First time grower, have some questions

• Thread starter elusiveshame
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Yep, this is my first time! I figure I have enough weed currently to last me until Friday or Saturday, so when I start diving in, it'll be within the first week of curing. I know it's not the best time to smoke it, but it's either that, or buy some more. I'd like to avoid buying more, but it's also going to depend on how much there is when it's all trimmed up.
Keep in mind that while we all appreciate a well trimmed flower you don't need to trim for bag appeal. Leaving a little sugar leaf, IMO, is better than trimming it off unless you plan on saving your trim and making butter or some sort of extract.

I'm the first guy to complain if I'm smoking wood but some trims I see are removing too much and are missing out on the sugar leaf trichome heads.

Cypress66

Cypress66

Yep, this is my first time! I figure I have enough weed currently to last me until Friday or Saturday, so when I start diving in, it'll be within the first week of curing. I know it's not the best time to smoke it, but it's either that, or buy some more. I'd like to avoid buying more, but it's also going to depend on how much there is when it's all trimmed up.
Best part is not paying for the weed and it's probably going to be a better quality than what you will get on the street and you will know what it's been grown with and it's a very good hobby mostly with your hobbies your hand inside your pocket with the weed you will enjoy the benefits of a

E

elusiveshame

Keep in mind that while we all appreciate a well trimmed flower you don't need to trim for bag appeal. Leaving a little sugar leaf, IMO, is better than trimming it off unless you plan on saving your trim and making butter or some sort of extract.

I'm the first guy to complain if I'm smoking wood but some trims I see are removing too much and are missing out on the sugar leaf trichome heads.

I might try for "bag appeal", but I also don't mind a few sugar leaves either. Might just do a mix so that way when I share it with some friends, they get the good looking stuff.

Best part is not paying for the weed and it's probably going to be a better quality than what you will get on the street and you will know what it's been grown with and it's a very good hobby mostly with your hobbies your hand inside your pocket with the weed you will enjoy the benefits of a

For sure! As for the quality, I'm still buzzing off the 2 blunts I smoked 2 hours ago. Typically I don't get this doofy (even from dispensary weed, but they seemed to have gone downhill in quality over the last 2 years), but here I am xD

I also suspect a lot of the weed I get (both street and dispensary) has been sitting for a while, or was dried quickly as I *never* have to use a grinder - I can just crumble this shit with my fingers. Don't get me wrong, it does the job well enough, but if what I'm feeling tonight is an indication of what's to come as it cures, then I'll be in heaven haha.

And the smoke was smooth af. I wish I knew the strain/genetics of both. One smelled like a light/moderate lemon scent (indica/sativa hybrid, showed more sativa in the leaves), and the other was an indica dominant from what I could tell, and smelled like citrus.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I might try for "bag appeal", but I also don't mind a few sugar leaves either. Might just do a mix so that way when I share it with some friends, they get the good looking stuff.

For sure! As for the quality, I'm still buzzing off the 2 blunts I smoked 2 hours ago. Typically I don't get this doofy (even from dispensary weed, but they seemed to have gone downhill in quality over the last 2 years), but here I am xD

I also suspect a lot of the weed I get (both street and dispensary) has been sitting for a while, or was dried quickly as I *never* have to use a grinder - I can just crumble this shit with my fingers. Don't get me wrong, it does the job well enough, but if what I'm feeling tonight is an indication of what's to come as it cures, then I'll be in heaven haha.

And the smoke was smooth af. I wish I knew the strain/genetics of both. One smelled like a light/moderate lemon scent (indica/sativa hybrid, showed more sativa in the leaves), and the other was an indica dominant from what I could tell, and smelled like citrus.
Welcome to Homegrown!☢️

E

elusiveshame

First plant down:
6C21C91A 18C0 4A0C 9CEE 04705747A667

This was the sativa dominant plant. Weight: 2.5 ounces (on a postal scale, so unsure about accuracy).

Still have the other plant to do

E

elusiveshame

Nice! Be sure not to skip the cure!

And welcome to harvesting. There is nothing quite like the pride and achievement of getting high on something you grew yourself.
B42D9F11 79FB 4514 998D 1814B8DD9312

Already ahead of you 😛

Feels nice. Hopefully the next trim session goes a bit faster lol

E

elusiveshame

Plant 2 (indica dom) has been trimmed:

694179E3 7F13 48BE AB8F 5F4DFAFDF7D9

B5280019 2DBF 4E4F 94C6 F72930703693

Weight: 2.75 ounce

Total: 5.25 ounces.

On the low end, this saves me $850, on the middle end, it saves me $950, and if I buy from the dispensary, it would save me $1,275

(Again, unsure of postal scale weight, so there could be some variance).

While it’s not as much as I was hoping for (was hoping for 8-10 ounces), I still feel good for getting as much as I did from random bag seeds.

E9D47140 A58F 411F 9624 3D5D0A14D44D

And there she is, all tucked up for a little rest :)

E

elusiveshame

Since this grow is done, I've been able to look back and reflect on some of the things I can do now to help future grows.

The first thing is to use more soil than I did. There was 4-5" of space between the top of the soil and the top of these 5 gallon pots. I think 2-3" should be plenty and still leaves room for top dressings if needed.

The next is to start LST earlier. I was a bit nervous when doing it, and while I don't think I did a bad job, I could've done a better job. That'll come with time and practice, though.

Going forward, I'll only be using 1 scrog net, and adjusting the height as necessary with the growth of the plants. I used 2 this time, and it was a pain to get the lower one off. Also, I'll never be using the wrong size again and "doubling" to make it fit.

Pollination - I think I attempted this a few days/a week too soon as I never saw any seed formation and growth.

I went a little light on defoliation throughout most of the grow, which I could've probably done more and been a little more vigilant about it (especially before switching to flower / early on in flower).

Trimming - this isn't going to be done indoor anymore lol. It took forever for my house to air out (and 12 hours later, there's still a slight hint of it). Greenhouse, or out on the deck if it's nice out, from now on. I also need to plan my time better as it took about 2.5 hours per plant. This could be due to my inexperience, so that time may decrease as I do it more

Even though I didn't get the 8-10 ounces I was hoping for, I'm still really happy with this experience.

Also, I do have to make a confession.... this grow was done in Miracle Grow. I completely avoided that as best I could as I kept reading how so many people hate on it and blame issues on it. FWIW, I used the moisture control potting soil (the $5 a bag stuff). I'm not sure what affect, if any, that had on this grow, but I don't see any reason to avoid it if it's the only thing in someones budget.

That said, I just finished a full blunt rolled with my spoils, and it smokes pretty darn well. Certainly not the best I've smoked, but better than a lot of the street weed I've purchased over the years. I can't say I'm disappointed at all with the results.

Thanks to everyone who's helped along the way and for those cheering me on! <3

Top Bottom