First Pro Mix run, need info please?!

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

why use perlite at all? so many other options,little peat gravel works like a charm,like mimed grower said does fine by itself,if you go to over watering it,also plan for the stuff to turn to mush after a while,if you stay on cue,no problems,to be safe add some thing,if perlite is dead set about 20%,i dont like it and the crap always floats to the top and turns green,not very appealing to me,you are creating air pockets with adding stuff the perlite just doesnt do it for me,i reuse all that i grow in,perlite like chalk after a harvest grow imo,so peat gravel or vermiculite,wood chips cut real fine is my choice,in my ground bed i go buy a yrd of kiddie playground wood chips,outstanding amend and only needs every other year to add into it,it holds nutrients and provide air for loomy soil and stay moist longer,perlite is just useless turns to chalk doesnt hold on to nothing,i also cut my plants at base of soil and leave the network of roots in the pots for better drainage and a super hiway for new roots to work threw and it builds organic matter were its needed most in the bottom of pot ,might think about this also,pro mix it aint going to happen unless you recharge it,it does get mushy,it does turn to soil though if you treat it right and dont water it much,no dry ,not wet,moist,i never let soil dry never,pro mix ,compost,peat moss,rehydrating it is almost impossible and if you get to that point,by the time you do rehydrate it,all minerals of your amends and biloigy is gone ,flushed right from the pot imo,just a tip add some azomite to the pro mix and langbnitie all your minerals for the bloom side are all tight there,but hey my opinion dont mean shit cause im lazy and have 2 more gardens to tend to,so less work is the best work hahaahh,im surprised the ole @Jimster havent come around what wrong wit that old gezzer,dude has the promix down to a art

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

View attachment 892512

This is the only kind available to me

my question is:

Approximately what percent of the makeup of a pro mix mixture would you recommend be perlite? (eg . 20%, 25%, 33% Etc.)

I only know pro mix hp and i think it has 30% or 35% perlite in it. They cut the perlite with vermiculite to hold more water in the BX bale.

I have not seen the stuff you have. I learned in the Jorje grow bible that the soil should conpact in your hand when making a fist and when you open your hand and poke the clump it should break and fall right apart. I have been mixing to this since the beginning. Pro mix hp needed no help. Ocean forest needed 25% added to flow like that.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I only know pro mix hp and i think it has 30% or 35% perlite in it. They cut the perlite with vermiculite to hold more water in the BX bale.

I have not seen the stuff you have. I learned in the Jorje grow bible that the soil should conpact in your hand when making a fist and when you open your hand and poke the clump it should break and fall right apart. I have been mixing to this since the beginning. Pro mix hp needed no help. Ocean forest needed 25% added to flow like that.
Exactly what I wanted to know thanks! yes I add 25% to my ffof but I will add 30% to the pro mix, there's some in it but not much

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Unadultered Promix on it's own is pretty much all I use. Ask me anything. To your question of whether to treat it like soil or coco, Water it like soil watered every 3-4 days or as it dries up.
But feed it regularly like coco with occasional water only feeds to clear excess nutrients. Promix does have a CEC so it stores nutrients and can feed a plant fed just water for a couple weeks. I've found feeds between 1-1.3 ec ph'd to 6.1-6.3 give me the best results. Some strains will eat more though up to 1.4-1.5ec during stretch. And I'm a big fan of feed feed water cycles in promix.

I'll further what Mimed pointed out though, promix is a better grade of peat and has a quality agricultural surfactant added to it. Regular peat does not perform nearly the same. You cant really even make your own promix for much less than you can buy it for honestly.
So going by your pH recommendations I'll started at 6.2, I have no idea what those EC values are but I'll look it up, I was thinking to start my veg plants around 400 PPM on the 500 scale, usually I feed them at 250 - 3 3 3 ppm

This is a little Romberry in pro mix +30% perlite
20190902 140542

I really liked working with pro mix and if it works out I think I'm going to switch over to it ?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So going by your pH recommendations I'll started at 6.2, I have no idea what those EC values are but I'll look it up, I was thinking to start my veg plants around 400 PPM on the 500 scale, usually I feed them at 250 - 3 3 3 ppm

This is a little Romberry in pro mix +30% perlite
View attachment 892888

I really liked working with pro mix and if it works out I think I'm going to switch over to it ?

