First Time Grow, looking to do it right.

• Thread starter workngrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
workngrow

workngrow

As the title suggests, first time grow.

Like many I have done a fair amount of research to try and understand environment control, ventilation/temperature/humidity/tds readings/ph, the list runs on. Interesting community as everyone seems to find which way works for them.

I am diving straight into the deep end, puns intended, with deep water culture. The approach fits my time schedule and with the monitoring tools available should give me the capability to remotely monitor aspects of the grow. Parse out changes in environment and/or nutrient uptake over time, and basically generate reports. I work in a technical space, so data management and workflow is where I tend to thrive.

Since I've basically learned to date that a 'grow' operation has varying stages with varying environment and feed needs at each stage. So listing what I am working with for each.

Propagation:
Super Sprouter Premium Propagation Kit
Rockwool cubes
Clonex Seedling and Clone nutrients

Veg and Flower, same tent. (Will likely change in the future assuming this isn't a Trainwreck (haha).)
5x5 Tent
6'' Vent system /w humidity and temp control
Few fans (clip-able, have batts, should run for a bit if short power outage)
Dehumidifier
Wireless temp/humidity monitors (Data collection)
Bluelab Guardian Monitor Connect with the USB Connector (This for water measurement/monitoring/data collection)
**This would basically hang out in the res and transmit readings to PC (Think this can be cloud leveraged as well.) Almost a third of the cost is invested in variable monitoring because I dont want any sort of failure be a result of inaction on an item that gets out of wack, such as water temp or ph.

UPS System Surge Protection and power outage battery life. (This should keep the system rolling in the event of a short outage.)

The 3 variables I am trying to settle on for the final stages of planning this out is the lights, nutes, and construction of the dwc system itself.

The DWC System:
For the under current reservoir dwc system I am just going to model a 4 plant site system off videos and diagrams I've seen. The system isn't too incredibly complicated, though I did read in one of the threads here that it was possible to run this system without air-stones, and use falling water to oxygenate the water. So the plan is to drop a couple drains with maybe a fitting at the end in each plant side to push aerated water into the container. The thread also mentioned that the air coming from the stones tends to rip up the root mass and that they found the water 'jets' or 'drains' produced sufficient oxygenation. Any feedback on that perspective would be awesome.

The containers are 15 gallon, 25'' inches x like 14'' and 12'' tall. Black but will be coated in reflective material. They look sturdy, are made of the appropriate plastic and have a nice surface spot to drop a plant basket right in the center. Through research on bucket sizing the information I found said you want about a foot deep for root space, as anything after about that tends to want to grow outward instead of down. To maximize space for growing the plants in a 5x5, keeping the container itself at a safe but short height seemed important.

Otherwise standard pvc, fittings, etc. My super awesome color coded mspaint diagram of the general layout. This is just pieced together from what I have seen other people or companies sell. Most of the pre-built setups didnt have the right amount of spacing, shooting for 2.5m2 per plant or close to it which means everything needs to be centered and spaced appropriately.

1615431838903.png

Nutes
Aqua Man here pointed me to the Jacks products which I am checking out. I am pretty sure whatever I settle with, it'll be powder based and ill be avoiding the Fox Farms/Advanced Nutrients rigmarole. So either Jacks or Lotus, which the cal-mag aspects with those seem to be taken care of so then I would probably get a silica additive and hydroguard.

Light
With what the system would be able to produce this is where I am struggling. I've seen some of the YT videos where Spock from I believe the univ. of utah shows you how to do light intensity measurements and calculate what's needed for X Space over time, etc. Using I believe was a quantum reader. I will need to go over this a few more times to understand how all of the conversions work because I am dumb. Really looking for the ideal scenario for potency/yield as probably most people.

