First swing at a real grow

• Thread starter thebranchman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thebranchman

Hello yall, this is my first post. I'm surprised about the progress of some autos I have, some are good and some are bad. I got these seeds from someone at a farmers market called frostberry aka sour patrick auto, the parent genetics are ((stiches stardust x seedman strawberry cheesecake) x sour star). They're unstable crosses that are kinda fun to play with. I'm really new though so I can't read the plants very well. I'm trying to follow a good vpd, keep the rest of the environment in check. The system im running is a 6 plant site, seven 5 gallon bucket system. I'm doing 24/7 on light, 6 hlg 288 rspec quantum boards. Draw is like 400w peak and they put out a killer amount of light. I have a propane heater, with the pilot light on and set to around 76 to keep temps up. Unknown amount of co2. Stand up Dehumidifier and Ac. Nutrients, masterblend 0-12-24 and calnit, plus gh rapid root and hydroguard at a too high 1400ppm @ 500. I liked it closer to 1200 but i overshot by accident. Looking to add more organic biostims, aa's, etc in the future. I killed 2 boys out of the 6 I popped so there's only 4 plants flowering, one is definitely a cheesecake pheno and the other three are probably more stardust. I'm looking for a bit of input on how the plants are doing, I know they've got some burn but looking to see if it's more nute or light and also some discoloration I couldn't exactly find another example of online.

First swing at a real grow
First swing at a real grow 2
T

thebranchman

This is the unique discoloration I haven't been able to quite find another example of. One looks like burn pretty much but I can't tell if the other is genetic or nutritional or light.

T

thebranchman

Don't know how you attached photos but I can't see them. Any particular reason you're doing 24 hours of light? It causes undue stress, especially if everything else isn't perfectly dialed in.
I took the photos with the thcfarmer app, I can see them in my profile but not here. Im doing the 24 hours of light to have more light, I've talked to some people about it. The people who've grown autos tend to say it's fine, the grow show workers and people who grow photos tend to tell me it's a waste of power and itll burn plants. One person even told me it would kill them and they'd never grow.. one of them is looking like a qp plant.. They were gorgeous until the first week of flower so I'm definitely sticking with 24 of light, during veg at least.

T

thebranchman

I'm trying to upload the photos again here? The lights were still on all the way so it's a bit over exposed but it's easy to see the discoloration.
1329051 b67c94750d19a958efb3d8bd9a08e102

1329050 68e35ce232d332e1890f189238fbb144
1329048 4068a5f21e814c542049ce7c5aa2d22f
1329049 5c0a3b9a4ed5725cd438d4066e72ba0f
T

thebranchman

I'll raise the lights definitely but the nutes are pretty high at around 1300ppm right now

T

thebranchman

It’s an auto way to much lite! 1300 is pretty high for an auto looks locked out to me - if ya stay with 24 hrs you’ll be sorry 😞
Definitely sticking with 24 hours they've been alive and well since March 7th with 24/7 of light. The lockout yeah that's pretty generic, thank you for the advice but I'm not looking for advice on that. The reason the look like they have a mag deficiency on old growth is because I let it drop to 4 for like 10 hours after forgetting to measure after I filled one night. I let my ph swing from 5.5 to 6.0 to get in the ideal range for most nutes usually. Stress, yes, that's from the light and high level of nutes. What I'm asking about is the pigment change on one of the pictures of the leaf. The rest of the pictures are burns but one is pigment change. I'm wondering about that kind of discoloration specifically.

T

thebranchman

If ya stay with 24 hrs you’ll be sorry 😞
Also, pet peeve of mine, this kinda thing sounds dumb. I know people irl who run some of their auto genetics with 24/7 light, and produce consistently good product. I could rant about that for a bit but I'll just post the plant when I'm harvesting in a few weeks and let the rewards speak for themselves.

Eledin

Eledin

Sometimes the purple color can come with light exposure or too much UV. I would def not stick to 24h, yes they can survive no they cant thrive. Even if its from Alaska, they all benefit from a dark period because they need to transpire and other processes that come in dark periods. Do as you wish but I would consider it twice if everyone is telling you not to go 24h, of course for those you should keep the 24h but going on the next grow I would do 20-4. I have grown quite a few autos myself and Ive tried the 24h light period, they dont like it a lot, debatable even if you can harvest sooner, maybe with some strains like the Alaskan ones but still not what they would prefeer.
EDIT: I say Alaska because those strains are the ones that do best with 24h of light since it happens in Alaska during some time of the year the sun never goes away but even then the light is much dimmer than during the day and they use that dimmer time to transpire, even if slower.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Here's one sativa that came from a leggy seedling that I couldnt keep away from the light cause it was too tall

Had another amnesia like that one in the same grow that didnt have those colors because it wasnt nearly that tall and close to the light. Genetics also play a role, some are more prone to show purple.

T

thebranchman

Maybe I'd try less than 24 if they looked bad but I think this looks great for an auto. I'd definitely try it if I had more space but I only have room for one grow right now. The Alaskan thing is interesting but I don't think it has much to do with genetics that have been indoors for generations on generations of plants, these aren't photoperiods or photo-autos, the genetic has been selected at the seed many more times than regular photos and especially clone-only plants. These would display stronger autoflower traits than plants that would be 10-20 generations ago, which is is as little as 5 years because they can be grown in a quarter of a year. The last 10 years of advancement has done alot for a true quality autoflower genetic. lack of research and also misinformation, along with new science coming out is making things change. While it's not perfect for every strain I think 24/7 of light will be common place for commercial operations using autos within just a decade or two.

Eledin

Eledin

Im still not convinced, just the smell of opening the tent right when the lights go on is enough proof for me that they have been regenerating terpenes during the dark period. They get evaporated with light and they replenish them in darkness. Ill wait until more conclusives results come out, for now Ill stick with what seemed to work best for me and of course you should do what you think works best for you too! Im not claiming Im right.

T

thebranchman

Here's one sativa that came from a leggy seedling that I couldnt keep away from the light cause it was too tall
View attachment 1965549
Had another amnesia like that one in the same grow that didnt have those colors because it wasnt nearly that tall and close to the light. Genetics also play a role, some are more prone to show purple.
That looks waayyy more discolored than the one leaf that I've got so far.. did it start to show up kindof spotty? Also if you remember what the growing medium, nutrients, and kind of lights you were using about? I'm doing recirculating hydro.

Top Bottom