Flushing is a bad practice based on flawed science.

• Thread starter YarraSparra
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stkyfngaz

Stkyfngaz

i thought as long as you are under 500 PPM it is still considered flushing, and that is what most people do, feed them a small amount right up until the end.
I don't measure my ppm's, only check my ph. Although I do lean towards lighter feedings somewhat. When I'm in veg I tend to push them kinda hard. In the veg stage they're kind of dispensible. Once in flower can, different story.

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

i didint even realize this was an old thread haha! but yeah, from what i have gathered this seems to be the consensus :
too low a nutrient concentration can cause the plant to shut down too soon and prevent proper ripening.

Therefore, having some—but not too much—base nutrient in your growing medium will allow your crop to finish properly. The correct concentration for flushing is 500 ppm or less to achieve optimum flavor in your harvest.

that being said i would still be inclined to only give water the last feed or two !

Stkyfngaz

Stkyfngaz

thanks for the knowledge on the subject!
It's wut we're here for to share info, but look. Have you ever used just grow phase nutes for a finish. I was going thru this thread very carefully, and noticed that phosphorus is dangerous towards the finish. So with that in mind, you want a light N and little P but strong K, that's grow nutes all day. At 1-2 ml a feed, I don't see nothing wrong. Feedback appreciated on this one. Haven't tried it yet but leaning towards it...

Stkyfngaz

Stkyfngaz

And yes this thread is old af! But worth every bit of info contained in it. Went thru it twice, had to filter thru tha dik swingin to get the good stuff...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It's wut we're here for to share info, but look. Have you ever used just grow phase nutes for a finish. I was going thru this thread very carefully, and noticed that phosphorus is dangerous towards the finish. So with that in mind, you want a light N and little P but strong K, that's grow nutes all day. At 1-2 ml a feed, I don't see nothing wrong. Feedback appreciated on this one. Haven't tried it yet but leaning towards it...

I have used only a grow ratio to the end for years. Just need to taper the feed strength down as they ripen and need less.

ahemait

ahemait

That yarrow guy still come around?
I'd sure love to pick that guy's brain, or like, devour it and gain his powers...

>.>

<.<

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

And yes this thread is old af! But worth every bit of info contained in it. Went thru it twice, had to filter thru tha dik swingin to get the good stuff...

What good stuff?
The realization that internet pot growers think taste buds are a myth while simultaneously claiming you can taste chlorophyll in a plant, which is scientifically impossible?

The realization that most Cannabis growers with the internet connection smoke garbage and get high off nitrate toxicity, not the weed itself?

The realization most growers will never see sticky weed again in their life that doesn't smell like a trip to the river?

The fact most hydro growers don't have taste buds or a gag reflex, literally cannot feel a Sativa, have never been trippy African high, use fake terpenes/sweeteners and still argue about quality/flavor like their opinion matters?

Flushing is real, and I'll prove it without having to rely on dumbass fake e-pot e-growers who live in fantasy Instagram land smoking plastic carpet flavored (unflushed) bud:

There. 3 seconds of intense Google labor to shut all you poison pushing fools down.

Let's see. Let's watch the flip floppers say "Cannabis is different, its special" aft demonstrating the opposite routinely. If unflushed hay can kill giant fuckin cows? You cock suckers might as well be butr raping the people you sell to with a mace.

You internet pot growers fit the perfect stereotype of lazy and stupid a destructive the society. Thought you grotards were work working against the reefer madness image but you're still running around claiming insane shit that doesn't exist in reality (like that flushing is a myth, sensi indo weed is better, cookies is medicine, skunk is bad, distillate gets you higher and weed gets its pungency from terpenes (which aren't pungent). All e-grower bullshit. Someone needs to write a fucking book. Someone educated. The fucking forums and the placebo kids growing unflushed vinyl flooring e-weed, RIP American weed..

God damn "flushing is a myth" for fucks sake...

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What good stuff?
The realization that internet pot growers think taste buds are a myth while simultaneously claiming you can taste chlorophyll in a plant, which is scientifically impossible?

The realization that most Cannabis growers with the internet connection smoke garbage and get high off nitrate toxicity, not the weed itself?

The realization most growers will never see sticky weed again in their life that doesn't smell like a trip to the river?

The fact most hydro growers don't have taste buds or a gag reflex, literally cannot feel a Sativa, have never been trippy African high, use fake terpenes/sweeteners and still argue about quality/flavor like their opinion matters?

Flushing is real, and I'll prove it without having to rely on dumbass fake e-pot e-growers who live in fantasy Instagram land smoking plastic carpet flavored (unflushed) bud:

There. 3 seconds of intense Google labor to shut all you poison pushing fools down.

Let's see. Let's watch the flip floppers say "Cannabis is different, its special" aft demonstrating the opposite routinely. If unflushed hay can kill giant fuckin cows? You cock suckers might as well be butr raping the people you sell to with a mace.

You internet pot growers fit the perfect stereotype of lazy and stupid a destructive the society. Thought you grotards were work working against the reefer madness image but you're still running around claiming insane shit that doesn't exist in reality (like that flushing is a myth, sensi indo weed is better, cookies is medicine, skunk is bad, distillate gets you higher and weed gets its pungency from terpenes (which aren't pungent). All e-grower bullshit. Someone needs to write a fucking book. Someone educated. The fucking forums and the placebo kids growing unflushed vinyl flooring e-weed, RIP American weed..

Flushing is merely a tool and so are you. ;-)

Stkyfngaz

Stkyfngaz

What good stuff?

I

Stkyfngaz

Stkyfngaz

@RippedTorn
I don't quite know how to respond to your post. Part of me wants to school you, another part wants to spare us both. I'll prefer the later. Honestly I don't think it'll reach where ever your brain is tucked, also from your name, simply put someone done already ripped torn you another a-hole. 😎. That would explain your obvious disdain for the very people your creepily lurking around trolling.

Jakkolantern

Jakkolantern

I would like to question the practicality of flushing for the last week. Actually, I am openly challenging the entire notion of it (hehe, just for a bit of fun) but seriously now... it’s in dire need of revisiting.

I will list some points that not only challenge the absurd impracticality and illogicality of this myth, but point out how the pseudoscience behind it is fundamentally flawed (as is all pseudoscience) and can be countered by what is known about basic plant biology.

1. Robbing plants of essential nutrients at any stage of their life cycle is NOT beneficial for growth. I challenge anyone to provide a single peer reviewed paper from a reputable journal that provides evidence suggesting otherwise.

2. If this was practical, wouldn’t you expect all big agricultural hydroponic growers adopt the same practice?

3. Plants take minerals into their tissues, from their roots via the treachery elements; i.e. xylem. Once these minerals are in the plant, they are there to stay, the plant does not expel them, unless it’s through senescence-driven abscission of leaf petioles. From the treachery elements nutrients are translocated into the phloem - the plant’s ‘blood supply’ - after being integrated into various biomolecules, or are used for various metabolic functions. Where is the logic in thinking the plant ‘uses’ these up in that last week of flushing, in order to avoid smoking them? All the N P K Fe Mg Ca etc. is still there.

4. For arguments sake say we counter the last point by suggesting these minerals in their ‘raw form’ will taste ‘hasher’ or ‘nastier’ in the form of pyrolytic breakdown products (formed when weed is burned) than artifacts of larger biomolecules of which these minerals/macro nutrients are now a part of, for example phosphorylated PO43-. Even if this was the case it still doesn’t correlate with the myth, as the transports steam in the treachery elements is measured in minutes not a week. i.e. a PO43- molecule does not wait around in these vessels for a week before subsequent translocation and modification.

5. If there was any truth to this myth, then plants grown in soil would always taste worse than plants grown in hydro. Why? Because obviously soil is not an inert medium you can flush for a week. And a plant CANNOT distinguish between a PO43- molecule that comes from soil from that of a PO43- molecule that comes from hydro solution (which also debunks another myth, but we’ll leave that one).

