Flushing is a bad practice based on flawed science.

• Thread starter YarraSparra
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

As a simple metaphor, I wouldn't fatten a pig for the slaughter only to starve it in its last week. The plants do draw on sugar reserves, but they need to take up most nutrients through their roots.

You aren't incenerating the pig and inhaling it into your lungs either...are you? Do you think it uses up everything in the soil the same day you stop pouring shit into the dirt from a bottle? I don't think so. As a wise man once said...Im glad I only smoke what I grow.

Also...just wanna throw this out there...too much Mag will make herb burn black and hot as a mutherfuck too. MGG

T

toquer

I wonder. If I give one just water for 8 weeks what the ash will burn like. In theory it should use up everything in the soil and run deficient by the end. Right? Soil is amended prior of course. But three months later it should have no nutritional value.

NagaKing

NagaKing

You aren't incenerating the pig and inhaling it into your lungs either...are you? Do you think it uses up everything in the soil the same day you stop pouring shit into the dirt from a bottle? I don't think so. As a wise man once said...Im glad I only smoke what I grow.

Also...just wanna throw this out there...too much Mag will make herb burn black and hot as a mutherfuck too. MGG

If that is your attitude, you probably shouldn't be smoking at all. ;)
You think that flushing somehow removes all that "shit from a bottle" out of the plant tissues?
It's incorporated into them!
Plants, like us, are made up on chemicals.
If you were to flush all of them away, you would end up with exactly nothing.
No plant is going to translocate precious nutrients out of their buds and to elsewhere in the plant just because you've starved it.
It makes zero sense. Those buds are the entire purpose of the plant's existence.
Everything until that point has been in preparation of flowering and setting seed.
Stressig that plant by depriving it of nutrients will not encourage it to move nutrients away from its reproductive organs. It's near the end of its life anyway, at this point the primary goal of the plant is to set seed, not to grow bigger.
If you don't want "shit" in your buds, don't pour "shit from a bottle" into their media.
The concept of flsuhing is akin to the concept of detoxing. Neither has credible science to support them.

Last edited:
Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

If that is your attitude, you probably shouldn't be smoking at all. ;)
You think that flushing somehow removes all that "shit from a bottle" out of the plant tissues?
It's incorporated into them!
Plants, like us, are made up on chemicals.
If you were to flush all of them away, you would end up with exactly nothing.
No plant is going to translocate precious nutrients out of their buds and to elsewhere in the plant just because you've starved it.
It makes zero sense. Those buds are the entire purpose of the plant's existence.
Everything until that point has been in preparation of flowering and setting seed.
Stressig that plant by depriving it of nutrients will not encourage it to move nutrients away from its reproductive organs. It's near the end of its life anyway, at this point the primary goal of the plant is to set seed, not to grow bigger.
If you don't want "shit" in your buds, don't pour "shit from a bottle" into their media.
The concept of flsuhing is akin to the concept of detoxing. Neither has credible science to support them.
I love how some people try to equate everything in the world to growing herb. It doesn't work like that all the time and all the analogies that you can come up with doesn't change the fact that I've smoked herb that hasn't been flushed and it tasted and burned like shit. I never said the buds " translocate" a damn thing. If you would actually take the time to read you would see that what I wrote was that giving them water the last cple times they need it in flower allows for them to USE UP the excess. Big difference than " translocating"...but I do like that word LOL. I've seen enough of em go through my flower room to know that doing this doesn't stress em a bit.

With that said I'm not gonna argue with you...grow it how you like...and I'll do the same. I've been growing for damn near 30 years and I really get a kick outta some of the ridiculous nonsense that has come about lately. You just keep smoking your herb...we will see how your lungs like you in 10 years. MGG

NagaKing

NagaKing

I love how some people try to equate everything in the world to growing herb. It doesn't work like that all the time and all the analogies that you can come up with doesn't change the fact that I've smoked herb that hasn't been flushed and it tasted and burned like shit. I never said the buds " translocate" a damn thing. If you would actually take the time to read you would see that what I wrote was that giving them water the last cple times they need it in flower allows for them to USE UP the excess. Big difference than " translocating"...but I do like that word LOL. I've seen enough of em go through my flower room to know that doing this doesn't stress em a bit.

With that said I'm not gonna argue with you...grow it how you like...and I'll do the same. I've been growing for damn near 30 years and I really get a kick outta some of the ridiculous nonsense that has come about lately. You just keep smoking your herb...we will see how your lungs like you in 10 years. MGG

All good, not lookig to argue either.
To each his own and all that...
If you notice a difference, then do it. If not then don't.
Better to try and decide than to blinding follow. :)

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
So who is for, and who is against flushing. Let's get some hands

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Indeed. I'm still checking this thread out. Currently I flush but I COULD get on the fence if a good enough debate pops up

Plasma

Plasma

1. Robbing plants of essential nutrients at any stage of their life cycle is NOT beneficial for growth. I challenge anyone to provide a single peer reviewed paper from a reputable journal that provides evidence suggesting otherwise.

Yo Professor Wankfactor I grow my bitches in plain water from week 1, never used nutes in my life and get 5g/watt of light, nugs are pure THC with a bit of bud sprinkled in - so don't give me your science gibberish.

I’m just kidding, brilliant thread, thanks for input. Great discussion in here from everyone!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah but then do you recollect the runoff and reuse it? Otherwise that an awful waste of nutrients?
I do, but not on the cannabis, it goes onto other plants I have.
So who is for, and who is against flushing. Let's get some hands
I'm against it because the entire practice is predicated on overusing fertilizer.

That said, I'm one of those fans of the fade, but I've learned to achieve fade without flushing. I've even posted about how to do it here. :o

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I'm against it because the entire practice is predicated on overusing fertilizer.

That said, I'm one of those fans of the fade, but I've learned to achieve fade without flushing. I've even posted about how to do it here. :eek:

IMO using nutes until the day you take the axe to em is also an overuse of fertilizer. I don't even think what most of us are talking about here is actually "flushing" Flushing, by most peeps definition, is putting 3gals of water through for every gal of soil. I dont consider what I do a literal "flush", I just don't use nutes those last couple times they need some moisture, which it seems is what most are considering to be flushing. Not a real flush at all IMO.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Get your fade on, im for flushing a good 10 days in soil.3 to 4 in hydro seems to work well for me also.
I do, but not on the cannabis, it goes onto other plants I have.

That said, I'm one of those fans of the fade, but I've learned to achieve fade without flushing. I've even posted about how to do it here. :eek:
@Seamaiden whats the name of your post?

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Those who claim not flushing results in bad taste create a false dilemma ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma ) as is typical for discussions about growing mj, especially the classic topics. The truth is in reality usually somewhere in the middle. Not flushing does not factually equal bad taste in every situation. It's of course not that black and white. Don't over fertilize the medium and you don't have to flush the medium (or more specifically "leach" elements from the medium). "Flushing plants" is just... well... :wacky:

I don't have a medium so I can't flush either, I just lower my ppm (to 250, includes 180-ish tapwater) and specifically lower the N drastically to barely nothing the last 5-7 days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom