First swing at a real grow

• Thread starter thebranchman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Yeah definitely but my goal for this grow is high as possible DLI, I'd rather turn my lights down a bit and lift them than turn them off. They were only 16 inches from the canopy at full intensity until last week. I turned the intensity down mayne 20% a week ago, and lifted the lights up to 20-21 inches today. The purpling is what I'm more interested in for sure.
Well, your light is the main driver of plant metabolism. The higher you increase your light, means you need to have your nutrition needs dialed in to not see deficiencies.

Stole that from @Shaded_One in one of my recent posts.

T

thebranchman

Well, your light is the main driver of plant metabolism. The higher you increase your light, means you need to have your nutrition needs dialed in to not see deficiencies.

Stole that from @Shaded_One in one of my recent posts.
Yeah people keep saying deficiency without telling me what element or groups so I don't think I'm deficient in anything at the moment, the rest of my plant looks healthy besides the discoloration on that single leaf. Running masterblend 0-12-24 and cal nit at a 4:1 ratio, was using it at a 3:1 until three days ago. This plant is just about 60 days old.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Yeah people keep saying deficiency without telling me what element or groups so I don't think I'm deficient in anything at the moment, the rest of my plant looks healthy besides the discoloration on that single leaf. Running masterblend 0-12-24 and cal nit at a 4:1 ratio, was using it at a 3:1 until three days ago. This plant is just about 60 days old.
Sounds like you got it figured out. Dont know why ya came here asking for help.

You're deficient because your light is too much.

But im not gonnna get in a pissing match with ya because you have an answer to every problem so 👍🏻✌🏼

Moshmen

Moshmen

Sounds like you got it covered ! Ask ur buddy’s who grow under 24/7 good luck man I’m out .

Moshmen

Moshmen

Sorry I left that part out, it was 50% peat 50% coco grown under one led growing buld 75W (4000k) and and flowering growing bulb 75W (pink 2100k). I didnt have enough money so I used one of both, for me white is very much needed as only blue and red lack the green spectrum that has been proven to be beneficial for plants, its also the spectrum that penetrates better to the lower part of the plant. And no, plants dont reflect all green light, only 5 to 10% of it, but since its more than the other colors they look green. Green lights for dark periods work because they have very little lumens even tho I wouldnt use one. The smoke from that one was equally good to the other one, except for the main top bud which was way too close to the light and lost flavor.
Not a good mix use one or the other

T

thebranchman

Stole that from @Shaded_One in one of my

Sounds like you got it figured out. Dont know why ya came here asking for help.

You're deficient because your light is too much.

But im not gonnna get in a pissing match with ya because you have an answer to every problem so 👍🏻✌🏼
Pissing match? You just can't tell me what it's deficient in every time I ask.. it's not really a pissing match when I'm asking you a question and you just don't answer. I'm not telling anyone it's not a deficiency, but I think it's more to do with light than the nutrients. If you think otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't say what the problem is, unless you just don't know and you're guessing it's a deficiency. Which would be fine. I don't need you to tell me it doesn't look exemplary though, that's why I'm here.
Sounds like you got it covered ! Ask ur buddy’s who grow under 24/7 good luck man I’m out .
I don't have a close friend doing what I do, no. But I am in the field in multiple states. I've had conversations with alot of people, home growers, medical caregivers, rec and med stores. Alot say 24 isn't possible and there's some who say it is.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Pissing match? You just can't tell me what it's deficient in every time I ask.. it's not really a pissing match when I'm asking you a question and you just don't answer. I'm not telling anyone it's not a deficiency, but I think it's more to do with light than the nutrients. If you think otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't say what the problem is, unless you just don't know and you're guessing it's a deficiency. Which would be fine. I don't need you to tell me it doesn't look exemplary though, that's why I'm here.
This bottom photos is screaming light stress. Look at how the top leaves are praying and crispy, plants need a certain DLI and if the DLI is to high,(which i can guarantee it is at 24/7) they burn. Also the purpling is saying lockout to me, but im not that great at diagnosis.

I bet if you tried 18/6, even 20/4 youd notice a change.
There. I quoted myself.

If you actually read the entire post, i said im not that great at diagnosis....

You are deficient in SOMETHING but you wont get off the 24 hr bandwagon like everyone has suggested, you just come back with excuses as to why it works and why you wont change, therefore no one will help you, and your plant will only get worse.

Your attitude is not generally the attitude of someone looking for help....

Usually they take the advice given. Ive run plenty of autos and plenty of plants under 24 hours to know it hurts the plants and your electric bill...

Autos were really bred to be grown in places that don't get 12 hours of darkness, but still have darkness. A dark period is needed imo for plants to recover from being blasted with high intensities all day.

