Fogponics. As good or better than Hydro?

• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh yeah, she knows my love language alright. I'm not even sure what that means, but I hear it all the time.
5 love languages…. Worth a look into but you 2 must be doing something right… if i would hazard a guess she knows them and subtlety teaching you…. Of course im just a stupid boy so dont hold my beer on that one

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

B815C3FE CF4A 4C14 9F14 50E901D1B1B4

Ready to start the next chapter in nutes. I guess I gotta go learn how to store and mix. I’ll get larger quantities locally if this works well so maybe 5gallon pails like for food storage? Another pail as a mixing vessel or do I need to go large batch? 40 gallons would fill all 4 res. Maybe a drum and a pump? Airstone to stir it?

This might work with the castor wheels

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 1294321

Ready to start the next chapter in nutes. I guess I gotta go learn how to store and mix. I’ll get larger quantities locally if this works well so maybe 5gallon pails like for food storage? Another pail as a mixing vessel or do I need to go large batch? 40 gallons would fill all 4 res. Maybe a drum and a pump? Airstone to stir it?

Container and mixing pump is what i found easiest

Anthem

Anthem

View attachment 1294321

You got the goods now you just have to follow the directions. Good luck Moe. Please let me know your option the clone nutrient base. I am impressed with that one. Also the clone stuff is the most hydroscopic. It needs to be sealed in an air tight container

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I got the seeds wet on these 9/11. They took a week average to germinate, these were worrying me a bit early on. So a little over 4 weeks since they popped thru the coco and started taking light.

They have all had multiple clones taken from them, and they are recovering.

It also took me 3 weeks to get my system dialed in, but now the software is written, and EC is figured out. I started them with very low light and ran them that way (200-300 PPFD) for the first several weeks while I played with my lighting and environment, and I never turned on the CO2. I have also reconfigured several times to optimize. When these show sex, I'm gonna clone the shit out of whatever one @Moshmen wants and then I reconfigure again with an empty tent. I'm trying to keep the roots out of standing water, and that takes some hardware changes. Again.

Now that I have it dialed in and clones in the cloner, this next run will be the speed test. I'll give them everything including CO2 and higher PPFD. Let the temps up too. Time to let the bridle out with these clones.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hey, I moved this over here because I am already clogging Aqua's thread with my BS

Man you got the manifestation of most of what I've only dabbled in hobby-wise over the past decade or so. I'm just gonna spend the next few years trying to emulate all the shit you do if that's alright 🤣

Thanks for the inspiration... pockets b'damed!

If you are interested in Microgreens, you can see my setup in the video in this post from a few years ago

beluga

beluga

Hey, I moved this over here because I am already clogging Aqua's thread with my BS

If you are interested in Microgreens, you can see my setup in the video in this post from a few years ago

Any and all! I'll probably find tons to soak up if I look a little harder, wasn't sure how much you've posted on your non-canna related stuff in the past.

I'd love to get a good fungi thread going with the peeps here. All of them seem to fizzle out and are pretty rudimentary. I'd like to get into the nuts and bolts more 🤓... once I'm back in practice that is.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Any and all! I'll probably find tons to soak up if I look a little harder, wasn't sure how much you've posted on your non-canna related stuff in the past.

I'd love to get a good fungi thread going with the peeps here. All of them seem to fizzle out and are pretty rudimentary. I'd like to get into the nuts and bolts more 🤓... once I'm back in practice that is.
Sounds great bro. I'm in once I get thru all the dev work I'm doing and have a stable grow in place. Right now I am not growing a single thing other than cannabis - this little project has become all consuming for the most part. But I'll start it up again next year. My customers would like that too.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Taking a poll here for the top minds of the farm. That means you.

Do you think a 1" deep nutrient water mix along the bottom of the tote in that enriched O2 zone will act as an O2 buffer of sorts? In other words, will that water take on O2 and hold it to be released later as parameters change, or would I be better off to have no standing water?

Anthem

Anthem

Taking a poll here for the top minds of the farm. That means you.

Do you think a 1" deep nutrient water mix along the bottom of the tote in that enriched O2 zone will act as an O2 buffer of sorts? In other words, will that water take on O2 and hold it to be released later as parameters change, or would I be better off to have no standing water?
The temperature of the water plays into this. Higher water temperature hold less DO, or I read the information incorrectly

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The temperature of the water plays into this. Higher water temperature hold less DO, or I read the information incorrectly
yes, this is true. I have gotten my res temps way down with software now - probably in the 75F range on average.

I'm trying to debate if there is any benefit to leaving some water in the totes, or just keep them drained. I'm leaning towards just keeping them drained so I have a full fogponics system, and not a hybrid where the top is fog - out of the water, and the bottom roots in the water get rope like al la RDWC.

If I don't hear a compelling reason to leave some water in the totes, I'm going to make the change to keep them drained. Requires drilling and a bit of work, so trying to make sure I am not making a mistake.

Anthem

Anthem

yes, this is true. I have gotten my res temps way down with software now - probably in the 75F range on average.

I'm trying to debate if there is any benefit to leaving some water in the totes, or just keep them drained. I'm leaning towards just keeping them drained so I have a full fogponics system, and not a hybrid where the top is fog - out of the water, and the bottom roots in the water get rope like al la RDWC.

If I don't hear a compelling reason to leave some water in the totes, I'm going to make the change to keep them drained. Requires drilling and a bit of work, so trying to make sure I am not making a mistake.
You have some amazing looking roots. What ever you are doing now seems to be better than anything I have ever seen. I went back to look at the pictures to see if I could find any difference between the roots at the top and bottom and from what I can see the look identical. If it is not broke do not fix it would be my suggestion

Moshmen

Moshmen

Course I’m not a hydro guy yet! Lmao but I can’t imagine standing water being good for anything except bacteria?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Course I’m not a hydro guy yet! Lmao but I can’t imagine standing water being good for anything except bacteria?
Putting roots in water is the hydro way. We combat bad bacteria by either building a colony of desirable bacteria that out-colonize the bad ones and starve them out, or we run with peroxide in the water to kill everything - some root cells included. I choose the former, and I have zero worries about root rot. Not for years.

The reason the water needs to stay moving in a typical hydro system is to keep O2 up primarily. Active bubblers and stuff. But that's at atmospheric O2 levels. I'm 3X higher, and Henry's Law no longer applies.

TLDR - this is healthy water the plants want. Only downside is exudates can build up. Nutes can become unbalanced. So it needs to be drained from time to time anyhow.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You have some amazing looking roots. What ever you are doing now seems to be better than anything I have ever seen. I went back to look at the pictures to see if I could find any difference between the roots at the top and bottom and from what I can see the look identical. If it is not broke do not fix it would be my suggestion
Kind words from an amazing grower. I wasn't fishing for complements, honest.

I think I will cut it in half, and leave about 1" in the bottom.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah i feel as long as the water ph/ppm stay stabilized it wont cause any harm.

im in the camp of whatever is easier. I think the water will equalize with the atmosphere around it in terms of gasses. I have a feeling though that less is going to be better to a point and that some of the runoff can be recycled for efficiency but that comes at a slight risk also, even if no more than any other flood and drain system, rdwc or other recycling system.

it would provide a little more safe in term of a buffer for failure though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom