First Time Micro Grow - Bagseed /Rubbermaid Grow

• Thread starter dbahsee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dbahsee

This is my first time starting a grow, And ive read many articles on how to do this but Im a tad confused about some stuff but Im hoping with my posts I can get some awnsers to my questions.

I am using two 32 gallon rubbermaid containers. when they are standing one on top of the other it measeures out to a height of 3ft tall.

I took some bagseeds for this first time that way i can work on perfecting my grow skills and on my second go round Ill use some real good seeds. I germinated the seeds in about a day or 2 and then placed them outside to grow and i had them in lil planters and my actual grow box wasnt entirely ready for them so I jumped the gun on them. I planted 6 germ'd seeds outside and all sprouted I took the first set of four (pictured below) And I bought in the last 2 from outside like a weekand a half later. (newly added seedlings have the white plastic sticking out the dirt )

Now that youve seen the babies. I need to know if my lighting and and temps are good to go , at the moment im not using both rubbermaid containers , so I decided to paint one of the lids white and attach my lighting fixture to it so it can be a lot closer to the plants which is why you only half of the grow in the pic below
If you notice in the pic of the closed container I have my pc fans running off of an old power supply I had lying around, And it has an off/on swith to it already attached so I can turn it off or own anytime with this switch. One of the other good things about this power supply is that it can power up to 12 fans if i wanted it to had that many connectors on it wowww . I let the air run all day and night if the lights are on or off, This is the righyt thing to do correct ??

As for lighting I am using four 60w daylight cfl's for a total of 630 lumens ?? should i have more lights? and what would be the best light cycle to use at this point cus right now I have them on a 12/12 cycle. and the temps insisde the box are 22.9c with the lights off and with the lights im running around 25.9c . Will this work . Ive got a 7 inch fan inside the box for the heat from the lamps and one large exhaust fan which is shown on the bottom right corner of the pic u see here

One thing i did mess up on was not putting some passive intakes to circulate the air , Which I did jsut yesterday but have not posted the pic of it installed yet. Here is how bright it is inside the container with the lights on.

welll now im like 3 weeks in and I dont know if im doing this right at all cus it seems to me as if im not getting any results inside the container and al that , could I have done something wrong, and would it be possible to fill this entire grow box Id love to try very much But I do need some assistance in knowing what to do and what not to do any information from you guys woulld be greatly appreciated !!! At what point do i use nutrients and all those type of things
If anyone needs some info jsut ask me and ill provide a response asap Help me out people thanks

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Those boxes are not airtight but they'll restrict airflow way too much with the cover on, even with the exhaust fan. Adding the passive intake was a big step in the right direction. What is the soil? Don't any add ferts yet, you'll kill those plants faster than you would believe. Seedlings are very vulnerable for the first 2-4 weeks.

Get back to us on the soil and start there. No need for panic though they're probably slow and will pick up faster once the environment is better.

D

dbahsee

Im using Scotts Premium Potting Soil. As for adding any nutes i wasnt plannin on putting any jsut yet cus from everything ive read ive seen nothign in reference to anyone putting at this early stage. Do I need more lights as well ?? And would it ahve been in my best interest to attach the top cab already and work that way instead ?

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Im using Scotts Premium Potting Soil.
That will probably be fine for now. You'll need to find out what nutes are added to this brand if you are going to use this throughout your grow.

There are plenty of tried and true soils and soil-less mediums growers use for consistent results. Consider using one of these next time so people can give even more detailed advice and you can copy feeding regimens.
Do I need more lights as well ??
This depends on your expectations. First grow, you'll hooked if you yield an 1/8th. If you don't add more lights this run you will the next time. Light = bud.
And would it ahve been in my best interest to attach the top cab already and work that way instead ?
Probably wouldn't matter. Proper ventilation is done with the fans, height is most helpful to moderate heat (and grow giant trees).

D

dbahsee

I actually want to have these guys get at least the height of the current container and from there finish them off with the top and lights properly in place at the top, in the hopes that it will fill the full 3 ft or as close to it as possible of the grow box .
I guess Im going to have to get more lights then, If im doing this I want to get the best results out of it as I can
Ill check into the soil info now as well thanks alot for the info man thanks alot

D

dbahsee

Scotts Premium Potting Soil .07 .01 .03

Ingredients and ocontents
Nit. .07
Phosphate .01
Sol Potash .03

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Let them stay in those pots and soil without ferts for at least 2-4 weeks. Get the air moving over them and keep the lights low. They'll pick up speed once the roots develop. Let the soil dry up more between waterings. It's easy to love them to death at this stage.

D

dbahsee

what type of watering would u recomend ive been giving them a lil bit everyday of regular tap water. I'll Change it to every other day ?? and Ill get more lights tomorrow as well , I already have a bunch of y splitters for the light fixture to double up on them.... so after a month or so I shuld be starting flowring process? I was actually thinking of trying a scrog type grow in this if it is at all possible ?? But I want them to grow past the halfway mark of the cabinet itself

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
As needed only. Unless your environment is really dry you can probably go 2 or 3 days after a good watering. Feel the pot's wet weight by holding it by the rim after watering and slowly bouncing your hand up and down. Use that as your baseline for fully watered and let them dry out considerably before watering again.

The usual disclaimer applies: don't let the plants shrivel and dry up. If the plants are wilting or drooping they need water, unless the soil's already wet, in which case they need to dry out.

Practice practice. You'll get it.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
Thats a nice little setup to keep a mother going in

G

GDS StonerBoy

Thats exactly what i'm using for clones right now and will be putting little bonsai mothers in there soon.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Coco is a soil-less growing medium. More predictable and easier to contol than soil too.

Random Link (Google came up with it not me):

D

dbahsee

I added 4 more lights to my grow and as well as dropped my lights alil bit closer to the plants abotu 2-2 1/2 inches away from the plants.
Im curious to know about the lumens im currently generating, I noticed on the packaging it says 630 lumens is that per bulb or all the bulbs as a whole.

I currently have Eight 60w cfls (solar light type) how many lumens would that be and is this a good or bad thing im using a tthe moment? my temps with the light are about 27.9C

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
The only plants I've flowered under fluoros were under a 4 ft, 4 bulb, T8 fixture, and the results were not impressive, but the strain sucked too so it's not a good benchmark. Haven't seen many micro grows on this forum yet.

D

dbahsee

I started out with the cfl's from the beginning, at what point do i know i can go into the flowering process I figure after my first 4-5 weeks? .... correct ??

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
These came from seed? I don't flower plants until they're sexually mature but I'm using clones, so apples and oranges. You can flower these when ever you want, it all depends on how the plants stretch, since you have no idea I'd flower sooner than lter to make sure you can contain them.

Your temps are a little high are the fans blowing on the plants?

D

dbahsee

yeah i got a 7 inche fan inside the actual container. So your saying if i wanted to I could initiate teh flowring stage, but my plants seem so smalll im confused ther are not much bigger than my last pics i poseted in the beginiing of this post.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Sorry bro, I got your grow confused with another. I would not flip these yet unless they were very sativa. What kind of bud were these seeds from? Did it seem like an indica, was it schwag?

Latest posts

Top Bottom