Foliar spraying after nutrient lockout

• Thread starter Tsigaros79
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tsigaros79

Hello guys,

My plants suffered a nutrient lockout and are currently recovering (5th day after having fixed the problem) and i came up with the idea of foliar spraying until their roots come back to normal.

I sprayed them yesterday with 20% of recommended fertilizer quantity mixed with water.How many times per week can i do that?I spray them with bio-grow and cal-mag.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I don't know how often you can foliar feed, but I'm wondering what locked out the nutes? Was in calcium? Might not be a great idea to spray with cal/mag, if that's the case.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Really high ec (5.0).Still can't figure out how that happened.
what substrate are you running the plants in
and after flushing were are you now on the ec scale?
have you determined the cause of the lockout

Last edited:
T

Tsigaros79

what substrate are you running the plants in
and after flushing were are you now on the ec scale?
have you determined the cause of the lockout
I am using a general soil for seedlings from my local store.
Yep i flashed to 0.9 ec.
I can't determine what caused the lockout.,meaning the really high ec.I fed them once a week with 1ml/l bio-grow and 1ml/l cal-mag.Both were low dosages as the companies suggested 1.5-2 ml/l.
I made a hypothesis that the cal-mag (grotek cal-max) may have caused the lockout as it contains 2% nitrogen.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I am using a general soil for seedlings from my local store.
the purpose of nurseries offering general soil to its customers is due to the selection of plants offered by such nurseries. in general, home plants are a lot more hardy to conditions such as being in overly saturated soil as well as the ability to endure dry spells and surviving on little to no nutrition.
cannabis for example is opposite to this in that it is sensitive to the wet/dry cycle and in its nutritional requirements.
I can't determine what caused the lockout.,meaning the really high ec.I fed them once a week with 1ml/l bio-grow and 1ml/l cal-mag.Both were low dosages as the companies suggested 1.5-2 ml/l.
correct those are low doses, assuming you are referring to biogrow as in, the biobizz product. cal-mag products often carry a npk ratio that need to be taken into account when used in conjuction with other nutrients containing high levels of n and adjusting accordingly. for example a calmag product consisting of 12-0-0 +Ca + Mag would require some thought when used with biogrow 4-3-6, here flowering specific nutes may come in handly by easily mixing into the example of 12-0-0. products such as a diluted atami bloombastic 0-14-14, comes to mind.
consider strongly to switch out your soil and look into making a super soil, have found nothing available that would give you similar results or experience of using such a balanced soil. the typical garden soil is no good for cannabis on its own, but may be added together as part of a base for your recipe.

Last edited:
T

Tsigaros79

the purpose of nurseries offering general soil to its customers is due to the selection of plants offered by such nurseries. in general, home plants are a lot more hardy to conditions such as being in overly saturated soil as well as the ability to endure dry spells and surviving on little to no nutrition.
cannabis for example is opposite to this in that it is sensitive to the wet/dry cycle and in its nutritional requirements.

correct those are low doses, assuming you are referring to biogrow as in, the biobizz product. cal-mag products often carry a npk ratio that need to be taken into account when used in conjuction with other nutrients containing high levels of n and adjusting accordingly. for example a calmag product consisting of 12-0-0 +Ca + Mag would require some thought when used with biogrow 4-3-6, here flowering specific nutes may come in handly by easily mixing into the example of 12-0-0. products such as a diluted atami bloombastic 0-14-14, comes to mind.
consider strongly to switch out your soil and look into making a super soil, have found nothing available that would give you similar results or experience of using such a balanced soil. the typical garden soil is no good for cannabis on its own, but may be added together as part of a base for your recipe.
My calmag is 2-0-0.My fertilizer is indeed bio-grow from biobizz.I still can't explain the high ec.Here are some photos of my babies.They are 2 months old but as you see they were stunned.These photos were taken after i pruned all the sick leaves.
IMG 19700116 071334
IMG 19700116 071403
IMG 19700116 071450

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

consider applying foliar spray about 2 hours after lights off, but not sure the stomata are gonna be open much as they usually are when soil is dry, depending on the conditions in the soil (moisture) the plant responds differently to humidity around the stomata and roots. dont skip checking ec with every feed, this is an issue with bottled nutrients.
the constant measuring and watering associated with growing in soil is pushing me on a fast track to hydroponics with monitoring and or controller components. not telling you soils sucks i love soil, but there are many reasons to switch.

Last edited:
T

Tsigaros79

consider applying foliar spray about 2 hours after lights off.
and dont skip checking ec with every feed, this is an issue with bottled nutrients.
the constant measuring and watering associated with growing in soil is pushing me on a fast track to hydroponics with monitoring and or contoller components.
How many times per week should i spray?I mixed 0.25ml of cal-mag and 0.25 of bio-grow with 1l of water to get my spraying solution.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

consider applying foliar spray about 2 hours after lights off.
and dont skip checking ec with every feed, this is an issue with bottled nutrients.
the constant measuring and watering associated with growing in soil is pushing me on a fast track to hydroponics with monitoring and or contoller components.

