First timer with a few questions

• Thread starter bloodeye
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bloodeye

Little about me to start. I've previously grown chilli's on my window sill and I've killed every plant in my house so figured I'd give growing cannabis a try.

I got my tent and all my kit, however I do keep adding to it and we're probably closing in on a £1000 so far.... should really check.
My tent and setup:

So paying extra for the control unit seems like a total waste of time with this set up. Advertised as being able to control the temperature and humidity. All it does is turn the fan on or off when you don't want it to, I can't see how this will control anything.

First question, what is the purpose of the inline filter? Surely having an office fan in there and opening the door every so often is going to do the same?
Do I want this fan on all the time or at certain times?
Will this be what controls the temperature inside the tent? (Another complaint about that controller, it only reads in Fahrenheit, I'm British! 🙄)
My pH reader, says my soil is over 7ph, can this be right for miracle grow soil?y water is reading 7.5ph as well so guess the pH down I've ordered will come in handy. Which is aquarium pH down, this won't be an issue will it?

Onto my planned grow. You lot are probably going to kill me here! Although you seem like a nice bunch so go easy on me.
I've currently 2 X 5 gallon fabric pots in there. Both with miracle grow potting mixture in (I decanted from the bag, broke and fluffed it up, put it into the pots). I haven't added anything to the soil however I have ordered some dynomyco mycorrhizal which comes tomorrow.

This is what you'll probably go nuts on. Made a little hole, put a crème brulee auto seed in 1 pot and 1 peanut butter cookies auto in the other. A tiny bit of water over both. And now I guess I wait?
(I know I've put different strains in but they're both autos and I figured if height becomes an issue, ie one much taller than the other (although I don't think they will) then I'll prop the shorter one up).

I'm also thinking of putting a third auto in there, a cookies gelato auto. Thoughts please?

And look forward to your thoughts on any and all of the above.

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
Ok 95% of us will say get rid of Miracle grow.... it is really bad to be smoking in your buds!!!!

For synthetic nutes...and beginner.... I recommend getting pro-mix hp soil... a box of fox farm dirty dozen nutes and a bottle of calmag!!! You can run 2 to 3 decent sized plants. In your tent...

As for popping a seed... I have 100% success this way.... take a paper Towel and fold in half 2x... place seed in middle and damp towel... fold towel over seed and place in bag in a dark drawer... 24-48 hours your seed will be ready to be put into soil...

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
Also your fan... yes basically it will exhaust your heat to cool down your temps... I do not use a controller or anything... I have been running my 3...6inch inline fans 24 hours a day for about 10 years on and off...

Also inline filter... it will help control the smell of your plants... rather stinking up the whole house and possibly neighbors house.... it will keep it to your grow room for the most part

oldngreygrower

oldngreygrower

Looking for feed back 1st time grower these are on day 45 1st time grower long time smoker 2 of the 4 plants are Budding how do they look they are 18 inches tall 2nd week of flowering auto flowers blueberry the stragglers is also a auto BB the 4th one is GG #4 it was planted 5 days later then the BB please give me feed back on how they look and any tips thank you

20231128 191349
20231127 171419
20231127 170840
oldngreygrower

oldngreygrower

This is a stragglers she's the same as the 2 BB that are Budding
20231128 190917

3cats

3cats

Little about me to start. I've previously grown chilli's on my window sill and I've killed every plant in my house so figured I'd give growing cannabis a try.

I got my tent and all my kit, however I do keep adding to it and we're probably closing in on a £1000 so far.... should really check.
My tent and setup:

So paying extra for the control unit seems like a total waste of time with this set up. Advertised as being able to control the temperature and humidity. All it does is turn the fan on or off when you don't want it to, I can't see how this will control anything.

First question, what is the purpose of the inline filter? Surely having an office fan in there and opening the door every so often is going to do the same?
Do I want this fan on all the time or at certain times?
Will this be what controls the temperature inside the tent? (Another complaint about that controller, it only reads in Fahrenheit, I'm British! 🙄)
My pH reader, says my soil is over 7ph, can this be right for miracle grow soil?y water is reading 7.5ph as well so guess the pH down I've ordered will come in handy. Which is aquarium pH down, this won't be an issue will it?

