Flower starting on 14hr light schedule

• Thread starter Dano110
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dano110

The one in back has started to flower. I'm still on 14 hr lights for veg. Will staying at 14 hrs be ok for a few more weeks? I'm not 100% sure of the strain of the one flowering, I think it's Green Crack. The others are hybrid Lemon OG Haze. The flowering plant is about 3 weeks older than the others. I'm under the assumption that changing light to is to get them to flower, but this one is flowering anyway. Should I cut the lights back to 12 hrs?

Flower starting on 14hr light schedule
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The plant that is 3 weeks older is sexually mature and that is why she is flowering. Most cannabis plants will start flowering at 14 hrs of light. Most people use 18 hrs of light and sometimes more for vegging. In your case, I'm not sure what I'd do. Moving to 18 hrs of light will cause the plant to re-veg. Moving to 12 hrs now will reduce the size of your harvest. I'd probably continue with 14 hrs of light for a few weeks longer and switch to 12/12 when the others are sexually mature and show signs of beginning to flower.

Next grow, start with 18 hrs of light.

I think your best place to start is with more research. Read what other growers are doing. There's a lot to know if you want to be a successful indoor grower.

D

Dano110

Thanks, I've been going thru threads but couldn't find an answer really. With 14 hrs I was just trying to mimic nature for my area. Of course now it's not that much. I was planning on 12/12 in a few weeks, hoping the 2 would show more towards flowering by then. The process of the 2 are extremely fast, they have doubled the size in the same time frame as the one flowering. I'll have to look closer for sex on those two, but a couple days ago the looked like they was starting to show female. Once they do, should I cut time to 12/12 ¿

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The problem you've put yourself into is in regards to are your plants getting enough light for good vegetative growth. The term for that is called "Daily Light Interval." The 18/6 to 12/12 light cycle switch usually is accompanied by a boost in light intensity so that the amount of light the plant is receiving during 12/12 is equal to or slightly more light than it was receiving at 18/6. Outside with the natural sun, that DLI isn't an issue. The indoor grow standard of vegging under 18/6 and flowering using 12/12 lighting makes it easy to utilize DLI. For example 18 hrs of light with your light set at 75% will give you the same amount of light energy as 12 hrs of light with it set at 100%. The lighting ratios are important for optimal growth.

It's time to get used to using ratios when it comes to growing cannabis. It's a plant that thrives when everything is in balance and frequently why when people start dumping nutrients on their plants in excess they cause themselves their own problems. (things get out of balance)

For now, start with what has been known to work ... 18/6 veg 12/12 for flower. Use a 2 or 3 part nutrient mix at half strength from what is recommended but follow the feed schedule provided by the company that made it. Once you've got a few grows under your belt, you can move the needle up the complexity chart .... but for now, lets start with the KISS approach. Learn how the plant grows. It's not rocket science so with a bit of patience you'll do well.

Top Bottom