First Time Grower In Need Of Reassurance!

• Thread starter Yehti
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Yehti

Yehti

Hello all!

I guess I should start with the basics,
I'm running a 300W LED GrowStar light, no ventilation yet apart from a deskfan to move the air around. Only the one plant, came from a bag I purchased and decided to germinate. This was my first attempt at trying anything like this in my life in all honesty, but I am enjoying it every step of the way so far! The first few weeks were slow and tough, everything went wrong from overwatering to underwatering, nutrient burn then lockout... It was hard to say the least. After a while I got the hang of it and have been learning through the process, whether it be by research, reading things online from other grows or simple trial and error. I'm now 3 weeks into flowering as of today, and I must say I'm very happy, my worrying and sleepless nights are finally showing off in the form of glittering bud sites, covered with hazy white pistils. I'm using Canna Coco A+B, 4.5ml's of each into 1lt of tap water, then PH'd to 6.2 and never wanders. I'm thinking of buying some Bloombastic next week and adding that into the mix, though I don't know if it will have the same effect considering it should of really been added in this week for maximum benefit, or so I've heard through others. Some of you who have used Canna C-A+B before may be confused as to why I am using .5ml's more than the bottles recommend. It's because the stems started growing in a bright redish purple colour and the last time that happened it turned out I was undernuting it by a fair amount. I tried 5ml's of each to 1lt of water but the lass wasn't all to keen on it and decided to droop/get brighter stems and generally looked sad... I gave her a quick flush and left her for the night until my timer turned on. I noticed a small improvement the next morning but she was still a little droopy. This time I made up a batch of feed with 4.5ml's each, PH'd it to 6.2 exactly as always and within 35 minutes she was perking up again and losing the purple in the stems. I have no idea what this issue was, but I somehow fixed it and hope it won't happen again!
I've also been defoliating every so often when she gets a bit out of control seeing as 300W is on the small scale of growing lights and she is only in a fairly small 3ftx2ftx5ft homemade tent, the light can end up getting blocked out from the canopy a lot of the time. So far nothing I have cut off has stressed or harmed her in anyway, if anything I always see a huge boost of growth a day or two after clipping a few leaves off to expose bud sites and allow more like penetration.

Anyway, enough of my babbling. I will include some photos below, two of which will be a before and after defoliation comparison, I would appreciate any feedback or advice on. I'm overall just looking for some reassurance that I'm on the right track to producing some great buds from some more experienced folk.

Cheers!! :)

First time grower in need of reassurance
First time grower in need of reassurance 2
First time grower in need of reassurance 3
First time grower in need of reassurance 4
First time grower in need of reassurance 5
First time grower in need of reassurance 6
First time grower in need of reassurance 7
First time grower in need of reassurance 8
Homesteader

Homesteader

Looking good my friend. Not sure you need defo but shouldn't hurt much. I wouldn't do anymore unless it's to clean up underneath. Large older fans make much more sugar than young leaves do. Many defo people dont understand this and do the reverse. It is an advanced technique either way that doesn't really help the beginner

Yehti

Yehti

Thanks! :) I was reading very mixed things... Some were suggesting defoliation increases yield/volume and others were saying it was useless, then some were super against it to the point of insulting others o.O So thank you for a respectful, informative post. I will def keep that in mind, though I think she will be fine as she is from now on until harvest in a couple weeks/months.
As far as the strange nute issue goes, would you say it's normal for a plant to want more than the recommended dose or is it the sign of something bigger like a root problem or incoming deficiency? I'm also a little weirded out at the purple stems... Some have turned back to green, others are a weird green/purple/red mixture and others are nearly fully purple/red? Is this perhaps genetic or could it be linked to the nutrients?

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

Thanks! :) I was reading very mixed things... Some were suggesting defoliation increases yield/volume and others were saying it was useless, then some were super against it to the point of insulting others o.O So thank you for a respectful, informative post. I will def keep that in mind, though I think she will be fine as she is from now on until harvest in a couple weeks/months.
As far as the strange nute issue goes, would you say it's normal for a plant to want more than the recommended dose or is it the sign of something bigger like a root problem or incoming deficiency? I'm also a little weirded out at the purple stems... Some have turned back to green, others are a weird green/purple/red mixture and others are nearly fully purple/red? Is this perhaps genetic or could it be linked to the nutrients?
Personally i dont think defoliation is necessary with a plant or 2. Definitely is something that should be done when you have more than a couple of plants in a sea of green grow that has a thick canopy. But that is something that will be debated till the end of time haha. Looks great though! You are on the right track!

Yehti

Yehti

Personally i dont think defoliation is necessary with a plant or 2. Definitely is something that should be done when you have more than a couple of plants in a sea of green grow that has a thick canopy. But that is something that will be debated till the end of time haha. Looks great though! You are on the right track!

I see your point, I am just a naive newbie who wants some good quality buds just like everyone ;)
Thank you! Do you have any clue what could be causing the strange and seemingly random purpling/redding of some leaf stems? It doesn't SEEM like a deficiency as she is otherwise healthy, but it's strange nevertheless... I've heard some plants genetics allow them to develop more purple or red in their colours that 'average', though I thought that was specific strains... This is a bagseed that I was told came from a Northern Lights x Lemon Haze mix. How true this is, I don't know, but it holds up considering they are common strains where I live! (albeit, sometimes grown/dried rather shitty...)

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

I see your point, I am just a naive newbie who wants some good quality buds just like everyone ;)
Thank you! Do you have any clue what could be causing the strange and seemingly random purpling/redding of some leaf stems? It doesn't SEEM like a deficiency as she is otherwise healthy, but it's strange nevertheless... I've heard some plants genetics allow them to develop more purple or red in their colours that 'average', though I thought that was specific strains... This is a bagseed that I was told came from a Northern Lights x Lemon Haze mix. How true this is, I don't know, but it holds up considering they are common strains where I live! (albeit, sometimes grown/dried rather shitty...)
I wouldn't worry about it your main stalks, branches and leaves are were you would see problems. The stems coming off fan leaves always look like that for me. Unless you have discoloration in leaves or branches i wouldn't worry about fan leaf stems turning reddish purple. Although now i am curious why plants do this. Its happened on all of my strains even with very healthy plants

Yehti

Yehti

I wouldn't worry about it your main stalks, branches and leaves are were you would see problems. The stems coming off fan leaves always look like that for me. Unless you have discoloration in leaves or branches i wouldn't worry about fan leaf stems turning reddish purple. Although now i am curious why plants do this. Its happened on all of my strains even with very healthy plants

Hmm, very strange indeed! I will have to see if my next grow does the same, I'm wondering if the type of light and intensity might have anything to do with it?

Homesteader

Homesteader

LEDs seem to cause more purple and red pigmentation on exposed stems but only on strains that create anthocyanins. I love giving people more information than they ask for so here you are.:)

I think it is genetic though and nothing to worry about. Adding UV-A will probably increase this.

View attachment Anthocyanins.pdf
Homesteader

Homesteader

" The word Anthocyanin was created by a German botanist named Ludwig Marquart in 1835. The word "anthocyanin" is derived from two Greek words – anthos meaning Flower and Kyanos meaning blue, which translate to “Blue Flower.” Anthocyanins are water-soluble flavonoids which contain coloring pigment usually found in the epidermal layer of plants. The range of the color spectrum vary from blues and purples, to pinks and magentas depending on the pH. The anthocyanins are present within the vacuole of the cells in plants tissues, leaves, fruits, and flowers. The pigment can also travel up trichome stalks from the bract where the trichome is attached, and even sometimes within the trichome head itself. Anthocyanins are powerful pigments compounds, and cannabis only needs to produce small amounts of these chemicals to produce a strong color."

http://hightimes.com/grow/cannabis-anthocyanins-a-closer-look-at-the-color-purple-in-cannabis/

Yehti

Yehti

LEDs seem to cause more purple and red pigmentation on stems but only on strains that create anthocyanins. I love giving people more information than they ask for so here you are.:)

I think it is genetic though and nothing to worry about.
Fascinating! Adding to that, I just found this link which explain this purple colouring very well myself,
http://hightimes.com/grow/cannabis-anthocyanins-a-closer-look-at-the-color-purple-in-cannabis/
Turns out it's almost like sunscreen to protect the Photosynthetic tissue and to act as a form of sunscreen for the plant. Interestingly as I thought and you clarified, it is intensified by LED lighting!

Yehti

Yehti

" The word Anthocyanin was created by a German botanist named Ludwig Marquart in 1835. The word "anthocyanin" is derived from two Greek words – anthos meaning Flower and Kyanos meaning blue, which translate to “Blue Flower.” Anthocyanins are water-soluble flavonoids which contain coloring pigment usually found in the epidermal layer of plants. The range of the color spectrum vary from blues and purples, to pinks and magentas depending on the pH. The anthocyanins are present within the vacuole of the cells in plants tissues, leaves, fruits, and flowers. The pigment can also travel up trichome stalks from the bract where the trichome is attached, and even sometimes within the trichome head itself. Anthocyanins are powerful pigments compounds, and cannabis only needs to produce small amounts of these chemicals to produce a strong color."

Just linked the exactly same link as you, my bad :P

Yehti

Yehti

Very! I have never personally had the honour to see a dank, fat purple bud ever in my life... I've had buds with some purple leaves on every now and then, but never anything more than that.
I'm now wondering if this plant could produce/has the potential to produce some coloured buds aside from the usual green nugs w/ orange pistils?

Homesteader

Homesteader

Colder temps will bring it out later in flower some but if you really want those colors you should look for the genetic traits from breeders.

Yehti

Yehti

Colder temps will bring it out later in flower some but if you really want those colors you should look for the genetic traits from breeders.
Ahh, I understand. :) I was thinking of either Grapefruit Diesel or Strawberry Kush for my next grow, do you have any experience with either strains and would they be fairly straight forward for a second grow in my newbie hands? :P

Yehti

Yehti

Also, if anyone knows of any strains that produce purple buds almost for sure and are on the sweet/fruity side in smell and taste, feel free to let me know! :)

Yehti

Yehti

Urkle's Girl. ( Girl scout cookies x Purple Urkle )

How are yields with that strain? I've heard a lot of purp bud has pretty low yield and long flowering time, not sure if this is true or not.. I've just been looking at some GDP seeds which have caught my interest, though I'm not sure an unexperienced grower like myself would be able to grow it to its full potential...

Latest posts

Top Bottom