Flushing Questions

• Thread starter BDGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BDGrows

BDGrows

Ok so I am about to start my flush, which should last for two weeks, and I was wondering if this would be a good idea or not? What I was thinking, was changing the water daily for the first four days, then changing it weekly. I’m going to use bottled RO (its only a 4gal setup and the water here is to hard) that’s been pH’ed at 8.5-6.1. So I was wondering if when I am starting the weekly flush if I should add molasses and if so, how much? The molasses is a water soluble version from npk industries, which is supposedly made for hydroponic systems. I was wondering if I should add it, or, is it just stoner science and doesn’t benefit the flavor and smoothness? I’ve been reading around the boards and it seems like using it in hydro systems is not a good idea; but I’ve also read where its very beneficial and to some its irreplaceable. Thanks for the advice and sorry for the novel.

- BD

sixstring

sixstring

if your in hydro i dont think you want to do such a long flush,you will kill your yields and the plant will fade in about 5 days because the water is everything.soil growers do a longer flush because it takes more time to clear out or use up whats already in the soil and root system.but in hydro this happens very fast.and molassas will be a mess in your hydro system.i did it when i grew in dwc buckets but in that setup you only need to replace airstones and clean up your buckets,nothing else gets gunked up.but it works differently in soil than it does in dro.in dro it just goes straight to the plant and if i had to guess might make it harsh.in soil it is used to feed the soil micro herd a lil bit.totally up to you but i would not do a 2 week flush in dro,nor use molassas.peace

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Why do you feel the need to flush? Do you hammer in the nutes over 2000ppm? Do you use pesticides, pgr, boosters, ect? There is absolutely ZERO need to flush unless you fucked up. I haven't flushed in 4 yrs, minus my toilet.

Last 2 weeks, just water only as normal. No need to drown your plants. They will deffinately thank you come harvest.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

No, Flushing is for newbie thinking (actually drinking the Kool aide) it's needed to get a good harvest.

What your doing is not considered a flush. Just a normal water only last 2 weeks. Which most experienced grower does. Not putting 3x water to pot size. That's Flushing.

BDGrows

BDGrows

So basically just keep topping off my res until the grow is over? Dont keep adding nutes to the RO'd water and just let the EC dwindle down?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
So basically just keep topping off my res until the grow is over? Dont keep adding nutes to the RO'd water and just let the EC dwindle down?
Ph the water you add of course, if you do that the plant will use the chlorophyll in the leaves to feed the buds and make the end product less harsh.

BDGrows

BDGrows

Ph the water you add of course, if you do that the plant will use the chlorophyll in the leaves to feed the buds and make the end product less harsh.

Of Course. I am honestly getting excited this close to harvest; I never thought id be able to grow some decent stuff! But, from the odor and the looks, it doesn't look half bad for a first time grow I think. Here's a photo of one of the side cola's I took...
IMG_1321.jpg
image url

Checked it under the scope and it looks as if the trichomes on the buds have doubled in quantity! It's exciting seeing the buds becoming more and more frosty. So I've been reading about drying and curing, and I was wondering if I should cut the major fan leaves off a few days before the big cut, and when I do the big cut, should I just cut branches off and hang those, or should I chop her off at the base and hang the whole thing? Thanks you all for the help!

- BD

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Dry trimming is much much easier, you just knock the leaves off with your fingers. Leaving it intact also slows the drying process by a day or two which is also good.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

plants don't use chlorophyll as food as their food source. Chlorophyll pertains to the green. They store their food in their leaves. Reason why the last 2 weeks of growing, if you go water only, you'll notice your fans yellowing out. The plants feeding on its stored nutes in the leaves.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/chlorophyll

The Terps

The Terps

But the cloriphile process strokes sugars in the leaves and stem by giving a 9-14 day flush you are moving the stored sugars from the leaf into the bud making a flower with higher brix counts. 100% for the flush

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

lol one should start flushing second week of flower to the end mj plants do not need anything specially last 3 weeks you know,
When any fruit bearing plant needs it the most .

So the next question is ok ? i have to follow the MJ Myth bible.
As in flushing you know last couple weeks is really important to flush.

But wait a min WTF am i really flushing i followed this bible stating second week of flowering my Nitrogen is less my P is more but as most bibles mention and YES even most nutrient companies put on there feeding schedules .
Shows last few weeks we really are adding less P slowly lowering nutrient strengths but still giving them low dosages of N in the equation so that last week of flower was like 3rd week of veg 600 - 700 ppm less N in the equation

YAY then why should a person have to flush ???
There is already less Nitrogen and phos applications then it was in second week of flowering
SO WTF gives oh yeah the harsh taste from N right lol seriously can someone please tell me what Nitrogen tastes like ???

Now when we look at nutrients what are we really flushing in a plant ?? when we look at all elements
you got to be fucking serious to think just by leaching or flushing that the only Nutrients N and P get removed what about the rest

Mobile nutrients are nitrogen in the form of nitrate, phosphorus (P) in the form of phosphate, potassium (K)

magnesium (Mg), chlorine (Cl), zinc (Zn) and molybdene (Mo). Calcium (Ca), sulfur (S), iron (Fe), boron (B) and copper (Cu) are immobile.

Brings a new meaning in why bother flushing at all .
N and P are needed right up to chop day just back off last week

Stop starving a plant thinking your doing good , when your only harming the plant and your self as in yield ..

Wow would you look at them nice yellow fall leafs ?? so it must be the same for marijuana we need to yellow them off as well lol

Here is some common sense I am going to only say once take it or leave it.

In nature its not that soil gets depleted of nutrients its soil temps cool down so micro life also slows down there fore less nutrients available .
In some cases plants will excrete nutrients down into the soil to attract miccrobes and feed them it works hand in hand

But the fact remains soil temps drop there fore less nutrient availability..

Same thing applies in hydroponics and why optimal water temps are important

You want to force deficiencies in plants drop root zone temps and air temps that is how mother nature does it Right

maybe drop your water temps 5 - 10 - 15 degrees and watch what happens

Bottom line is your forcing a deficiency and stressing your plant

BDGrows

BDGrows

Well I saw my first few (as in 1 per 100) amber trichomes! Ive noticed she also isnt up taking nutes anymore (checking daily ppm and they more or less hold until I dilute the res more). So Im hoping that she's done sometime in the next week or so...

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

4 yrs and no flushing

Do crop fairs flush lettuce, cabbage, tomato, corn, ect. He'll no.

Properly grown room with out flushing. Tell me I'm doing it wrong. Lol

A proper cure and dry trumps a bull shit flush any day.
20160707 222323

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I trim wet and use dry racks. I rotate the buds 3x daily. Never had flat spots, ever!

Slow dry 75* 50%rh is perfect

Wait until stems snap, but not completely break. Put into jars with rh gauge. Burp 2x daily until rh stabilizes at 55%. Put into storage. No more need to burp if 55% for 24hrs.

If rh is still spiking, keep burping.

Done.

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

I definitely agree with what is being said here. The idea you must flush for 2 weeks is a myth! I run an undercurrent system and start cutting plants after one day of ec at 0.2 or less. I have never noticed a difference in taste or how it burns from the stuff cut after 1 day compared to 7 days. Sure soil I would flush for a week but that's mostly to remove build up in the container. As nightwatch said I agree atmosphere is more important than cutting your plants off from all nutrients.

OldPine

OldPine

@DemonTrich - just curious if you ever used to hang whole branches / colas or if you went for the drying racks from day one?

Have you looked at the post from @YarraSparra regarding fast drying ( Any thoughts?

Top Bottom