6. Are there studies that have conducted double blind trials to investigate if flushed weed tastes any ‘sweeter’ than unflushed weed. Again, need peer reviewed papers. And doesn’t have to be weed, can be strawberries or any other type of fruit.

7. What is the proposed mechanism to support this myth, and how is it consistent with fundamental plant biology.

8. How does starving the plant of food in the last week increase thc production in the trichome? Papers?

9. Given, under certain conditions stressed plants upregulate certain defence compounds, but they will almost certainly produce less inflorescence weight per watt of light. Growth is always retarded under stress - not promoted. Nutrient starvation is a form of stress. Looking for peer reviewed papers that suggest otherwise.

Those of you set in your ways, each to their own and best of luck to you. Those who are willing to change their views in light of new evidence, or lack thereof, be ready for increased yields by feeding those hungry ladies right up until the second you chop.

YS
YS I agree a flush is not good. But I know why they do it. They are only getting a benefit of reduced chlorophyll in the final bud. This reduced the need for a cure. So flushing is just a half baked replacement for a proper cure. And the only improvement will be for those who plan on smoking it by week 2 after harvest. Prove me right...

Jakkolantern

Jakkolantern

Black ask is from smoking
chances are the black ash or harsh burn people experience is due mostly to the stuff sprayed on it? even compost teas with leave residues we probably should
How poorly grown are your herbs if you can't tell the difference between flushed and unflushed flowers??? Gotta have the fade or its garbage IME.
How would you accomplish a fade on a outside grow. And if that's not possible than are you making the argument all outside grown aka not faded weed is garbage? I think the fade would most likely only slightly reduce your cure time and I overall have no positive effect.

Jakkolantern

Jakkolantern

I dump once a week. When I ran coco I’d flush once a week for a couple of hours during their night cycle. I advocate for this because you get nutrient imbalances that a cf meter can’t read. But this is different to flushing for a week at the end of harvest.
The plant does have some healthy range control of nutrients coming into the plant from the roots. Unless a deadly amount of nutrients are given... Any salt build up at all kills cannibis plants almost instantly as they are not resistant to salt at

Jakkolantern

Jakkolantern

What good stuff?

None of that was even close to a complete well thought out argument...Sounded like the ramblings of a madman.

Sjt257

Sjt257

Flushing is real, and I'll prove it

He thinks his personal taste buds qualify as universal “proof”. In science, personal experience is never proof. If he wants to say this is his personal truth, fine with me. If he wants to say that based on his taste buds, he would recommend flushing, I’m OK with that. But if he is recommending to growers that they should flush just prior to harvest because it is a universal fact that flushing will remove excess nutrients from flower tissue — well, that’s a pretty good example of bro-science. Boy is he in the wrong place.

Not trying to feed his trolling but so others don’t become misled ... — The publication he links to has absolutely nothing to do with flushing. In fact, flushing is not mentioned once in the article. We can all agree that nitrates are bad for you; the question is (one of them), is it biologically possible to remove fertilizer stored in the flower tissue with flushing.

I also wonder, with flushing, are any raw nutrients that may be sequestered In the flowers metabolized to a more useful form. I’m not talking about leaves which are both phloem sinks and sources, but flowers, which, while I have been told is sink-only, I have not read it from a trusted source.

Incidentally, in a different comment I think someone doubted the method of drying out the flowers to measure the residual nutrients. I think this method is pretty established in plant science. My memory and understanding is that the water content of undried plants is variable between plants; you must hold all variables constant between the test and control groups except for what you’re testing. unless, of course, you are practicing bro-science and believe that using only your tastebuds you can discover all about nutrient transport and assimilation in plants.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What good stuff?

This doesnt prove your point at all as usual.

“Flushing” doesnt remove anything from the plant only the medium.

And the article shows weather and seasons as the cause of the toxicity. We can control uptake with fertilizer and control environment in our rooms so using your own current argument the outdoor “organic” grown plants would likely show toxicity easier than the terrible horrible hydro growers.

Nice try troll!

Top Bottom