Flouro lights for veg. room

• Thread starter stone69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

As long as you can properly vent it, get as much wattage as you can afford, IMO. I also run a 1000 hps, in a 4x4 homebox for flowering, and it's great. 2 600's would be better tho'. There is a point of diminishing returns, but I think it's 100 watts p.s.f. or more. Not 100% sure about this however.

S

stone69

I'll probably go with the 400 MH for mom's and seed's. What Kind of ventilation fan do you run in your mom box?

old.Ford

old.Ford

Stone69, That the one I have been scouring the threads for 4 days looking for that link for the lights...great stuff...decent prices hydro or dirt Thanks Ford

S

stone69

Hi Ford.... yeah, DH is the cheapest place I've found for alot of stuff... happy growing.

G

Gorrillagrower

Cool whites and soft whites are what you want. Cool whites produce more in the blue spectrum and the soft whites are more in the red spectrum. I find that it seems to be a good balance. I have always used flouresents and have always had good luck with them weather they were seedlings or clones. Good luck

Stay safe out there.......................... GG

O

Old Yeller

What Gorrillagrower said - Cool whites and soft whites are what you want. Cool whites produce more in the blue spectrum and the soft whites are more in the red spectrum.
I'll add to that by also suggesting the T-12 Grow-Lux bulbs - about $9.00 at Wallmart - you need some good red light in the beginning of the early growth stages for positive root development.

S

stone69

Thanks OY... are those those green grow bulbs? I've read somewhere that those made for growing, like Those... dont put out the right light spectrum's, but that is just what I have read, Hell that may not even be what your talking about....

M

maimonides

High-Output T5 Fluoros provide quite adequate lighting for Veg, or clones/moms, and since for you cost is an issue, they'd greatly diminish ventilation concerns and costs.

M

maimonides

Also, here at HTG supply you have a 2-lamp 4-foot fixture (each lamp putting out 5,000 lumens instead of the 1800 for the 2-foot T5 bulbs discussed earlier and even less from the T12's) WITH bulbs specifically for horticultural use for less than $50!!

They will also let you specify whether you want grow-phase bulbs(6400K), flower-phase bulbs (3000K), or a combination. Pretty Cool.

O

Old Yeller

stone69 - If your makin' do with what you have, then T-12's will work fine till you can afford to jump into Meal Halide or T-5's. The T-12 GE Grow-Lux bulbs are marked "Plant & Aquarium Ecolux, F40PL/AQ-ECO, Wide Spectrum". Just mix with a 6500K "Cool White" bulb & you'll be fine - hell, you could flower under these if you wanted!

S

SkyHi

Is this the one your talking about Bro? Hey! that's what this thread is for... better idea's....

http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=336&navid=41

The Sunblaze Systems are pretty decnetly priced i know where you can get a 4ft 8 bulb unit for 200 bucks buty they keep getting sold out !!!!! that 400+ watts of flouro and its got dual swithces to turn half on half off ...look for a good deal there plentyful

S

stone69

Hey OY...Yeah! I am gonna just get by with what I got for now! I looked at those today at Lowe's, I guess their not green anymore... The T-8's I have say "color temperature 4200K", Yeah! your right... I could mix one of the grow-lux bulbs with a cool white, and I dont know how good these T-8's are but they are supposed to be for growing....
SkyHi... Thanks bro! My veg box is only 2'x2', but I hope to expand real soon.

O

Old Yeller

stone - I don't know much about T-8's or what color temps their available in - 4200K is still in the upper end of the red spectrum, so i'd try to find some 6500K's & 3000K's to mix in (if they have them).
I went to T-5's with custom Philips Tri-Phospher bulbs & a 400W CMH last year & would never use anything else in my veg room.
Just bought another Sunblaze 4x4 for my orchid & meat-eating plant collection, & boy - do they love it!

Top Bottom