First Time Grow. Dwc. Led. Advice And Help Welcome!!!

• Thread starter JahRyan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JahRyan

Ive always wanted to grow and finally decided to invest in a indoor DWC setup w LED lights. I went with a 3x3x6 mylar tent and 2x300w VIPARSPECTRA full spectrum veg/flower LED lights. There are 2x6" fans one at the bottom of the tent for intake and the other at the top for outtake going into my carbon filter. I went with a DWC kit from amazon that came with all the hoses, pumps, air stones, and 3x5 gal buckets. For my nutrients I went with General Hydroponics FloraGrow, Bloom, Micro combo and and Ph kit. Ive read alot about nutrients and tried to find the best for your dollar but after looking i felt like it mostly came down to opinion and what each person has tried. i just went with the generic brand since this is my first grow and have alot to learn. i have a temp/humidity digital reader. ive also ordered a digital ph and digital ppm meter to make sure i get the most accurate readings i can. I think that about covers everything and the price tag was $606 and some change after shipping and tax. Im going to start my first grow with some clones this weekend. Any personal tricks that have helped or anything you may think i have forgot for the setup please let me know. Im also looking into getting a RO water filter but until then ill be using distilled water. Thanks in advance for any help i may recieve! Excited to start growing and will keep you updated for more potential ideas and help.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Just be aware that hydro plants can grow out of control before you realize it. Expect the plants to at least double their size (maybe triple) from the time you switch to 12/12 to harvest. You can slow the amount that it grows up during veg by topping and training. GH makes sense for your first time, but I wouldn't stick with them. Not sure if you know but they're owned by Scotts/Monsanto/Miracle-grow/Bayer/El Diablo/John Wayne Gacy. Ok maybe not the last one

J

JahRyan

I have been watching alot of videos on lollipopping and scroging which from what i understand is kinda what youre talking about? And for the nutrients im glad you said that i should have done more homework on them. Im going to stop by the local hyrdoponics store and see what they have, though depending on price it may have to wait unfortunately. Not happy at all to hear i chose a Monsanto product...

J

JahRyan

Also i will post pics this weekend of the setup and the clones.

J

JahRyan

Ended up getting some seeds i am going to start with instead of clones. i have the 5gal buckets filled with the water and mixed the nutrients in. have the seeds in rockwool cubes soaking in water in the dark. gonna let the water sit overnight to regulate the temps. checked the ph and it was around 6.5. Hopefully i have some sprouts by this weekend!. when i move the buckets to the tent i will take pics of the setup. i tried to tonight but my camera was dead.

dan1989

dan1989

Ended up getting some seeds i am going to start with instead of clones. i have the 5gal buckets filled with the water and mixed the nutrients in. have the seeds in rockwool cubes soaking in water in the dark. gonna let the water sit overnight to regulate the temps. checked the ph and it was around 6.5. Hopefully i have some sprouts by this weekend!. when i move the buckets to the tent i will take pics of the setup. i tried to tonight but my camera was dead.

Read up a little on extraction. It is my understanding that your intake fan needs to be a smaller size than your extractor fan. With the size of your tent you would probably only require passive intakes in my opinion. Any good tent will be waterproof, reasonably airtight, light proof, strong, and have all the facilities for hanging lights and filters, running ducting and flaps for acting as passive intakes.

dan1989

dan1989

Read up a little on extraction. It is my understanding that your intake fan needs to be a smaller size than your extractor fan. With the size of your tent you would probably only require passive intakes in my opinion. Any good tent will be waterproof, reasonably airtight, light proof, strong, and have all the facilities for hanging lights and filters, running ducting and flaps for acting as passive intakes.

And again, in my opinion, you would be better off starting in coco. I wanted to buy an ebb flow system for my first ever grow, glad my grower friend advised me against this. Basically said start in coco or soil (actually he just said coco, I got soil and regretted it, I think coco is easier) and hone your skills first on 2 or 3 plants. So that's what I did. I'm sure there are much much smarter people out there than me that can dive straight into hydro and do great, just saying why not start off easy? Know its a shit thing to say after you spent $600 but...

A good source of information I found (besides this site of course) is a book called ' growing elite marijuana' by Ryan Riley. Covers EVERYTHING and easy reading. Or there are some good ones by Ed Rosenthal. I would say you are best off cramming yourself with information, start off easy, and gain some experience... Cos really with all the help in the world from this site, that's what wins the day right?

Good luck D :)

J

JahRyan

yea ive looked into different growing mediums but ended up going with DWC cause it seems like youll get much bigger harvests in shorter time. Trial and error will always be a part of it though. im no stranger to farming and growing plants in soil either, just never marijuana. Ill check barnes and noble tomorrow for that book if not ill check amazon. i have a few older growing books but a more current one would def help. My friend has a plant in coco right now he was actually asking if he could put it in the tent with mine. not sure if thats a good idea or not tho.

dan1989

dan1989

yea ive looked into different growing mediums but ended up going with DWC cause it seems like youll get much bigger harvests in shorter time. Trial and error will always be a part of it though. im no stranger to farming and growing plants in soil either, just never marijuana. Ill check barnes and noble tomorrow for that book if not ill check amazon. i have a few older growing books but a more current one would def help. My friend has a plant in coco right now he was actually asking if he could put it in the tent with mine. not sure if thats a good idea or not tho.

Wouldn't like to say really, not at all familiar with hydro setups tbh. Just seemed like a lot to take in without even getting to learning about the plants :D I'm sure you'll nail it!

J

JahRyan

Lol i def expect to fail in some aspect. But in the long term i feel like this setup will be good for me. At least i hope so!

Top Bottom