First time growing could use (lots of) advice

• Thread starter Jedsdead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FatFarm

How big did you get pots and how bigs your polytunel

Iv got autos, nothern lights and critical. They seem good for nothern Europe climate. I’ll research your strain now. What seed company did you get them off

And wait till the top goes dry before watering. You don’t need to feet for a couple weeks yet. Your seed will feed the plant

R

RGWD0202

They appear to have a little bit of a stretch going but not too serious if they begin to fall over use something to support them until they are freestanding again. Looks like a good start. Autos can be a bit tricky for a first time grow but you’ll be good. A lot of help will be given on here. Just ask if something doesn’t seem right

R

Ranoboy

If you're growing photoperiods, start in smaller containers and transplant into bigger containers. If you're growing Autoflowers, start them in your final pot size.

I germinate with a 14-16 hour soak and then use the paper towel method.

After I have a tap root, I plant into solo cups. I use only a spray bottle filled with bottled spring water to water the plants, this helps prevent overwatering. I use no supplement nutrients during this time.

Once I have a few nodes and a root system, I transplant into my final 3 gallon pot. Some people use bigger pots and will transplant more then once. I usually don't start adding supplement nutrients until they have established in their final pot.

I use 100% Fox Farm Happy Frog soil until I transplant and then I use 50% Fox Farm Happy Frog and 50% Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.

There's so many different soils, nutrients, ammendment, etc. You're going research and get tons of different information from different sources and members, just try to find the best information you can for your style of growing and make adjustments to your personal situation as you go.

You definitely came to the right place, there's some great people here that you will learn a ton from!

Good luck!!!
Hi there
You seen very knowledgeable, im growing 50 lemon skunk hybrid auto flower from seeds in a 10x10 room, im a first time grower so can you possibly give me information on potting from seed, what mix to pot with best a and b nutruents fir suto flower hybrid seeds and what dize led light system i need to purchase
Thank you

Newty

Newty

Hi there
You seen very knowledgeable, im growing 50 lemon skunk hybrid auto flower from seeds in a 10x10 room, im a first time grower so can you possibly give me information on potting from seed, what mix to pot with best a and b nutruents fir suto flower hybrid seeds and what dize led light system i need to purchase
Thank you
I like to think I have some knowledge and have helped some people around here, I appreciate that you think so!

I wish I could give you a solid answer for growing Autoflowers, I've not had the opportunity to grow Autos and currently all my experience comes from photoperiods.

I would start your own thread so other members take notice, then you will get lots of good advice for the grow you're trying to do.

As far as lighting goes, I'm thinking you're going to need to be between 4000-5000 watts. My bigger tent is 8x4, 1200 watts is a good number for my size tent but it's only 32 Sq ft while your space is 100 Sq ft so to take full advantage of the space you have you will need more then 3x what my tent wattage should be.

F

FatFarm

Also Jed, I wouldn’t use the vermiculite when you repot them. It holds moisture and risk root rot

And for future tips you should plant seedlings into the pot they’ll do their cycle in. It’s photos you start in cups

J

Jedsdead

Good stuff thanks for that, I didn’t really Have a choice about starting in the cups it’s still very cold here at the moment and I have to use small cups to start with as I couldn’t have the big pots in the house or I’d be murdered by my wife

J

Jedsdead

How big did you get pots and how bigs your polytunel

Iv got autos, nothern lights and critical. They seem good for nothern Europe climate. I’ll research your strain now. What seed company did you get them off

And wait till the top goes dry before watering. You don’t need to feet for a couple weeks yet. Your seed will feed the plant
Got seeds from the funky skunk shop in cork I think, I’m only growing 3 and the tunnel is 20 feet by 12 feet I think (roughly)
And thank you for taking the time to research the seeds for me and all of your help it’s really appreciated 👍👍

J

Jedsdead

Sorry forgot to mention the pots are 40 litres fabric pots

J

Jedsdead

Ok latest update,

Seedlings are 10 days old now (3 autos) in cups and in my opinion looking a bit leggy but the weather has been utter shite and the one thing missing from the sunny window is sun.
Firsts off I think I should have gotten some lights to get the seedlings up and running but maybe next time

I now know that I should start autos where they are gonna finish but live and learn. These plants are going into a poly tunnel land I need a bit of guidance on this next part.
So questions…
1 should I move them into the tunnel now or wait for them to get stronger?
2 how resilient are seedlings to cold?
3 how do I prepare the fabric pots, as in do I soak them or what ?

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I blast mine with all the light possible. From day 1. Been doing it like this since 1977-78. 1000w HID at 24 inches in a 4 x 4 space. I also feed them, from day 1. Maybe 10% strength.

I soak my seeds in distilled/reverse osmosis water, until I see any kind of a tail. If I see any tiny bit of white/tail,. I put the seed into either an 18oz Solo Cup, or a 32oz Uline Deli container. Though the Deli Containers are clear, I put aluminum foil around them, though its extra work, I like the 32oz of medium. It makes for 1 heck of a root ball. I use Promix BX as my medium. Though I didnt use Promix back then.

I will first mist the top of the medium, so its fairly wet at least about 3/8th inch deep. I then, take a toothpick, and make a slight hole, in the middle of the medium, and place the sharp end of the seed down, and while the top, will still be above the soil-line, I gently push the seed down, until the medium covers the top, by about 1/8-1/16th of an inch. I then respray, and this does 2 things. It of course gives more moisture, and second, it makes sure the top of the seed, is buried under enough medium, to not be exposed, and makes sure, the top also stays wet, which makes it easier for the embryo to emerge. I want to keep them really moist, and humid/warm-78f-82f, which helps soften the overall shell. But not soaked.

I then, get some Saran Wrap, and place it on the openings cups. I first mist the underside, to help it stick to the cup, and then, spray the top, to help weigh it down. I may do this in longer rows, or individually.

I then, place them under a 1000w HID, which can help with warmth, especially in winter, and have a box fan, blowing a slight breeze, between the top of the cups, and the bulb. I keep temps at 78f-82f, and as soon as I see a seedling, breaking the top of the medium, I take the Saran Wrap off, of that particular container. I then let the seedling, grow towards the light. IMHO, its a good way to help break them in, to ever increasing light intensities. Im also a believer in that, you have to get all of the possible fresh air exchange you can. Its for sure a recipe for disaster, if you have extremely high light levels, and not much better, than average air exchange, or they will suffer light stress, or something else ect.
I figure they get blasted from day one, at the Equator, and add in High Altitude, Its hard to convince me, hardcore light, in the seedling stage, isnt beneficial. Though, I do feel, some strains wont tolerate really really high umol, because they didnt evolve, in that way. But I believe most anything 100% sativa, or sativa dominate, that blasting with a lot of light, will be beneficial.
I usually use either a 1000w Hortilux HPS, or a Hortilux Blue. If I use the Blue, I have it at 20 inches vs 24 for the HPS. If I use a 1150w Gavita Dual End, I use it at 40 inches, and never closer than 36in. Saame goes for adult plants. One cant let get most plants any closer than 36in, with the Gavita. I usually go 40 inches for them.

IMHO, putting them in a window, encourages stretching. Might be ok, to get them to break soil, through a window. But after that, its too weak for weed.

F

FatFarm

They have a 100 watt led light on Amazon very love the brand for about 50 euro or you could pick up a t5 light for a bit cheaper or a cfl light for about 40 euro

You could get a light a put them under that 18 hours a day till about June and get growth on them and then put them out

J

Jedsdead

Yeah I’m getting a light from a grow shop nearby, I had one seed left over so I think I’ll germinate it and expand my weed empire to 4 plants. Just wish I had gotten the light before I started but as the grinch says “that’s what these tests are for”
Thanks as always for the input 👍

J

Jedsdead

Ok I got a light for my babies and broke my fourth and final seed a few days ago just in case (and because I couldn’t resist) so this one is starting life under the light.

So a question, seedlings are about 3 weeks old and some purpleish blue starting to show on them, is this normal??

IMG 0399
IMG 0400
M

Maudsworld

Hey Jedsdead - I’m a first timer (in the west 🇮🇪) and want to use the polytunnel to get mine going. This thread is very helpful so far… I’m only germinating my 3 seeds at the minute so hoping they’ll break and I’ll get them into pots at the weekend. Any tips to get started? Is the light a must buy? Was hoping to just give it a lash as natural as possible and see how I go. Mine are auto seeds too.

J

Jedsdead

Defo get a light, I got one from west coast grow house on Tuam Road €70ish I’ll post pics of the difference it’s massive

J

Jedsdead

The big spindly one had no light to start with the little one did its much stronger and darker and healthier in every way. It got light from germination before it even shed the seed casing. This is only until strong enough (and warm enough) to go into the tunnel. Timer plug €6.50 18 hours on 6 off you won’t regret it

Top Bottom