Flushing is a bad practice based on flawed science.

• Thread starter YarraSparra
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Here's how you flush natural pot: You harvest after a dark period while the nutrients are below ground. I harvested at day once and my bud tasted like dirt.. Not the sugary good kind. Like my medium. Fermentation was weak and bud was unsmokable for 4 months til the bacteria inside the bud realized it was supposed to be curing my bud sugars into alcohols, not eating nutes. Curing has nothing to do with quelling chlorophyll when you're organic. Its fermentation.

Here's how you flush synthetics: you cant. Trace amounts are trace amounts.. Youve picked a threshold. Maybe you cant taste 1500 ppm but average people can. Maybe average people can't taste lab chemicals ran at at 500ppm til harvest. But I know plenty of normal assed people who can. The higher your nutes the lower your terps and vice versa. Strip away the natural flavor and you can detect nutes at much lower concentration. You gotta have something to compare to. If you've never smoked natural bud, you don't understand. Curing has nothing to do with fermentation when your synthetic. Its quelling chlorophyll and expiring half life's of bottled inputs.

How many growers vaporize? How many of them vaporizer with autistic life growers (not career, not hobby)?

How many growers can even tell a lemon from a lime? I'd say 1% Just watch how the unflushers talk about weed flavor.. They use generic terms like sweet and earthy. I've never heard a synthetic grower talk about aliens coming down and pissing on some blueberries that a skunk ate and pissed out his ass into a jug of kerosene

This is, in its entirety, 100% bullshit. Every damned word. You literally just made it all up. None of this is based on actual, verifiable science. You are a walking confirmation bias.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool."
~Richard Feynman

P

PharmHand

This is, in its entirety, 100% bullshit. Every damned word. You literally just made it all up. None of this is based on actual, verifiable science. You are a walking confirmation bias.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool."
~Richard Feynman
Lol. Wtf

Smerb

Smerb

Here's how you flush natural pot: You harvest after a dark period while the nutrients are below ground. I harvested at day once and my bud tasted like dirt.. Not the sugary good kind. Like my medium. Fermentation was weak and bud was unsmokable for 4 months til the bacteria inside the bud realized it was supposed to be curing my bud sugars into alcohols, not eating nutes. Curing has nothing to do with quelling chlorophyll when you're organic. Its fermentation.

Here's how you flush synthetics: you cant. Trace amounts are trace amounts.. Youve picked a threshold. Maybe you cant taste 1500 ppm but average people can. Maybe average people can't taste lab chemicals ran at at 500ppm til harvest. But I know plenty of normal assed people who can. The higher your nutes the lower your terps and vice versa. Strip away the natural flavor and you can detect nutes at much lower concentration. You gotta have something to compare to. If you've never smoked natural bud, you don't understand. Curing has nothing to do with fermentation when your synthetic. Its quelling chlorophyll and expiring half life's of bottled inputs.

How many growers vaporize? How many of them vaporizer with autistic life growers (not career, not hobby)?

How many growers can even tell a lemon from a lime? I'd say 1% Just watch how the unflushers talk about weed flavor.. They use generic terms like sweet and earthy. I've never heard a synthetic grower talk about aliens coming down and pissing on some blueberries that a skunk ate and pissed out his ass into a jug of kerosene
th
th

Ha!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I know this is an old thread but I'm a high school dropout with a need for knowledge. It would make sense to me that the best of both worlds could apply and both sides of the argument make some sense. I would think the ability to control your nutrient makeup is the key. Removing only the mobile nutrients (such as N) at the appropriate time would allow the plant to use up various stored nutrient forms while continuing to supplement immobile nutrients would allow the plant to continue growing healthy while doing so. This would essentially allow the plant to remove the stored sugars/carbs that are claimed to be contributing to poor quality and yet not affect growth rates significantly.

I too feel that the drying/curing would be the most important based on the science I have found but using as much of stored sugars and starches before starting that process would give you a head start on the amount of oxidization needed to break down chlorophyll and possibly speed up the drying/curing process and overall quality of the bud.

Just my thoughts. Anyone care to rip me a new one on this?

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I know this is an old thread but I'm a high school dropout with a need for knowledge. It would make sense to me that the best of both worlds could apply and both sides of the argument make some sense. I would think the ability to control your nutrient makeup is the key. Removing only the mobile nutrients (such as N) at the appropriate time would allow the plant to use up various stored nutrient forms while continuing to supplement immobile nutrients would allow the plant to continue growing healthy while doing so. This would essentially allow the plant to remove the stored sugars/carbs that are claimed to be contributing to poor quality and yet not affect growth rates significantly.

I too feel that the drying/curing would be the most important based on the science I have found but using as much of stored sugars and starches before starting that process would give you a head start on the amount of oxidization needed to break down chlorophyll and possibly speed up the drying/curing process and overall quality of the bud.

Just my thoughts. Anyone care to rip me a new one on this?

Same here bro. Dropped out due to insufficient credits to graduate and being kicked out of my home. Went back a few years ago and took the GED and passed it in the top 1%. Anyhow I digress.

I agree that curing and drying probably play much larger factors in the perceived end product quality than flushing most likely does. I’ve never really put much emphasis on flushing as I grow organically and have never had an issue. I’m not saying that growing organically doesn’t require a flush but I’ve never felt that much would be accomplished either way. So i typically do just water them the last week or so and allow the nutrients already in my soil mix to do it’s job. I don’t feel like flushing nutes down the drain and feeding them again in the last week imo is doing just that. But this has been a very interesting read and a lot of interesting opinions have been shared.

You’ll have to wait for someone else to rip you. Haha.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I am still reading and the more i read the more it seems flushing definitely has benefits but how much I can't say and the majority of difference in bad taste would likely come from the drying process as thats the process responsible for breaking down the chlorophyll. But i did confuse the 2 processes. Drying and curing are 2 different processes and produce different results. Drying will affect the break down and oxidization of chlorophyll and will halt after the plant is dead (depending on plant and conditions it kept under will affect how long). This helps to get rid of that nasty taste and done to quickly will leave a lot of chlorophyll behind. This can aided by reducing the amount of chlorophyll in the plant before harvest. But (and there always is a but) essentially doing this is just extending the drying time and the plants is just dying at a slower pace than when you cut the plant down allowing it to break down the chlorophyll longer and potentially removing more chlorophyll from the plant. Now the real question becomes is there a process of drying that allows for the complete breakdown of chlorophyll. If so then there would be no need to flush. If not then flushing would be of benefit to some degree. This would explain why ppl have such differing opinions on the matter.

Curing is the fermentation of the sugars storing in the buds... yada yada. whole nother topic.

I'm going to keep reading and figuring this out (on to plant processes and how they break down, transport and use nutrients to try and figure out if there is a way to eliminate chlorophyll without slowing growth) Its not looking good so far . I will continue to post anything i find relevant.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So it appears Ethylene gas (plant hormone) will induce production of Chlorophyllase which is responsible for breaking down chlorophyll but also will negatively effects trichome production and causes fruit to ripen faster (terpene ripening). Finding the right dose/duration of exposure etc. would be more problems than its worth. I'm guessing this is not good route to take (for the possible minimal gains) and the more traditional slow dry would be the most contributing factor. If its still not ridding the plant of chlorophyll then flushing would aid (duration of flush would be determined by previous harvests) As with most things i try to find a better way to do the methods used are likely still the best.

If a process with a ratio could be determined i would say otherwise and this would also speed up the curing process but again without that info your likely to make overripe terpenes

And that's all for my thinking out loud on this.

NGA

NGA

Flushing hmm,hydro you need to flush,dirt a lot of guys say they don't but if your cutting back on nutes that in fact is flushing ,had many online discussions and the census is just about everyone flushes one way or another

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There are ways to rid the plant of Chlorophyll after plant is dead... wanted to correct this. Water curing might be a good last ditch option to save your bud if you fuck up your drying to fast and it smells like hay (lots of chlorophyll left in). Light will degrade chlorophyll but will also increase the breakdown of THC.

Oh and the reason the flush works is the plant is starved from nutrients so it tries to shutdown its ability to photosynthesize as a survival strategy. Thus breaking down chlorophyll.

Last edited:
NGA

NGA

Flushing just rids the weed of the nutes taste ,has nothing to do with hay smell

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Flushing just rids the weed of the nutes taste ,has nothing to do with hay smell
You sure about that?
Can you explain why weed smells like hay and what you mean by rids the weed of nutes taste?
Or do you mean rid the weed of nutes period?

DismalDude

DismalDude

You sure about that?
Can you explain why weed smells like hay and what you mean by rids the weed of nutes taste?
Or do you mean rid the weed of nutes period?
Personally I think the hay smell comes from improper drying meaning drying too quick.This is why I do a dry trim rather than a wet trim and hang the entire plant.The leaves wrap around the bud and ensure a slower drying process.As far as flush or no flush I've done both in soil and for me there's no question,I'll flush from now on.I get a much better flavor,it burns better and leaves a clean white ash.No science needed for me it's just better hands down.I'm also of the belief that you do what works for you.

DismalDude

DismalDude

There are ways to rid the plant of Chlorophyll after plant is dead... wanted to correct this. Water curing might be a good last ditch option to save your bud if you fuck up your drying to fast and it smells like hay (lots of chlorophyll left in). Light will degrade chlorophyll but will also increase the breakdown of THC.

Oh and the reason the flush works is the plant is starved from nutrients so it tries to shutdown its ability to photosynthesize as a survival strategy. Thus breaking down chlorophyll.
I did a water cure right by the book once.For me it was just a bunch of hogwash.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Personally I think the hay smell comes from improper drying meaning drying too quick.This is why I do a dry trim rather than a wet trim and hang the entire plant.The leaves wrap around the bud and ensure a slower drying process.As far as flush or no flush I've done both in soil and for me there's no question,I'll flush from now on.I get a much better flavor,it burns better and leaves a clean white ash.No science needed for me it's just better hands down.I'm also of the belief that you do what works for you.
Exactly the drying temp/humidity and time allow for the chlorophyll to be broken down through oxidization. If this is done to fast your left with chlorophyll leaving a hay smell and bad taste. Flushing is more than likely beneficial to everyone unless they can get all of the chlorophyll out in the drying time and i find it very unlikely. The curing is the fermentation of sugars and that's what improves the taste over time a small amount of oxidization occurs during curing but not enough to rely on nor fix buds that smell like hay. Thats why I was saying doing a water cure would be an option but that has its own drawbacks.

100% agree with you

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I did a water cure right by the book once.For me it was just a bunch of hogwash.
Yeah it rids the bud of chlorophyll so it should get rid of the hay smell taste but also will lower overall THC and wipe out most of the smell taste period. Good and bad.

Top Bottom