The light I am currently looking at purchasing is here:

Power60-600 Watts
Voltage Range100-277 VAC 50-60Hz
LEDSamsung LM301H & Deep Red
Flowering Footprint5' x 5' at 28"
Veg Footprint6' x 6' at 40”
System PPF Efficacy2.55 μmol/joule
Total output1522 PPF
Dimensions26" x 21.5" x 2.75"
Recommended Mounting Height28-36 inches above canopy

Sorry for the long post, just a lot of information to take in the first pass and needed a place to decompress this and hopefully get some ideas/pointers along the way. Thanks in Advance.

threatco

threatco

Like many I have done a fair amount of research to try and understand environment control, ventilation/temperature/humidity/tds readings/ph, the list runs on. Interesting community as everyone seems to find which way works for them.

I am diving straight into the deep end, puns intended, with deep water culture. The approach fits my time schedule and with the monitoring tools available should give me the capability to remotely monitor aspects of the grow. Parse out changes in environment and/or nutrient uptake over time, and basically generate reports. I work in a technical space, so data management and workflow is where I tend to thrive.

Since I've basically learned to date that a 'grow' operation has varying stages with varying environment and feed needs at each stage. So listing what I am working with for each.

Propagation:
Rockwool cubes

Veg and Flower, same tent. (Will likely change in the future assuming this isn't a Trainwreck (haha).)
5x5 Tent
Dehumidifier
Bluelab Guardian Monitor Connect with the USB Connector (This for water measurement/monitoring/data collection)
**This would basically hang out in the res and transmit readings to PC (Think this can be cloud leveraged as well.) Almost a third of the cost is invested in variable monitoring because I dont want any sort of failure be a result of inaction on an item that gets out of wack, such as water temp or ph.

UPS System Surge Protection and power outage battery life. (This should keep the system rolling in the event of a short outage.)

The 3 variables I am trying to settle on for the final stages of planning this out is the lights, nutes, and construction of the dwc system itself.

The DWC System:
For the under current reservoir dwc system I am just going to model a 4 plant site system off videos and diagrams I've seen. The system isn't too incredibly complicated, though I did read in one of the threads here that it was possible to run this system without air-stones, and use falling water to oxygenate the water. So the plan is to drop a couple drains with maybe a fitting at the end in each plant side to push aerated water into the container. The thread also mentioned that the air coming from the stones tends to rip up the root mass and that they found the water 'jets' or 'drains' produced sufficient oxygenation. Any feedback on that perspective would be awesome.

The containers are 15 gallon, 25'' inches x like 14'' and 12'' tall. Black but will be coated in reflective material. They look sturdy, are made of the appropriate plastic and have a nice surface spot to drop a plant basket right in the center. Through research on bucket sizing the information I found said you want about a foot deep for root space, as anything after about that tends to want to grow outward instead of down. To maximize space for growing the plants in a 5x5, keeping the container itself at a safe but short height seemed important.

Otherwise standard pvc, fittings, etc. My super awesome color coded mspaint diagram of the general layout. This is just pieced together from what I have seen other people or companies sell. Most of the pre-built setups didnt have the right amount of spacing, shooting for 2.5m2 per plant or close to it which means everything needs to be centered and spaced appropriately.

View attachment 1100976

Nutes
Aqua Man here pointed me to the Jacks products which I am checking out. I am pretty sure whatever I settle with, it'll be powder based and ill be avoiding the Fox Farms/Advanced Nutrients rigmarole. So either Jacks or Lotus, which the cal-mag aspects with those seem to be taken care of so then I would probably get a silica additive and hydroguard.

Light
With what the system would be able to produce this is where I am struggling. I've seen some of the YT videos where Spock from I believe the univ. of utah shows you how to do light intensity measurements and calculate what's needed for X Space over time, etc. Using I believe was a quantum reader. I will need to go over this a few more times to understand how all of the conversions work because I am dumb. Really looking for the ideal scenario for potency/yield as probably most people.

Power60-600 Watts
Total output1522 PPF

Sorry for the long post, just a lot of information to take in the first pass and needed a place to decompress this and hopefully get some ideas/pointers along the way. Thanks in Advance.

Heya Work,

6 years growing hydro at home experience. I am not pro but I will share my thoughts as I went through a similar stage of planning a similar set up.

Here are the main cons as I see it about an rdwc system like this.
In the construction, getting those bulkhead holes drilled fitted, and sealed perfectly is not easy, at least not on a first try.
Those bulkheads being rigid makes it harder to move and adjust the system as needed for repairs or cleaning.
Keeping those roots from clogging the PVC in late flower can be a chore.
I would still airstone it regardless. I am sure some arguments can be made against it, but keeping up that O2 saturation is no joke.

I ended up going with a flood and drain system. As long as you have the vertical space needed I strongly feel it has many advantages over other methods for these size setups at this level of experience. You can see me setting it up in the following thread for a 3.5x8 space. I also used 4 containers and a reservoir. > https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/setting-up-new-ebb-and-flow-grow-space.112877/

As for the lights...

I find lights are the ultimate rabbit hole in the growing game. The more you research the more options you find out about the longer you can end up spending over thinking the exact right thing for you.

I would suggest you go with a Chinese version of that HLG light you linked. There are several well-reviewed brands you can find on ali-baba and even with shipping, you will save more than 50% compared to HLG or Spider-Farm. As long as it's Samsung Diodes with a Meanwell driver it's going to be just as good.

How much light is needed?

You don't really save money getting a 480w (4 panel) compared to 2x 240w (2 panels each). So it's recommended to get more lights at smaller wattage so you can spread them out for optimal coverage.

In a 5x5 tent you should be okay with 2x 240w quantum lights, but getting a third one would not be a waste if you nail all the other conditions to take advantage of it. 4x 240w would be overkill.

I'd suggest something like this x2 or x3 > https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...99.html?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.1b563e5f10c1mt

Abby at that company did give very good customer service.

Good luck!

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Dwc is fun and rewarding. I've had friends hit 2g/w and over doing aggressive feeding/training in dwc.

It is not, however, particularly friendly to beginners, or forgiving of mistakes. Might consider doing a couple plants in soil just to get it figured out a little first before you invest a large amount of time and money into a nice dwc setup.

If you are set on dwc, five gallon buckets make perfect containers for dwc. For a tent of your size they would probably be perfect. I would also maybe get some kind of back up power for your water set up as power outages can be devastating!

workngrow

workngrow

Heya Work,

6 years growing hydro at home experience. I am not pro but I will share my thoughts as I went through a similar stage of planning a similar set up.

Here are the main cons as I see it about an rdwc system like this.
In the construction, getting those bulkhead holes drilled fitted, and sealed perfectly is not easy, at least not on a first try.
Those bulkheads being rigid makes it harder to move and adjust the system as needed for repairs or cleaning.
Keeping those roots from clogging the PVC in late flower can be a chore.
I would still airstone it regardless. I am sure some arguments can be made against it, but keeping up that O2 saturation is no joke.

I ended up going with a flood and drain system. As long as you have the vertical space needed I strongly feel it has many advantages over other methods for these size setups at this level of experience. You can see me setting it up in the following thread for a 3.5x8 space. I also used 4 containers and a reservoir. > https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/setting-up-new-ebb-and-flow-grow-space.112877/

As for the lights...

I find lights are the ultimate rabbit hole in the growing game. The more you research the more options you find out about the longer you can end up spending over thinking the exact right thing for you.

I would suggest you go with a Chinese version of that HLG light you linked. There are several well-reviewed brands you can find on ali-baba and even with shipping, you will save more than 50% compared to HLG or Spider-Farm. As long as it's Samsung Diodes with a Meanwell driver it's going to be just as good.

How much light is needed?

You don't really save money getting a 480w (4 panel) compared to 2x 240w (2 panels each). So it's recommended to get more lights at smaller wattage so you can spread them out for optimal coverage.

In a 5x5 tent you should be okay with 2x 240w quantum lights, but getting a third one would not be a waste if you nail all the other conditions to take advantage of it. 4x 240w would be overkill.

I'd suggest something like this x2 or x3 > https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...99.html?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.1b563e5f10c1mt

Abby at that company did give very good customer service.

Good luck!

For the rdwc was mainly looking for something that would fit. I'm slightly limited in space from a vertical perspective. So having kind of a rack situation with an upper/lower area to fall and pump back up. If I had a few more feet of ceiling space I would probably lean that way as well. I guess if I were to be a bit crafty with a design it could probably still be fairly low profile. I guess from a design perspective the rwdc fit me better at this time.

I didn't want to do individual buckets because maintenance seems just a tad bit simpler from a res when taking measurements with the bluelab probes and administering nutes. Plus the added water in the event the levels get low or they suddenly start drawing more water than I might realize at a time. 5 gallon buckets, generally run a few inches tall. Some around 14-16'' tall and in a tight space I'm sure this is a game of inches as it seems plant growth if not managed well can grow out of control.

So I found some 'bins' that are 12'' to gain a couple inches. low and wide, hopefully to help with providing the roots spacing without causing too much congestion which I also think would be a disadvantage of the bucket vs. the bins. Watching folks pull up pics of their root masses and such in the bucket it fills the cylinder in kind of a narrow tight packed look,

As for the air stones, you do make a good point. I do plan on putting them in anyway and ill just experiment with it on and off to see if the system can run without it or not. There was a lot of discussion in another thread here about it. The results were pretty good. O2 definitely important and is on my mind.

I did watch a youtube video about how submarines oxygenate water with some sort of electrolysis, one of these days I'd like to experiment with that. There is that o2grow product that is super expensive that does basically that in a kit, but based on the science of if I think it could be built fairly simply.

As far as construction I am going to get those Under Current screw on bulkheads, they look pretty straight forward. This dude that runs a hydro shop in PA/MD has youtube videos of him constructing a system they sell, he shows how to do it step by step so I am just taking what hes doing and adding some twists to it.

For lights funny you mention the multiple boards, started digging into that more today and i'll probably take your advice and go after a couple boards. I'll need to setup a small veg space/rig anyway to get a rotation going so end goal is the 5x5 would just be used to for flowering.

As for the soil, I am just looking for something particularly challenging and I welcome it. Basically to just fulfill this compelling need to have 'my own hydro' in a sense. Its why I am trying to be as thorough as possible on all of the variables. Don't cut any corners and basically focus on making a good product. Learn from everyone here who has gone through it and made mistakes and has had success and just hopefully I get lucky and pull in enough information to avoid some of those mistakes myself.

Thanks for responding guys the info was helpful.

SSgrower

SSgrower

Welcome to the forum and good luck, I am trying dtw 1st. then maybe a DWC system in a year or two. I'll enjoy the hand watering for my 1st few grows of only 4 plants or less. Cheers!

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Separate reservoirs does increase workload. However, single reservoir serving many buckets means you can't adjust such nutrients for the individual plant. Or a reservoir issue will affect all plants it feeds.

Just threw it out there..

workngrow

workngrow

Separate reservoirs does increase workload. However, single reservoir serving many buckets means you can't adjust such nutrients for the individual plant. Or a reservoir issue will affect all plants it feeds.

Just threw it out there..

True, all the more reason I suppose to manage the res properly and make sure what I am putting in it, is supposed to go in it. etc

Not to mention strain variations feeding off the same system as not all plants are the same etc.

Last edited:
threatco

threatco

True, all the more reason I suppose to manage the res properly and make sure what I am putting in it, is supposed to go in it. etc

Not to mention strain variations feeding off the same system as not all plants are the same etc.

One res makes good sense especially because you have invested in that blue lab monitor already.

workngrow

workngrow

One res makes good sense especially because you have invested in that blue lab monitor already.

Check this out:

Something called the 'Kratky' method. Haven't done any research on how this works with the devils lettuce, obviously romaine works just fine for this guy. Some obsessive water level monitoring and he's able to bang things out without using any pumps at all. By keeping root mass exposed in open air inside the container.

A combination of something like this along with a waterfall, to give the low-ish lying pool some regular splashing to give some extra natural oxygenation on top might be an interesting combined use of a few difference practices. The light and ventilation aside, this would could reduce possible points of failure down to just the water pump in the hydro system itself instead of having to run both air and water pumps separately with overly full buckets/deeper water levels. My guess is that weed requires more oxygenation to reach its full potential, so dudes lettuce routine by itself is probably not enough.

I mean I am no experienced grower by any means but aggregating the information across the board from all different types of grows/growers and techniques everyone uses from tried and true to new and experimental to form a working strategy thats unique appeals to me.

Heres a guy doing an autoflower, hands off.

Last edited:
dazedX_Xspirit

dazedX_Xspirit

Propagation:
Rockwool cubes

5x5 Tent
Dehumidifier

The DWC System:

View attachment 1100976

Nutes

Light

Power60-600 Watts
Total output1522 PPF

Hey there! I am really new to this too, but I thought I would give my 2 cents. I splurged and purchased the HLG550. I love the results it gave me, I have spoken to some more experienced ppl, they think it is overpriced but legit. I did a fair amount of research and rely on micromoles to measure plant light I use an apogee PAR meter so I don't blast the plants with too much light. I like that there are red diodes that promote the emerson effect (more photosynthesis). From what i have read Samsung diodes are top of the line, as well as meanwell drivers. I am impressed with how great my girls turned out for a first go, and I think I can attribute the lights and strain for the quality.
heres a link
pic of how it went for me, hopefully it all pans out dude

2dec2020
workngrow

workngrow

Hey there! I am really new to this too, but I thought I would give my 2 cents. I splurged and purchased the HLG550. I love the results it gave me, I have spoken to some more experienced ppl, they think it is overpriced but legit. I did a fair amount of research and rely on micromoles to measure plant light I use an apogee PAR meter so I don't blast the plants with too much light. I like that there are red diodes that promote the emerson effect (more photosynthesis). From what i have read Samsung diodes are top of the line, as well as meanwell drivers. I am impressed with how great my girls turned out for a first go, and I think I can attribute the lights and strain for the quality.
heres a link
pic of how it went for me, hopefully it all pans out dude

That looks pretty good, nice frosty flower. I've been digging into some light options on and off for a week or 2. I like the idea of 2 lights just simply due to a failover option. If 1 light goes down Ill at least have something else in there so the whole gravy train doesn't crash.

Looking at 2 of any of these below:

Looks like it has a good full spectrum along with the power, etc. Two of these look pretty solid and come in almost 200 cheaper than the HLG light while not resorting to alibaba or otherwise. Which I'm sure is cheaper, just would prefer the reliability of ordering in country and won't have to wait as long.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082XY8B7...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

dazedX_Xspirit

dazedX_Xspirit

That looks pretty good, nice frosty flower. I've been digging into some light options on and off for a week or 2. I like the idea of 2 lights just simply due to a failover option. If 1 light goes down Ill at least have something else in there so the whole gravy train doesn't crash.

Looks like it has a good full spectrum along with the power, etc. Two of these look pretty solid and come in almost 200 cheaper than the HLG light while not resorting to alibaba or otherwise. Which I'm sure is cheaper, just would prefer the reliability of ordering in country and won't have to wait as long.
That light looks like the same damn thing I spent too much money on lmao. Great find dude. Did you settle on what type of nutes you are going to use? I am curious as to how people find Jacks as I have just found out about them this past week, it looks waay more economical than General Hydroponics.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082XY8B7...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

I use the BP3000 for veg and can say its a helluva light for the price. $239 for 300 watts from the wall aint to bad. Now I don't use it to flower as I don't think its enough watts to flower a 4x4 by itself. Two however? IDK. I use a 650 watt light for flower. They also have the BP4000 that is 400 watts from the wall. Even more diodes. Two of those would flower a 5x5 I would say. $339 isnt a bad price either.

Like I said I don't flower with the BP3000, but it is a beast of a veg light and will veg a 4x4 no problem.

IMG 1966

IMG 2054

https://www.amazon.com/BP4000-Spect...ht&qid=1615691318&sprefix=bp40,aps,176&sr=8-5

workngrow

workngrow

That light looks like the same damn thing I spent too much money on lmao. Great find dude. Did you settle on what type of nutes you are going to use? I am curious as to how people find Jacks as I have just found out about them this past week, it looks waay more economical than General Hydroponics.

Whatever happens multiple lights are likely to get purchased, whether I shove 2 in a 5x5 or get 1 higher end light for flower and a lesser light for veg.

Yea the Nutes is going to likely be either Jacks or Lotus probably just haven't finalized any plans there. Cost is going to be 3-500 roughly in nutes per grow cycle start to finish. LED wont add a hole lot to the power bill and if I can keep the rdwc system running on just the 1 pump it'll all help keep the price per grow down.

When I ran price comparisons on 2 of the more popular liquid nute options it just gets out of hand with all the add on shit. Just a few gallons of liquid grow and bloom is quite a few hundred dollars. Seems like the powder based nutes could run closer to half the price and cover all the same necessary points. I get that at this point its somewhat of a hobby, and you have to pay to play but you also shouldn't have to bend over the table for whats basically plant food. My dog eats less food in a year than it does to feed a single 4 plant grow.

workngrow

workngrow

I use the BP3000 for veg and can say its a helluva light for the price. $239 for 300 watts from the wall aint to bad. Now I don't use it to flower as I don't think its enough watts to flower a 4x4 by itself. Two however? IDK. I use a 650 watt light for flower. They also have the BP4000 that is 400 watts from the wall. Even more diodes. Two of those would flower a 5x5 I would say. $339 isnt a bad price either.

Like I said I don't flower with the BP3000, but it is a beast of a veg light and will veg a 4x4 no problem.

View attachment 1101976
View attachment 1101975

Those looks great, somewhat reassuring to see that come off of the Bloom lights. I may run with the 3k for veg like you do and get the 4k for flowering and just kick it for the first grow and add something with it later on.
https://www.amazon.com/BP4000-Spect...ht&qid=1615691318&sprefix=bp40,aps,176&sr=8-5

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

I know you said you don't want to mess with Alibaba but I use these to flower with...They are beast of flower lights for the low. And will fit a 5x5 perfectly. I have one and just upgrade to another even better one for a 4x8 space. Paid $650 for this one shipped and $800 for the one I just ordered. They only take like 5-7 days to ship if you get express shipping. You have to contact Meijiu directly and chat with the rep to get the express shipping. These lights produce 2-3 pounds per light easy. I did all the research and read my ass off. These are the best deal going if your willing to risk direct ordering from China. IMO.

Alibaba really wasn't that hard to deal with. In fact the rep from the light company was and is on her costumer service game! They have earned a customer for life from me.

workngrow

workngrow

Started throwing some things up, put the cover and plastic wrap on the carbon filter to just hang for a bit so I can just slide it off and attach it later on. Solo dolo hanging that stuff was a bitch for a minute until I got kind of the swing. Just using zip ties for the ventilator and the straps that came with it for the filter. I wanted originally to have the vent. and filter more centered but with the Tent right around 7ft will need the most available space to either raise or lower the lights as needed is my guess. So I slid it to the back corner.

Probably not an A++ location but it should still do the job. With the low profile of the quantum board should be able to make the most out of the 6 or so feet of vertical grow space leaving 2.5sq ft for each plant for training of various types, etc. I would have gone with just a straight 6x6 but this setup just to begin is more proof of concept. If everything goes well and I dont suck at this, considering doing a smedium sized room later.

I like the AC Infinity stuff and I kind of like things lining up/uniformity.

Top Bottom