Foam in the nutrient solution.

• Thread starter Sponty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sponty

Sponty

Good morning/afternoon.

I finally managed to get my RDWC system up and running after what seemed like forever setting it up!

I mixed up the nutrients solution for 50L (10.9gal) and ran it though the system and left it overnight. The next morning there was loads of foam in the buckets. Is this foam normal and just oxygen bubbles?
There is an air stone in 4 of the 5 buckets. Just not the control bucket.

It has the Shogun range of nutrients mixed in with H202 as it's hard to get beneficial bacteria here!

Foam in the nutrient solution 2
Z

Zill

How much of your equipment was new, fresh, never been used. Dump, rinse and try it again. Might be fine though.

Sponty

Sponty

I'd say about 90% was new. I ran plain water through it all a few times before filling it up because I sprayed everything down with Silver Bullet Mist Spray for equipment before hand.

I'll check the pH tonight and see if it has jumped.

Z

Zill

Sponty,

Take a small amount of the fertilizer and place a jar with water. Put a lid on and shake like hell? Did that foam?

Sponty

Sponty

Sponty,

Take a small amount of the fertilizer and place a jar with water. Put a lid on and shake like hell? Did that foam?
Okay, I'll take a dip from the tank and see if it foams up. If it does or doesn't what does this mean? The plants don't seem sick either they seem completely fine.

Z

Zill

If the plants are not suffering neither should you. What is silver bullet mist spray?

Sponty

Sponty

If the plants are not suffering neither should you. What is silver bullet mist spray?
I know what you're saying but I don't want it to suddenly do something dramatic to them and for them to die. Silver Bullet Mist Spray is a H202 in spray form designed to clean hydroponic equipment or any gardening equipment.

They do a Silver Bullet Roots which is H202 you mix into the nutrients solution and a Silver Bullet Mist for cleaning equipment.

Z

Zill

Jeez, if you're going to disinfect with peroxide at least go by a bottle at drug store and spray that. They steal money from you.

Cool your jets. It’s already happened and the plants are still grinning. You could always dump and start up fresh. City or well water?

Z

Zill

Don’t forget once the container is opened the peroxide is good for about 4-6 months depending on temp, bottle fullness, number of open and closes, etc.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
I use a good amount of H2O2 cleaning my hydro systems, that amount of foam is not common.
That foam is from the reaction of nutrients (organic material) and the peroxide.?.
Only time I get any bubbles is when I add Dr Zyme to the resv

Sponty

Sponty

I use a good amount of H2O2 cleaning my hydro systems, that amount of foam is not common.
That foam is from the reaction of nutrients (organic material) and the peroxide.?.
Only time I get any bubbles is when I add Dr Zyme to the resv
I did add a product is that Shogun do called "ZenZym" but I can't say I've experienced this foam before when I did DWC. There shouldn't be anything organic in there from what I can think of.. it's all new.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
I did add a product is that Shogun do called "ZenZym" but I can't say I've experienced this foam before when I did DWC. There shouldn't be anything organic in there from what I can think of.. it's all new.
what I was thinking. Your Zenzym is a collection of enzymes and the will cause foam. What was the amount you added to your resv?

Sponty

Sponty

what I was thinking. Your Zenzym is a collection of enzymes and the will cause foam. What was the amount you added to your resv?
So my reservoir is 50L in total, providing food for 4. I think I added around 125ml to 50L. I believe the bottle states it should be added at a rate of 2.5ml/L.

I wonder if I should get to scrape some of this foam off.

Sponty

Sponty

Sorry I should have stated. One bucket didn't have an air stone in because I didn't have one at the time. This was the only bucket without the foam.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
I run one ounce for 20 gallons of Dr Zyme.

Dump and run without the enzymes the foam will go away. If you see algae etc then run enzymes but it doesn’t take much

Sponty

Sponty

I run one ounce for 20 gallons of Dr Zyme.

Dump and run without the enzymes the foam will go away. If you see algae etc then run enzymes but it doesn’t take much
Okay I'll give that a go! Is it going to cause any harm to the plants if left for another 3-4 days? I don't have enough food for another batch at the moment. It should arrive within 3-4 days.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Okay I'll give that a go! Is it going to cause any harm to the plants if left for another 3-4 days? I don't have enough food for another batch at the moment. It should arrive within 3-4 days.
You know the cause and it’s nothing to worry about. Nutrients soils and additives from big box stores are for your yard and flowers, not cannabis.👍

Sponty

Sponty

You know the cause and it’s nothing to worry about. Nutrients soils and additives from big box stores are for your yard and flowers, not cannabis.👍
Well don't I seem silly... The more I sat here thinking about enzymes and the foam it hit me.... ZenZym made by Shogun Fertilizer is introduces bacteria into the system and I'm putting H2o2 in. I looked up on the website a little more to see if I can find anything and managed to find this:
Screenshot 20240321 1903182

Z

Zill

That’s not quite true Jaden.

Growing cannabis is just like growing any other plant/vegetable. I use miracle grow/ Epsom salts and iron sulphate. Miracle grow from a big box.

If your growing I dwc/aeroponics/hydroponics. That’s tough regardless whether you’re growing cannabis or Lycopersicon.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
That’s not quite true Jaden.

Growing cannabis is just like growing any other plant/vegetable. I use miracle grow/ Epsom salts and iron sulphate. Miracle grow from a big box.

If your growing I dwc/aeroponics/hydroponics. That’s tough regardless whether you’re growing cannabis or Lycopersicon.
I was referring to shelf fertilizers and products such as this. Hydro really is simple, but it comes with a learning curve

Top Bottom