First Indoor Grow!

• Thread starter Savysativa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Savysativa

Savysativa

Sooooo after having my first grow outdoors, I wanted to go indoors so I crossed a sativa dominant unknown strain with a blueberry kush male and ended up with a decent amount of seeds. I'm almost positive the sativa was an auto flower because when I tried to keep one around after flower, it died within 2 weeks.

I made a 4x2x4 grow box out of plywood, painted it gloss white on the inside, gave it a nice satin finish and some jazzy little door knobs... Nothing too fancy but it will get the job done.

My lighting is a 300w Mars hydro LED with 4 24w 24" fluorescent single tubes that I put on the walls for extra light. I plan on getting either more CFL or LED when it comes time to flower.

For air I have a 50 cfm bathroom exhaust fan with duct ran up midway, a cut out vent with a wall vent cover over it, and a 12" moving air inside the box.

My temp is currently 89F and to lower it I want to get a 4" inline exhaust fan toadd to the duct I currently have. That way I can also add a carbon filter along with it. I also plan on making the filter... But I'm procrastinating because there is no smell yet. I'm almost done with week 2.

Let me know what you think!

dmshayne

dmshayne

Sooooo after having my first grow outdoors, I wanted to go indoors so I crossed a sativa dominant unknown strain with a blueberry kush male and ended up with a decent amount of seeds. I'm almost positive the sativa was an auto flower because when I tried to keep one around after flower, it died within 2 weeks.

I made a 4x2x4 grow box out of plywood, painted it gloss white on the inside, gave it a nice satin finish and some jazzy little door knobs... Nothing too fancy but it will get the job done.

My lighting is a 300w Mars hydro LED with 4 24w 24" fluorescent single tubes that I put on the walls for extra light. I plan on getting either more CFL or LED when it comes time to flower.

For air I have a 50 cfm bathroom exhaust fan with duct ran up midway, a cut out vent with a wall vent cover over it, and a 12" moving air inside the box.

My temp is currently 89F and to lower it I want to get a 4" inline exhaust fan toadd to the duct I currently have. That way I can also add a carbon filter along with it. I also plan on making the filter... But I'm procrastinating because there is no smell yet. I'm almost done with week 2.

Let me know what you think!
Make sure to keep track of the humidity as well. Your environment is almost more important that lighting and nutrient lineup, keep that in mind. I personally would buy a thermo hygrometer to keep tabs on what's going on. (Be sure to put tape over any back-lit or light emitting objects in you grow room, except of course your grow light.)

Savysativa

Savysativa

Just ordered a cabinet exhaust fan and the 4" inline. Both are 100cfm so I'll be about 250cfm total, minus the resistance at the duct bends I should be about 225cfm so I think that should do it. I'll be getting the hygrometer from the pet store, as I have some reptiles and I know they make some pretty good humidity and temp combos. I live in a very humid state so humidity isn't too much of a problem here... Enough to make it difficult to flower outside, hence the reason for moving inside

I also hung my fan slightly above the light and that dropped my temp to about 85-85F.

Bannacis

Bannacis

I was going to suggest moving your exhaust as far to top as you can. that is where its hottest, faster you remove it from there the better, might get a couple more degrees lower.
Put your air circulating fan (always have a circulating fan) blowing across the top of your canopy.
A stationary fan can cause plants to get wind burn (not sure of technical phrase). plants need fresh air but not to have a steady blast.
The 300 watt mars light has about 145-150 watts true draw. but a good spectrum.
Good for a 2x4 and ur first indoor grow. with only 4 feet high, be aware of your plant doubling or trippling in size in flower.
Allow for space between light and chains holding it.
Depending on what strain your growing, but more than less it will smell. filters can be made, but to be sure of working 100% it would be advisable to purchase one, along with carbon and outer filter sleeve.
Pull your air through filter...if you push it, the smell will find a way out.
good luck

Bannacis

Bannacis

Thanks for the tips evryone, I'll be updating with some pics when things start to get more interesting... Until then I will sit and stare at the box out of pure obsession.

