First Time Grower

• Thread starter OGSWAGGYP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

OGSWAGGYP

Hi al

Well as stated this will be my first time growing and I basically need help with every aspect. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos but I honestly still don’t know exactly where to start. My goal is to do an indoor grow for personal use. 2-3 plants max at a time. I can’t dedicate an entire room to it. So, I plan on using a nice sized grow box. This is where my first dilemma presents itself. Budget is a factor. I can’t afford to spend thousands on a grow box. I’ve seen armoires made into boxes and that seems like an option because I could buy one for less than $100. I own the home so being super stealth isn’t the #1 priority. As long as the smell is bearable. I plan to purchase some auto flowering seeds from fastbuds because I’ve read that autos are easy for beginners. I do know I plan on using soil as well. Those are really the few things I’m sure of. With this info can someone help me with the most economical way to put together a nice growing system? I’d be glad to even be pointed in the direction of a good thread or video tutorial. Thanks in advance.

MW7945

MW7945

If you had an overall budget what area would it be around? Grow tents aren't expensive. I'd recommend a 4x4' personally with a 6" exhaust fan.

Your biggest decision will be what type of lighting you use. I use LED, but a good LED won't come cheap. MH, HID, and HPS will be cheaper initial investments but will run you higher energy bills. Bulbs for these will need to be replaced every so often as well.

From there you really just need a good exhaust fan (4" for a 3x3 tent 6" for a 4x4 tent) to keep fresh air moving in, and if you're concerned with smell carbon filters for exhaust fans aren't all too expensive either. Would recommend getting a fan that has a dial to adjust speed. I never have to run mine on anything higher than low.

I grow in coco though, so I'm not much help on nutrients or anything related specific to soil.

My advice, don't try to do everything as cheaply as possible. That's what I did for my first grow and I've essentially replaced every single thing I used on my first grow from my tent to my light.

On top of that you need something to test PPM and pH. Do you plan on using RO water, or tap water?

Get a digital temp/humidity meter to put in the tent as well. Make sure it's staying in the right temperature/humidity range. This could mean you need a heater, humidifier, or dehumidifier potentially. Or, maybe you won't need any of them.

O

OGSWAGGYP

Are there tents with lights and fans included?

If you had an overall budget what area would it be around? Grow tents aren't expensive. I'd recommend a 4x4' personally with a 6" exhaust fan.

Your biggest decision will be what type of lighting you use. I use LED, but a good LED won't come cheap. MH, HID, and HPS will be cheaper initial investments but will run you higher energy bills. Bulbs for these will need to be replaced every so often as well.

From there you really just need a good exhaust fan (4" for a 3x3 tent 6" for a 4x4 tent) to keep fresh air moving in, and if you're concerned with smell carbon filters for exhaust fans aren't all too expensive either. Would recommend getting a fan that has a dial to adjust speed. I never have to run mine on anything higher than low.

I grow in coco though, so I'm not much help on nutrients or anything related specific to soil.

My advice, don't try to do everything as cheaply as possible. That's what I did for my first grow and I've essentially replaced every single thing I used on my first grow from my tent to my light.

On top of that you need something to test PPM and pH. Do you plan on using RO water, or tap water?

Get a digital temp/humidity meter to put in the tent as well. Make sure it's staying in the right temperature/humidity range. This could mean you need a heater, humidifier, or dehumidifier potentially. Or, maybe you won't need any of them.

K

kansabis

I'd go with a tent setup like MW recommended and second the piece that your light will be the most important decision and the rest of your equipment should be built around it.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Once you have an idea of what you want to work with, check Craigslist and buy most of your stuff used. The tent, fans, meters, pots, and like can be had for some good deals, from people that bought all the gear, did one run and failed or hated it and now they want to get out of the game. I would recommend buying your light/ballast/hood new, but everything else can be bought used. Clean it up really well before you put it into use and you should be fine. Good luck.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Be very cautious buying used items. You never know if the prior grower had spider mites, broad mites, russet mites, pm, or etc. You don' want to save 200 on used items only to spend 500 and 6 months battling a bug or pm issue.

G

ganjagrowa

821A0E30 8050 4BF0 BB71 C533BFF3661F
316505AD 02FD 4018 AC8C 49A6133ED137
8674846A B57A 4EE1 9D86 11141EBBF791
E54E315B AA56 47A4 9379 C84DAB29A3A7
D49D6401 42A5 4005 ACE5 559A3AE05897
Iv been thru tons of forums and been getting alot of answers, Still cant figure out whats going on with my plant, growing rapidly and healthy but the only thing is theres yellow blothces only on a few leaves and just the edges of those leaves, everyones saying its healthy let it grow dont worry about it, can any of you give me some insight on what to do, Plants about 30 days from seed, growing in 2 gallon pot with fox farm ocean forest soil, not using anything but just watering it, and using the nutes that are already in the soil. using 3 mini t5 grow lights at about 12 inches away, 24watt 6400k, i thought maybe a root bound problem, i can see two roots poking out of the bottom drain holes, not sure if transplanting will fix the yellow blotches, please help, my head hurts will all this, Alot of the older lower growth has the yellowing, nothing on the new growth that iv noticed, not sure if its slowly moving up the plant or not, someone help, thanks in advance

G

ganjagrowa

If you're going to worry about every tiny little spot or blemish on your leaves you're going to go crazy in the next 3 months.

lol yes, first grow thats why i wanna know everything thats going on lol, and would be great to know how to fix problems as they occure along the way, any idea if maybe that yellowing could be a ph problem, i have not tested my water as i just use normal tap water,

MW7945

MW7945

lol yes, first grow thats why i wanna know everything thats going on lol, and would be great to know how to fix problems as they occure along the way, any idea if maybe that yellowing could be a ph problem, i have not tested my water as i just use normal tap water,

Without knowing variables such as your water ppm, pH, room RH/temp, and so on it's impossible to say.

chemistry

chemistry

Would these bloches be any were near where you pour in your nuits? Look like nuit splashes from here.

G

ganjagrowa

Without knowing variables such as your water ppm, pH, room RH/temp, and so on it's impossible to say.

my grow tent temps are from 72-76 with RH at about 52-60%
have been watering with 2 cups of tap water every 3-4 days

K

kansabis

In that soil I wouldn't worry bout your pH too much and I think its doing just fine,it may be getting close to root binding but you can always put into bigger pot if you wanna veg longer and in the next week or 2 you may have to start with some low nute feeds but ff you can run 4-6wks just water in my experience. Keep doing what your doing and only worry if it becomes notably worse,trying to fix problems before there really is one causes more problems,but that's the human way right. ;)

MGG Nubie

MGG Nubie

It's totally alright to have concerns about small issues with your grow. Stop the issue before it takes over. But I see a healthy strong plant. It looks like it's in a 1gal planter? I don't think it's to big for it's home right now, so that shouldn't be an issue. I like chemistry's theory of nute splash. I see the one lower leaf might have been in your soil when feeding. I like the aeration holes in your planter. I do the same thing in my 5 and 7 gallon containers to help keep standing water off the roots. I do coco with 30+% pearlite, 10% vermiculite and stones on the bottom. I go dry or light every 3 days or so. My root structure and color has been outstanding in last grows using this method. Plus if a need to flush because of an overdose of for the end of your grow the water flows nicely to clean out the salts. Your looking good. Keep it up.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Even a drop of plan water can act as a lens and burn a spot in the leaf. I agree, nothing to worry about. Nice healthy plant, good work.

Top Bottom