First time grandaddy purple. ready for harvest or not ?

• Thread starter monkey47
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

monkey47

Shows signs of severe light stress. Notice all the bleaching of all your tops. I'm running GDP right now and it thrives at 650 ppfd. Back down on your intensity.
i was under the impression that thats normal at the last stages of flowering.

Sunasun

Sunasun

i was under the impression that thats normal at the last stages of flowering.
Probably because we all experience light intensity issues our first couple grows without realizing and validate our unhealthy plant against others through confirmation bias. I know I under estimated how powerful these lights are when I started gardening. Fading leaves don't get crispy like light stressed leaves do. They just lose color and fall off naturally

N

nicholasdemitro

Hello

Looks good.. Grand daddy purple is a great one..

Making the call on when to harvest can be a bit of a guessing game sometimes.. especially if you're not exactly sure when you flipped them to 12/12. But hey, that's part of the fun...

Big buds are always a good sign, and sticky fingers mean your plants are definitely packing some resin. But I get what you mean about the trichome coverage ... it can vary a lot from strain to strain.

Here's my two cents: if your buds feel dense and gooey, they're probably getting close. But if you're still not seeing those trichomes pop like you want, it might be worth giving them another week to fatten up and get that frosty look you're after.

M

monkey47

Thanks for all your help guys, learning allot. Most of the Forums are dead. Nice to see there are still some forum users and not everything is on reddit lol

Probably because we all experience light intensity issues our first couple grows without realizing and validate our unhealthy plant against others through confirmation bias. I know I under estimated how powerful these lights are when I started gardening. Fading leaves don't get crispy like light stressed leaves do. They just lose color and fall off naturally

Yeah, I started a year ago again after being a way from the scene for a while. I mainly grew organic and back then it was with a magnetic ballast and hid bulb. Adjustawings were considered high tech LOL (my current pregrow led light costs les then that bulb reflector). And i never had any of those light issues like foxtailing and that much light bleach. Its definetly a phenotype that cant stand allot of heat and light. Max temp was 27 celcius and is now at 25.

I probably could have been more considered of the explosive bloom growth. First Time scrogging and DWC is really a killer when it commes to fast and massive growth spurts. Many of the tops were well above my temp meter so I"ll have tot take that into account next time. Maybe I should grow another week before flipping them the more evenly spread out the cannopy.

B

Bdubs

Thanks for all your help guys, learning allot. Most of the Forums are dead. Nice to see there are still some forum users and not everything is on reddit lol

Yeah, I started a year ago again after being a way from the scene for a while. I mainly grew organic and back then it was with a magnetic ballast and hid bulb. Adjustawings were considered high tech LOL (my current pregrow led light costs les then that bulb reflector). And i never had any of those light issues like foxtailing and that much light bleach. Its definetly a phenotype that cant stand allot of heat and light. Max temp was 27 celcius and is now at 25.

I probably could have been more considered of the explosive bloom growth. First Time scrogging and DWC is really a killer when it commes to fast and massive growth spurts. Many of the tops were well above my temp meter so I"ll have tot take that into account next time. Maybe I should grow another week before flipping them the more evenly spread out the cannopy.
Just hone in your environment a bit more. Max temps 77 lights on.

Growth spurts are stress. Heat stress is a killer stress if prolonged. No amount of veg will have the plants accepting more heat. You need more CO2 to handle the heat. Heat = growth rate=increased photon processing. More CO2 allows more light absorption and heat increases processes. Therefore if you have no forced CO2, above 77 degrees is into the unnecessary temps. If you don’t drop temps week 6+ you tend to see foxtailing in some amount (bursting bud growth from perfectly formed colas).

If I may suggest:
Next time do more defoliating and create more airflow to the plant. If running higher temps, at least keep leaf temps lower with good airflow. You have lots of plants in one tent and that makes it hard to manage temps and humidity. Trust me, I just grew a big girl and although I did do heavy defoliating below the belt, I fell short (lazy) on keeping up with the defoliating trying to go for a “natural” let it grow=more growth…nah it just stole energy from my buds to have excess foliage.

M

monkey47

Just hone in your environment a bit more. Max temps 77 lights on.

Growth spurts are stress. Heat stress is a killer stress if prolonged. No amount of veg will have the plants accepting more heat. You need more CO2 to handle the heat. Heat = growth rate=increased photon processing. More CO2 allows more light absorption and heat increases processes. Therefore if you have no forced CO2, above 77 degrees is into the unnecessary temps. If you don’t drop temps week 6+ you tend to see foxtailing in some amount (bursting bud growth from perfectly formed colas).

If I may suggest:
Next time do more defoliating and create more airflow to the plant. If running higher temps, at least keep leaf temps lower with good airflow. You have lots of plants in one tent and that makes it hard to manage temps and humidity. Trust me, I just grew a big girl and although I did do heavy defoliating below the belt, I fell short (lazy) on keeping up with the defoliating trying to go for a “natural” let it grow=more growth…nah it just stole energy from my buds to have excess foliage.
Yeah it's, my first time scrog and I just started out doing dwc I pruned a bit but I'm still working out the how to optimize to get an an even scrog field. Do the buds itself need to get direct light ? Which leaves would you advice to cut away. The once that block direct light to the buds and some extra to increase airflow ?

I'll ad a rotating fan to dispurse the heat more evenly. I haf one before but I came short a socket for it when I decided to pregrow with a 100watt led.

With regards to the co2. I ve had other strains that had no problem with 27 degrees celcius. If I want to keep breeding this one during summer I'll have to get an LED for bloom as well. Both my veg and flower tent are in the same small room where I spend most of the day behind my desk either working or doing other computer stuff. Me and my cat are there allot. I would think me and my cat présence in combinations with cycling air between lights on and off grow tents should increase the co2 amount by a measurable amount.

Is foxtailling due to much heat or light ?

B

Bdubs

Heat more than anything for foxtailing.

Your buds do not need light, the leafs need light. So the goal should be to create a canopy of leafs, a solar panel of leafs. Some shaded leafs getting some light is ok to keep. But anything fully shaded below, can be removed. In sessions..

You want to prune/defoliate leaves that are the oldest, first. So, lower leafs are always older. Older leafs do less work than new growth. Therefore you want to remove from bottom up.

Try not to remove fan leafs from the top unless they are impacting other growth or completely shading healthy newer growth below, like shading the canopy.

To scrog, you want to tuck. Every Few days, take your tallest colas and tuck them back down and out to the next square away. And continue to do that until you have all your colas even at the canopy and hopefully filling as many squares as possible with a side shoot/top. A second net above that can further give more tucking if needed to keep an even canopy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom