Fogponics. As good or better than Hydro?

• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So I mentioned that I have the heat problem solved, but I am going to add something like this into the tiny sumps in the fogponics totes. Man I gotta start naming this crap.

EC3B099F 1DD2 4C52 8BB3 FB296C835D11

That one is too small, restricts flow. But I'm heading from this post to go research and buy the right ones. I'll hook these up in each fogger sump to chill the water with an external chiller. I have a chiller currently not in use, so in it goes.

I don't have to use it, but I'd like to see what difference it might make. I'll put them on valves so I could do it to just one for testing for example.

@SweetLeafGrow that is your reducer, it will go out USPS tomorrow.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I wonder if this would be an even better option than directly chilling the water, chill the whole res:

Radiator

I could mount that to the fan in the res perfectly, and run the chiller thru it. Then I could literally set the root zone temp to whatever I wanted. That's really interesting to me, I've always wondered about root temps and people who water with ice at the end of grows...\

EDIT:
I ended up getting the last 2 of the radiators, but they will not be here for a while. I also got a wort chiller on the way, I'll have options.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I can't imagine any other grow parameters that are not under control with this root zone chilling addition. Am I missing anything?

Starting from the bottom, I can either (measure) and or [control] the following:

[Root zone temp (Temp Probe)]
[Amount of vapor visually]
[Amount of O2 (DO Probe)]
Nutrients (EC Probe)
PH (PH Probe) + [PH Dosing]
(Specific Gravity, TDS, microSiemens, Salinity all in the EC probe)

The following are all controlled
Air flow
Air Temp
Air RH
VPD
Filtration
PPFD
Spectrum
DLI
CO2

The lighting is IMO optimal. Check out Raging Kush 2.0. It has separate drivers for the channels allowing full PPFD if you have nothing but Red or Blue on. And the spectrum is fully customizable.

Here are some screen shots of the app that runs them:

A67B9066 70D1 4DD6 B4C2 605230B7C32B
A1A9BFEA 1437 4DC4 9736 C71E602D95EA
88D832AC 620C 4D92 8254 C25AD121A7D8
38AC7554 7730 410B 9E5E 98837D7A3950
1B4DDA51 D868 42FB 9418 C20AEE2B308D
995AD919 0423 4E3B BCDD 17597BB3D3EF

I'm showing you the tip of the iceberg here, honestly I'm overwhelmed. So many ways to run this grow, really too many.

beluga

beluga

I'm showing you the tip of the iceberg here, honestly I'm overwhelmed. So many ways to run this grow, really too many.
Am I to assume correctly you're the type to keep a spreadsheet with final weights, etc. in relation to the parameters they were grown with?

I was trying to imagine how many side by sides you'd have to do to see what each parameter set does, but then I realized, y'know... data.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Am I to assume correctly you're the type to keep a spreadsheet with final weights, etc. in relation to the parameters they were grown with?

I was trying to imagine how many side by sides you'd have to do to see what each parameter set does, but then I realized, y'know... data.
The grow parameters being measured will be stored in a database and I can export to a CSV. Happy to share the raw data.

As far as yield, you are going to have to trust me. But I'll show the result in a way that seems trustworthy.

But yeah, my DIL is a data scientist. She can extract info out of the weirdest things when you give her a database with raw data and a keyboard.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

This will help with the yield

65D4F62B A8BE 4832 AC38 49A852ECE05A

626FE851 6D1A 4EB7 9697 7E4F596F49C8

812D7264 4F67 4CC4 99C2 ED14C3CBC33A

The top pic is the dry area. Each sheet gets logged with what is on it, wet weight, you know.

The bottom pic is the gopro mount over the harvest table. I typically have 4 people trimming wet while I manage the weighing and logging while feeding them from the tent. I run a gopro on time lapse to record the harvest. I also make everyone strip down so I can make sure they are not stealing any.

I should be able to satisfy that I'm not fudging.

Res change all done, cleaned the disks:

My whiteboard does not have spell checker, spelled your name wrong :(

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

I push the boundaries. Sometimes destructively, but always instructively. Follow along and laugh and learn with me if you wanna try to chase maximum plant potential!

So it's no secret I have been working with Aqua man on some new ways to do things. This is what I am working on in my part of the world.

