil real good before using for better drainage.

For now let the pots dry out real light. Be patient. And water only next time. Plants that size need only 15-25% of the fox farm directions.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hi,

This is my first indoor grow. I feel like my plants are a bit smaller than they should be after about a month, plus they look bad. Any idea why?

Specs:
Foxfarm Trio of nutrients using their feeding schedule: https://www.thegrowshow.org/fox-farm-feeding-schedule

The Bruce Banners were problematic seeds. They were in soil for a good 3.5 week and only one of them sprouted, he's a bit of a runt right now.

Thanks everyone!
That soil is far too rich for those tiny plants to be fed anything at all!

For an example if you filled a 7 gallon pot or larger with that same soil you wouldn't have to feed that plant for its entire grow & bloom cycle;

Agree with over-watering as well, and 81°f is not too hot, good luck!

Last edited:
ru knuts

ru knuts

Don’t have the ppm of my water. It’s city tap but run through a house filter.

never grown in that soil before. The picture was taken after a fresh watering, but I’ll check the watering. What is a good amount to water? Been watering until it comes out the bottom.
You are letting the city water sit overnight or 24 hours before using it right?

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
I will be letting the city water sit overnight to get rid of the pesky chlorine and going the next several weeks without any nutes at all.

Just let them do their thing brother, backing off is a good way to start. Sometimes people get freaked out and start making big changes to environment that will exasperate things. They don’t HAVE to be pumped with nutes to grow. Yours are probably growing in Spite of the nutes not because of them. Nature is a beautiful thing let her get to work for a bit. :)

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

What is a good amount to water? Been watering until it comes out the bottom.
Over-watering. Watering until you see run-off doesn't apply yet. Those plants will only need a couple tablespoons, maybe three, when they are as small as they are. I'd hold off on trying to water to run-off until they are bigger and have been transplanted to a larger pot size.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi,

Specs:

Thanks everyone!
Hi, welcome. Great Grand Pa here I hate those peat pots you started them in, I end up with mold problems on the pots themselves. I know some use them but I find solo cups better to start then transplant up when you need to. I don't find 81f too hot with good air flow I'm good up to about 83f before I take measures to cool it down some. I'm not sure if its been said but air flow air flow air flow. It will help dry out your pots and is good for strengthening the stalk, not too strong but a good steady light breeze. This is a pick of a Sweet Tooth seedling March 1st topped 30 times 14 " tall. She had a rough start but healthy now. I'm vegging under t5 & t8 florescent lights.

visajoe1

visajoe1

angry babies. overwatered,, but I doubt its "too hot", looks like a great soil actually. dont touch them for 3-5 days, let them dry out, then water with 6.5ph water. let the pots dry before watering.

ignore the chlorine evaporation garbage, its nonsense, unless you're using pool water.

what is humidity? it should be 65% at least if you're around 80 degrees in the tent

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

ignore the chlorine evaporation garbage, its nonsense, unless you're using pool water.
Yes, that discussion was a few weeks back. The verdict: Most municipal water sources use chloramine also, some studies have shown that tap water amounts of chlorine have very little if any negative effects on soil microbes. I learned something in that discussion ....

GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Look, they're coming back! Overfed and overwatered. Let them cool a bit and they've bounced back. Word is that they'll be ready to start flower soon? I'm concered about the couple of smaller ones.

Also, questions about transplanting out of doors. I intend to keep 2-3 in the tent and move the rest outside (hopefully it won't be snowing by then. No snow on Christmas, but snow on April 16?! wtf?? New England, btw.)
  • Can they be transplanted outdoors during flower?
  • What is the consensus on yield flowering indoor versus outdoors? Will I get more outdoors?
Thanks!

FC3874C2 1EB2 4D50 8A20 E1E89E0356FD
jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
Look, they're coming back! Overfed and overwatered. Let them cool a bit and they've bounced back. Word is that they'll be ready to start flower soon? I'm concered about the couple of smaller ones.

Also, questions about transplanting out of doors. I intend to keep 2-3 in the tent and move the rest outside (hopefully it won't be snowing by then. No snow on Christmas, but snow on April 16?! wtf?? New England, btw.)
  • What is the consensus on yield flowering indoor versus outdoors? Will I get more outdoors?
Thanks!

You can start to flower really anytime you want. As long as they are not autoflowering, a photoperiod change to 12/12 will induce flowering. Outdoor plants will flower when the weather starts to turn and the days get shorter.

I wouldn’t transplant anything in flower. Stress can cause a plant to herm. That’s just my opinion I’m sure it can be done.

I have seen some pretty impressive yields from outdoors, if the plants have the right conditions you can get much bigger yields outdoors but you could be looking at a pretty long turn around.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

Wow. That's a big turn around and MASSIVE growth in less than a week.

You must have two green thumbs!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Thanks!
They look way better! I love when things get turned around, nice job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom