First time with Coco Coir/Perlite mix

• Thread starter The Rabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The Rabbit

The Rabbit

What size tent and how many do you have ip in it? Looking at full set ups at home depot myself so curious.

3x3x6 tent from eBay
Will grow 2 autos in that tent, as they will unlikely outgrow it.

Will the package you buy replace your current grow set up?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Saw these and heavily thinking about purchasing.
What size is you grow space area , kits are ok to get you started , it’s mainly the lights are the big issues @Aqua Man is more knowledgeable on lights than me I’ve only just started using LED , it all boils down to money I see more money from a budget spent on lights than the tent and fans and sundry , hope I’ve helped we are all here to grow good cannabis not wanting you to waste you money on a light that for a few more pennies you can get a better branded light . Od .

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

My big thing is these kits seem to have it all. I priced these lights and they are several hundred bucks. So for like an additional 100 you get exhaust and the tent.

The Rabbit

The Rabbit

In my mind, the light is at the top of the list for importance. Then the tent and the fans based on the neighbors! But, all of the elements, nutes, EC/pH meter etc., are important, but the light for me is a central price of equipment that is worthy of research.

Also, the space you have is important to to consider. For example, I have loads of basement space which is great between April and October. The rest of the time it needs heated for the plants to thrive. I didn't know that until after I bought my first tent and the growth came a lot slower in the basement over the winter.

Now I want a bigger single tent for the basement year around. So, I am only heating and filtering one space/environment.

Also I can grow 5 plants legally. So, I am moving towards a perpetual grow and towards autos, as they are not photoperiods; so, I can have the light timers set the same for all the plants at all stages of growth.

So it has been a learning curve, for sure. And, I am buying more equipment as my grow skills build and plant numbers rise.

My advice would be to research lights and look for the package with the light you want. For example a 3x3 grow space can be covered for the veg with a 100 watt input (see HLG 100, 3000k), but that led--assuming it is square--will only cover a 2x2 flower canopy. You will have to step up to a 200-250 watt input--assuming it is a new/effecient board to cover a 3x3 blooming canopy.

There are a ton of lights out there: I have HLG 100, Mars Hydro 2000 and California Light Works SE 250 and I am happy with all three. They have great ratings, two are US made/assembled. And, all three have around a 10,000 hour life.

Sorry! Rambled a bit there!?
Tell us more about your current grow and future goals and I am sure you will get more advice from grower's, here.

(Also, I am not sponsored by anyone. So, I am sure there are other great lights out there, too.)

Last edited:
The Rabbit

The Rabbit

I have a spot for a 3x3x6 is kinda the size I'm looking at. That being said how many plants would I be able to work with there? 4 autos?
A smaller pot size will help keep the plants smaller. I had '3 gallon' fabric pots with Coco and perlite (50/50 mix). That plant grew 44" high and 20"x20" across. But, the strain can play into the equation, too. I also like to give my plants room to breathe to promote airflow and help avoid mold.

I am not that ambitious, so I am sure 3 or 4 one gallon pots would work. My next grow is going to be 2 orange bud autos in a 3 gallon pot each in a 3x3 tent.

Do you plan to use Coco or soil as the grow medium?

The Rabbit

The Rabbit

Harvested '6x3' WW. 48oz wet. Took 6 hours to harvest. BIG lessons learned! Phew!
Goanna chill for a bit, then write up a summary of grow lessons learned. And, there were a lot. Glad I persevered!

IMG 20200817 165246 01
IMG 20200817 165246 02
IMG 20200817 165246 03
The Rabbit

The Rabbit

Harvested '6x3' WW. 48oz wet. Took 6 hours to harvest. BIG lessons learned! Phew!
Goanna chill for a bit, then write up a summary of grow lessons learned. And, there were a lot. Glad I persevered!

Pulled 12oz (dry) from the one White Widow in a 7 gal pot spread over a 6x3 canopy. Took waaay too long to grow (26 weeks), but learned a lot from a lot of mistakes. Decent harvest, though.

IMG 20200820 191846
The Rabbit

The Rabbit

Pulled 62oz (wet) from the other White Widow (Kate). Did a wet trim on 41oz of solid nugz. 20oz of fluffy nugz mostly larf. The fluffy nugz and larf will be the source for my first foray into bubble hash, but I will dry it all and cure it all first. Do some more reading/YouTube videos. Then, off to the races.

IMG 20200831 101536
IMG 20200831 092632
IMG 20200831 091554
The Rabbit

The Rabbit

Ended up with over 10oz dry. Cured long enough to share, now. Started to make some tinctures, gummies, and blazing some of it. Tweaked Jeffthe420chef's gummy recipe and can knock out a batch in 20 minutes.
Can't believe how successful this grow has been.
Got a Levo oil infuser, too, as a gift from a very happy neighbor who got a share of the crop. So, our oils will be well infused. Also shared some medicine with folks who can't afford it, due to losing their jobs due to flu. So, happy to be in a position to help them.
Still got plenty and my next grow has started to bloom.
Go weed!

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Great read, you went through a bit of trouble but it came good in the end, congrats đź‘Ť

Top Bottom