First lesson has been learned

• Thread starter Matour420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Matour420

Matour420

Good day guys, can I defoliate some? I shouldn't plant 3 didn't know that they gonna grow so fast and take space lol. First time growing for me so lesson has been learned. I am not sure if there enough space when they start flowering? first week of flowering at the moment. Thanks

First lesson has been learned
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Good day guys, can I defoliate some? I shouldn't plant 3 didn't know that they gonna grow so fast and take space lol. First time growing for me so lesson has been learned. I am not sure if there enough space when they start flowering? first week of flowering at the moment. Thanks
Yes it a tad tight but a small a out of pruning I thing you will be fine and you need to get your pots up off the floor of tent rest a air gap under them they will drain better and be warmer in the root area .

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
Yes it a tad tight but a small a out of pruning I thing you will be fine and you need to get your pots up off the floor of tent rest a air gap under them they will drain better and be warmer in the root area .
@One drop The last time you posted this recommendation on someones thread, I spent the next 2 days getting my closet floor rearranged.. Spot on though, what a difference.

@Matour420 I defoliate lightly at the beginning of my flower period and has made the canopy alot more manageable. I look for the reaching fan leaves that cover the undergrowth, and try and leave the new stuff alone.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
If you are going to defoliate to improve the overall light penetration, my recommendations are to remove only the leaves, or sometimes just a lobe or two, that are covering growing points tht they are shading. By maximizing the growth points that are getting direct light you will be maximizing your yield later down the road. By taking only the minimum amount of leaves off to do this you will allow the plant to continue to use the other leaves to generate energy without cutting back too much of the energy they are making. A wholesale defoliation will remove most leaves and the plant has no way to generate the energy and photosynthesis it needs. It's a balancing act between too much leaf removal and promoting growth and growing points (the term I use for the end of stems and branches where the new growth occurs). During flowering, the difference will be more apparent as buds grow in direct proportion to the direct light they get. The larger growth points from vegging turn into more and larger bud sites during flowering, and the more light the bud gets, the bigger it gets. This is the ultimate goal that you should keep in mind. Don't overdo it and you will be fine. Even if you overdo it, the plant might stall a little but shouldn't be hurt unless it is very extensive.

Matour420

Matour420

If you are going to defoliate to improve the overall light penetration, my recommendations are to remove only the leaves, or sometimes just a lobe or two, that are covering growing points tht they are shading. By maximizing the growth points that are getting direct light you will be maximizing your yield later down the road. By taking only the minimum amount of leaves off to do this you will allow the plant to continue to use the other leaves to generate energy without cutting back too much of the energy they are making. A wholesale defoliation will remove most leaves and the plant has no way to generate the energy and photosynthesis it needs. It's a balancing act between too much leaf removal and promoting growth and growing points (the term I use for the end of stems and branches where the new growth occurs). During flowering, the difference will be more apparent as buds grow in direct proportion to the direct light they get. The larger growth points from vegging turn into more and larger bud sites during flowering, and the more light the bud gets, the bigger it gets. This is the ultimate goal that you should keep in mind. Don't overdo it and you will be fine. Even if you overdo it, the plant might stall a little but shouldn't be hurt unless it is very extensive.
Thank you for your response, so the last time I did defoliation was 10 days ago, tomorrow I will complete my first week of flowering, I have watched videos as well about lollipoping, so I am waiting for week 2 to do it, what do you think

Madbud

Madbud

Thank you for your response, so the last time I did defoliation was 10 days ago, tomorrow I will complete my first week of flowering, I have watched videos as well about lollipoping, so I am waiting for week 2 to do it, what do you think
Nice looking plants, what kind of light?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
@One drop The last time you posted this recommendation on someones thread, I spent the next 2 days getting my closet floor rearranged.. Spot on though, what a difference.

@Matour420 I defoliate lightly at the beginning of my flower period and has made the canopy alot more manageable. I look for the reaching fan leaves that cover the undergrowth, and try and leave the new stuff alone.
Glad it helped first rule I learnt when I started as a Horticulturist at Hobart Botanical Garden I worked in the Nursery as my mentor was always telling me that it dose work I’ve seen it help the worst looking plants in my time .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
You can only give it a try , each grow you get under your belt is knowledge you store away you see something deferent in every grow . Good luck regards OD

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
You just elevate the plants by putting something under?
I use a polystyrene blocks about 10 cm set out on floor of tent and put a wire rack over top set out plants on the rack job done air gap sorted .

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I only ever defoliate for air flow. That's why for some people it's needed and others not. Obviously we want to keep as much as possible but if your don't have good airflow it's far more detrimental.

@One drop makes a great suggestion getting those plants off the floor.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
T
I only ever defoliate for air flow. That's why for some people it's needed and others not. Obviously we want to keep as much as possible but if your don't have good airflow it's far more detrimental.

@One drop makes a great suggestion getting those plants off the floor.
Thanks Aqua Man it’s the simplest way to get better results in any type of container growing .

Moshmen

Moshmen

You just elevate the plants by putting something under?
It’s to keep them off the cold floor mostly but air flow also helps keep the root zone temp consistent and in ck, I have ceramic tile I have the whole tent lifted off the floor about 4”
Then propping plants up to even out the canopy also helps

RickkiTX

RickkiTX

Put them into flower then 2-3 weeks in defoliate the lower branches small space but you should be fine as long as it doesnt get to hot in there.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
How do you remove runoff?
I normally move the pots back to rear of tent and use super soaker mop that had a amazing sucking ability into the bucket test it then replace the plants pack I’m just working on a idea to set slim tote tray under to collect it this pic I must admit I gave them a good drink they had been transplanted from the bush crop remnant .

Latest posts

Top Bottom