Onto my planned grow. You lot are probably going to kill me here! Although you seem like a nice bunch so go easy on me.
I've currently 2 X 5 gallon fabric pots in there. Both with miracle grow potting mixture in (I decanted from the bag, broke and fluffed it up, put it into the pots). I haven't added anything to the soil however I have ordered some dynomyco mycorrhizal which comes tomorrow.

This is what you'll probably go nuts on. Made a little hole, put a crème brulee auto seed in 1 pot and 1 peanut butter cookies auto in the other. A tiny bit of water over both. And now I guess I wait?
(I know I've put different strains in but they're both autos and I figured if height becomes an issue, ie one much taller than the other (although I don't think they will) then I'll prop the shorter one up).

I'm also thinking of putting a third auto in there, a cookies gelato auto. Thoughts please?

And look forward to your thoughts on any and all of the above.

Thanks
You are going to need to spend some time reading the forums, From what I've read you haven't read much yet. Soil, nutrients, lights, watering practices and germination techniques should be looked into. I know there's a shit ton of info and where to look but JKASH above has some good info above.

I don't use controllers either, just an exhaust fan I adjust the speed of to control my environment. If its too hot I turn it up, too cool I turn it down with my passive air vents open.. With humidity control I either turn up my humidifier or turn it down. No need for a controller. I also don't use a filter, my house doesn't reach of pot and I grow perpetually but I also smoke perpetually and it legal and it takes a discerning nose to tell the difference in smell.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
It's easy to spend money on this hobby. I lost track long ago. It's because there is so much learning and so many things to try.

I use AC Infinity Controller 69 Pros for my tents. In addition to the exhaust fan, they control the humidity and heat. I'll soon add a light to that list. Something I didn't anticipate when I began was the effect of the weather. Ambient conditions matter. Right now, we're having unusually low humidity, so the humidifier in the tent is using a lot of water. Apart from keeping water in it, I don't have to do anything because the controller maintains the proper humidity in the tent.

what is the purpose of the inline filter?
I don't use one, but I understand they're useful in some situations, like when growing in an apartment where the neighbors can be a problem.

Cannabis likes porous soil. So, I recommend perlite at about 20% of the soil mix. I also use rice hulls and cocoa coir because they're organic and will decompose. Most growers don't use Miracle Grow. I did at first and my plants grew well. Since then, I've continued to develop my own mixture that includes earthworm castings.

And now I guess I wait?
There's plenty of waiting involved in growing anything. It can be frustrating, though. That said, I doubt the plants like a lot of tinkering from us, so I tend to make changes slowly.

Sure, if it fits. I don't grow autos, though, so I don't have much in the way of advice about how to grow them. I've thought about how these plants handle crowded conditions, but I don't have an answer. My own style is not to let the leaves touch anything. It helped when I had a spider mite problem a few months ago because they only infested one plant. It died while all the others survived.

B

bloodeye

You are going to need to spend some time reading the forums, From what I've read you haven't read much yet. Soil, nutrients, lights, watering practices and germination techniques should be looked into. I know there's a shit ton of info and where to look but JKASH above has some good info above.

I don't use controllers either, just an exhaust fan I adjust the speed of to control my environment. If its too hot I turn it up, too cool I turn it down with my passive air vents open.. With humidity control I either turn up my humidifier or turn it down. No need for a controller. I also don't use a filter, my house doesn't reach of pot and I grow perpetually but I also smoke perpetually and it legal and it takes a discerning nose to tell the difference in smell.
I've not stopped reading and it's all contradicting. Royal queen grow guide lists miracle grow potting mix as one of the best but then this guy saying to throw it out.

Things like seeing some guys go with soil at first and only feed at vegetation, then others germinating in small pots, sprinkling all sorts in the hole and repotting. Like does that really make the difference from 20% to 100% yeild/quality or are we talking tiny margins?

I'm not looking to supply the county, more a hobby with something at the end. Depending on the yeild I'll be giving actually vegetables a go after.

Just feel there's a lot of holes in people guides that I'm better asking. For example, I've a tiny idea what the training is about but if I search it I literally get a guild and it will say, ".... A little training" and that's it. So I'll need to ask that question at some point.