Change that obsession to love... give em names, talk to em sing to em...tease, flirt...put on groovy music, write little words around your grow like love, peace, share... I'm serious !!! thay can tell when your in bad mood or your in it for the money or that you are totally smitten...lol...committed..oooh....Pretty much what your better half should be treated like.
She is the Great Green Goddess...The Healer of life...The anointed oil...to put it to truth.
She will award you with hugs of nugs.

Savysativa

Savysativa

Change that obsession to love... give em names, talk to em sing to em...tease, flirt...put on groovy music, write little words around your grow like love, peace, share... I'm serious !!! thay can tell when your in bad mood or your in it for the money or that you are totally smitten...lol...committed..oooh....Pretty much what your better half should be treated like.
She is the Great Green Goddess...The Healer of life...The anointed oil...to put it to truth.
She will award you with hugs of nugs.

Pandora pretty much stays on in my house and my box is about 8ft from my sub, so they are always feeling good vibrations. And my goal is to produce some really good mood producing bud for vets. And of course some full on mid altering dank. I love the herb with the utmost respect. I've been gardening since I was a wee little lad, all I had to do was find some bagseed and 8yrs later I can finally do this shit! I'm not in it for money, I just love it.

dmshayne

dmshayne

Pandora pretty much stays on in my house and my box is about 8ft from my sub, so they are always feeling good vibrations. And my goal is to produce some really good mood producing bud for vets. And of course some full on mid altering dank. I love the herb with the utmost respect. I've been gardening since I was a wee little lad, all I had to do was find some bagseed and 8yrs later I can finally do this shit! I'm not in it for money, I just love it.
Same here, I actually only grow for personal use :)

Savysativa

Savysativa

So a lot has happened, one of my babies started showing signs of N deficiency but I had just fertilized and watered with some fish shit water the day before so I knew they weren't. So I was trolling through some other threads on here and found that it was probably my water being that it's hard from a well and ran through a softener which uses salt.... So I switched to distilled water and went ahead and watered even though the soil was wet, and my baby speaks to me again! But now my humidity is at 35% which is low but I'm at a steady 85F. I'm still waiting on my fan so we'll see what that does... But any ideas for the humidity? I already have a bowl of water.... But I need more

And there are little flying black fuck bugs that just run around fucking and flying. Never seen them on the plants but they are in the soil, which is where I'm guessing they came from. I'm leaning towards a hanging sticky bug trap but I'm open to suggestions...

Savysativa

Savysativa

1459290025665 1722669033

Savysativa

Savysativa

Top left on the second pic was the one that went a little crazy

Bakataha

Bakataha

@Bannacis has the right idea! My plants are always rocking out to The Beegies, The Doobie Brothers, America, Weezer. You name it:smoking:

Bakataha

Bakataha

I think I know which bugs you're having a problem with, and I may be, too! It's those damn black flying fungus gnats. They have two clear wings, and they're kind of black and whitish on the body?

Savysativa

Savysativa

I think I know which bugs you're having a problem with, and I may be, too! It's those damn black flying fungus gnats. They have two clear wings, and they're kind of black and whitish on the body?

Sounds the same except these don't have a white body. The diatomacious earth works, but water makes it inactive so you have to wait and reapply after you water.

Bannacis

Bannacis

The little black suckers are the gnats, usually if there's damp medium. ( some bagged soil will have these).
water from bottom for a while, check for any excess water and try to dry it out. sticky traps...
Some gnats have small white stripes, google (image) of... Fungus Gnats, Thrips, Spider Mites, Aphids, Leaf miners, Whiteflies, mealy bugs.

Savysativa

Savysativa

The little black suckers are the gnats, usually if there's damp medium. ( some bagged soil will have these).
water from bottom for a while, check for any excess water and try to dry it out. sticky traps...
Some gnats have small white stripes, google (image) of... Fungus Gnats, Thrips, Spider Mites, Aphids, Leaf miners, Whiteflies, mealy bugs.

So when you say water from the bottom, you mean setting the pots in... Say 2" of water and letting the soil absorb it? And I had a problem with leaf miners on my plant I had outdoors, hence the reason for moving inside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom