First time user of manual trimming machine…comparison with hand trimming

• Thread starter nashobaTHC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Got to borrow a Lumo-X 16 trimming machine after years and years of hand trimming pounds of buds and I LIKE IT! Trimmed up about 4oz fresh cut buds in about 10 minutes that would have taken me about 1+ hours manually with snips. Before and after pics are obvious. Finished buds put on mesh layer for 4-5 days drying. Trimmings will go into my dry ice hash processing. Tomorrow I plan to harvest another 4oz buds on a late season Flagship Blueberry that’s survived rain, wind, and temps in mid 30s without bud rot or PM. I also plan on changing blades to trim fully dried buds after finishing the fresh cut buds. I’ll let you know how dry trimming works compared to wet trimming. If it works half as good on dry buds as on wet, I’ll be thrilled for the time and wrist savings.

BTW…this is not an endorsement of this particular model but is an endorsement of time saving machines if you have lots to trim and little or no help.

First time user of manual trimming machinecomparison with hand trimming
First time user of manual trimming machinecomparison with hand trimming 2
First time user of manual trimming machinecomparison with hand trimming 3
First time user of manual trimming machinecomparison with hand trimming 4
First time user of manual trimming machinecomparison with hand trimming 5
First time user of manual trimming machinecomparison with hand trimming 6
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Got to borrow a Lumo-X 16 trimming machine after years and years of hand trimming pounds of buds and I LIKE IT! Trimmed up about 4oz fresh cut buds in about 10 minutes that would have taken me about 1+ hours manually with snips. Before and after pics are obvious. Finished buds put on mesh layer for 4-5 days drying. Trimmings will go into my dry ice hash processing. Tomorrow I plan to harvest another 4oz buds on a late season Flagship Blueberry that’s survived rain, wind, and temps in mid 30s without bud rot or PM. I also plan on changing blades to trim fully dried buds after finishing the fresh cut buds. I’ll let you know how dry trimming works compared to wet trimming. If it works half as good on dry buds as on wet, I’ll be thrilled for the time and wrist savings.

BTW…this is not an endorsement of this particular model but is an endorsement of time saving machines if you have lots to trim and little or no help.
Ive only used mine wet but agree 100% with your assessment.
20201226 132736

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Instructions say to place a layer of rough trimmed buds on round wire rack then crank handle 12 revs clockwise, 15 revs counter-clockwise, then 12 revs clockwise. Then empty trimmed buds and refill with next batch. The system is geared so rubber fingers gently press buds down on wire mesh during each revolution and the spinning blade below the wire rack rotates in opposite direction with about 20 revolutions per one crank revolution. Really a very well designed system.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i just tried to make hash oil and bubble hash with machine trim a friend gave me and i wouldn’t waste my time again on it and i tried hard to get it good and nope wouldn’t do it,, the machine breaks up plant material to finely and it damages most of all the trichomes causing that oil to stick too plant material..
it’s waaay to rough on the trichomes.. i wouldn’t use one for any reason..

josefrahl

josefrahl

i just tried to make hash oil and bubble hash with machine trim a friend gave me and i wouldn’t waste my time again on it and i tried hard to get it good and nope wouldn’t do it,, the machine breaks up plant material to finely and it damages most of all the trichomes causing that oil to stick too plant material..
This 👆👆 is what I wondered about. Saving an hour for a loss of trichomes is a deal breaker. I've had one of these in my saved for later cart for awhile now, and always heard on yt reviews and such, that they would make hash later w/trim, but not one ever did it or showed those results. Thx Nick.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

"Causing the oil to stick to the plant material. "
That statement makes absolutely no sence.
Maybe you should try again.
I wouldn't harvest without one, saves me about 3 days of trimming. I can trim a plant in 2 hours that would have taken 8 hrs by hand. Lots of tricomes to go around

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
"Causing the oil to stick to the plant material. "
That statement makes absolutely no sence.
Maybe you should try again.
I wouldn't harvest without one, saves me about 3 days of trimming. I can trim a plant in 2 hours that would have taken 8 hrs by hand. Lots of tricomes to go around
that statement is true..
maybe i should try again??
geezus murphy..
got anything else to say???
anything that suppose to save time/work generally comes with a loose of something..
i did that more or less for me and anyone on the farm that was interested..
stuff turned out barely ok.. the time before that my buddy gave me a bag full of hand trimmed trimmings and that made beautiful hash.. it’s quit obvious that those machines damage trichomes, and based on my experience, never again will i work with machine trimmed bud trimmings..

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I had one, threw it away for the reasons Gnick states.

IMO - it doesn't do anything well, just fast and messy. Sorry if I am being contrarian.

And yeah - oil sticks to the damn plant material. Busted trichomes get everywhere on everything. Not sure what is hard to understand about that. The first several ounces are OK, but by the time you get to a pound the thing is completely useless.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I’ll just make dry ice hash using buds and trimmings from hand-trimmed stuff…that I have a shit ton of. I never used trimmings for hash, just buds and popcorn buds. Pics from my 2020 run using 220 micron mesh.

