First time grower..could use a little help or advice

• Thread starter shado
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

shado

I started 2 auto's 13 days ago. auto kaya47 and auto skunk mass (from advanced seeds)
All seems to be going well. they are under 2x 30w 6400k cfl's and 4x 15w 2700k clf's.Higher clf's to be added later on. They were started in 500ml pots and were getting 50ml water every 2 days.no nutes. temps are 27C/81F lights on and 18C/65F lights off.

After day 6 or 7 the skunk mass started to grow up in a kind of "Y" shape and the leaves starting showing white/yellow spots or marks.Even new growth are showing same marks.

Skunk mass d13 2

I hadn't planned giving any nutes untill they started flowering(usually in the 4th week with auto's).
The nutes i got online were organic soiltabs for veg and organic flowertabs for flowering(from nirvanashop). On day10 i put 1/4 soiltab in the skunk mass to see if it made any difference,so far nothing. also i put 1/4 soiltab crushed up into water and starting feeding the kaya47 50ml of that every 2 days.

I've searched online but haven't found anything similar. I've posted the same in my intro thread with not much responce.
Any advice on what could be wrong(if anything) with the auto skunk mass would be great.

Here are some more pics of both plants ...

Kaya47

First time growercould use a little help or advice 2
First time growercould use a little help or advice 3

Skunk Mass
Skunk mass d13 2
Skunk mass d13 1

Skunk mass 2
Skunk mass 1

P

Producer

Looks to me like Nitogen Toxicity.

I found this online. Looks like it might apply to you.
I've highlited the parts which look like might apply to your pictures.

Now for having too much nitrogen in your growing mediums or soil. The plant will have like an overall DARK green look and have delayed maturity. Due to Nitrogen being involved in vegetative growth, to much nitrogen will result in tall plants with weak stems. New growth will be very lively and plant transpiration will be high, but not always. Nitrogen toxicity can be seen when there are very very dry conditions almost as if there was a drought, which may show a burning effect. If you give your plants ammonium based nutrients they may show NH4+ toxicity, which will show a smaller plant growth and lesions that occur on stems and roots, leaf margins that will roll downward. Also the big fan leaves will have “the claw” look. The tips will point down but the leaves will stay up as if when you bend your fingers downwards. Leaves can be twisted when growing… mainly new growths. Roots will be under developed along with the slowing of flowering. Yields will be decreased, because to much nitrogen in early stages of flowering slows down bud growth. Water uptake is slowing down from the vascular breakdown of the plants as well. Too much potassium and nitrogen will lock out calcium as well.

Here's another link I found.

Just my thought...
Also because that plant is soo tall i'd say its stretching for height..
How far away are your lights? Maybe you can lower them close?
Also, according to what you said, you have a pretty big temperature drop off between lights on and lights off. You have a 16Degree Farenheight difference between the two. Thats a pretty big drop. You should try and keep them both around 75.

But to tell you the truth, the plants dont look that bad...
I mean you wouldnt want it to continue any more, so the issue needs to be adressed. But over all, they'll do fine. They'll snap out of it and bounce right back.

S

shado

Looks to me like Nitogen Toxicity.

I found this online. Looks like it might apply to you.
I've highlited the parts which look like might apply to your pictures.

Now for having too much nitrogen in your growing mediums or soil. The plant will have like an overall DARK green look and have delayed maturity. Due to Nitrogen being involved in vegetative growth, to much nitrogen will result in tall plants with weak stems. New growth will be very lively and plant transpiration will be high, but not always. Nitrogen toxicity can be seen when there are very very dry conditions almost as if there was a drought, which may show a burning effect. If you give your plants ammonium based nutrients they may show NH4+ toxicity, which will show a smaller plant growth and lesions that occur on stems and roots, leaf margins that will roll downward. Also the big fan leaves will have “the claw” look. The tips will point down but the leaves will stay up as if when you bend your fingers downwards. Leaves can be twisted when growing… mainly new growths. Roots will be under developed along with the slowing of flowering. Yields will be decreased, because to much nitrogen in early stages of flowering slows down bud growth. Water uptake is slowing down from the vascular breakdown of the plants as well. Too much potassium and nitrogen will lock out calcium as well.

Here's another link I found.

Just my thought...
Also because that plant is soo tall i'd say its stretching for height..
How far away are your lights? Maybe you can lower them close?
Also, according to what you said, you have a pretty big temperature drop off between lights on and lights off. You have a 16Degree Farenheight difference between the two. Thats a pretty big drop. You should try and keep them both around 75.

But to tell you the truth, the plants dont look that bad...
I mean you wouldnt want it to continue any more, so the issue needs to be adressed. But over all, they'll do fine. They'll snap out of it and bounce right back.

Thanks for the reply Producer.
The soil i'm using has low to medium nutes in it and plant wasn't getting anything extra until 3 days ago but it started showing those marks a week ago.But the other 1 is fine has no problems. In what you posted, it says water intake would slow down but its probably taking more rather than less..

The plants aren't actually that tall for 2 weeks old, i think, they are just short of 5".. My lights are 3" - 4" away from plants, they were closer but i moved them as the plants are showing growth every few hrs.
also i know i have a big drop in temps, i'm using a closet in a spare room and i think it gets a bit of draft from the attic. But i'm not 100% sure of temp drop at lights off as i dont want distub the plants as i would need light to get a temp reading,i've only seem what temps are as light go on

S

shado

If it is nitogen toxicity, would i be best to remove the soiltab and give it a little flush??

M

MTM

Get you some pure blend pro and throw those tabs away,They are cheap and go along way for the price.They are also ph and ppm balanced.Makes it easy and fun bro!!!!!!

Id also flush those pretty good after removeing those tabs

S

shado

Get you some pure blend pro and throw those tabs away,They are cheap and go along way for the price.They are also ph and ppm balanced.Makes it easy and fun bro!!!!!!

Id also flush those pretty good after removeing those tabs

Thanks for the advice but I think i'm going to stick with those tabs for this grow. Cant really get any easier then popping them in the soil and add water every few days..lol ...And they have some very good reviews on the web site I got them from and from people on other forums. Also i'm on a budget and i want get some stronger lights.
I'll probably be getting something else for next time and compare them.

T

TreFarmer

IME Remove tabs, flush, repot to a little larger container, and wait:) theyll snap right out;)
PRODUCER. Nice post, very informative!

S

shado

A little while ago i went to remove the tab and flush,but because i used only a 1/4 of the tab it broke up in the soil so i couldn't remove it. I did give it a bit of a flush and i plan on repotting both into 7liter pots in the next day or so.I will give another flush before i repot that plant.
I was looking at the newest growth and there seems to be no discoloring on the new leaves, so hopefully it will say that way.

P

Producer

Thanks TreFarmer.
And im glad things look like they're getting better Shado!
And I noticed in your above comment you said "a bit of a flush"
Dont forget, when flushing you should usually use 3 times the amount of water of the size of the pot you're growing in for a proper flush.
So if you're using a 1 gallon pot you would flush with 3 gallons of water.
You really want to clean it out.
Keep it up though!
Keep the updates coming! I want to see how these badboys turn out!

S

shado

Thanks TreFarmer.
And im glad things look like they're getting better Shado!
And I noticed in your above comment you said "a bit of a flush"
Dont forget, when flushing you should usually use 3 times the amount of water of the size of the pot you're growing in for a proper flush.
So if you're using a 1 gallon pot you would flush with 3 gallons of water.
You really want to clean it out.
Keep it up though!
Keep the updates coming! I want to see how these badboys turn out!

ya a bit of a flush .lol.. the pots there in are about 500ml and i flushed with about half that.the soil was really soggy and i didn't want over do it as they are still young and didn't want put them under to much stress. I know i've seen alot of posts were ppl say 3 to 4 times amount of water of the pot size,but to me that sound like to much. would it not drowned the plant?
I keep updates coming

P

Producer

Well I guess they are a little young...So you're probably right.
But plants dont drown really. Its surprisingly hard to drown a plant. Unless the person is a complete idiot and theres constantly like 2 inches of water on top then ya it would drown. If theres so much water to point that its pooling than yes, thats how you'll flood them. but other than that you're good.

S

shado

It seems to be doing good after it got 4 times its normal water earlier, was just checking them and moving lights around a bit. still growing away and the smell has gotten stronger but not as strong as the kaya47. gonna try make a carbon filter during the week so the house wont smell to bad ..lol

P

Producer

Cool bro! Im glad they're bouncing back!
And goodluck with the carbon filter ;)

T

TreFarmer

ya a bit of a flush .lol.. the pots there in are about 500ml and i flushed with about half that.the soil was really soggy and i didn't want over do it as they are still young and didn't want put them under to much stress. I know i've seen alot of posts were ppl say 3 to 4 times amount of water of the pot size,but to me that sound like to much. would it not drowned the plant?
I keep updates coming
It takes several waterings while waterlogged to cause problems. BUT overwatering kills more established plants then underwatering. A waterlogged plant will cause a rash of problems and then kill it.
When flushing do it once heavy!! Even ten times the amount, the soil only holds so much , THEN drainage occurs. Most people stop when water trickles, you want it to pour out, and continue for a good amount of time. Just dont do this consecutive days while the soil is still soggy. That is the problem, is saturation before the water is used up.

S

shado

The plant with the yellow marks on the leaves, will those leaves stay like that or will the yellow fade??

P

Producer

Umm..well on the pictures I didnt really see any yellow leaves..
So its hard to tell..Usually they just stay yellow. But it depends how bad it is, if its not too bad it might re-gain its color

S

shado

Umm..well on the pictures I didnt really see any yellow leaves..
So its hard to tell..Usually they just stay yellow. But it depends how bad it is, if its not too bad it might re-gain its color

The leaves aren't fully yellow, they just have some small patches of greenish yellow on them.
Newest growth doesn't seen to have any marks yet.

Here is an updated pic. i marked the discoloring in a blue circle

ASM Day15 5

P

Producer

Ya its not that bad bro. They should re-gain color no problem.
Even if they dont the plant will grow and like you said, the new growths look fine so its okay.

Top Bottom