FIRST TIME HYDRO GROWER - all advice welcome. Started germination last week

• Thread starter citygrower18
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
citygrower18

citygrower18

Growing for my first time ever, and decided to go HYDRO DWC 4 buckets with no reservoir and a aeration bubbler system. At this point I have germinated seeds with rockwool about 4 or 5 days ago and they are starting to grow about 1/2 inch to 2inches from the rockwool.

I am trying to figure out the next step as I plan to set up my 32x32 tent in the next couple of days.
I have 2 1000W giixer LED lights (full spectrum)

How do I know when exactly is best to transfer rockwool to pellets? And are there any tips for putting in clay pellets and adding water in any way?

Will have more questions to follow regularly, any and all help much appreciated

cheers

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Growing for my first time ever, and decided to go HYDRO DWC 4 buckets with no reservoir and a aeration bubbler system. At this point I have germinated seeds with rockwool about 4 or 5 days ago and they are starting to grow about 1/2 inch to 2inches from the rockwool.

I am trying to figure out the next step as I plan to set up my 32x32 tent in the next couple of days.

How do I know when exactly is best to transfer rockwool to pellets? And are there any tips for putting in clay pellets and adding water in any way?

cheers
When you see roots transplant. Put 2" of hydroton down then set the cube on top and fill the rest. Waterline should be about 1" below the net pot so the bubbles breaking the surface lightly mist the net pot. Top feed 1 cup a day of nutrient solution until the roots hit the water. Your ppm should be about 150-300.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

cheers

Welcome to The Farm @citygrower18 🍻 🥂 I hope you find The Farm hospitable and welcoming.

Remember, the only stupid question; is the one not asked 🥂🍻

Happy Growing & Happy Farming!!! 😎

citygrower18

citygrower18

When you see roots transplant. Put 2" of hydroton down then set the cube on top and fill the rest. Waterline should be about 1" below the net pot so the bubbles breaking the surface lightly mist the net pot. Top feed 1 cup a day of nutrient solution until the roots hit the water. Your ppm should be about 150-300.

I realized I have "10 liters Viastone grow rocks" which I believe is slightly different from hydroton or other clay pellets?
I think it will be alright using these but maybe hydroton may be a better medium and worth the investment?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I realized I have "10 liters Viastone grow rocks" which I believe is slightly different from hydroton or other clay pellets?
I think it will be alright using these but maybe hydroton may be a better medium and worth the investment?
Will check them out.

citygrower18

citygrower18

OK- added photos below

Go my first leaves today that I put in the pebbles and buckets last night. I currently have 2 buckets set up with some bag seeds that I first germinated. 2 more feminized seeds to follow that just started germinating, white widow and maui wowie.

SO I guess the next step is to add the nutrients? Aqua man, you say 1 cup per day and top feed. Do I pour on/around the seedling, or just on the rocks, or directly in the water under the cover?

I have a regular nutrient set, flora bloom, grow, and micro. I add them all together is that right? and I have trying to figure out the ratio/proportion of each but really unsure. There is about 4 gallons of water in my 5 gallon buckets, so do I mix all the nutrients to make 1 cup?

61478801791  BD574C5E DF23 4884 ABD6 7E611E4A76B3
61478800842  454B1D04 7046 4658 8148 6E98DF355C28
IMG 1047

IMG 1047
citygrower18

citygrower18

Asking below about nutrients.
Haven't checked ppm yet

citygrower18

citygrower18

I read this and I think I understand now, add the small amount of nutrients to a cup of water each day, and add over rocks. Do this for each bucket...

Going to follow this:

citygrower18

citygrower18

How close are the lights and what are they? May be a bit close

2x 1000w Giixer lights, only have one running at the moment for seedling. But plan on getting the other going soon. The light is maybe 20-30 inches away at the moment, can get specific with it today. Any recommendation for light distance the first couple of weeks?

WATER:
Using NYC tap water from my hose, pretty clean but also purchased 3 stage reverse osmosis system. So using that filtered water starting yesterday.

citygrower18

citygrower18

I have not read/researched much about ppm yet, so I am not too sure about monitoring that yet or its importance. I guess the more nutrients means the more PPM. Ordering PPM meter now.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have not read/researched much about ppm yet, so I am not too sure about monitoring that yet or its importance. I guess the more nutrients means the more PPM. Ordering PPM meter now.
Massively important are ppm and pH meters in hydro. They are your plants lifeline. You may also need ph down.

For now use 50/50 tap and RO to be on the safe side. Then add 2ml of each per gal of water so you have about 3.5 gal of water so that would be 7ml of each.

citygrower18

citygrower18

So I have been monitoring PH closely and have a PPM meter now. I have been keeping my water Ph between 5.5-6.5 so far. RO machine I flushed for almost an hour according to directions, water Ph comes out around 6.2 from RO. I used only RO water to fill up my buckets and ppm is low around 15 only right now. No nutrients have been added yet.

Thanks for your support again Aqua man. I will be measuring how much water I have in my 2 buckets today. Pour it in another bucket and add the nutrients. Then I top feed it through the pebbles back into the bucket with the plant. Using 2ml of each per gallon.

Got both lights running and are closer now, maybe 12-16 inches away.
Turned AC on, now temp is around 72degrees. Water temp around 75 degrees.

CHEERS!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I have been monitoring PH closely and have a PPM meter now. I have been keeping my water Ph between 5.5-6.5 so far. RO machine I flushed for almost an hour according to directions, water Ph comes out around 6.2 from RO. I used only RO water to fill up my buckets and ppm is low around 15 only right now. No nutrients have been added yet.

Thanks for your support again Aqua man. I will be measuring how much water I have in my 2 buckets today. Pour it in another bucket and add the nutrients. Then I top feed it through the pebbles back into the bucket with the plant. Using 2ml of each per gallon.

Got both lights running and are closer now, maybe 12-16 inches away.
Turned AC on, now temp is around 72degrees. Water temp around 75 degrees.

CHEERS!
Can't give them just RO bud. Have to add back 100ppm calmag and 2ml per gal of each nutrient. With such low salinity the osmotic pressure will be way to low and you will see issues pretty quick

citygrower18

citygrower18

OK, changed the water to 50-50 RO and NYC tap water, about 1.75 gallons each, 3.5 total. Added 7ML of each nutrient bottle to each of the 2 buckets/plants.
Check PPM and it was too high about 320ppm. So I added about another 1000-1400mls of RO water to get the PPM down to about 290ish. Water level me be a tad high but not really...
Think I am good with the water now, but how do I add more going forward. Aquaman you said about a cup topfed daily, with the same ratio of nutrients...

kept Ph around 5.8
Water temp is good at around 73.4 degrees
Having an ISSUE maintaining the air temperature. I was reading it should be around 65-68 degrees in the tent, but I cant get it under 70, in fact its closer to 80 degrees under the lights. I also have a fan going in the tent and AC running at 60 degrees in the room.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

OK, changed the water to 50-50 RO and NYC tap water, about 1.75 gallons each, 3.5 total. Added 7ML of each nutrient bottle to each of the 2 buckets/plants.
Check PPM and it was too high about 320ppm. So I added about another 1000-1400mls of RO water to get the PPM down to about 290ish. Water level me be a tad high but not really...
Think I am good with the water now, but how do I add more going forward. Aquaman you said about a cup topfed daily, with the same ratio of nutrients...

kept Ph around 5.8
Water temp is good at around 73.4 degrees
Having an ISSUE maintaining the air temperature. I was reading it should be around 65-68 degrees in the tent, but I cant get it under 70, in fact its closer to 80 degrees under the lights. I also have a fan going in the tent and AC running at 60 degrees in the room.
Your perfect man. Even 320 is close enough.

It's not air temps that matter, leaf temps do. If I remember right you are led correct? 80f is likely almost perfect for good leaf temps. I run my room at 84f ish. Humidity is also important. If ya feel like a good read on how temps and humidity affect your grow and want to calculate VPD I made a thread here.

Make another post for the water changes and such in a sec.

Top Bottom