Another one is the light, I'm not seeing much about how to use the thing. I assume full power? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I get the timing but if I come across mentions I find, even beginners guides act like I know certain things before hand.

B

bloodeye

It's easy to spend money on this hobby. I lost track long ago. It's because there is so much learning and so many things to try.

I use AC Infinity Controller 69 Pros for my tents. In addition to the exhaust fan, they control the humidity and heat. I'll soon add a light to that list. Something I didn't anticipate when I began was the effect of the weather. Ambient conditions matter. Right now, we're having unusually low humidity, so the humidifier in the tent is using a lot of water. Apart from keeping water in it, I don't have to do anything because the controller maintains the proper humidity in the tent.

I don't use one, but I understand they're useful in some situations, like when growing in an apartment where the neighbors can be a problem.

Cannabis likes porous soil. So, I recommend perlite at about 20% of the soil mix. I also use rice hulls and cocoa coir because they're organic and will decompose. Most growers don't use Miracle Grow. I did at first and my plants grew well. Since then, I've continued to develop my own mixture that includes earthworm castings.

There's plenty of waiting involved in growing anything. It can be frustrating, though. That said, I doubt the plants like a lot of tinkering from us, so I tend to make changes slowly.

Sure, if it fits. I don't grow autos, though, so I don't have much in the way of advice about how to grow them. I've thought about how these plants handle crowded conditions, but I don't have an answer. My own style is not to let the leaves touch anything. It helped when I had a spider mite problem a few months ago because they only infested one plant. It died while all the others survived.
Firstly thank you for this amazing advice. I don't know how to use this so I'll just respond/ask without quoting.

How does the fan control both temperature and humidity, that's where I'm confused with mine. Surely if it's trying to lower one it's going to lower the other?
Either way I think for now I'll use it to control temperature when I get the light turned on, and control humidity with dehumidifier/humidifiers.

What's perlite? I think I'll do this first grow with what I've brough, learn and do the next one more bespoke.

I'm happy with being patient 😊 I'm honestly in no rush. This is a learning process for me and think this forum will be idea through the journey.
And don't worry, I'm not the type to feel the need to touch them every day for the sake of it.

I've put a big bud in instead. I've got the gelato on its way so I think I'll do the three next time.
I felt autos for my first grow because I read they, obviously easier with the light, but also that they are typically quite hardy plants, which sounded idea.

Few questions from today's observations, if you don't mind. So it's cold here damp and I love in a cottage. As it's the spare room the heater was off, I've turned it on today for the ambient effects. Will this effect the seeds?
I'm also experimenting, the big bud I'm getting to pop a different way, wet tissue in the dark but, not warm but definitely not cold place. And I was thinking of doing this a little different, trying some of that root stuff on this one.

Thanks for your time and your advice

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Firstly thank you for this amazing advice. I don't know how to use this so I'll just respond/ask without quoting.
Using a web browser, highlight the text you want to quote and there will be a popup with two options: quote or reply. Select quote to stack multiple quotes. When you have some, there will be a button to insert them.

How does the fan control both temperature and humidity, that's where I'm confused with mine. Surely if it's trying to lower one it's going to lower the other?
There is quite a learning curve for the Controller 69 Pro. The folks who designed it seem smarter than me. The best thing is that the controller can respond to conditions much quicker than any human could, and sometimes we're not home when something changes. I was surprised at how much the weather can affect the environment in the tent.

The model I have can control up to four devices. I have mine controlling the exhaust fan, the heater and the humidifier. The triggers for when they run are adjustable. I exhaust out the top of the tent because that's where it hottest. It's triggered at 80º. The heater is triggered at 72º. The humidifier is triggered at 53%. None of the devices run continuously.

What's perlite?
I suggest you read about it. I already mentioned that cannabis likes porous soil. It won't grow well in compacted soil. Drainage is important. Perlite helps. I believe most soil growers mix their soil.

I felt autos for my first grow because I read they, obviously easier with the light, but also that they are typically quite hardy plants, which sounded idea.
I thought that, too, when I started. It turns out that photos are much easier. I don't recommend autos to new growers because they allow very little opportunity to recover from mistakes.

So it's cold here damp and I love in a cottage. As it's the spare room the heater was off, I've turned it on today for the ambient effects. Will this effect the seeds?
How are you sprouting them? I use the paper towel and plastic bag method. They like warmth. I start mine in a dark cabinet below one of my grow tents. There's a lot that can be said about starting seeds.

B

bloodeye

Using a web browser, highlight the text you want to quote and there will be a popup with two options: quote or reply. Select quote to stack multiple quotes. When you have some, there will be a button to insert them.
Right, figured this out. Thank you. This is very helpful.
The model I have can control up to four devices. I have mine controlling the exhaust fan, the heater and the humidifier. The triggers for when they run are adjustable. I exhaust out the top of the tent because that's where it hottest. It's triggered at 80º. The heater is triggered at 72º. The humidifier is triggered at 53%. None of the devices run continuously.
This sounds amazing. I'll get a grow or two out of the way before looking into something like this but think I'll set mine up for the temperature for now.
I've got a big dehumidifier that I'll set up in the room the tent is in as its currently quite high generally at the moment, then the humidifier I've got has target settings so will control inside the tent.
I suggest you read about it. I already mentioned that cannabis likes porous soil. It won't grow well in compacted soil. Drainage is important. Perlite helps. I believe most soil growers mix their soil.
The potting mix I gave a good breaking up. Gloves on etc and it fluffs up quite nice. Feels loose to me, but what do I know. The chillies I grew about 20 years ago and used the top soil from the garden 🤣
(This by the way is as green fingered as I've ever gotten. I'm pretty good at a lot of things though and know how to learn)

But I'll look into this next. Or maybe hydroponics next, is that difficult?
How are you sprouting them? I use the paper towel and plastic bag method. They like warmth. I start mine in a dark cabinet below one of my grow tents. There's a lot that can be said about starting seeds.
So fluffed up the soil really well. Put in 2 pots and pushed a hole in the centre, 3/4inch and dropped them in. Covered over. Gentle pat down. Little sprinkling of water and covered over with some old plastic take away tubs. In the tent with the light off. Temperature was at 60f last I looked but I had put the room heater on earlier so might still be rising.

The 3rd one I folded a tissue and put onto a plate. Wet it completely. Dropped the seed on. Folded over. Covered with another plate and it's on top of a dresser in my bedroom which is the warmest room of the house.
When I plant this one I've got some of that mycorrhizal (cost £16 and am I reading this right, the entire thing will be needed for just 1 of my pots?). I haven't set the pot up for this one yet, was going to wait till it sprouted and I'd spoke with you lot 🙂

Last edited:
BurntEnds

BurntEnds

Supporter
Welcome to the Farm! Lots of good advice here but look, the cycle of life is really simple:

"Tree drops seed, bird eats seed, bird shits seed out, seed grows and turns into a new tree and the cycle starts over.". I remember that from a movie I can't remember the name of, but that saying stuck with me ever since.

Plants need and evironment that consists of soil, nutrients, light and water that are all variable to a degree based on where it is growing. For beginners I would suggest keeping it simple. Get a decent light, a small tent or grow room and some potting soil without a lot of nutrient additives.

For you first grow you don't need to complicate it and get scientific with the grow. Remember, you are learning and learning involves knowing and understanding the basics while being able to produce some herb and then enhancing and advancing your future grows.

I have grown good bud without any nutrient additions in 5gal of peat and perlite mixtures. Remember that this is a Weed. By definition it really requires very little aside from water, soil and light to blossom and produce. Keep it simple for now and have fun learning about the process. I've seen people get so tied up in their lighting, growing medium, humidity, water run off, temperature, PH and many other factors that they just give up because they are trying too Start with other people's ideas instead of dial8ng in their own environment and grasping the basics of the grow.

I hate seeing people go so hard trying to impress others and then fail. With this I say, keep it simple and start by first gett8ng the seed to germinate. Next get that sensitive sprout in some soil and get some light on it for warmth. Then let it grow and maintain it.

In my opinion, if you can't grow weed without all the tech and science then you can't grow weed at all...Lol. It's really not as complicated as some people make it out to be. Cheers friend and good growing!

Top Bottom