forced to go organic

• Thread starter audius
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
audius

audius

as the thread says. anyway my question is how well does horse poop work as a fert. i got no cash for nutes & my babys just started streching. any help

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Forced? U say it like its a bad thing...
I don't recommend horse manure. If u want to use animal byproducts, stick with Guanos and earth worm castings. I'm hearing that chicken and goat shit is good to use, but they need to be fed right.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Horse is nice because you can get it for free from any of your neighbors or friends who happen to stable horses. Most of the time they pile all the poo and straw bedding in one place for years and years. If you can get some old stuff then its great. Just get ready to weed from all the seeds in the poop and bedding.

Rabbit farmers are another good choice.

Check craigslist. All kinds of free poop on there.

waayne

waayne

Well aged horse manure will work,but if it's fresh you're more than likely gonna burn your plants with it..

There are numerous manures and guanos that would be far better than horse manure

altitudefarmer is right on point regarding ACT

Personally I'd head to my local garden center or feed store and grab a small bag of worm castings,alfalfa meal ,bone meal
kelp meal ,and molasses
These ingredients will provide you with a ACT that your girls will love

audius

audius

yes i have a bounty of horse poop. just no cash to buy nutes. or tea for that matter. but i will look into the tea mix. thanks gang.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Well aged horse manure will work,but if it's fresh you're more than likely gonna burn your plants with it..

There are numerous manures and guanos that would be far better than horse manure

altitudefarmer is right on point regarding ACT

Personally I'd head to my local garden center or feed store and grab a small bag of worm castings,alfalfa meal ,bone meal
kelp meal ,and molasses
These ingredients will provide you with a ACT that your girls will love

This is on point! Just don't dump the sludge at the bottom of the bucket; instead, put some on top of the soil in every bucket as top dressing and water through it. The reason is that many organic inputs don't come in a water soluble form, bone meal being one of these. Put it in the ACT as Waayne suggested, as that will start the breakdown process, but don't throw it away- instead, put it where it will do the most good.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

i have a buddy who keeps ducks because his son is allergic to chicken eggs...he says they make some of the best fertilizer he's used. he mixes it with compost and top dresses 3-4 times once the stretch starts.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
as the thread says. anyway my question is how well does horse poop work as a fert. i got no cash for nutes & my babys just started streching. any help
Assuming it's from healthy horses, I would use it in a heartbeat. I would get some composting right now, but I would also use what's available as a tea, brewed for about 24hrs, very actively aerated. I would treat it as hot if it's fresh, and I would start with about 1C dry matter to 5gals water, work my way up or down from there.

Combine that horse shit tea with some piss (10% is a good place to start) and a little bit of wood ashes and YOU would have a 100% complete fertilizer. How ya like them horseapples?

I used to show horses for many years during my youth, and my mother bred a few of her own mares. I speak horse fairly well, just haven't ridden one in years (my shit's all rickety now, probably couldn't mount up anything more'n 14hds).

audius

audius

Hello Seamaiden, yes the horses are very healthy, got 3 here . mom used to ride jim cana. so im all over that tea mix you gave, got everything on that list lol thanks again.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Let us know how it works out for you. I wouldn't be surprised if you decide you're never going back to bottled fertilizers. :)

Top Bottom