First time LST , now what? Any advice is great 😅

• Thread starter Haydar1984
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Hello farmers 🤩
This is my first time growing , I chose mexican feminised seeds from sensiseeds , topped the plant and started LST at the same time , I reached this level shown in picture , now I think its a mess and don't know what to do next 😅 any suggestion is appreciated

P.S does this plant looks sativa to you as it's supposed to be? To my untrained eyes it looks an indica...
First time lst  now what any advice is great

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

It’s probably a hybrid which is why the eaves look indica. I would prune some of top fan leaves to allow light to penetrate to the lower part of the plant.
But I bought the seeds as mexican which is supposed to be a sativa 🤔 , I already trimmed 2 large fan leaves , but I'm hesitant to remove more 😅 she is my only baby

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

They are all hybrids. Yours may show thinner leaves during flowering. I have seen that many times with sativa leaning hybrids. You wouldnt want a pure sativa in the growroom.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

It’s probably a hybrid which is why the eaves look indica. I would prune some of top fan leaves to allow light to penetrate to the lower part of the plant.
^^^^ would be a tall lanky thing if it were sativa,usally more space between nodes,i have seen wide leaves like that go slender as age came on,though

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Says its a fast flowering hybrid.

I bought them in person from the shop in Amsterdam and told the guy I wanted a sativa 😓 maybe he tried to help and give me some easy growers that can withstand the hot climate where I live , I just want the energy and the high , don't like to be stoned at all 😕

Seraphine

Seraphine

I’ve had hybrids like that that start out looking more indica but has they mature they take on more sativa qualities.

But if the breeders were lazy and didn’t take the time to properly breed and stabilize the strain, it’s hard to say what version of the parent you got

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I bought them in person from the shop in Amsterdam and told the guy I wanted a sativa 😓 maybe he tried to help and give me some easy growers that can withstand the hot climate where I live , I just want the energy and the high , don't like to be stoned at all 😕

I bet it looks way more sativa after transition to flower.

I grow sativa leaning hybrids all the time and some have fatter leaves in veg. That afgan in the genetics is how they shorten the flower time. The buds should look more sativa. And feel.

Mathimus

Mathimus

Make sure you use plenty of silicates to strengthen cell walls. It will allow better bending/manipulation of branches. If you break a branch, but it's still intact, use tape to mend it back together. It will heal itself. I use the black gorilla style tape. Silica Blast is a good product. Always add only silicates first and dilute them with water before adding your other nutes or they will leach and be unusable by your plants. Healthy looking plant!

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Make sure you use plenty of silicates to strengthen cell walls. It will allow better bending/manipulation of branches. If you break a branch, but it's still intact, use tape to mend it back together. It will heal itself. I use the black gorilla style tape. Silica Blast is a good product. Always add only silicates first and dilute them with water before adding your other nutes or they will leach and be unusable by your plants. Healthy looking plant!
I'm using very little amount of nutes as I'm trying to grow organic in soil/compost/peat moss mix , only giving what appears to be missing promptly , I use kelp powder and humic acid.

Anything that I should do more for training?

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

I bet it looks way more sativa after transition to flower.

I grow sativa leaning hybrids all the time and some have fatter leaves in veg. That afgan in the genetics is how they shorten the flower time. The buds should look more sativa. And feel.
Thanks a lot ,any advice on training? I'm mostly confused as to how much side nodes or shoots I should leave growing? There are tons under the foliage now and don't know should I pluck them out to focus on few shots or keep them all and remove all the leaves that are blocking the light?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hi Haydar
Cool, the salesman just suggested mexican sativa at sensi seeds ? That seems wierd to me, its not really that popular,or should i say something not that trendy
Kind of an old school vibe, mexican ....

Im surprised he didnt reccommend the northern lights /haze

Anyway, you look like your off to a really good start, "first grow" not bad
Like the other members said, yea i've seen plant leaves go wide under flouro lights and wide (more iindica) in the begining of the plants life and really taper off to a thin sativa leaf.
But my gut feeling is that you dont have a true sativa there, mexican or not,
Which i think will really work in your favor, looks like shes growing nice, and sativas can be difficult for a first grow, the sensi seed description says its a hybrid with pakistan hashplant to lower flowering times,
And the flower time is between 50 to 70 days, so i wouldent be surprised if you ended up with a sleepy stoney hashplant or a trippy sativa, but by the looks of it, 60/40 70/30 no idea, and sensi has no idea either.

So my question would be.....when do you plan on flipping ? And what light is it under ?
Maybe you want to get motivated and do a scrog, just rig up some chicken wire or cage and that way you can pull out all those nice developing buds that you spoke of,
If too lazy, then i would throw into flower to determine your next move, you will get good stretch going and you will visiblly see where the optimum growth will occur or just which stems etc are shooting fastest...?

It seems to me that scrog might make you a better yield...
Either way cool, but sensi did you a favor by not selling you a pure sativa, like you might have wanted, then you might be looking at 80 /90 day of flower till maturity, not really fun for a first time grow
Good luck,

Oh yea, if lazy, just tie the branches down, as you are doing, and you can start plucking shit off after first week or 2 of stretch

Last edited:
Mathimus

Mathimus

"I'm using very little amount of nutes as I'm trying to grow organic in soil/compost/peat moss mix , only giving what appears to be missing promptly , I use kelp powder and humic acid.

Anything that I should do more for training?"

Starting out, especially making the big bushy plants, it's all trial and error. As time goes on, you'll learn how much of a beating you can put on a plant when training it. You can bend branches under others to fill out empty parts of the canopy etc. Looks like you topped it 6 or 8 places maybe? If were me, I'd let it get some more vertical growth and bend horizontally again. Maybe remove 2 or 3 of the large fan leaves in the middle to let it breathe as it sits now and give the tops under it some light. That's all I would do now. It looks happy and will grow into whatever you want it to be :).

I obsessed my first plant quite a bit. I was so proud that I could top and FIM successfully. Every new shoot that appeared, I would top more. Always more topping 😆. By the time flower rolled around, I had an unmanageable jungle. That's not a bad problem to have but I spent long hours defoliating. It looks like you are on the right path. It is all about experience.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey , looks like you might have a small pest problem, like leaf borers, or those little tunnling fuckers, (leaf miners) i forgot the name, its late and im tired..
Check out those white squiggly lines in you leaf pics, unless its so late that im seeing things.......
Or its some epsom salt spray or something

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Yea, listen to mathimus, makes sense, go a little more verticle, spread out a bit.
I had a lot of buddies do first grows, everybody wants to fim, top, supercrop, get as much and push the plant to explode buds, but i would even suggest doing the opposite on your next grow, just let the plant grow, maybe pinch once, observe the growth, learn how to tackle the basic shit before jumping to bigger bushier plants, also you will learn that a lot of great plants do not like to be trained,fimmid or screwed with in any way

And when you get to those plants, you will spend 6 months or a few grow cycles wondering why they wont perform in the style that you have recently perfected ,,,,except one example, lst...most respond to supercropping
i never saw a plant that didnt like a little supercropping...

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks a lot ,any advice on training? I'm mostly confused as to how much side nodes or shoots I should leave growing? There are tons under the foliage now and don't know should I pluck them out to focus on few shots or keep them all and remove all the leaves that are blocking the light?

Well I run an open flower room with short bushes with space around each plant. I simply grow them straight up for 5-6 weeks veg from seed and after about 10 days in flower I bend the stem and tie it down to promote the side branching to grow up to tops. And i almost never cut a leaf off the whole grow.

But short leafy indicas may do better with topping.

I dont grow in s rogs or nets. I need to move my plants around as they are all always a weeknor two apart in growth for perpetual one plant harvests.

My grow is in my sig. below. There are many pics of how i bend and train and plants in different stages.

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Hi Haydar
Cool, the salesman just suggested mexican sativa at sensi seeds ? That seems wierd to me, its not really that popular,or should i say something not that trendy
Kind of an old school vibe, mexican ....

Im surprised he didnt reccommend the northern lights /haze

Anyway, you look like your off to a really good start, "first grow" not bad
Like the other members said, yea i've seen plant leaves go wide under flouro lights and wide (more iindica) in the begining of the plants life and really taper off to a thin sativa leaf.
But my gut feeling is that you dont have a true sativa there, mexican or not,
Which i think will really work in your favor, looks like shes growing nice, and sativas can be difficult for a first grow, the sensi seed description says its a hybrid with pakistan hashplant to lower flowering times,
And the flower time is between 50 to 70 days, so i wouldent be surprised if you ended up with a sleepy stoney hashplant or a trippy sativa, but by the looks of it, 60/40 70/30 no idea, and sensi has no idea either.

So my question would be.....when do you plan on flipping ? And what light is it under ?
Maybe you want to get motivated and do a scrog, just rig up some chicken wire or cage and that way you can pull out all those nice developing buds that you spoke of,
If too lazy, then i would throw into flower to determine your next move, you will get good stretch going and you will visiblly see where the optimum growth will occur or just which stems etc are shooting fastest...?

It seems to me that scrog might make you a better yield...
Either way cool, but sensi did you a favor by not selling you a pure sativa, like you might have wanted, then you might be looking at 80 /90 day of flower till maturity, not really fun for a first time grow
Good luck,

Oh yea, if lazy, just tie the branches down, as you are doing, and you can start plucking shit off after first week or 2 of stretch
Thanks a lot for the thoughts , the guy at sensiseeds was very helpful and polite , when he knew that temps where I live reach 50C in the summer he suggested to grow Mexican cause maybe it will undertake the heat well cause "Mexico is a hot place 😅" that was the reason , he gave a northern light auto seed for free but I'm not that into indica so I didn't grow it yet , i bought 3 seeds of white haze auto according to his advice to get an auto as close as possible to a sativa but I drowned 2 seeds and the third one never grew to more than a few centimeters and now its a flowering runt 😂 , I have 2 more Mexican seeds which I'm willing to try to grow next time.
Its under 400W MH HID light and I have no idea when should I flip it to flowering 😅 , any suggestion would be helpful I'm clueless really.

Top Bottom