Fogponics. As good or better than Hydro?

• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I push the boundaries. Sometimes destructively, but always instructively. Follow along and laugh and learn with me if you wanna try to chase maximum plant potential!

So it's no secret I have been working with Aqua man on some new ways to do things. This is what I am working on in my part of the world.

5A5ADC28-E965-4D4A-B350-27D604D2F7D0.jpeg
90AD7D71-4C0E-47D4-8AB1-F6D3BE30B426.jpeg
15BA6172-DD78-4144-822C-1DC85BE4C0A6.jpeg

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The black box contains electronics so I can control timings with software. Here are the values I'm starting with:

// THESE CONSTANTS SET THE TIMING AND FUNCTIONALITY *******************************

/* 10 seconds is 10000
* 1 minute is 60000
* 5 minutes is 300000
* 10 minutes is 600000
* 1 hour is 3,600,000
* 6 hours is 21,600,000
* 18 hours is 64,800,000
*/

const int FogInterval = 30000; // number of millisecs between fog cycles
const int ResFanInterval = 10000; // number of millisecs between Res Fan cycles
const int PowerHeadInterval = 10000; // number of millisecs between PowerHead cycles
const int LightInterval = 10000;
const int TentFanInterval = 60000;

const int FogDuration = 50000;
const int ResFanDuration = 3000;
const int PowerHeadDuration = 10000;
const int LightDuration = 10000;
const int TentFanDuration = 60000;

I'm going to open source all this stuff, if we have any hackers or makers out there, I'll share the designs and the software for this project, just ask.

A normal timer does not give me the amount of control I want to see what the set points SHOULD be.

I'm also using Aqua's design on this to inject O2 in the res. After steady state is achieved, there should be 90% O2 in the res atmosphere / root zone.

Lots more, I'll post it up as I have it.

50FE9666 80A6 492D B803 F5A5C7F740D3

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So what I am trying to accomplish here is to maximize growth rates and plant vigor. It's my feeling that Fogponics done correctly may just be the best possible system.

The theory is that you have an atomized mist of water, nutrients, beneficial bacteria, enzymes, and beneficial fungi along with a near O2 saturation root zone, the plants have everything they need at all times. As long as I get the nutes right that is.

There is a positive pressure in the res, which pushes the nute / O2 laden air up thru the coco coir.

Other grow setpoints are maintained with typical methods - temp, RH, light - etc.

I'll be tracking things like Dissolved O2 and atmospheric O2 along with all the other normal setpoints. I should be able to set a VPD and the system maintains it.

I'll also be measuring cannabinoids and other important stuff, reporting back as well.

Should be an interesting grow. If you are a geek like me anyhow.

G

Godfish

I love this idea and I'm going to watch, But couple of things come to mind? I've heard sense the 70's how plants can benefit from playing classical music, but how would an ultrasonic transducer effect them? seams like it would be like nails on a chalkboard? and will the Ultrasonic transducer actually atomize the nutrients or will it just build up on the transducer like hardwater does, they say to use distilled water with them for that reason.

Anyway can't wait to see the outcome.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I love this idea and I'm going to watch, But couple of things come to mind? I've heard sense the 70's how plants can benefit from playing classical music, but how would an ultrasonic transducer effect them? seams like it would be like nails on a chalkboard? and will the Ultrasonic transducer actually atomize the nutrients or will it just build up on the transducer like hardwater does, they say to use distilled water with them for that reason.

Ever run a humidifier with tap water? It will cover everything in minerals once dried

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Welcome to the farm.

We will see how this plays out. I’m certainly not expecting zero problems, that never happens for me. I’ve been ruining ultrasonics for years now and none of the plants asked me to change the channel yet 😉

tobh

tobh

Supporter
out of curiosity, what kind of longevity are you expecting out of the foggers? i've read a bit here and there about using them for cloning, but the major issue I've seen is they clog up super quick when using salt nutrients. have you ran into such issues before? if so, how do you overcome these problems?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

out of curiosity, what kind of longevity are you expecting out of the foggers? i've read a bit here and there about using them for cloning, but the major issue I've seen is they clog up super quick when using salt nutrients. have you ran into such issues before? if so, how do you overcome these problems?
You can use anything that breaks down salts but its not the salts that usually plug them its the organics

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The disks are replaceable. They just screw in.

Clean weekly change start at a grow. Could probably go longer but they are cheap.

pilto

pilto

Are you running a fan inside the water reservoir where the roots are hanging?

EDIT TO ADD

That was inarticulate. I mean, are you running another fan to pull fresh air into the reservoir tub from outside? Or just the one that is inside the tub being used to move the fog around?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Just the fan in the res. It's waterproof. I've got it dialed as slow as it will go just to give things a little push with 3 second pulses. I found that if I did not do that I'd have a fog so thick you could slice it, 5" tall and well short of the roots.

I just 3D printed a little deep sea platform with a pivot up top so I could figure out the best placement and angle. I'll move things around as I see it needs it.

In terms of hanging roots, 2 things:

This is a nursery only. There will not be large roots. There is no benefit to not moving them to the main system as soon as they are established.

My prediction is overall root mass will be smaller as less is needed due to efficiency.

I'll be totally honest and show you guys the good and the bad. Fogponics could be a bust. But I'm gonna throw everything I have at it to see.

Observationist

Observationist

I push the boundaries. Sometimes destructively, but always instructively. Follow along and laugh and learn with me if you wanna try to chase maximum plant potential!

So it's no secret I have been working with Aqua man on some new ways to do things. This is what I am working on in my part of the world.

View attachment 1280810View attachment 1280812View attachment 1280811
View attachment 1280813
View attachment 1280814
What’s the micron size that the ultrasonic produces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom