First Time Indoor Grow 3k Sq Ft

• Thread starter WestsideCali
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

WestsideCali

Hey Farmers-

Me and a partner are starting a new project from scratch. Our budget was $80,000 and we were quick to learn that you should always have extra finances on hand....but I'll get into that later.

It took much deliberation of wether or not to go into a small house to cultivate or if we could afford a warehouse. We spent about a month shopping around and were coming up very short with finding a 420 friendly warehouse around 3k square feet that was in our budget. We wanted to be transparent with the landlord to avoid issues down the road. Finally I found a broker (I can give you details if you need it just message me) who solely works on finding warehouse spaces in CA, NV, OR and WA. He had a set fee and once I gave up on looking myself I decided to utilize him. He email blasted me with about 200 locations in my area and in the next 2 weeks I finally found the perfect location with a landlord who was open to cultivation. The plan is to do as much of the project ourselves so Im hoping this forum will help us along our ways. Wish us luck and well be sure to keep the thread as up to date as we can.

First stages were construction. We were working with an open area and decided to do 2x Flower rooms and 1x veg rooms.

The Flower rooms were each 40' long and 12' wide with 10' ceilings. In order to utilize the most space we would put a row of 4' tables all the way down each side of the rooms and leave a 4' walkway in between. These numbers allowed us to do 20x 1000w de lights each covering 4x4 area in each of the flower rooms for 4o lights total between the two flower rooms. After some additional research we found out that we can move to a 4x5 coverage with each of the double-enders so we migrated to only needing 16 lights in each flower room instead of the original 20. This reduction in 8 lights saved some money upfront, reduced heat in the rooms while not impacting the yield. The Veg room is going to be half the size so only 20' long and 12' wide with the same general layout.

Construction wasn't the worst....but it did suck. Some pictures below of start to finish. We did plywood on the inside and outside of each wall to create an air pocket to work as an insulation for heat/ac. The ceiling was plywood with R19 insulation. All of the seams were filled with painters caulk and window foam. We painted all the walls with flat white paint (two coats) and after some deliberation decided it was best to build some 18" tables so that were not working on the ground.

We decided to go with Nanolux 1000w DE instead of Gavita for this grow. They were only $300 a piece so we saved about $150 on each unit and have heard good things with the Nanolux units. They also have a usb drive that plugs into each unit so you can set them up remotely instead of running ethernet wire from each light. We went with 8 T5 units in the veg room (4' long with 8 bulbs each).

We had a 200amp single phase panel and 100am 3-phase panel available to us. We are going to be doing most of the work from the 200 phase panel. 200 phase panel is going to 3 separate 100amp sub panels (one for each room). The veg room panel will also feed the AC units which I will go into down the road.

As you can see the room is finally coming together. We are still waiting for some of the equipment to come in but as you can see we hung all the Nanolux and T5 lights on draw strings. This should allow us to adjust the height and really dial in for the best yield as we go along. Each flower room has 6 hurricane fans on the walls and 2 ceiling fans to really get the plants moving and some good air circulation. We are in the process of hanging some giant charcoal filters in the room to make sure we keep the smell as controlled as possible.

Throughout the next week we should be finished with the electrical, RO system and AC units. Each flower room will have 9 tons of AC and 3tons for the veg room.

Since we are coming to a close we decided to start shopping around for teens. We are hoping to find some through our local contacts so we can jump into our SEA-OF-GREEN layout. We are estimating needing about 220 teens and I know the average price is about 20-22 bucks a piece so by the next post I will hopefully have those in hand and under the T5 getting ready to turn within two weeks from now. Expect some updates on that in the near future.

W

WestsideCali

Now that construction was complete we shifted our focus to getting some teens into veg (about 220 for SOG) and getting our AC units installed. We were able to find teens for $15 a piece for OG strain. We put them all under the 8 T5's (8bulbs each). this gave us a few final weeks to finish off the AC and Electrical work for the warehouse. We put in 9 tons (3x 3ton Mini split units) in each flower room. We have a 300 amp panel available to us. We ran 3 subpanels from the main panel, one for each room. The electrical and AC (after many hiccups) is now all set. I was able to get each AC unit for only $1500 and installed them myself with only $400 of tools. Ive never done it before but it was very very easy even for a first timer. If you need any support with either let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. Each subpanel is wired for 100amps using a 2/0 2/0 2/0 w/ g service entry cable. All the panels, fuses and wiring cost us around $1000 and by doing it ourselves we saves Thousands.

W

WestsideCali

As you can see we planted the teens straight into a 6x6 planter and filled them with cocoa/perlite mix. They will stay in these planters throughout the entire process. We understand they are on the smaller side but the roots should ball up inside the planters and hopefully allow a good growth. We were quick to see some discoloration in the plants so after a quick look we noticed that we were faced with Spider Mites!

We did a 3 step process to try and eliminate them. We hit them top and bottom with mighty wash with the lights turned off for 4 hours. 3 days later I suited up and hit them top and bottom with Avid with the lights off again for 4 hours. 3 days after that we sealed the room with them lights off and let loose a can of PR Fogger. This process seemed to do the trick (or so we thought) to get rid of the mites.

After 2 more weeks we were ready to take cuttings and make clones. (We didnt do well) Then after 1 more week we moved the teens to Flower under the nanolux DE 1000

W

WestsideCali

So as you can see we have 18" tables and 10' ceilings. 6x hurricane fans and 2x ceiling fans with green leds if we need to work when the lights are off. We use titan regulator for c02 keeping it at 1100-1500 ppm during the day time and it shuts off during the dark. We have a 12 inch max fan with carbon filter pulling the air through the back to scrub the air. All of the lights are plugged into 2x Titan Control Helios 8 light box. The boxes are wired directly to the main panel off of a 50amp breaker. They are set for a 30 minute sunrise, 11 hour 1000w and 30 minute sunset for a total of 12 hours and 12 hours dark.

