First time Grow. Light burn or deficiency?

• Thread starter bgudell
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bgudell

This is why I recommend it:

I love the idea of smart pots but they dry out way to quickly and that may be the cause of some of your problems. I’m growing in a ‘living soil’ bed by grassroots. You can make your own version of it by wrapping some plastic/Saran wrap around the smart pots to help keep moisture in.

If you have the time check out Tad Hussey’s Cannabis Cultivation & Science podcast. He runs KISorganics and it’s full of good info and guests.
Respect. we'll get the hang of it. Wanna learn the right way before I resort to automated watering.

D

Dugplug

View attachment 1240402
Hello all,

New to all of this so any help would be much appreciated. Some stats...

Days since Sprout - 59
Days in Flower - 30
Seeds - Durban Poison Fem Auto. Is it possible that the plant to the right is the same strain as the left. Supposed to be the same but different in every way. Already have way better genetics for next run from Mephisto
Water - Tap water left out for 24hr to dechlorinate
Water PH - 5.9 - 6.2 because medium is coco

Water Method - Since this is my first grow, I started watering using solo cups. Now I'm watering with a 3 Gallon Sprayer. I think this changed the rate of nutrients uptake.

Grow Area - Basement office where I work from home so CO2 should be pretty high. No meter yet
Grow tent - 3x3x8 Gorilla
Grow Light - Kind Led X330
Light Height - 12"-24" - Probable cause
Pots - 7Gal Fabric
Fans - AC Infinity 4" CloudlineT4 w/ Controller 69 / Low Speed Stationary Fan on lower / oscillating fan just above canopy / Stationary fan above light. I'm aware this is overkill with the circulation
Humidifier - Coospider w/ inkbird controller
Medium - Bio365 BioFlower
Nutrients - I was told the above Bio365 should have enough nutrients to carry through to harvest.
Compost Tea - I've done 2 very light feedings. Molasses, worm castings and some down to earth amendments. Brew 24hr
Temp - 79-82F
Humidity During Veg - 70-75Rh
Humidity During Flower - 48-52Rh

Hypothesis -
1. I think the seed company gave me two different strains. Left vs Right
2. Light too close to plant. Right plant is shorter. Thinking that why it's doing so much better. Further from light.
3. Changing water technique to a long slow mist increased nutrient uptake due to very even watering compared to dumping solo cups filled with water like a savage. Reason for tip burn

Thoughts...questions...answers

All is appreciated
Seeds are never the same only time you see same growth is from a clone. Different genetics always show up mine are never the same I have 3 Bruce banner autos all 3 are different

B

bgudell

Seeds are never the same only time you see same growth is from a clone. Different genetics always show up mine are never the same I have 3 Bruce banner autos all 3 are different
Good to know. I have some Bruce banner photoperiods on deck for the next grow. Excited for that.

B

bgudell

Big thanks to all who have helped

Some update photos

Strain - Durban Poison Auto

Day 39 of Flower

I've started watering with low dose Fox Farm nutrients. I think it's improving. Buds are developing so I still have fingers crossed for a decent first run. Smaller plant in previous pics is in the dry tent looking good.

Any thoughts?
IMG 6259
IMG 6252
IMG 6253
IMG 6254
IMG 6255
IMG 6257
IMG 6258

Last edited:
B

bgudell

Hello All,
I have a client in commercial Colorado with the same issue. Turns out Bruce Banner requires a high amount of calcium/magnesium/Nitrogen in the veg stage. The fix was about twice as much (5ml of calmag per gallon instead of 2.5) and above average (a little less than double) nitrogen added. After about 2-3 days, they were all back to healthy plants. In researching this issue, 90% of people look at it and say it’s an over water issue. Which it looks very similar. It is just a sensitive strain that requires some extra TLC. I have seen on other forums where it happens in flower as well but does not require as much as double to fix it like it does while in veg. Client was still in veg stage. Hope this helps!
Problem already solved ... but you're right. It was a cal-mag/nitrogen issue. Didn't realize how common that was, especially growing on coco. I'm in the flush stage now so fingers crossed for something decent.