Why do you recommend foliar feeding at about 2 hrs into the darkness cycle? This would be the worst time to saturate your plants especially indoors with the RH at its highest point.

I don't disagree with foliar feeds. It's an excellent way to fix deficiencies. However, there's 2 times that I would NOT be spraying down my plants. A) Right before or during lights off ... and ... B) During flowering when the buds are beginning to get some size through to the end of harvest.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

My plants suffered a nutrient lockout and are currently recovering (5th day after having fixed the problem) and i came up with the idea of foliar spraying until their roots come back to normal.
what do you mean by roots come back to normal, my assumption was that the zone around roots are waterlogged.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Why do you recommend foliar feeding at about 2 hrs into the darkness cycle? This would be the worst time to saturate your plants especially indoors with the RH at its highest point.
agree the high humidity in the environment at lights down are not the best for foliar spray when not running any dehu. im giving advice based on the other parameters being in check
foliar during lights on, together with associating higher temps.isnt optimal as evaporation defeats the purpose

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

agree the high humidity in the environment at lights down are not the best for foliar spray when not running any dehu. im giving advice based on the other parameters being in check
I'd stay clear from spraying them down during lights off regardless of de-huey or airflow. Instead, turn the lights down to their lowest and spray during the lights on cycle. Then once the foliage is dry, return the light to its original intensity.

mrfreeze682

mrfreeze682

are there any good guides for liquid nutes? im new to growing but im leaning towards coco and doing the gaia green super soil stuff. this is a thread im watching because i dont know what nute lock is caused by but slowly im learning. thanks for the great feedback!

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I'd stay clear from spraying them down during lights off regardless of de-huey or airflow. Instead, turn the lights down to their lowest and spray during the lights on cycle. Then once the foliage is dry, return the light to its original intensity.
turning the intensity and temperature down is good for foliar but not so much if he/she is experiencing waterlogged soil and is trying to dry it out. remember overwatering and high ec is much more damaging than underwatering with low ec. coming back from underwatering is instant. let them dry out and dont worry too much about the nutrition uptake for only a few day maybe 2-3 depending on the soil and gradually start watering/ feeding as per label instructions soon after. maybe starting out with a lower ec feed and check run off..
then again i dont water till runoff, ever. unless i really high and get distracted

T

Tsigaros79

I'd stay clear from spraying them down during lights off regardless of de-huey or airflow. Instead, turn the lights down to their lowest and spray during the lights on cycle. Then once the foliage is dry, return the light
turning the intensity and temperature down is good for foliar but not so much if he/she is experiencing waterlogged soil and is trying to dry it out. remember overwatering and high ec is much more damaging than underwatering with low ec. coming back from underwatering is instant. let them dry out and dont worry too much about the nutrition uptake for only a few day maybe 2-3 depending on the soil and gradually start watering/ feeding as per label instructions soon after. maybe starting out with a lower ec feed and check run off..
then again i dont water till runoff, ever. unless i really high and get distracted
I lowered light intensity as soon as i flushed the water to help them recover faster from the lockout.I am currently waiting on water to dry out to give them their first feed.The temperature is adjusted with a heater.I have led lights (300w) that do not produce much heat anyway.Any tips for drying out the soil faster?

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

are there any good guides for liquid nutes? im new to growing but im leaning towards coco and doing the gaia green super soil stuff. this is a thread im watching because i dont know what nute lock is caused by but slowly im learning. thanks for the great feedback!
your interested in guides for liquid nutes but considering gaia green. im confused.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Tune into @Shaded_One's thread. He's done outstanding with the gaia green method.

One thing though. Coco and super soil are not anywhere close to the same thing. Coco lacks nutrients and requires feeding where super soil (done right) is "water only" as everything is supposed to already be in the organic rich soil mix. Choose one or the other but don't attempt to combine them into one method. Coco is coco and should not be treated as soil. Both can give excellent results so one isn't clearly better than the other. They simply are not interchangeable. They are not the same.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Tune into @Shaded_One's thread. He's done outstanding with the gaia green method.

One thing though. Coco and super soil are not anywhere close to the same thing. Coco lacks nutrients and requires feeding where super soil (done right) is "water only" as everything is supposed to already be in the organic rich soil mix. Choose one or the other but don't attempt to combine them into one method. Coco is coco and should not be treated as soil. Both can give excellent results so one isn't clearly better than the other. They simply are not interchangeable. They are not the same.

Sounds like @Blastfact grow method might be up his alley. He does quite well with coco and GG whereas my method uses a peat based medium so might not translate the best over to that style.

Top Bottom