TSD

TSD

Autos were really bred to be grown in places that don't get 12 hours of darkness, but still have darkness. A dark period is needed imo for plants to recover from being blasted with high intensities all day.
Right, and even in places like say, Alaska that get the midnight sun, it's like a twilight for the night, I don't think 24 hours of high intensity grow lights at close range is the same thing lol. I never understood people that do 24 hours, just purely based on how they rest at night, which I'm sure most of us have observed... they know lights off is coming, they relax, they know lights on is coming they perk up... so without any scientific data whatsoever, I would still say they enjoy and need a rest period like any living thing. I think 24 hours is meant for commercial grows that are dialed in precisely and the sole purpose is fast turnover and maximum yield... I personally don't see the benefit for a home grower growing a crop for themselves that they want to be top quality under 24... it's just adding extra stress and costing more electricity... just my two cents, to each thier own...
but op, yeah, light stress is definitely happening on those plants, how you resolve that is up to you. I would personally go to 20/4 at least and raise or dim it so they can chill and see if you notice improvement. 🤷‍♀️

T

thebranchman

There. I quoted myself.

You are deficient in SOMETHING but you wont get off the 24 hr bandwagon like everyone has suggested, you just come back with excuses as to why it works and why you wont change, therefore no one will help you, and your plant will only get worse.

Usually they take the advice given. Ive run plenty of autos and plenty of plants under 24 hours to know it hurts the plants and your electric bill...

Have you ever grown hydro?
There. I quoted myself.

Before answering anything else have any of yall grown hydro before? I've looked through all your profiles and it seems you are all in soil... so that advice really means next to nothing for me. Our mediums are completely different and so is the uptake of nutrients, and the nutes themselves. It would be very hard as a grower whos only had experience in soil to tell me anything about what im doing in pure hydroponics. That's something I would certainly never do. I can't give advice to a soil grower because I haven't yet. Yeah my attitude isn't of someone looking for help I asked about discoloration on a leaf and most people are telling me to change something I've stated I have no intent in changing for this grow, until this first plant is done. And they're telling me to change environmental factors without addressing the rest of my environment. That's not a very indepth way of thinking. And like I said before I believe these plants can be bred and adapted to like hydro or soil more than one or a other. So yeah when people are telling me change x without taking the rest of the alphabet into the equation, let alone y or z, then I kinda discount that advice as opinion or observations. If yall have never grown hydro or hydro under high output horticulture LEDs then I don't see why you're even commenting on this thread. I appreciate the time and energy but it literally doesn't make sense, we are using different tools so your advice does nothing for me. This is why I made a decently long introduction to this thread saying I'm using a specific kind of medium with a specific kind of light.

T

thebranchman

Right, and even in places like say, Alaska that get the midnight sun, it's like a twilight for the night, I don't think 24 hours of high intensity grow lights at close range is the same thing lol. I never understood people that do 24 hours, just purely based on how they rest at night, which I'm sure most of us have observed... they know lights off is coming, they relax, they know lights on is coming they perk up... so without any scientific data whatsoever, I would still say they enjoy and need a rest period like any living thing. I think 24 hours is meant for commercial grows that are dialed in precisely and the sole purpose is fast turnover and maximum yield... I personally don't see the benefit for a home grower growing a crop for themselves that they want to be top quality under 24... it's just adding extra stress and costing more electricity... just my two cents, to each thier own...
but op, yeah, light stress is definitely happening on those plants, how you resolve that is up to you. I would personally go to 20/4 at least and raise or dim it so they can chill and see if you notice improvement. 🤷‍♀️
I see where you're coming from but I believe the plants adapt to the environment they're in. If the last 20 generations have had 24/7 of light we could maybe see better performance from 24/7 than a cycle due to some adaptation to where they are in. Especially in autoflowers bred in those conditions because they need to be started from seed. The electricity costs me 100 dollars for 3 months of being on 24/7 for my entire room before ac and dehumidifier which are both around 100 each for yearly operation. I did raise the lights 4-5 inches all around yesterday and it is a bit perkier I think. Still no one has any idea about the discoloration though.. everyone has a comment about my lights, and the obvious burns, but not on the discoloration.. I'm sure there would be more comments if I kept showing around the grow. I don't have the space right now to experiment like that, if I could clone this bitch and put it in another room with 20 or 18 I would, but I don't have another room, so I'm doing what I wanna do and that is 24 hours of light until the first plant gets chopped then I'll maybe play with the cycle on the last 3 for a couple weeks. Maybe next grow I won't do 24, I dunno yet.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Have you ever grown hydro?

Before answering anything else have any of yall grown hydro before? I've looked through all your profiles and it seems you are all in soil... so that advice really means next to nothing for me. Our mediums are completely different and so is the uptake of nutrients, and the nutes themselves. It would be very hard as a grower whos only had experience in soil to tell me anything about what im doing in pure hydroponics. That's something I would certainly never do. I can't give advice to a soil grower because I haven't yet. Yeah my attitude isn't of someone looking for help I asked about discoloration on a leaf and most people are telling me to change something I've stated I have no intent in changing for this grow, until this first plant is done. And they're telling me to change environmental factors without addressing the rest of my environment. That's not a very indepth way of thinking. And like I said before I believe these plants can be bred and adapted to like hydro or soil more than one or a other. So yeah when people are telling me change x without taking the rest of the alphabet into the equation, let alone y or z, then I kinda discount that advice as opinion or observations. If yall have never grown hydro or hydro under high output horticulture LEDs then I don't see why you're even commenting on this thread. I appreciate the time and energy but it literally doesn't make sense, we are using different tools so your advice does nothing for me. This is why I made a decently long introduction to this thread saying I'm using a specific kind of medium with a specific kind of light.
I didnt tell you anything about your medium did i?
I believe i said you have a deficiency of some kind, and 24 hr light is only hurting your plant and wallet. So step back down off your high horse pal.

Your plant is legit suffering because of your light but do what ya think is right. Everyone here is telling you to get off the 24/7 schedule but you wont listen so why would you listen to anything else either?

Jeez, people these days 🤷🏻

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

If I understand things right you are experimenting for/on your first grow?

They are autos and you’re mucking with the light intensity and duration.

You have a discoloured leaf, the one(s) with purple coming in. And you want to know what’s causing that.

I assume you’re trying to do this;
E737408E 708E 416D 85A7 FBCBACC7CA3F

That about right or did I misunderstand the post?

T

thebranchman

I didnt tell you anything about your medium did i?
I believe i said you have a deficiency of some kind, and 24 hr light is only hurting your plant and wallet. So step back down off your high horse pal.

Your plant is legit suffering because of your light but do what ya think is right. Everyone here is telling you to get off the 24/7 schedule but you wont listen so why would you listen to anything else either?

Jeez, people these days 🤷🏻
Bad mindset to have, if you don't take the medium into account how can you accurately give someone advice? I don't think you can

T

thebranchman

If I understand things right you are experimenting for/on your first grow?

They are autos and you’re mucking with the light intensity and duration.

You have a discoloured leaf, the one(s) with purple coming in. And you want to know what’s causing that.

I assume you’re trying to do this;
View attachment 1976375

That about right or did I misunderstand the post?
This isn't my first grow but it's one of my first that I'll be smoking. I've grown a bunch of plants in different conditions just to see what would happen. One of my experiments was growing an auto in just tap water and some more in slightly different levels of certain bottled nutes to see what would happen. Sorry but I don't know exactly what you mean by trying to do this? I'm not trying exactly to do anything I'm just playing with these plants and there's odd stuff happening on that one leaf.

T

thebranchman

the discolouration could be one or all 3, nitrogen, phosphorus and calcium deficiency..
Maybe nitrogen I did raise my nitrogen a bit in total ppm this week.. calcium, potentially I was reading some other threads about that. I've wanted to add some amino acids and bio stims that should help with calcium uptake I just haven't had the opportunity to get then yet. Phosphorus, no idea really I haven't looked into that one yet.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Bad mindset to have, if you don't take the medium into account how can you accurately give someone advice? I don't think you can
Its basic knowledge, when a deficiency shows up you should raise your light and lower the intensity to help with the recovery of the plant.
I know nothing about hydro, but imo most of your issues start with light intensity and 24 hour lighting.

I already explained to you that light is the main driver of plant metabolism, when you increase the light intensity, nutrition needs to be on point or deficiencies show up.

You completely ignored that, you dont wanna switch to 20/4 or 18/6, so you prolly wouldnt listen even if someome did tell you word for word what was wrong. Idk what else to tell you.
Im not good ad diagnosis so i cant help there but the first thing you need to do is change to 20/4 or 18/6 and let that plant recover!!

Either way this isnt going anywhere until you change light hours and lower intensity

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Maybe nitrogen I did raise my nitrogen a bit in total ppm this week.. calcium, potentially I was reading some other threads about that. I've wanted to add some amino acids and bio stims that should help with calcium uptake I just haven't had the opportunity to get then yet. Phosphorus, no idea really I haven't looked into that one yet.
Cool. Just saw the pile of confusion.

I didn’t think you were asking for help, just asking a question. But the posts started taking a bad turn.

Others here do that, including me. I like to try things like using 6/2 light cycle. The pic I posted was one of my first tent grows. It went so dark it was black. Never seen a plant that purple. Some of the leaves still have the reddish yellow colour.

Most of these things are deficiencies of course. I was reading that light stress isn’t really what most of us think it is. When things are dialed in you should be able to turn it up without stressing.

I’m hoping to get back to that myself. Best of luck.

Top Bottom