1-1.3 ec is 500-650ish ppm on he 500 scale.
I'll sometimes push 750ppm during the stretch. Never over 800 though.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

1-1.3 ec is 500-650ish ppm on he 500 scale.
I'll sometimes push 750ppm during the stretch. Never over 800 though.
Thanks got it! 750 is about where I Max in soil so I'll see how the girl does in peat, and make my adjustment going forward. Thanks to both you guys, now I have a pretty good idea!

What???

1.0 ec is 500 ppm. Thats what .5 conversion is.
Lol! (No metric for me my friend) hey I got your promix link from the other site and copied it today, it's different from the one I already had, thanks

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I do have one more question:

I added 2 level tablespoons of dolomite to 3 gallons of Promix and I'm not sure if I should have done that or not?

I haven't done a slurry test yet but I know that fresh promix is supposed to be 6.2 out of the bag so I'm wondering if the dolomite could cause an issue?
-thanks

Ps. Thanks for that link!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hard to say, but yeah you absolutely dont need to/shouldnt add lime to promix.
Could always do a slurry test to see where it's at, but it's not like you can take it out now anyways so you're gonna have to run with it. Next time dont do that lol.
Thanks for the info, I'll do a slurry test in the morning and if it's too high I'll replant it in new promix 👍

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've been using Promix for 30 years or more with great results and zero problems, except those of my own creation. The Promix HP is impossible to overwater while all of their BX mixes are great but not quite as water shedding. I haven't used the general purpose soil as it is pre-loaded with nutrients and has a different base it seems. I usually mix about 15-20% composted manure and wood ashes for a base amount of micro nutrients, since Promix is pretty sparse by itself.

Fangthane

Fangthane

ocean Forest is up around thirty bucks now on Amazon, it went up two bucks since I bought a bag last week!!!
Being a broke-ass bargain hunter and having entirely too much free time on my hands, I've found that every few days or so there are sellers who suddenly drop their price to a bag for it. It'll be cheap for a few days, then go back up to +. Couple days after that, someone else will have it cheap. It's some odd cycle. Right now, here's one who has it on sale: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C9QKCO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Just an FYI, in case you're not eager to abandon it completely.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks for the info, I'll do a slurry test in the morning and if it's too high I'll replant it in new promix 👍
Did a slurry. Ppm=225/6.3 so not bad! Going forward I'll keep an eye on it to make sure she doesn't try to rise; thanks again for the help gentleman I appreciate it!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Being a broke-ass bargain hunter and having entirely too much free time on my hands, I've found that every few days or so there are sellers who suddenly drop their price to a bag for it. It'll be cheap for a few days, then go back up to +. Couple days after that, someone else will have it cheap. It's some odd cycle. Right now, here's one who has it on sale: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C9QKCO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Just an FYI, in case you're not eager to abandon it completely.
I've seen that with a lot of products; right now a 30 lb bag of earthworm castings is $3 less than a 15 pound bag from the same company or at least it was last time I checked, I saw the price drop from 31 or $32 down to $18, and then I bought it at $18, doesn't make ?sense?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Did a slurry. Ppm=225/6.3 so not bad! Going forward I'll keep an eye on it to make sure she doesn't try to rise; thanks again for the help gentleman I appreciate it!
If you are measuring the Ph of Promix BX or HP, the buffering will often pull the Ph up slightly up to almost 7, which isn't a problem. Nutrients are often acidic and will initially make the medium acidic until the buffering restores it to the mid 6s to 7. I have never had Ph problems with it.

Fangthane

Fangthane

I've seen that with a lot of products; right now a 30 lb bag of earthworm castings is $3 less than a 15 pound bag from the same company or at least it was last time I checked, I saw the price drop from 31 or $32 down to $18, and then I bought it at $18, doesn't make ?sense?
Hah! I just put that very same 30# bag of castings into my cart this morning. Gonna give "worm tea" a try when I get around to ordering it.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Busy this morning but this is what I was referring to above, try figuring this one out??? LOL
Screenshot 20190903 161933 Chrome

Top Bottom