Another major factor that I missed to fill everyone in on is our feeding schedule and nutrients that we use. I attached some photos of the VEG and Flower Feeding Schedule below: Let me know what you think!

W

WestsideCali

After only one week in Flower we realized that we were having some good growth but were facing some discoloration in the leaves. After a quick look we noticed that we were infested with Mites again. We were torn on which route would be best to control them. We were reading on Might Bomb, Hot Shot No Pest Strips and finally decided to utilize a mixture of a heavy dose of Nuke Em. We just hit them today during the dark and were curious what would be best to follow up with in 3 days? Should we hit them again with Nuke Em? Can we throw another fogger in now that they are a week into flower?

Lastly what can we do to understand the discoloration of these leaves? Does anyone have any idea of what could cause this?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Hit em with mighty wash in an atomizer every 3 days for a week or two. No more mites. Maybe Raise your rh a bit, ime spider mites like hot, dry conditions and stressed out plants.

W

WestsideCali

You can see the discoloration and mites on the photos. We recently did a flush and noticed the plants were taking in much of the ppm of the nutrients. We fed them heavily wi
I'm guessing you guys are new to this.
Yes...not beating around the bush. Not gonna count a small tent as the credentials required to being a professional. Spider Mites are our largest concern currently.

W

WestsideCali

We hit all the plants yesterday with the strong dosage of Nuke Em (photo below). When we checked on them today the mites were still active. We sprayed the tops and bottom of the leaves thoroughly. We are 8 days into flower...is it to late to light off a Pyrethrum TR Fogger? We dont have any real buds produced yet and are desperate to get rid of the mites. Who has any experience with Hot Shot No pest strips? We have heard pros and cons? Should I just keep trying the Nuke Em? Please help

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Not real sure myself, I use a paint sprayer but at your scale I'd use a Hudson atomizer. Give it a Google.

N

noone88

Okay off the top of my head:

You shouldn't be using hydrogen peroxide in your application because you are killing off any beneficials in your medium.

You need to raise your DE fixtures all the way to the ceiling.

I don't have experience with Heavy 16, but from the looks of your leaves, you are calmag deficient. I don't know if it is because you are not using enough calmag or if you are experiencing overwatering/root health issues. Or these issues could have happened due to the weakness of the plants from the spidermites. It's most likely an accumulation of all 3 factors

Get an atomizer and azamax and spray every 3-4 days. Do this until harvest (I know this is not ideal but you're a bit screwed) You might get control of your room, but the plants that are damaged will never recover. Consider throwing them out for the health of the consumer.

You need to let the medium dry out, especially if you are constantly watering the coco. People will argue with me on this, but from my experience, letting the medium dry out is a great way to let your plants recover from root issues. It doesn't mean let the plant start wilting, but let it dry out and then water normally.

By the looks of your preflowers, you are probably between day 10-14. It's going to be difficult for you to finish given the amount of problems you have already and your lack of experience. If you guys decide to scrap it or when you do start over, you must must must implement an IPM regimen in your rooms.

Also, please learn to clone. The cost savings from not buying clones is huge. I am always baffled by the number of people standing outside of Harborside waiting for a Dark heart drop and then buying 100s!!! of clones.

W

WestsideCali

Okay off the top of my head:

You shouldn't be using hydrogen peroxide in your application because you are killing off any beneficials in your medium.

You need to raise your DE fixtures all the way to the ceiling.

I don't have experience with Heavy 16, but from the looks of your leaves, you are calmag deficient. I don't know if it is because you are not using enough calmag or if you are experiencing overwatering/root health issues. Or these issues could have happened due to the weakness of the plants from the spidermites. It's most likely an accumulation of all 3 factors

Get an atomizer and azamax and spray every 3-4 days. Do this until harvest (I know this is not ideal but you're a bit screwed) You might get control of your room, but the plants that are damaged will never recover. Consider throwing them out for the health of the consumer.

You need to let the medium dry out, especially if you are constantly watering the coco. People will argue with me on this, but from my experience, letting the medium dry out is a great way to let your plants recover from root issues. It doesn't mean let the plant start wilting, but let it dry out and then water normally.

By the looks of your preflowers, you are probably between day 10-14. It's going to be difficult for you to finish given the amount of problems you have already and your lack of experience. If you guys decide to scrap it or when you do start over, you must must must implement an IPM regimen in your rooms.

Also, please learn to clone. The cost savings from not buying clones is huge. I am always baffled by the number of people standing outside of Harborside waiting for a Dark heart drop and then buying 100s!!! of clones.
I'm really hoping we don't have to scratch this. I have a good sprayer now but am having trouble finding a quality atomizer like everyone keeps referencing. Can you link me to one? Local shops say our spider more issue is common but also agreed that we may be watering too often (daily) and we hit them too heavy so I will let them dry out as you said. The lights are as close to the ceiling as possible because the have a hook that hangs them 6 inches that you can't get around. We can always take the tables out giving us an extra 18inches. The trellis is set at 6 feet and plants will be bent underneath so that they will never be closer than 3'6" from the lights.

When you say "scrap it" are you referencing because of the mites?

What is IBM an abbreviation for? This way I can do more research on it and implement it moving forward.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the support. And yes moving forward clones are a priority. I hate spending money when we don't need to but it's a learning curve and we failed our first time. Just gotta keep learning and trying until we get it right.

Top Bottom