Mugwort

Mugwort

Nice macro of the plant to the right of the above which I think is about ready for harvest. Again, first grow so let me know if you think i'm too early.
View attachment 1240409
It almost looks like they were grown in different medias or received different nute regimens. The lighter green of the two looks like it has received less nitrogen.

B

bgudell

It almost looks like they were grown in different medias or received different nute regimens. The lighter green of the two looks like it has received less nitrogen.
I accidentally gave one plant too much water which drained out a lot of the nutrients in the pre amended coco mix. Being my first grow, I didn't realize what I did until I noticed the drain pan beneath each plant weeks later. The plant the came out great, (macro shot) had a very clean drain pan (no flushed nutrients). The plant that I accidentally flushed had residue nutrients in the pan. Looked Dirty. I amended with foxfarm which helped. On the second feeding I up'ed the calmag and the plant really looked happy.

Slickrick82

Slickrick82

View attachment 1240402
Hello all,

Days since Sprout - 59
Days in Flower - 30
Seeds - Durban Poison Fem Auto. Is it possible that the plant to the right is the same strain as the left. Supposed to be the same but different in every way. Already have way better genetics for next run from Mephisto

Water Method - Since this is my first grow, I started watering using solo cups. Now I'm watering with a 3 Gallon Sprayer. I think this changed the rate of nutrients uptake.

Grow Area - Basement office where I work from home so CO2 should be pretty high. No meter yet
Pots - 7Gal Fabric
Fans - AC Infinity 4" CloudlineT4 w/ Controller 69 / Low Speed Stationary Fan on lower / oscillating fan just above canopy / Stationary fan above light. I'm aware this is overkill with the circulation
Nutrients - I was told the above Bio365 should have enough nutrients to carry through to harvest.
Compost Tea - I've done 2 very light feedings. Molasses, worm castings and some down to earth amendments. Brew 24hr
Temp - 79-82F

Hypothesis -
2. Light too close to plant. Right plant is shorter. Thinking that why it's doing so much better. Further from light.
3. Changing water technique to a long slow mist increased nutrient uptake due to very even watering compared to dumping solo cups filled with water like a savage. Reason for tip burn

All is appreciated

View attachment 1240402
Hello all,

Days since Sprout - 59
Days in Flower - 30

Pots - 7Gal Fabric
Temp - 79-82F

Hypothesis -

All is appreciated
What I do I feed the soil not the plant. Get
View attachment 1240402
Hello all,

Days since Sprout - 59
Days in Flower - 30

Pots - 7Gal Fabric
Temp - 79-82F

Hypothesis -

All is appreciated

Make the plant Happy ,the plant will make u happy at the end. Feed soil not the plant. And just watch her bloom

D

Danod61

View attachment 1240402
Hello all,

Days since Sprout - 59
Days in Flower - 30

Pots - 7Gal Fabric
Temp - 79-82F

Hypothesis -

All is appreciated
Hello , I got the same exact results twice now using bio365 bio flower. I had four different strains growing ( Because I like variety) They were all growing fantastic then at day 29 in flower 2 of my plants started to lighten in color and the other 2 plants were fine. I only added water since there is no need for nutrients. The next watering the 2 plants faded some more. I checked the soil ph and it was about 7.7 I made a folier spay of cal mag and mild phosphorus and potassium and the 2 plants limped along for 3 weeks but never really recovered. I think the ph is too high in the bio365 soil because I started another grow and got a little further into flower and the same thing happened . I’m trying to figure out if I had a nutrient lock out with the soil ph at 7.7 The plats looked like yours with nice flowers and bright green dead leaves .

D

Danod61

Just to add to this blog , I just watched a video on light intensity and treating light like rain drops. When vedgeing you get 18 hours of bright light ( example 700 ppd x 18 hours) When you change to 12/12 you need to increase light intensity but very gradual . I had increased my light from 35% to 48% It all strains can take the increase in light and some can . I think I might have light burned my girls . I will adjust the next grow.

Top Bottom