D6387E00 CF04 48ED 8117 2B67143387F1
F8B47017 2E88 4AC6 AB3F 14D8BE96E097
BudBogart

BudBogart

I have used a machine like that for trimming some lessor buds but always hand trim tops and colas. It works fine for processing large quantities of small give away buds but I remember saying that I put 12 buds in and I have 20 buds when finished. Tsk.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I had one, threw it away for the reasons Gnick states.

IMO - it doesn't do anything well, just fast and messy. Sorry if I am being contrarian.

And yeah - oil sticks to the damn plant material. Busted trichomes get everywhere on everything. Not sure what is hard to understand about that. The first several ounces are OK, but by the time you get to a pound the thing is completely useless.
I see the pics above are trimming when wet. I'd think better results would come from dried buds wouldn't it?...I could see the leaf crumbling off dry....but wet?.....Has any one done that with dry material? I've seen old Cali guys use 50 gal drums with some baffles inside and they slowly tumbled the raw dried weed.....Did a pretty good job and they made hash out of the debris.....It looked good to me

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I see the pics above are trimming when wet. I'd think better results would come from dried buds wouldn't it?...I could see the leaf crumbling off dry....but wet?.....Has any one done that with dry material? I've seen old Cali guys use 50 gal drums with some baffles inside and they slowly tumbled the raw dried weed.....Did a pretty good job and they made hash out of the debris.....It looked good to me
I imagine it would be better on dry yes. Maybe my issue is I always cut the larf off before it grows and just have colas. To me, it seems like this device would only speed up the harvest on popcorn or undesirables, but colas need scissors IMO. All that effort in a grow to only half ass it on the trimming - not for me.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I imagine it would be better on dry yes. Maybe my issue is I always cut the larf off before it grows and just have colas. To me, it seems like this device would only speed up the harvest on popcorn or undesirables, but colas need scissors IMO. All that effort in a grow to only half ass it on the trimming - not for me.
I end up having a bit of trimming to do when they're done. I usually stand and pluck all the big stuff off then bend over branches and do them individually, listing to tunes in between joints, a few hours I can get most of it off and I smoke rough anyways no point getting it too pretty its just going to be ash shortly. afterwards....Gelato @ 11 weeks

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Yesterday’s tomorrow is today so I trimmed up some fully dried coarse cut buds using the Lumo-16 and the serrated blade for dry buds. As with wet buds the Lumo turned a 1.5 hr hand trim job into a 10 minute job at the expense of a bowlful of trim and kief.
Pics:
1 & 2 show main colas before and after de-stemming.
3 & 4 show mains on trimmer and post trimming results.
4 & 5 show secondary buds before and after trimming.
6 & 7 shows machine trim and some very kick ass kief.

I was able to scrape the bowl for about a gram of fine kief. I took the dried trimmings and ran several batches through my 220 micron dry ice hash bag and got 3 grams of very nice kief.

I had one of those moments when I sprinkled a bit in a bowl, hit it, coughed in tasty surprise and said WOW, that’s gooood.

The trimmed buds will cure in jars for a couple weeks and I’ll let you know how that turns out.

I’m convinced that this and similar machines are great for dealing with volume. For just a couple plants, hand trimming still rocks.

0B4CDA66 C6F2 4760 B47A 9E2F11305A41
34EADB04 A1FA 4DBC 85B2 24AE5CEA670B
16286282 B344 4D5F B0E6 9AF5F06F1498
E56833A7 F44C 425E 905F 1838688818BE
A0147967 2B45 4B8D 9570 67A708B9F83C
C1704801 C194 4FFB 8AD0 564DF82685D7
F719180A 612A 428C 836C D2931C256FBD
A67CDCDA 8680 4529 A966 31BD1584E585
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yesterday’s tomorrow is today so I trimmed up some fully dried coarse cut buds using the Lumo-16 and the serrated blade for dry buds. As with wet buds the Lumo turned a 1.5 hr hand trim job into a 10 minute job at the expense of a bowlful of trim and kief.
Pics:
1 & 2 show main colas before and after de-stemming.
3 & 4 show mains on trimmer and post trimming results.
4 & 5 show secondary buds before and after trimming.
6 & 7 shows machine trim and some very kick ass kief.

I was able to scrape the bowl for about a gram of fine kief. I took the dried trimmings and ran several batches through my 220 micron dry ice hash bag and got 3 grams of very nice kief.

I had one of those moments when I sprinkled a bit in a bowl, hit it, coughed in tasty surprise and said WOW, that’s gooood.

The trimmed buds will cure in jars for a couple weeks and I’ll let you know how that turns out.

I’m convinced that this and similar machines are great for dealing with volume. For just a couple plants, hand trimming still rocks.
through the 220? is that from the 25 or 45 bag?
what about the other bags?
there’s no resin heads 220 or bigger

Top Bottom