First Time Indoor Soil Grow..

• Thread starter Aussie farm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Do not fix a random watering schedule. You said every 3 days. Let the plants and the medium tell you when to water. Lift the pot and feel if the soil is heavy or light. When the medium is light and almost dry do your watering.

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

I would let them dry out now then give only water til runoff for the next two waterings (full dry back between). Then transplant. Then give grow nutes at 250ppm with tap water. Alternate feed, water, feed, water.
Cheers..

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

Do not fix a random watering schedule. You said every 3 days. Let the plants and the medium tell you when to water. Lift the pot and feel if the soil is heavy or light. When the medium is light and almost dry do your watering.
Will do thanks.

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

So update time...

It's been 4 days and during that time I have put the light I had for my flower tent (Unit Farm UF3000) into the veg tent. The other light (Unit Farm UF1000) is too small and doesn't produce a wide enough spread of even light to maintain 2 plant. Would be great for a single plant grow in a 2x2 tent but I will use it for my clones I can hopefully take from either of these girls. I've raised the light to 60cm and have the plants getting 320ppfd at 20DLI 18/6 cycle and changed to tap water instead of rain water. (Tap 80ppm 7ph - Rain 13ppm 8ph)The pots we're dry and light so I fed the plants plain water which had the run off at 300ppm. Plants still look sad but they both have made growth progress with the sativa gaining the most. I will do one more plain water feed once the pots are dry again then transplant into cloth pots same soil mix but with 20% perlite to help with moisture retention. Still have temp and humidity issues as the shed is dropping to below 0° over night and the outside air is very dry.

IMG20220611062048
IMG20220611062023
IMG20220611061928
IMG20220611062450
IMG20220611062015
IMG20220611061920
IMG20220611062458

Reactions: HWH
Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Your new growth looks healthier. Did you say your temp is dropping to 0 degrees? Is that a typo? I find it had to believe they are still alive if the temp is getting to zero. It would freeze the soil and the plant. What is the temp in your tent going down to?

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

Your new growth looks healthier. Did you say your temp is dropping to 0 degrees? Is that a typo? I find it had to believe they are still alive if the temp is getting to zero. It would freeze the soil and the plant. What is the temp in your tent going down to?
Yeah does look much better all though when I check on them this afternoon 9hrs after those photos were taken they were both drooping again. That's the temp the shed gets down to that the tent is in but the tent gets down to about 15°C that the best I can do.. should I be running the fans and exhaust 24/7 as I'm only running them 22hrs at the moment 2hrs either side of the lights before and after they turn on..?

Last edited:
Aussie farm

Aussie farm

What's the thoughts on CO2 would something like this be of benefit to a grow like this, it's an inexpensive product with 9 months of CO2 for 4x4 tent.?
Couldn't find anywhere that said at what concentration it was released only 6 months of the 9 were peak concentration.

Screenshot 2022 06 11 20 01 58 14

Last edited:
TSD

TSD

15 Celsius is 59 Fahrenheit... not ideal but won't kill them... my girls are outside and it's currently 57 and raining... the more perfect your environment, the more they will thrive obviously.

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

15 Celsius is 59 Fahrenheit... not ideal but won't kill them... my girls are outside and it's currently 57 and raining... the more perfect your environment, the more they will thrive obviously.
Shoe string budget this grow unfortunately so have to make do. I couldn't do outdoors this time of year been -1°C most mornings this week..

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Your watering still looks a bit heavy. There is a lot of water in your tray. They are struggling to get out of an over wet condition and in soil that is holding too much moisture. There is no need to soak them when you water at this point. When they are dry just give enough water to get the soil nice and damp and maybe a few drips coming out of the bottom of the pot.
You should not need CO2. CO2 is most beneficial when you are getting your light levels over 900 ppfd and can help the plant deal with higher temperatures. I would concentrate on keeping the soil less wet and getting healthy so you can get into a better draining soil.

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Oh and yes keep the fans on. In a more balanced environment you could shut the fans on and off with the light, but the extra air will and low humidity will actually help you dry the soil out a bit quicker.

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

Your watering still looks a bit heavy. There is a lot of water in your tray. They are struggling to get out of an over wet condition and in soil that is holding too much moisture. There is no need to soak them when you water at this point. When they are dry just give enough water to get the soil nice and damp and maybe a few drips coming out of the bottom of the pot.
You should not need CO2. CO2 is most beneficial when you are getting your light levels over 900 ppfd and can help the plant deal with higher temperatures. I would concentrate on keeping the soil less wet and getting healthy so you can get into a better draining soil.
Cheers man appreciate the advice. Yeah I probably did water too much as I watered until I got 150mls of run off and those pics were taken straight after I poured it out of the trays. Thanks for letting me know about the C02 and I will run the fans and heater 24/7 as without the heater the tent will drop to shed temp over night and will kill them. Do you think I should wait for one more water once the pots are dry and then transplant or are they not healthy enough yet for that.?

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

So here is the dilemma. You want to let the roots dry out a bit and get some air. However you will also need to water when you transplant. Your plants are under a lot of stress from sitting in too moist a soil and from the recent topping. By the way I don't rememner if you said are these autoflowers? Autoflowers are more sensitive to stress. Anyway what you need to try to do is let the soil get dry and see how the plants look. If they are looking stronger then you can try transplanting. For the mix you are transplanting into, you want the soil lightly moist. When you mix it with the perlite I would use a spray bottle and keep misting the soil as you mix it. You want it all sort of damp but not wet. Then transplant and lightly water the plant into the new container. If your new container is bigger remember the soil will hold more moisture so do not soak the new container. Even with the perlite you don't want the plant sitting in super wet soil right now. If you don't think the plant looks strong enough then wait another watering, but water lightly until she recovers.

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

So here is the dilemma. You want to let the roots dry out a bit and get some air. However you will also need to water when you transplant. Your plants are under a lot of stress from sitting in too moist a soil and from the recent topping. By the way I don't rememner if you said are these autoflowers? Autoflowers are more sensitive to stress. Anyway what you need to try to do is let the soil get dry and see how the plants look. If they are looking stronger then you can try transplanting. For the mix you are transplanting into, you want the soil lightly moist. When you mix it with the perlite I would use a spray bottle and keep misting the soil as you mix it. You want it all sort of damp but not wet. Then transplant and lightly water the plant into the new container. If your new container is bigger remember the soil will hold more moisture so do not soak the new container. Even with the perlite you don't want the plant sitting in super wet soil right now. If you don't think the plant looks strong enough then wait another watering, but water lightly until she recovers.
They are bag seeds so i'm not sure what they are, if they are autos will there be an issue when i switch them to flower.? They definitely looked better this morning when the soil was dry and before I watered. The drooping by this afternoon was obviously from too much water again.. Should I be holding off on any nutrients until she recovers or should I give a light feed when I transplant.? Thanks heaps Osmosis

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Glad to be of help. If they are bag seeds I wouldn't worry about it. Not likely they are autoflowers. The plants shouldn't need much nutrients right now as there is some in the soil and they are more concentrated on dealing with the over water condition in their roots. Other than that I can't help much with your nutrients as I concentrate more on organics which is a different beast as the plants are not dependent on most of their nutrient needs from feeding. Someone else would be better advising you on their nutrient needs as they get back to health.

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

So this afternoon I noticed that the large fan leaves are starting to get dark spots on them while the new growth appears to be getting better. Just wondering should I remove the 2 large fan leaves on each before they get worse or will this just stress the plant more.?

IMG20220613143134
IMG20220613143047
Screenshot 2022 06 13 14 33 40 81

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

Now for some goods news.. The mail man brought me an early birthday present today my new flower tent light has arrived Unit Farm UF4000. All hooked up and ready to rock and roll provided I can get these girls the distance.
IMG20220613143419
IMG20220613140317
IMG20220613140559
IMG20220613142353

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

The new growth is looking better again. Over watering can cause all kinds of odd symptoms in leaves due to excess water and improper nutrient uptake due to the roots being to wet. This is likely what you are seeing in the older leaves As long as the older fan leaves are somewhat healthy they are still gathering light then they are still helping the plant out. Only once a set of leaves is extremely unhealthy like almost entirely yellow, or brown or completely mangled should you remove it.

Aussie farm

Aussie farm

The new growth is looking better again. Over watering can cause all kinds of odd symptoms in leaves due to excess water and improper nutrient uptake due to the roots being to wet. This is likely what you are seeing in the older leaves As long as the older fan leaves are somewhat healthy they are still gathering light then they are still helping the plant out. Only once a set of leaves is extremely unhealthy like almost entirely yellow, or brown or completely mangled should you remove it.
Thanks again..

Top Bottom