Fish Shit in combination with beneficial bacterias?

• Thread starter SunriseSkunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SunriseSkunk

Hey gang, first time posting here. Nice to be here :)

So we've been growing using fish shit. Using autopot system - so essentially hydro.

By all accounts plants always do well. We've also used beneficial bacterias together with the FS before we used Orca liquid Mycos, and now are trying out Tribus.

Unfortunately we're not too educated on the science-y end of these products and wondering if we should be even using both of them together at all haha or have we essentially pissed away the $ we spent on the FS. (Reason we're asking is we're about to run out of it and of course you all know this product - or any bennies - are expensive. Really could use a few extra bucks right now, but if it does truly give us an extra edge in combination with other bennies then we'll continue to use it no problemo).

Thanks in advance for everyone's time, opinion and consideration.

Warmest Regards,

SS

freezeland2

freezeland2

Do you also use the other microbe products made by Planet Revolution in addition to Orca? They also have King Crab and Great White for beneficials. In addition to those they make a microbe feed called Myco Chum. All products in the lineup are great. I get some nice root balls using their products.

S

SunriseSkunk

Do you also use the other microbe products made by Planet Revolution in addition to Orca? They also have King Crab and Great White for beneficials. In addition to those they make a microbe feed called Myco Chum. All products in the lineup are great. I get some nice root balls using their products.
Thanks for responding! :)

No nothing by them currently. Was poking around the internet and found this Tribus product and swapped it for the Orca. https://impellobio.com/products/tribus-original?variant=37510072074428

To my understanding tribus is a concentrated formula of 3 different strains as opposed to a bunch in Orca.

Still a new grower here, only 2 years in - but many years involved with cannabis. Either way Still a noob haha.

Each are, from my general basic research, 2 very different products as such in regards to their composition, so I want to say I should use it. I also want to mention we do use an advanced 12ish bottle formula (currently General Hydroponics - but looking to swap to Emerald Harvest).

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Having used Fish Shit and Recharge in previous runs, this is my opinion ... based on my experience. Soil grower so not all things transfer but here it is ...

It's expensive! Far more expensive than it should be when other brand names are offering similar products for much less money. I use beneficial microbes and I'm convinced that they are the special sauce that helps bring all things nutrient-wise together. However, Roots Organic's "Microbe Charge" and "Surge" will do the same for much less money. I see other brands of microbes being mentioned ... I've used some of those too, but still feel that the "Roots Organic" products offer the biggest bang for your dollar. With that said, all the products I've tried work well. Just some cost more than the others ....

freezeland2

freezeland2

Having used Fish Shit and Recharge in previous runs, this is my opinion ... based on my experience. Soil grower so not all things transfer but here it is ...

It's expensive! Far more expensive than it should be when other brand names are offering similar products for much less money. I use beneficial microbes and I'm convinced that they are the special sauce that helps bring all things nutrient-wise together. However, Roots Organic's "Microbe Charge" and "Surge" will do the same for much less money. I see other brands of microbes being mentioned ... I've used some of those too, but still feel that the "Roots Organic" products offer the biggest bang for your dollar. With that said, all the products I've tried work well. Just some cost more than the others ....
Beneficial microbes are the secret sauce for sure. A robust and healthy root system results in healthy vibrant plants above ground.

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

I have used fish shit in the past and had good results, it is way too damn expensive tho. I have also talked with other who use their own fish tank water to fertilize. There’s definitely cheaper options. I am currently in a run using only compost teas and homemade soil. I am using terp teas by roots organic, a little molasses, ewc and compost. Come flower time, i want to use some epsom, but thats it. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. Hope any of that ramble helps.

Z

Zill

JerseyMike,
You've got it. Keep it simple. Most high end fertilizer-like products are very rich in hype. Compost is great. Save your lawn clippings.

Leaf stage - N2, Epsom salts, iron sulphate. Flower stage - drop N2, keep Epsom salts, iron but add super phosphate. I also spray the Epsom salts and iron on the leaves.

But, I'm growing outside. I compost grass clippings and maple leaves then till it in. Pretty rich. You potters and hydroponics have enough to worry about since you're supplying everything. That is not easy.

Zill.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Really Roots organic seems very expensive to add.......I don't add any microbe products and I've been wondering and reading to see if it will improve anything...then up pops this thread, So I Amzon and nope too much for me...

freezeland2

freezeland2

Thats all they got....is it too much? 9lbs worm castings isn't very much....I know not what doses are used?
3lb bag last me for a while but I’m only growing 4 plants at any given time. Last time I bought any was May?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@PipeCarver it really comes down to where you source them from. I'm in an area where there's at least a half dozen grow stores within a 20 mile radius.

Amazon prices are always higher than what I can buy it at my local hydro shops for most things. I also get a discount because I've signed up for their "business" accounts even though they know that my wife and I are only avid hobby growers. I guess they feel we do enough business at the local shops to get their "VIP" treatment.

I just bought a 3 lb bag of Roots Organic Terp Tea "Grow" and a 3 lb bag of Terp Tea "Bloom" last week. Both bags together came to $23.00. I picked up a 9lb bag of the Microbe Charge at a discount some time ago so I won't be needing any of that for at least another year or more.

Those 3lb bags of dry nutrients will last me well over a year. In that time I'll probably grow 20-30 plants.

Edit: I brew aerated teas Doses are measured in teaspoons to tablespoons depending on how much water you're mixing up for feed. I brew at a tablespoon per gallon and then dilute it in half for use.

Last edited:
Z

Zill

Gramps,
Sure thing, you can grow these plants very successfully on the cheap, because you know. Don’t discount teas. Especially if your growing in pots/ artificial media. Rich stuff and loaded with microbes. Teas don’t burn.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Gramps,
Sure thing, you can grow these plants very successfully on the cheap, because you know. Don’t discount teas. Especially if your growing in pots/ artificial media. Rich stuff and loaded with microbes. Teas don’t burn.

I don't discount teas (I swear by them if you are growing organically.) I do buy "Teas" at a discount ... hahaha.

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

@PipeCarver it really comes down to where you source them from. I'm in an area where there's at least a half dozen grow stores within a 20 mile radius.

Amazon prices are always higher than what I can buy it at my local hydro shops for most things. I also get a discount because I've signed up for their "business" accounts even though they know that my wife and I are only avid hobby growers. I guess they feel we do enough business at the local shops to get their "VIP" treatment.

I just bought a 3 lb bag of Roots Organic Terp Tea "Grow" and a 3 lb bag of Terp Tea "Bloom" last week. Both bags together came to $23.00. I picked up a 9lb bag of the Microbe Charge at a discount some time ago so I won't be needing any of that for at least another year or more.

Those 3lb bags of dry nutrients will last me well over a year. In that time I'll probably grow 20-30 plants.

Edit: I brew aerated teas Doses are measured in teaspoons to tablespoons depending on how much water you're mixing up for feed. I brew at a tablespoon per gallon and then dilute it in half for
This is almost exactly how im doing this run, and I am loving it. More importantly, so are the girls! 🤘

R

ritoMox

Gramps,
Doesn't that depend on how concentrated the tea is?

S

Stonemason7767

If you want to save money and have extra time collect your own microbes. I have 7 cultures i collected from old growth forest .the plants love it. I build large piles of bokashy style compost with just a spoon full of each culture.its a Korean natural farming method.we also use home brewed lacto bacteria .I have farmed produce this way for about three years the veggies are incredible.we are finishing up our fourth successful canabiss grow using k.n.f. methods.i have never stepped foot in grow shop.nothing against them but if you have the time you can make all your own inputs for cheap.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So microbes for soil and hydro usually differ. The mycos arent suited to hydro. In coco soil type myco work great.

for plant health and resistance to fungal and bacterial infections or treatments you want a source of bacillus amyloliquefaciens , it has been used for many years in agriculture for a very broad coverage.

trichoderma are another benefit if growing in a media like coco.

the other may help in nutrient availability and uptake but those are the 2 i like to see if growing in coco.

bacillus amyloliquefaciens is used in any media from aeroponic to soil

Last edited:
Top Bottom