View attachment 1280810View attachment 1280812View attachment 1280811
View attachment 1280813
View attachment 1280814
Be careful with such fine microns. If caution given using an ultrasonic humidifier with tap water vs distilled the nutrient concentrations should raise extreme caution. I think that was a consideration with nasa and micron size of 50 or 30 microns can't remember which.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
@N1ghtL1ght, I'd love your input on how to run these lights. We can create our own recipe including changing thru the day. It's a big toy really.
Moe, how does the full spectrum look when all channels are at maximum?
I'm trying to get an idea about the relative strength of specific functional wavelengths like e.g. 730nm

Jay13.aka.DutchStuff

Jay13.aka.DutchStuff

@N1ghtL1ght, I'd love your input on how to run these lights. We can create our own recipe including changing thru the day. It's a big toy really.
But yeah, my DIL is a data scientist. She can extract info out of the weirdest things when you give her a database with raw data and a keyboard.

Hi guys,

here I can share some info with you again.
Prof. Bruce Bugbee I know very well, his videos were two years ago virtually my guide for the re-entry into growing.
He says some interesting things about the spectrum.
1. the distribution between 400 and 700nm has no influence on cannabinoids in their studies.
2. they currently use up to 80% red diodes (in terms of PAR per watt (i think? not sure tbo)) to be as efficient as possible in energy consumption. (Red diodes can produce photons from electricity more efficiently).
3. hemp needs about 5 minutes after sunrise to convert the maximum light dose. Longer sunrises do not make sense.
4. hemp can convert light most efficiently in the first hours.
5. the DLI is good with co2 enrichment at 60 approximately - but even higher yields have been achieved at 70 DLI - without co2 increase he says the DLI would probably be ideal between 40 and 50.

All statements from his many videos. It is quite possible that more recent studies have produced different results, but these statements may also help you a bit. In any case, I see him as a person who knows this very well through his work and whose statements you can therefore follow somewhat 🙂

And moe, your room gives me a lot of inspiration for my interior planning - I definitely need to get a white-board too, and much more 🥲

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Be careful with such fine microns. If caution given using an ultrasonic humidifier with tap water vs distilled the nutrient concentrations should raise extreme caution. I think that was a consideration with nasa and micron size of 50 or 30 microns can't remember which.
Sorry, I don't know what we are talking about here.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hi guys,

here I can share some info with you again.
Prof. Bruce Bugbee I know very well, his videos were two years ago virtually my guide for the re-entry into growing.
He says some interesting things about the spectrum.
1. the distribution between 400 and 700nm has no influence on cannabinoids in their studies.
2. they currently use up to 80% red diodes (in terms of PAR per watt (i think? not sure tbo)) to be as efficient as possible in energy consumption. (Red diodes can produce photons from electricity more efficiently).
3. hemp needs about 5 minutes after sunrise to convert the maximum light dose. Longer sunrises do not make sense.
4. hemp can convert light most efficiently in the first hours.
5. the DLI is good with co2 enrichment at 60 approximately - but even higher yields have been achieved at 70 DLI - without co2 increase he says the DLI would probably be ideal between 40 and 50.

All statements from his many videos. It is quite possible that more recent studies have produced different results, but these statements may also help you a bit. In any case, I see him as a person who knows this very well through his work and whose statements you can therefore follow somewhat 🙂

And moe, your room gives me a lot of inspiration for my interior planning - I definitely need to get a white-board too, and much more 🥲
Thx for the reminder.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Moe, how does the full spectrum look when all channels are at maximum?
I'm trying to get an idea about the relative strength of specific functional wavelengths like e.g. 730nm
I'll play with it tonight and post up some pics, thx.

Jay13.aka.DutchStuff

Jay13.aka.DutchStuff

Just a few thoughts to this that somehow just spontaneously occurred to me - no idea why just now, have read this over half a day ago 😌
Although id be curious to see the impact of a root prune in the tap root. I haven’t studied this enough to have an educated opinion bit it is possible and id say likely it could have the same effect as topping???

From a botanical point of view, I would not suspect any influence.
When topping, the auxin distribution changes and the plant is deprived of the highest shoot, which would grow the strongest with normal auxin distribution.
If you shorten the roots, it has no effect on the hormones that I know of. If there are any, I strongly suspect that they are very different from the above reaction.
All you are doing is reducing the amount of water, nutrients and oxygen that the plant can take up/utilize.
One gardening tip I know is that when transplanting plants, you should compensate for the resulting root loss by cutting back above the roots so that the root mass returns to match the leaf mass and transpiration area.
My guess would be that you're just putting the plant under unnecessary stress and thereby limiting its growth in the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom